The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Military Forces Arrive In Syria  (Read 97199 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russian Military Forces Arrive In Syria
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 02:40:02 AM »

It would have been far better had the Western powers never interfered.  Assad was/is a dictator but before the civil war started he was quite benign. Syria had a prosperous economy and a growing business class.

'Sure', it would have been better to let him carry on bombing demonstrators from the air ..

WHAT has - for example Britain 'done' ...our MPS - foolishly voted to sit on our hands' - based on the premise we screwed up re Saddam and Gadafi and we should let dictators massacre or it will be come our problem ...

That plan 'worked well'..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 03:10:36 AM »
'Sure', it would have been better to let him carry on bombing demonstrators from the air ..
At least people weren't drowning in boats trying to get the hell out of there. Fewer people died than now.

WHAT has - for example Britain 'done' ...our MPS - foolishly voted to sit on our hands' - based on the premise we screwed up re Saddam and Gadafi and we should let dictators massacre or it will be come our problem ...
If only other countries had done the same.

It did, or the mess we would have now with assad totally gone, magnified a thousand-fold.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »

At least people weren't drowning in boats trying to get the hell out of there. Fewer people died than now.

If only other countries had done the same.

It did, or the mess we would have now with assad totally gone, magnified a thousand-fold.

Markje,

When Assad was using tanks and planes to quell protests do you think we should have 'done nothing'? - ..Which is essentially all 'we've' done..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 04:17:12 AM »
The 'interference' in Syria is, as usual nothing to do with the benefits of Bashar al Assad as a human being. Just as it was not in Libya or Iraq in the cases of Ghadaffi and Hussein.

Syria is an important transit point for gas pipelines from the Middle East to Europe.

Assad does not want to have his country used to transit Qatari gas. Neither do the Russians, although their relationship with Syria goes back well before this bone of contention came up. The US wants to see Qatari and (probably Israeli) gas get to Europe and so do the Europeans.
Other local actors have their own reasons for promoting ISIS activity in Iraq and Syria, reasons which, for the time being, lead to a coincidence of cause.

ISIS is being used to remove Assad from power so that an amenable puppet can be put into power. (And lets not get into the whole 'is ISIS controlled by the US and its allies' - the evidence is plentiful to support that truth).

Any hand wringing over 'humanitarian issues' is simply a diversion for you lot, so that you will not bother thinking about what is really going on and so that you will support the terrible acts of violence against ordinary people.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 04:23:14 AM »
It would have been far better had the Western powers never interfered.  Assad was/is a dictator but before the civil war started he was quite benign. Syria had a prosperous economy and a growing business class.

It would have been better to read "Leslied" comments with your eyes opened and not closed. He knows better than you what he is talking about!

Didn't you know that those years have gone?

Our government should find a better way to occupy the army instead of using it to ...... improve Democracy around the globe, and been the puddle of America playing their games.

BTW can you tell me why the used to say:

The sun never sets in the British Empire?
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
The 'interference' in Syria is, as usual nothing to do with the benefits of Bashar al Assad as a human being. Just as it was not in Libya or Iraq in the cases of Ghadaffi and Hussein.

Syria is an important transit point for gas pipelines from the Middle East to Europe.

Assad does not want to have his country used to transit Qatari gas. Neither do the Russians, although their relationship with Syria goes back well before this bone of contention came up. The US wants to see Qatari and (probably Israeli) gas get to Europe and so do the Europeans.

ISIS is being used to remove Assad from power so that an amenable puppet can be put into power. (And lets not get into the whole 'is ISIS controlled by the US and its allies' - the evidence is plentiful to support that truth).

Any hand wringing over 'humanitarian issues' is simply a diversion for you lot, so that you will not bother thinking about what is really going on and so that you will support the terrible acts of violence against ordinary people.

Whilst I have no doubt there are business people who would prefer a gas pipe transisting Syria, what IDIOT could  believe that foreign policy of democracies 'allow' themselves to be 'played' to achieve that aim at all costs - including massive waves of refugees as a consequence... :coffeeread:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 04:32:51 AM »

It would have been better to read "Leslied" comments with your eyes opened and not closed. He knows better than you what he is talking about!

:laugh:

I read a lot of Leslied's stuff and as he lives in Turkey - a lot of the stuff he writes is interesting.

I base my opinion having BEEN to many the places mentioned - Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Syria and knowing how many diverse people from those nations feel ..

But thank you for you 'adviCe' - I'll base my opinions on people who are 'players' - not sitting on the fence - getting splinters

Didn't you know that those years have gone?

Our government should find a better way to occupy the army instead of using it to ...... improve Democracy around the globe, and been the puddle of America playing their games.

[/quote]

Offline Wiz

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »

:laugh:

I read a lot of Leslied's stuff and as he lives in Turkey - a lot of the stuff he writes is interesting.

I base my opinion having BEEN to many the places mentioned - Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Syria and knowing how many diverse people from those nations feel.

But thank you for you 'adviCe' - I'll base my opinions on people who are 'players' - not sitting on the fence - getting splinters

You know very well I have not been free to post, due to other circumstances ..... but when I have time I do follow the news about Turkey, Syria and Greece. You of course have plenty of free time, when you are not away, in interesting scouting  assignments for the firm.

It appears that you "Maybe" have missed the SAS training camp in Jordan, nearly 2 years ago, supporting the Syrian opposition and then followed with the Americans joining in. Did you also missed the fact that the Russians reported that the Operation centre of the resistance against Assad, is in Jordan too?

In addition to the info given by Leslied, for the falling Turkey ducks, did you also hear that the Russian's supplied Assad, the necessary info of a secret meeting of the opposition and their handlers, that took place in a village inside Syria and Assad made sure that his air force harshly  interrupted the meeting?

There are several Greek sites following closely these events in Syria and Turkey and have their own reporters on the ground, so we learn quite a lot from them. So far their reporting appears to be very accurate.

There is no need of me writing about the 1000's of Syrian refuges going through Turkey and Greece, as most of it has been reported by the International Media.

You forgot to answer my previous question!

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

Some people are in urgent need of professional psychiatric help... Poor loonies, and their families  :( (And us too, who have to read this cr*p they post while having internet access). It must be awful  to be hit with such a debilitating illness at such an advanced age... You could be helped in Israel though, we are  good in treating it  :)

edited
I reconsidered. It's not the problem that there are mentally ill people who post cr*p while unattended, but that they are allowed to do so. Good luck with such moderating of the board.

Unfortunately in this world, there are certain people whose main pre-occupation are to falsify history, dispute events and historical facts and will make every effort to destroy the historical inheritance and life of other people, in an effort to establish themselves as the only truth tellers. These people have already shown to the rest of the world the nasty and vile side of their character and that is why they are so unpopular around the world. I have no need to post here any examples of their abhorrent actions as everybody has seen on the TV live, their actions against the poor Palestinian people, over the years.

The above “quoted” personal attacks and comments are an example of the nasty nature of their character and in respect of other peoples opinions and for the rules of this board, I will not reply in kind, as they wish me to do so. All I have to say is that the nasty dictator, Stalin, had a good idea to get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people by allowing them to create their own Republic in the Far East corner of Siberia, which still exists, called Republic of Birobidzhan and that is the place where they belong to.

Read more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birobidzhan

I am in agreement with Volshe on this incident.  What you posted up thread and here as well is vile anti-Semitism without any regard or concern for the truth about the conflict between Israel and Palestine; or for the truth regarding the historic struggle of Jewish persons everywhere to live with the normal safety of other persons.

It is well documented that terrorist forces in Palestine embed themselves in Hospitals, schools and homes and then fire rockets thus trying to provoke a response from the Israeli Defense Forces.  The IDF has no choice but to respond as Israel has a right to defend themselves, just as England does, just as France does, just as Russia does, just as the USA does, etc.

That you would post the statement above which I've bolded shows your true nature -- a dishonest person who wishes to fabricate a narrative or version of history to suit his personal bias.  Shame.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »

I will not reply in kind, as they wish me to do so. All I have to say is that the nasty dictator, Stalin, had a good idea to get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people by allowing them to create their own Republic in the Far East corner of Siberia, which still exists, called Republic of Birobidzhan and that is the place where they belong to.

Read more here:

Uh huh.  No doubt you're disappointed that Hitler failed to (and here I quote your vile statement) "get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people"...

Please get some professional help.... :sick0012:

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »

Some people are in urgent need of professional psychiatric help... Poor loonies, and their families  :( (And us too, who have to read this cr*p they post while having internet access). It must be awful  to be hit with such a debilitating illness at such an advanced age... You could be helped in Israel though, we are  good in treating it  :)

edited
I reconsidered. It's not the problem that there are mentally ill people who post cr*p while unattended, but that they are allowed to do so. Good luck with such moderating of the board.

Unfortunately in this world, there are certain people whose main pre-occupation are to falsify history, dispute events and historical facts and will make every effort to destroy the historical inheritance and life of other people, in an effort to establish themselves as the only truth tellers. These people have already shown to the rest of the world the nasty and vile side of their character and that is why they are so unpopular around the world. I have no need to post here any examples of their abhorrent actions as everybody has seen on the TV live, their actions against the poor Palestinian people, over the years.

The above “quoted” personal attacks and comments are an example of the nasty nature of their character and in respect of other peoples opinions and for the rules of this board, I will not reply in kind, as they wish me to do so. All I have to say is that the nasty dictator, Stalin, had a good idea to get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people by allowing them to create their own Republic in the Far East corner of Siberia, which still exists, called Republic of Birobidzhan and that is the place where they belong to.

Read more here:

Quote from: Wiz on Yesterday at 15:27:59

I will not reply in kind, as they wish me to do so. All I have to say is that the nasty dictator, Stalin, had a good idea to get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people by allowing them to create their own Republic in the Far East corner of Siberia, which still exists, called Republic of Birobidzhan and that is the place where they belong to.

Read more here:

Uh huh.  No doubt you're disappointed that Hitler failed to (and here I quote your vile statement) "get rid of them and clear his country of such nasty people"...

Please get some professional help.... :sick0012:
I am in agreement with Volshe on this incident.  What you posted up thread and here as well is vile anti-Semitism without any regard or concern for the truth about the conflict between Israel and Palestine; or for the truth regarding the historic struggle of Jewish persons everywhere to live with the normal safety of other persons.

It is well documented that terrorist forces in Palestine embed themselves in Hospitals, schools and homes and then fire rockets thus trying to provoke a response from the Israeli Defense Forces.  The IDF has no choice but to respond as Israel has a right to defend themselves, just as England does, just as France does, just as Russia does, just as the USA does, etc.

That you would post the statement above which I've bolded shows your true nature -- a dishonest person who wishes to fabricate a narrative or version of history to suit his personal bias.  Shame.

It is indicative of you and your friends, when you do not like a subject to resort to personal attacks and insults, as you have nothing to say about it.

Don’t forget, also, your comments regarding my English language abilities and the answer given to you by another poster, who I happen to ignore for the same reasons as I will do the same for you, from now on.

On these boards it is a custom that you do not attack or insult a poster if you dissagree with his opinions or views, but if you have differents opinion then you dispute them by expressing your own opinions and views but you do not atack the poster personally.

Here in the UK, where I live, it’s a Democracy and everybody has the right to express his/her views, without fear or been prosecuted except if the opinions expressed are insulting or defame the person is refered to. You don’t know anything about Democracy because you live in a country that its citizens are treated so badly, as we have seen in our TV screens?

Haven’t you noticed the diference in writing styles between the British and the American’s?

I suggest you should not use the term “anti-Semitism” to impose your opinions and will in other people and concentrate with your replies to the subject in discussion, if you have the ability to have one.

As about the rest of your comments…. Not worth replying to an ignorant poster.

BTW are you aware that during the WWII, the Russians have lost 27 million people, Greece 1.5 Million and so many more from other countries but the only thing we hear and in many countries has been imposed by law, is the claim about the “Holocust” and the 6 million jews that lost their lifes, which some right wing Americans dispute?

Well may I suggest to you to read more, research the truth of any comments and then come and talk to the Europeans and stop listening to propaganda.

Finally take a look at the USA today, check the “Official USA Seal” and then you may find out who is running your country.

Good bye!

PS: I will not bother to translate your ID name in Greek language as it will make many people sick! :sick0012:

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
If members wish to complain about a post.  Please use the report to moderator function.

Offline Manny

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
On the subject of Syria, I came across this article today about Asma al-Assad. There was a lot of similarly nice stuff about her in the media here before they became a target of Uncle Sam and the media got the instruction that nothing positive about the Assads will be printed (as with Putin). Worth a read I thought.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
On the subject of Syria, I came across this article today about Asma al-Assad. There was a lot of similarly nice stuff about her in the media here before they became a target of Uncle Sam and the media got the instruction that nothing positive about the Assads will be printed (as with Putin). Worth a read I thought.

Back on topic my personal hope is that in the future the USA will not attempt any further regime changes as it's clear that removing Sadaam Husein from power in Iraq created an even larger problem.  The problem was under control when George Bush Jr. left office but due to historic incompetency of Obama the problem returned with a greater vengeance.

Whoever is the next US President will need to deal with ISIS and hopefully this can be accomplished through some diplomacy and cooperation with Russia.

I agree with Leslied and with Manny that any talk of trying to remove Assad is foolish and will not go over. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 03:34:27 PM »
We don't seem to read much about what the reasons are for wanting to remove Assad.

Our media missed that, not sure about yours, but I suspect similar. He is just grouped into the "baddies" box along with Putin and the ones you lot killed already in that region.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
Reasons are not really needed are they?

It is enough that people are told whom they should hate and enough that the people should do as they are told.

Anyway, as we already know there is no reason to expect that any reason given for the invasion of a country and the murder of its leaders will have any congruence with the real reason. Given that fact, why bother with making up a story; just go straight to the hate.

Offline Manny

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
Anyway, as we already know there is no reason to expect that any reason given for the invasion of a country and the murder of its leaders will have any congruence with the real reason. Given that fact, why bother with making up a story; just go straight to the hate.

Just get Faux to say he is a baddie, better yet if he has "WMD", and we have another war, and some oil wells are captured. Last time I looked, the bloke was fighting against ISIS. Media now groups him with them as an enemy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
Yes, Assad and his army are fighting ISIS, but we need to remember that the USA and its allies are not fighting ISIS, they are fighting Syria. ISIS is a tool.

The odd thing at the moment is why are Turkey allowing Russia to overfly supplies en-route to Syria. Turkey are part of the alliance against Syria. I have a feeling that at some point in the near future Turkey's position will change. They must be getting an awful lot of pressure, sweetners and threats from the US at the moment given their concerns and keenness to close down Greece and Bulgaria to Russia.

I get the feeling that the rate of change is accelerating, the tempo of the dance is increasing and as it does so even good dancers will tread on some toes.

Offline Manny

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
the USA and its allies are not fighting ISIS, they are fighting Syria. ISIS is a tool.

That thought hasn't reached RUA yet.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Russians: We're Not Using the Bulgaria Route to Syria Anyway

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/russians-were-not-using-bulgaria-route-syria-anyway/ri9606

Bulgaria blocks Russian 'aid' aircraft from airspace

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34184947
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »
the USA and its allies are not fighting ISIS, they are fighting Syria. ISIS is a tool.
That thought hasn't reached RUA yet.

It's not a correct thought, it's simply false.  As leslied pointed out the USA is flying sorties into Syria to destroy ISIS with Syrian approval.  It there was not approval by Syria to do so they would shoot the US aircraft out of the sky with their Russian supplied anti-aircraft systems.  There is more cooperation then you seem to be willing to admit.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 11:51:59 PM »

Just get Faux to say he is a baddie, better yet if he has "WMD", and we have another war, and some oil wells are captured. Last time I looked, the bloke was fighting against ISIS. Media now groups him with them as an enemy.
Not in Netherlands news. Here there's already talk of forgoing the animosity and helping Assad as he is the 'lesser' evil, along with some other european countries.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
It's not a correct thought, it's simply false.  As leslied pointed out the USA is flying sorties into Syria to destroy ISIS with Syrian approval. 
That is the official narrative, but how many times have they hit ISIS , and how many times have they accidentaly hit something else.

And bombing ISIS from the sky is the slow route, Afghanistan proved that 10x over.

We really really really need 'boots on the ground' and pay the reaper to get rid of ISIS in a timely fashion.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »
I, for one,  would be interested to see evidence of Syrian government approval of US bombings in Syria. I have seen nothing that suggests such a thing.

The US back in 2014 said they would not seek Syrian approval for attacks against Syrian targets. Recently the US has acknowledged mistakes in targeting that meant that those fighting against the legitimate government were victims of airstrikes. Implicit in that acknowledgment is the reality that US airstrikes are targeting Syrian forces which would never be approved by the Syrian government.