The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 1st trip report  (Read 10288 times)

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: 1st trip report
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »
Love your honesty but wow...what a trip. Did you Skype her. You must have seen the extra pounds and whatever from the video. Just a question...has anyone ever succeeded without a translator? My woman tells me it would be a waste of time. If you can't talk then it's boring.

I strongly feel that if you need a translator she is the wrong woman for you. Or I should say you are the wrong man for her.

I know a cousin's friend who married a foreign lady who did not know English.  The friend got introduced to her by my cousin who acted as intermediary.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 11:43:46 PM »
This is an episode of the Twilight Zone, right? Please, someone tell me it is!

He's your countryman :-))) I thought you would understand him.  tiphat

My working assumption is that he's a failed Ukrainian transplant who went back home.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 12:47:59 AM »
Love your honesty but wow...what a trip. Did you Skype her. You must have seen the extra pounds and whatever from the video. Just a question...has anyone ever succeeded without a translator? My woman tells me it would be a waste of time. If you can't talk then it's boring.

When I met my wife, her English was non-existent. She didn't want to use a translator.
Communication was done purely on hand-gestures, smiles and lots and lots of patience.

We had a good time a whole week!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Boris

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 06:56:29 AM »

This is a fallacy that many assume.  You and I are from the same residing country, but we are light years different.  Believe me.    :nod:

It was a joke carried over from another thread..

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »

This is a fallacy that many assume.  You and I are from the same residing country, but we are light years different.  Believe me.    :nod:

From perusing the other thread, I see what you meant.  However, there is a tendency of people to stereotype others from a particular group in a particular location.  :whist11:

Offline Boris

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »

From perusing the other thread, I see what you meant.  However, there is a tendency of people to stereotype others from a particular group in a particular location.  :whist11:

I just always thought you were Newt Gingrich... :)

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »

That Georgia boy?  I was never fond of chitlins.   :sick0012:

The only thing that we shared was that we worked not far from each other back in the 1990s.   tiphat

Offline Jerash

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »

If Rockstar behaves in real life like he does on this forum, he would be completely Ostrasized in Canada, as anywhere else. No one likes people with self-esteem issues that cause them to lash out for no known reason at complete strangers.

Now if I he cut off someone's head and cannibalized him, he could expect full rehabilitation into society, because apparently that's now a-ok.

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

If Rockstar behaves in real life like he does on this forum, he would be completely Ostrasized in Canada, as anywhere else. No one likes people with self-esteem issues that cause them to lash out for no known reason at complete strangers.

Now if I he cut off someone's head and cannibalized him, he could expect full rehabilitation into society, because apparently that's now a-ok.

I will not presume to make any assumptions about anyone online since I first got online over 20 years ago.  I got my first taste of a chat forum for nearly a 24/7 period over a year seeing people get into the site from Australia, Asia, Europe, Africa, North and South America with wide age differences from juveniles to old folks.  From that experience, I know that you cannot expect everything that you read online will be the truth and that close to 100% of the people  that you come across will eventually disappear into cyberspace.

Remember Jeffrey Dahmer?  He did not last in prison very long. 

Offline Jerash

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »

I will not presume to make any assumptions about anyone online since I first got online over 20 years ago.  I got my first taste of a chat forum for nearly a 24/7 period over a year seeing people get into the site from Australia, Asia, Europe, Africa, North and South America with wide age differences from juveniles to old folks.  From that experience, I know that you cannot expect everything that you read online will be the truth and that close to 100% of the people  that you come across will eventually disappear into cyberspace.

Remember Jeffrey Dahmer?  He did not last in prison very long.

Our freak ain't in prison. He's fully free without conditions. He has more rights than someone with a small time conviction for pot possession. One of the papers said he's not living too far away from the mother of the guy he beheaded. Canada (my country)  has gone ass backwards.

Offline Boris

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »

The only thing that we shared was that we worked not far from each other back in the 1990s.   tiphat

I spent quite a bit of time at the Club Quarters in the late 90's just off of Farragut Square. Oddest shaped rooms I ever stayed in...

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »

I spent quite a bit of time at the Club Quarters in the late 90's just off of Farragut Square. Oddest shaped rooms I ever stayed in...

Based on the photos of the rooms, it looks a bit cramped to me. But, it is located in the downtown area, so not surprised at that.  Hotel was sold to a Qatar holding company last year.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »

When I met my wife, her English was non-existent. She didn't want to use a translator.
Communication was done purely on hand-gestures, smiles and lots and lots of patience.

We had a good time a whole week!

I have a friend who I met while he was doing just that - the lady must be determined.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
My answer was, "No. I really don't like her attitude towards us. And I don't like the fact that she doesn't look like her photos. How about this: I asked you to translate, and you wanted to practice your English. Well, if you would show me some of Kiev, you would practice English; I would get to see the sights, AND I might learn some Russian? I would still pay you. What do you think?"

And her answer was?

My translator and I had a great time seeing Kiev. My tour guide showed me many of the same places.

But, this was more fun, and better than wasting time with the other girl.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »

This was within 2 weeks of meeting her online and was instead of Skype. I was in country.

Her English was basic, better than my Russian. I brought the translator, because I wanted a better time than fighting Google Translate.

Wayne

Offline Geraldneoft

• Spouses Country: Greece
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
1st trip report
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
Great trip report looks like you got a nice day for it,the junk pile in the storage area seems to be growing ever bigger. If they do go on ebay the red motorbikes to the front of the picture would be a great buy, I think there pretty cool.
[spam removed]

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
Great trip report looks like you got a nice day for it,the junk pile in the storage area seems to be growing ever bigger. If they do go on ebay the red motorbikes to the front of the picture would be a great buy, I think there pretty cool.

My guess is that the local Pakistani spam guy is making posts until he can start
sending PM's or Data mining or something.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls