The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moby's Russophobia and Kremlinphobia  (Read 55957 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Moby's Russophobia and Kremlinphobia
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 03:28:16 AM »
One must wonder though, when someone is out spreading the word according to the Grauniad to impressionable Russians.......

ila_rendered

Who on the same topic says Russia has no free speech:

in the UK - You can have a different opinion ... no-one [normal] will warn you to keep your opinions to yourself .

The VERY sad thing is that in modern day Russia - that is EXACTLY the opposite.

On Putin:

one lady was SHOCKED when I said I did NOT agree with many things Putin was doing/ did.

she simply couldn't believe that her beloved President was not 90 percent approved   :chuckle:

SC asked me tonight to not say, I don't like many of the things Putin is doing - she says she is 'frightened' for me ....

On corruption:

not agreeing with many of the policies / corrupt practices still endemic here

On Russian people:

frustrating, stubborn,  disregarding punctuality as politeness, aggressive behind the wheel - every man for himself when the bus / train arrives - not smiling- 'cold' almost disinterested to help in shops, govt positions such as passport control, customs, etc.

Added to the online trail that is ever critical of the Russian government over many years and thousands of posts, one wonders at which point they may decide to exclude him as an undesirable. Or will he continue to be a guest in a country he regards as not free? If he remains a guest, then one theory contradicts the other methinks.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 04:10:52 AM »
If Mark is untruthfully disrespectful of his hosts then their allowance of his presence serves to give the lie to much of his posting. It is probably much harder for them to ignore his own evidence of his contravention of his business visa conditions by taking employment as an English teacher. Similarly to the way in which the USA has barred some 'journalists' from entry.

That's what happens when one 'needs' to be the centre of attention. Sometimes attention gets paid.

I'd be surprised though if his words here cause his entry privileges to be revoked. I am fairly sure that he is similarly indiscreet in all his dealings and that range of indiscretion will attain an outcome that he doesn't want.

If that happens what will he do? The UK didn't seem to desire the presence of his cootie catcher.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
Moby, referring to the link I posted, the ruble is heading north, and most likely will continue to do so. As with stocks there will be an occasional drop, followed by recovery,and  or gain. Oil is slowly on the rise, and Russia has also invested to diversifying the economy.

The sanctions,and counter sanctions effects all involved. Farmers all through Europe took a hit much harder than teachers in Russia.  This I place blame on the United states,which has been virtually uneffected by the policies they  demand from others to abide by.
Sanctions will most likely continue for a few more months, but  I believe by the end of this year or at longest the beginning of 2017, sanctions will end, and the ruble will take a big leap.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
I am sure noticing a drop in the value of the dollar in Georgia. When I got here 6 months ago it was 2.45 to the dollar. Yesterday (Friday) it was 2.12. That is a 33 Lari drop on a hundred dollar bill. That buys a lot of groceries around here.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
Moby, living in the United states, I was more or less brainwashed into believing Russia and it's government was evil. I have taken the time to read and learn much through Russian media sources how much the western media propaganda lied about.

Putin was elected to serve Russia, and Russian interests. There's a huge difference how Russia has to go about world affairs compared to the United states.  Before you criticize the Russian government for its involvement in other countries, you need to understand why they do what they do.
Keep in mind when the USSR, split millions of Russians remained living now outside the border. As president of Russian, Putin has the burden of also making sure that Russians living within those countries are not denied their human rights.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »

Now that's ripe man, you are claiming that everybody else but you are here making stuff up now.... WOW..

Gypo,
if I post something that is incorrect - as you know - I accept it, thank the poster and learn something.

When, I stand my ground - some of my vital ripostes get repeatedly deleted - making it LOOK like I 'accept' a posters 'bollox' or I'm accused of 'swerving' - and my response never makes sees the light of day. Very Soviet

I'm not 'crying' - It simply raises an ironic smile. I might get worked up when my response is in defence of 'bollox' written about SC - clue ' bint '

How many times have you been banned from here in the past?? :whistle:/QUOTE]

LOADS... but what does that does that 'prove'  ?

TBAH, If I was ever banned from a forum, I most certainly would not beg to be allowed to return, which is what you have done I suggest... :coffeeread:

'BEG'  ? You may be getting 'info from a reliable source'  ?  :coffeeread:

You missed a great party - this 'Russiophobe' was given a wonderful book of compilations of post cards from Sochi through the ages- signed by guests and friends who couldn't make it .

I mentioned I 'might not be allowed back' due to my being 'outed' and we had a good 'larf and raised a toast to the 'funny people you meet on the internet'

Now, you'll excuse me - I will wake up SC - a busy day ahead
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:58 AM »
Moby, living in the United states, I was more or less brainwashed into believing Russia and it's government was evil. I have taken the time to read and learn much through Russian media sources how much the western media propaganda lied about.

Putin was elected to serve Russia, and Russian interests. There's a huge difference how Russia has to go about world affairs compared to the United states.  Before you criticize the Russian government for its involvement in other countries, you need to understand why they do what they do.
Keep in mind when the USSR, split millions of Russians remained living now outside the border. As president of Russian, Putin has the burden of also making sure that Russians living within those countries are not denied their human rights.

TC,

you have been 'brainwashed' ... many of the citizens of the USSR were sent as PUNISHMENT to the Baltic States and chose to remain there.

I have campaigned for the rights of former Soviet citizens to be given full citizenship of the nation where they were born of such  families.

Russia accepted the national frontiers in '91 - and if you were here you'd know that Russian people's attitude has hardened to the extent that, 'Ukraine is ours', is oft heard.

The Baltic States and w.Ukraine [ now 'all over Ukraine'] are full of 'fascists' - because they wanted rid of the Soviet Yolk and though fighting with Nazi Germany - my enemy's enemy is my friend - would make things better.  When you see articles on RU tv suggesting the breaking away of the Baltic States - from a nation that no longer exists - is being investigated by Moscow - don't you think it strange  ?

When there's a civil war and one nation flattens a city to crush it secession from a Republic it never agreed to being part of - banning discussion in the media of secession - yet encouraging it in neighbours - yeah, I question the duplicity - esp. when it screams blue murder about attacking cities where the 'rebels' fire out from - conveniently forgetting how it brutally oppressed 'insurrection'

My 'beef' with you is your signature- you are biased. You constantly post stuff by contributors in publications that are Kremlin mouthpieces - messengers just carry messages - they don't get 'shot' as they are assumed to be following orders....

I'd hope you'd question why my pointing such stuff out makes me a 'russiophobe' - I don't think you're questioning US policy is 'un-patriotic' - it is a right of freedom of speech in your nation - but I guess you are thinking I 'deserve it'  ?  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 01:47:44 AM »
if I post something that is incorrect - as you know - I accept it, thank the poster and learn something.

In which parallel universe did this ever happen?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:44 AM »
Moby, referring to the link I posted, the ruble is heading north, and most likely will continue to do so. As with stocks there will be an occasional drop, followed by recovery,and  or gain. Oil is slowly on the rise, and Russia has also invested to diversifying the economy.

The sanctions,and counter sanctions effects all involved. Farmers all through Europe took a hit much harder than teachers in Russia.  This I place blame on the United states,which has been virtually uneffected by the policies they  demand from others to abide by.
Sanctions will most likely continue for a few more months, but  I believe by the end of this year or at longest the beginning of 2017, sanctions will end, and the ruble will take a big leap.

TC,

1 /The rouble had weakened on the day the article was published - 5 percent against the GBP

2/ When oil was last at 50 usd / barrel the rouble was much stronger thanit is now

3/ Of course it will recover - if oil carries on up

4/ If an economy is as strong as the article you chose to post is so strong - why are teachers taking salary cuts - why has our neighbour working in admin for the Sports agency been made redundant - due to cut bucks

5/ The Russian 'counter sanctions' deliberately target a wide base - the western ones were targeted ..  The former were not designed to hurt man in the street... the latter were designed to try to split the EU..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 02:08:40 AM »

In which parallel universe did this ever happen?

recent examples

Gypo - corrected me about Maria Sharapova's  place of birth

Rosco - I'm sorry I can't recall - but I'm sure he can

Any chance you'd allow me to prove my point by allowing me to post the stuff not allowed - that proved I was right  ?  :laugh:

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 07:40:39 AM »

TC,

you have been 'brainwashed' ... many of the citizens of the USSR were sent as PUNISHMENT to the Baltic States and chose to remain there.

I have campaigned for the rights of former Soviet citizens to be given full citizenship of the nation where they were born of such  families.

Russia accepted the national frontiers in '91 - and if you were here you'd know that Russian people's attitude has hardened to the extent that, 'Ukraine is ours', is oft heard.

The Baltic States and w.Ukraine [ now 'all over Ukraine'] are full of 'fascists' - because they wanted rid of the Soviet Yolk and though fighting with Nazi Germany - my enemy's enemy is my friend - would make things better.  When you see articles on RU tv suggesting the breaking away of the Baltic States - from a nation that no longer exists - is being investigated by Moscow - don't you think it strange  ?

When there's a civil war and one nation flattens a city to crush it secession from a Republic it never agreed to being part of - banning discussion in the media of secession - yet encouraging it in neighbours - yeah, I question the duplicity - esp. when it screams blue murder about attacking cities where the 'rebels' fire out from - conveniently forgetting how it brutally oppressed 'insurrection'

My 'beef' with you is your signature- you are biased. You constantly post stuff by contributors in publications that are Kremlin mouthpieces - messengers just carry messages - they don't get 'shot' as they are assumed to be following orders....

I'd hope you'd question why my pointing such stuff out makes me a 'russiophobe' - I don't think you're questioning US policy is 'un-patriotic' - it is a right of freedom of speech in your nation - but I guess you are thinking I 'deserve it'  ?  :chuckle:

Moby,
I wouldn't say I am biased, I post articles from all sources available.
Even if I totally disagreed with what I read. The problem I have with much of the western media is it's complete hog wash. Take the Ukraine crisis, hundreds of articles telling of an imminent invasion by Russia. Tens of thousands of troops all gathered on the border waiting to crush Ukraine.
It's been close to two years, and nothing happened.
How many articles about Russia is gonna attack the Baltics , Finland, ect.
All western propaganda I post, many of those articles as well, my reasoning for doing that? Maybe if people see the piles of printed crap, and as months, and years pass without any aggression from Russia, that light bulb might finally click on. :)

It's very sad that you Moby, who has vast experience in Russia, still can't see the light.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »
I'm imagine the banking sanctions are having more effect than restrictions on imports of cheese and baked beans.

However I'm not in the banking domain currently, in retail for this current piece of work.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
I'm imagine the banking sanctions are having more effect than restrictions on imports of cheese and baked beans.

However I'm not in the banking domain currently, in retail for this current piece of work.

Those sanctions will have been priced into currency and stock valuations instantly. The practical effects have been quite positive. The Central Bank made dollars available to those firms that needed them, assets (money) has been repatriated, already low levels of state external debt have been reduced and commercial external debt similarly reduced.

New finance has been continuously available using creative finance tools from the EU and more conventional finance available from Asia. Bond prices now seem to be at the same level as late 2013,  early 2014 showing that risk is now normalised.

Recession is now over and has been for about half a year.

Financial markets, due to the work of folks like you react very fast to price in new patterns and risk levels.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »

Absolutely correct.. tiphat

Not being able to take long term borrowings at the EU's low interest rates is the hardest hitting sanction, and its aimed directly at the populace of Russia...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »

Not being able to take long term borrowings at the EU's low interest rates is the hardest hitting sanction, and its aimed directly at the populace of Russia...

I'll ask one of our acquirers tomorrow about Russian sanctions (have to remember I think sanction means something else in banking, wish I could remember - I remeber stuff on the MQ going 'for sanction' - not sure it's the same), we've got loads of pretend debit and credit cards on the Collis Tool thing we have for test and dev., but no non-EU ones....

We've got Sodexo Asylum seeker cards though were they receive their £15/pd to live on. Plus the free £2m mansion of course!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »

I'll ask one of our acquirers tomorrow about Russian sanctions (have to remember I think sanction means something else in banking, wish I could remember - I remeber stuff on the MQ going 'for sanction' - not sure it's the same), we've got loads of pretend debit and credit cards on the Collis Tool thing we have for test and dev., but no non-EU ones....

We've got Sodexo Asylum seeker cards though were they receive their £15/pd to live on. Plus the free £2m mansion of course!

Eh what??
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 01:48:17 PM »
The "Action" in Sochi (as Moby puts it) yesterday..

DUH, zero, zilch, nowt.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
It is rare for people to borrow from outside their national markets and almost always ends in tears due to currency fluctuations.

If you refer to business borrowing,  Russia was unusual in that many firms headquartered themselves outside Russia for financial reasons. Many firms have been moving back - this was an outcome greatly desired my the RF government and sanctions served to incentivise the process to an even greater extent than the government had already done.

The sanctions against lending were for long term loans, not short term. All that happened was that European bankers made short term loans and the rolled them over at term. Where there's a will, there's a way. (and, yes, there are more administrative hoops to jump through)

Lending fell because  businesses were paying down loans (due to perceived issues with dollar liquidity) and because the economy was in recession.

I can't help but think that if bond prices have fallen to pre sanctions levels then the risk is likewise at that level. That suggests that lending is 'appropriate' to the market given that the bond price represents the degree of risk,  just as interest rates do.

For sure though,  any rational borrower wants two things: lower interest rates and easier lending rules. Very few businesses are ever going to say that the rates they pay are 'right' or that money is  adequately easy to obtain. The proof will be in what happens now the economy has moved out of recession and sentiment becomes more optimistic.  That's when we will see if banking sanctions REALLY have a negative effect.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

DUH, zero, zilch, nowt.

So you admit that it was a gigantic boondoggle and that other than enriching Putin's crony Oligarchs it was a colossal waste of money?  :ROFL:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »

DUH, zero, zilch, nowt.

Er, Gypo

You did know that the Russia-ASEAN conference is being held at the Olympic village, in Adler - 28km south of Sochi- and access was restricted  ? :chuckle:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/51953]]http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/51953

It was 24C , yesterday - v.sunny and our beach was packed - by mid afternoon -to the point where I heard two ladies complain to men who stood up too long - that they were blocking the sun.. :chuckle:

I took this one as I arrived - SC likes to go topless- so we always choose the part of beaches farthest away from access points - but a simple glance shows the beach isn't 'empty'..

Indeed, one of our forum members is on holiday in Sochi.. :coffeeread:

Offline sparky114

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 11:21:04 PM »

Still buying Heinz Baked beans over here  ;D in both magnit and the 5 store chain  tiphat

Cheese well thats another story completely  (:) But it is improving day by day
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:55 PM »

Moby,
I wouldn't say I am biased, I post articles from all sources available.

If you posted from independent Russian new media you'd have a point

Even if I totally disagreed with what I read. The problem I have with much of the western media is it's complete hog wash. Take the Ukraine crisis, hundreds of articles telling of an imminent invasion by Russia. Tens of thousands of troops all gathered on the border waiting to crush Ukraine.

Where are they wrong ? Russian military went 'off base' in Crimea to surround UA  military personnel, infrastructure, parliament, etc. and in E.Ukraine GRU troops were used in breaking into the Donbas police armouries and can you explain how the 'rebels' opened up a new front from within Russia in late August '14 ?

It's been close to two years, and nothing happened.

Are you selective in your blindness  ?

How many articles about Russia is gonna attack the Baltics , Finland, ect.

1/ I posted that the Russian Prosecutor General opened an enquiry about the 'legality' of the Baltic States - leaving the USSR - in '89.. there's another clue to paranoia. The Russian ogvt. seems to be hell bent on re-drawing agreed borders.

2/ That nations bordering Russia - who never wanted NATO membership are now interested in joining - should be a clue as to appears to be the aggressor.

All western propaganda I post, many of those articles as well, my reasoning for doing that? Maybe if people see the piles of printed crap, and as months, and years pass without any aggression from Russia, that light bulb might finally click on. :)

It's very sad that you Moby, who has vast experience in Russia, still can't see the light.

Indeed, you  should be reading what I wrote and you'd have your answer.

'Shoot me' for pointing out this worrying trend and double stds., about secession being encouraged without and forbidden within... I must be a 'anti-Chinese' for not supporting their govt. aggression in the S.China Sea - claiming islands that are clearly those of weaker neighbours.

Oh, I must be 'anti-British' for questioning how 'we' treated the  people moved off the atoll of Diego Garcia..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

When you start publishing from - say  - Novaya Gazeta http://en.novayagazeta.ru/politics/68386.html

or the Moscow Times http://www.themoscowtimes.com/multimedia/photogalleries/putins-russia/5123.html

or even the 'Moscow Echo' http://echo.msk.ru/blog/echomsk/1768818-echo/

I'll believe you're a 'messenger'..

For now - you need to figure out how my questioning your title resulted in a thread suggesting I'm a 'russiophobe'  - perhaps you need 'protecting'  ?  :chuckle:

Perhaps someone thought I'd be 'silenced' for fear of having a visa refused - for speaking my mind on here - now THAT would be 'sad'..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »

I write in here - a forum hosted in by a UK firm and I do not discuss politics with Russians - for the exact reasons you mention .... let alone lack of tolerance compared to - say the UK..

The forum is watched...

Your point  ?.....

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 11:55:16 PM »
One must wonder though, when someone is out spreading the word according to the Grauniad to impressionable Russians.......

Who on the same topic says Russia has no free speech:

Then you go on to quote me -suggesting I am some sort of 'threat' and auto-suggesting I should be stopped  ?  :chuckle:

'Impressionable' - are you suggesting Russian people believe all they hear  ?.....

On Russian people:

[quoting me ]frustrating, stubborn,  disregarding punctuality as politeness, aggressive behind the wheel - every man for himself when the bus / train arrives - not smiling- 'cold' almost disinterested to help in shops, govt positions such as passport control, customs, etc.

I can assure you the audience laughed their heads off and I defy you to deny it's not something you've observed ..

You forgot, ''but when invited into a home you're treated like royalty''  and there's ''much laughter and smiles''

I was also asked about what I think Russians think about us...

''We speak as if we have a mouthful of potatoes in our mouths, say please and thank you, too often, expect foreigners to understand us in English is we shout louder and speak slower  and many of still think the little island is a world power and should leave Europe to be greater ,again''  :chuckle: ... which btw is how Putin described 'us' in front of a young audience

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10290243/Russia-mocks-Britain-the-little-island.html

Manny, you must be a 'russiophobe' - you agreed with me that Russian after sales service left much to be desired  ?  :ROFL:

For my 'going away' present this 'russiophobe' received a marvellous book of post cards of Sochi through the ages with personal messages signed by some of the 'terrible' Russians I've met...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2016, 12:36:50 AM »

I responded to a post about the Russian economy performing well - with a fact - Are you suggesting I must not speak about realities on here - because it 'offends' you  ?

It is not a true fact, You failed to mention that many teachers received a pay increase as well as those losing out, THAT is the reality, you of all people cannot offend me so don't kid yourself.

1/ do you deny that head-teachers and deputies had wage cuts  ? That other members of staff were put on shorter hours or had no wage increases  ?

2/ do you suggest I'm making it up about cut backs in sport budgets - resulting in lay offs  ? I'm quoting truthful specific instances, in Sochi.

You spoke on your previous post about Honesty, It seems to me to be more of a case that you would not recognise "Honesty" if it smacked you in the face judging from you past behaviour.

I suggest you might like to chat with a few teachers in Sochi..or my neighbour - who is looking - with colleagues - for a new job - they'll put you straight  :coffeeread:

Only in your opinion did you offend me, the figures from Rosstat showed different results based on different areas, and I also showed you examples of cheap accommodation awaiting buyers in your area, wake up man.

Nope, food is still going up .. though not as fast as a year ago ..

Russia

UK

As for accommodation - I constantly pointed out the  abundance of empty / unfinished property here - but it is still the  2nd/ 3rd most expensive city in Russia

I'm missing how my pointing this stuff out makes me a 'russiophobe' ..

Registration