The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Military Forces Arrive In Syria  (Read 97745 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russian Military Forces Arrive In Syria
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 01:16:08 AM »
We don't seem to read much about what the reasons are for wanting to remove Assad.

Our media missed that, not sure about yours, but I suspect similar. He is just grouped into the "baddies" box along with Putin and the ones you lot killed already in that region.

Take a look at this old article...... 

http://www.aina.org/news/20141026211214.htm

The Secret Saudi-US Deal on Syria and the Oil Gas Pipeline War

By F. William Engdahl - http://www.globalresearch.ca
Posted 2014-10-27 01:12 GMT

:coffeeread:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 02:24:25 AM »
A bloke by the name of Pepe Escobar, a journalist writing for Asia Times and others has something of a 'thing' about pipelines and the northern hemisphere's extensive, but largely invisible network of energy conduits.

He published a book called 'Empire of Chaos' a collection of several years of his columns. For an interesting background to events in the world today this book is well worth a read.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Chaos-Pepe-Escobar/dp/1608881644/ref=sr_1_3

Years ago, back when the Taliban was working on behalf of the US and it was openly acknowledged to be a US creation, that's as late as the early 90's, I read a very interesting book that described in depth the negotiations between competing groups for pipeline access to Afghanistan. The failure of those negotiations led directly to the US invasion in 2001.

Bottom line, control over this network of pipelines has been the core of US foreign policy for several decades and has been behind all the wars that the US has fought for a generation. The US controls access to marine energy transportation but, as yet, control of land based energy distribution eludes them.

As it happens, Russia controls access to, and across, most of the network - one reason for the EU 3rd Energy Package's demand that pipelines should not be exclusively under the control of a single party, or under the control of a party that is both transporter and producer.

In its turn, China's Silk Road concept is designed to provide China with transport security for its imports and exports while giving it a big say in the ongoing development of the Asian parts of Russian pipeline infrastructure.
It is both significant and interesting that the Chinese approach to distribution security is a collaborative one with clear mutual benefits as opposed to the more self centered US version.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
Western media is becoming very predictable.
Most headlines between Ukraine, and Syria read pretty much the same.
I personally hope Russia will give full military support to Syria.
Let other countries step up and take over, so the United states dose not have to foot the cost of another war.
Also why should our military sacrifice the lives of our enlisted, only to be ridiculed in return.

Russian Ships Headed to Syria, U.S. Officials Say

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-ships-headed-syria-u-s-officials-say-n424606

Exclusive: Russian troops join combat in Syria - sources

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0R91H720150909
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
Western Media thinks everybody are sheeple  :thumbsup:

Omit to mention Russia has supported the Al Assad dynasty for over 30 years.

Omit to mention that Russian has supported the Syrian regime since the start of the civil war.

I could go on and on.

The situation is being totally misrepresented.

Russia will continue to support its main Allie in the middle east.  It is stepping up supplies of high tech weapons to deter any attack on Syrian regime territory.  It will support the Assad regime if the west attacks.

All very understandable if you have ANY knowledge of the situation.

The USA and UK will NOT BE ALLOWED to depose Assad.  Russia would lose influence in the middle east if that were to happen.  This was the initial aim of the west fomenting civil war in Syria.

Offline Manny

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Let other countries step up and take over, so the United states dose not have to foot the cost of another war.
Also why should our military sacrifice the lives of our enlisted, only to be ridiculed in return.

The US started the wars in Syria and armed ISIS. It will be ironic if Russia has to fix that for you. I expect cancellation of sanctions, pressure to get the oil price up and acceptance of Crimea will be on the price list for that if it happens.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »

The US started the wars in Syria and armed ISIS. It will be ironic if Russia has to fix that for you. I expect cancellation of sanctions, pressure to get the oil price up and acceptance of Crimea will be on the price list for that if it happens.

No Manny, this was all planned out between Russia and China. :chuckle:

Fox News: Russia and China Plotted Migrant Invasion of Europe (Video)

http://russia-insider.com/en/media-criticism/fox-news-russia-and-china-plotted-migrant-invasion-europe-video/ri9635#
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
The real story behind the refugee/migrant
crisis in Europe is much stranger than fiction.

Here is the transcript!

http://stormcloudsgathering.com/euro-refugee-crisis

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »

If only those nasty Russians hadn't put their country so close to all those nice NATO forces and US bases...

Isn't it ridiculous!

Over the past few weeks I have been reading of how the USA, in particular, but not exclusively is using what has been called projection - a process whereby Russia, or occasionally some other chosen enemy of the hour, is accused of doing that which the USA has been busily doing.

I had not given this much thought but it is true. There is no rational way in which Russia or Syria can be blamed for the activities of the USA and their tool, ISIS/Daesh/IS/whatever. Syria's only 'fault' is having a legitimate government that is defending itself against US sponsored forces. The only remedy possible is to stop defending against those people the US and allies claim to be, themselves, fighting and surrender to what is, according to the US, a common enemy. At which point the whole of Syria will become a mass of refugee seeking to escape the butchery of the US chosen tool.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »

If only those nasty Russians hadn't put their country so close to all those nice NATO forces and US bases...

Isn't it ridiculous!

Over the past few weeks I have been reading of how the USA, in particular, but not exclusively is using what has been called projection - a process whereby Russia, or occasionally some other chosen enemy of the hour, is accused of doing that which the USA has been busily doing.

I had not given this much thought but it is true. There is no rational way in which Russia or Syria can be blamed for the activities of the USA and their tool, ISIS/Daesh/IS/whatever. Syria's only 'fault' is having a legitimate government that is defending itself against US sponsored forces. The only remedy possible is to stop defending against those people the US and allies claim to be, themselves, fighting and surrender to what is, according to the US, a common enemy. At which point the whole of Syria will become a mass of refugee seeking to escape the butchery of the US chosen tool.

I hate to admit it however when it comes to Syria the USA has been an abject failure at any sort of cohesive and logical plan.  This is of course a direct result of the idiot in the White House right now.  If Bush Jr. was still there we never would have left Iraq.  Leaving Iraq is what allowed ISIS to come into power.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Do you remember what V. Putin had to say to American people about Syria in his article in the New York Times?

A Plea for Caution From Russia

What Putin Has to Say to Americans About Syria

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/opinion/putin-plea-for-caution-from-russia-on-syria.html?_r=1

I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.”

It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
This part of an article, giving Poroshenko's opinion of the Syrian crisis.
I would have expected a bit more diplomacy,than such reckless accusations.
The United states sure hand picked a winner for Ukraine.
(Quote)
The West’s failure to counter Vladimir Putin’s “neo-imperial aggression” has led to the “little green men” who are now landing by their hundreds in

Syria, Ukraine’s embattled President Petro Poroshenko has claimed.

The Kremlin has become such a source of “threat to the entire democratic world” that it should, Mr Poroshenko told a conference in Kiev, be stripped of its veto in the United Nations Security Council. He claimed Russian aggression was instigating violence in the Middle East and further fuelling the growing refugee crisis in the EU. But behind Mr Poroshenko’s attempts to blame the Kremlin for two of the gravest situations facing the West – Syria’s civil war and the arrival of thousands of refugees in Europe – lies the unavoidable fact that his government is itself facing serious challenges.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-crisis-embattled-president-petro-poroshenko-blames-russia-for-wests-woes-but-has-no-answers-to-his-countrys-problems-10497254.html

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
Anyone have a prediction as to if, and when Russia will begin military action in Syria?

Russia sending advanced anti-aircraft missiles to Syria

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.675707

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
Anyone have a prediction as to if, and when Russia will begin military action in Syria?

In order for that to happen there will have to be a debate in the Duma, a bill will have to be raised authorising the deployment of troops outside of Russian borders.
Right now the limit is for trainers and advisers. There will already be security personel in place to keep watch on the existing infrastructure in Syria.

Bottom  line, just as with Ukraine, there will be no secret. Duma will if needed give the authority to the president to order troops to be deployed. Remember that there is no such authority at present.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
The western media, sure does make everything into a cold war situation, or potential ww3.

Russia to U.S.: talk to us on Syria or risk 'unintended incidents'

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0RB0ZD20150911

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »

In order for that to happen there will have to be a debate in the Duma, a bill will have to be raised authorising the deployment of troops outside of Russian borders.
Right now the limit is for trainers and advisers. There will already be security personel in place to keep watch on the existing infrastructure in Syria.

Bottom  line, just as with Ukraine, there will be no secret. Duma will if needed give the authority to the president to order troops to be deployed. Remember that there is no such authority at present.

Out of curiosity, about what time frame would be needed to get a green light?

Offline Manny

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »

Everything I have read suggests they are sending arms and equipment to Assad (as they have always done), some advisors and a few extra folks to the base they already have and are preparing the ground in case the decision is made to help out.

I have also read that starting with the semi-secret meetings of Kerry in Sochi a while back, and Nuland in Moscow, Syria was the real subject discussed.

One would imagine that in that scenario, they would prefer to work with the west quid pro quo rather than engage with America in another proxy war as with Ukraine. Common ground is needed. That America is still trying to block supply flights over Greece and Bulgaria suggests everyone is not on the same page yet. But I think, irrespective of how they came to be, all are on the same page regards ISIS. But the US wants Assad to go and Russia doesn't. I think the US will have to cave on that one. But we will see....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
The legislation might be pretty fast, except that the Russian people are not in favour of foreign action. They are not in favour in respect of Ukraine and certainly not in respect of Syria.

No matter how fast it is done the process is public, just as it was in the case of Ukraine and of the president ending that authorisation.

Russia is not like the USA in this stuff.

This is how we know that whatever your thought leaders are telling you to think that there are no troops fighting in Ukraine or in Syria.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 05:54:02 AM »
That America is still trying to block supply flights over Greece and Bulgaria suggests everyone is not on the same page yet. But I think, irrespective of how they came to be, all are on the same page regards ISIS. But the US wants Assad to go and Russia doesn't. I think the US will have to cave on that one. But we will see....

Bulgaria 'Agreed to Bar Russia from Overflying' - ex-CIA Official

http://www.novinite.com/articles/170730/Bulgaria+Denies+Overflight+Request+to+Russian+Cargo+Aircraft+Bound+for+Syria

Bulgaria agreed to stop allowing Russian aircraft flying to Syria into its airspace, a former CIA official has told CBS News.

In the words of former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell, the United States can respond to Russia's actions of strengthening its military presence in Syria by cutting off air routes it is using for shipments.

"One is to overfly Turkey. The Turks have said no. There's been a long history to that. The other way, and that's what's been happening, is over Bulgaria and Greece. But now the United States has reached out and the Bulgarians have agreed no more flights."

The Treaty of Lausanne was a peace treaty signed in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 24 July 1923. It officially settled the conflict that had originally existed between the Ottoman Empire and the Allied British Empire, French Republic, Kingdom of Italy, Empire of Japan, Kingdom of Greece, and the Kingdom of Romania since the onset of World War I.

BORDERS (From wikipedia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lausanne

The treaty delimited the boundaries of Greece, Bulgaria, and Turkey; formally ceded all Turkish claims on the Dodecanese Islands (Article 15); Cyprus (Article 20); Egypt and Sudan (Article 17); Syria and Iraq (Article 3); and (along with the Treaty of Ankara) settled the boundaries of the latter two nations.

It is evident that the treaty has not been signed by Bulgaria, the US, Ukraine and Russia.

Russia does not need Bulgaria to send its air force in the Mediterranean, and that apply for both, civil and transport aircraft's.

I do not think that the current temporary Greek Government  will take any action against Russia, overflying the international airspace over the Aegean sea, despite the huge pressure from the USA.

From this point of view, today's "blustering" of Bulgaria to Russia is at least funny. Bulgaria has an insignificant Air Force and is a member of NATO.

Russia, under an Annex of that Treaty may traverse with its aircraft and ships the narrow Black Sea - Aegean straights or (Bosporus Straights), with the only condition that Turkey is not at war and that the vessels do not carry war material for a belligerent enemy.

In this case, it has the ability to conduct boarding or to force the suspect aircraft to land for inspection on the ground. Bulgaria has no such possibility.

Turkey today is not at war with either Syria or Russia. It is rather doubtful that this situation may change in the near future on the initiative of Syria but if Turkey invade Syria, this could change.

PS NOTE: It appears our American puddle Zionist UK Government is hell bend to cause trouble with Russia, looking to find an excuse to get involved in bombing Syria.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34227249

RAF fighter jets intercept Russian planes over North Sea.  The MoD said fighter jets from RAF Lossiemouth intercepted Russian "blackjack" aircraft flying in international air space on Thursday. The Typhoon pilots escorted the Russian planes "whilst in the UK area of interest".

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »
All of this stuff is amusing...

Any substantial shipment of material will be by sea.  Russia can dispatch a convoy under naval supervision from any black sea port to Tartus naval base in Syria.  Unhindered passage is guaranteed by international treaty, as Wiz pointed out above.

The delivery of yet more SA22 anti aircraft missile systems indicates that Russia is precluding the option of air strikes against the Assad regime.  As this is just about the only direct action option for the western alliance, it reduces their threats to empty rhetoric...

The Spetsnez have been supporting the regime since the start of the civil war.  I think it very unlikely that Russian troops will sent in significant numbers.  Simply not necessary to deal with the current situation.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
Leave it to fox news to get the real story. :coffeeread:

Russian build-up in Syria part of secret deal with Iran’s Quds Force leader

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/11/russian-build-up-in-syria-part-secret-deal-with-irans-quds-force-leader/

Offline Manny

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
Leave it to fox news to get the real story. :coffeeread:

Russian build-up in Syria part of secret deal with Iran’s Quds Force leader

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/11/russian-build-up-in-syria-part-secret-deal-with-irans-quds-force-leader/

I try to avoid Fox but I watched that. What a pile of crap! Even the State Dept guy clearly said it wasn't a troop build up, and hidden in there is the news it is only 8 planes. But according to Fox, Russia is now helping Assad kill women and children in Syria?!?!  :eeekk:

Its not hard to see where some Americans get their nonsense if this is what passes as credible media there. Even the BBC are not that bad. No wonder RT are winning awards......

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
If anyone here has yet to see a movie called Wag The Dog can I please suggest getting a copy.

Made nearly ten years ago it has moved from black comedy to satire and, now, to meta documentary.
When you watch this piece starring Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman, no matter what your political persuasion, you will recognise the manipulation of the US populace and understand why I refer to 'thought leaders'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_Dog

And in Russian: Плутовство (фильм) https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%BB%D1%83%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE_%28%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC%29
This is what Americans have to live with every day! It is their 'normal'. It explains their cognitive deficits and shows that it ain't their fault!

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »

Everything I have read suggests they are sending arms and equipment to Assad (as they have always done), some advisors and a few extra folks to the base they already have and are preparing the ground in case the decision is made to help out.

I have also read that starting with the semi-secret meetings of Kerry in Sochi a while back, and Nuland in Moscow, Syria was the real subject discussed.

One would imagine that in that scenario, they would prefer to work with the west quid pro quo rather than engage with America in another proxy war as with Ukraine. Common ground is needed. That America is still trying to block supply flights over Greece and Bulgaria suggests everyone is not on the same page yet. But I think, irrespective of how they came to be, all are on the same page regards ISIS. But the US wants Assad to go and Russia doesn't. I think the US will have to cave on that one. But we will see....

Other than destroying ISIS, and hopefully with the cooperation of Russia, the USA needs to stay away from trying to force any further regime changes.  Getting rid of Sadaam Hussein may have been good for Bush Jr's ego but it has only caused tremendous blowback, not to mention loss of US Treasury to the tune of at least 1 Trillion dollars.

Hopefully the next USA President is a leader but not one who wants to start wars.   :coffeeread:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
Do you remember what V. Putin had to say to American people about Syria in his article in the New York Times?

How Ironic you would quote a guy who has seen the effect of people power in former E.Germany .. Not forgetting Syria without Assad means no Med Naval maintenance base..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
In German news today, Germany/France are openly discussing with Russia on protecting Assad and attacking ISIS.

Not what the USA likes.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria