The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Luxury tower block in Ukraine goes up in flames   (Read 585 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Luxury tower block in Ukraine goes up in flames 
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
This from Odessa.

Luxury tower block in Ukraine goes up in flames 

http://www.rt.com/news/313805-luxury-tower-fire-ukraine/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Luxury tower block in Ukraine goes up in flames 
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
Thats what happens when you cheap electricians  :laugh:

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Flammable insulation used on the building, probably bought from China. How on Earth people think it's ok to do something this stupid I don't know, may as well build the flats out of straw.

Luxury look, death trap cheap build quality.

Some 9/11 style conspiracy posts on the comments section of that article  :knit:

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
I wonder how the insurance policy has been written.

I'd be surprised if there were not more fiery accidents on in-build projects in Ukraine.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Its a little like the lifts in most blocks in Russia :laugh: Last year my parents were over for a few weeks, five of us got stuck in the lift for two long hours! Thats despite ringing the emergency button. I had to remove the emergency escape hatch from the roof and climb out side to get a signal on my phone. My sister was getting hysterical from claustrophobia and mother needed to visit the lav :ROFL: Pity I never recorded it and posted on YouTube Im sure it would of gone viral  :)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
I wonder how the insurance policy has been written.

I'd be surprised if there were not more fiery accidents on in-build projects in Ukraine.

The article clearly notes the internal fire fighting system had not been connected to the main line. There was little that the fire department could do but watch the building burn. Another interesting point the same material that when up in flames in Odessa is suspected in a high rise fire in Baku.

Much of the new Chinese foam based insulation material is extremely bonfire oriented.

I would be worried if I had bought into this building as a private investor.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
You wouldn't want to buy anything on our coast, that's built in last 20y... Our apartment in Budva (we sold it meanwhile) was built in 1976, survived the catastrophic earthquake in 1979, literally none of the buildings from later period would.

As per elevators in Russia, i spent 4h with 4 other people in one, while waiting for the rescue team (they were stuck in traffic jam  (:)), while дежурный was mocking us from his office downstairs (i am not kidding you.) Take the stairs, OR, if you have to use the elevator, do so when there are no traffic jams - in the night for example. (I am being serious. Despite living on 11th floor, i was mostly taking the stairs for that very reason and shopping for groceries in the night, when the rescue team can make it sooner, if you get stuck in the elevator together with your groceries.

Same in Monte btw, "luckily", very few of our buildings have elevators, but existing ones are not maintained at all. (I think the company that produced them was in Croatia, so after the old country fell apart, that was it.)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
Its a little like the lifts in most blocks in Russia :laugh: Last year my parents were over for a few weeks, five of us got stuck in the lift for two long hours! Thats despite ringing the emergency button. I had to remove the emergency escape hatch from the roof and climb out side to get a signal on my phone. My sister was getting hysterical from claustrophobia and mother needed to visit the lav :ROFL: Pity I never recorded it and posted on YouTube Im sure it would of gone viral  :)
You've been watching too many 'Die Hard' movies ....  ))

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
(up)lift stories
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »

My first relationship with a woman from the fSUV involved an elavator. I convinced her that her son sleeping on the floor and having his clothes in piles was not very fair. We took the metro & bus to Ikea and several it seems million rubles latter we had a complete IKEA bedroom for the young man. Returning with two cars Louiza promised to cook a great dinner and Ruslan and I would build flat packs.

We got the seven plus flat packs into the lobby only to discover the lift out of commission.

She lived in the penthouse on the 21st floor.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:45 AM »
You've been watching too many 'Die Hard' movies ....  ))

My problem in the lift resulted in the whole block installing  cameras in the lifts, so some good came out of it :) Problem now is you have to behave yourself after a late night out on the town :)

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: (up)lift stories
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:08 AM »

My first relationship with a woman from the fSUV involved an elavator. I convinced her that her son sleeping on the floor and having his clothes in piles was not very fair. We took the metro & bus to Ikea and several it seems million rubles latter we had a complete IKEA bedroom for the young man. Returning with two cars Louiza promised to cook a great dinner and Ruslan and I would build flat packs.

We got the seven plus flat packs into the lobby only to discover the lift out of commission.

She lived in the penthouse on the 21st floor.

OMG, what a story!!!  :o

If it's by any chance the IKEA in Moscow (the biggest one) and you took the bus from Belyaevo metro station - you already won my eternal respect for that... It's a SURVIVAL in its' own right, i am not kidding you! IKEA there is huge, extremely poorly ventilated, it's overly crowded and once you are in, you can't leave it, except by going all the way ahead - or back... (and that's A LOT  of walking!)

Let alone that peeps casually dispose their Kalashnikovs in the coatrooms...  (:)
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/discarded-kalashnikov-rifle-found-in-ikea-outlet/493492.html
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams