The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 1st trip report  (Read 10286 times)

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
1st trip report
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:36:39 AM »
Okay,

Some background, my trip reports will not be sequenced by time, but more by events and ladies. 

I don't have a lot of pictures of ladies I have gone out with, I really don't enjoy that unless I think we are serious.

But, while several of these events might be 'train wrecks,' none of them were the "I got off the plane and there was no one there."  So, I really don't feel they were train wrecks, so none will be in that room.

For our first adventure, I would like to start with visiting 'Olga' in Kiev.  'Olga,' and I met on a dating site, none of ya'll have heard of.  So, I am one of the few non-Ruskii's on the site.

Olga and I chatted off and on for about 3 months before we decided to meet.

She had BEAUTIFUL long hair.  And she loved to show that off in her profile pics.  Dark brown (Chestnut) all the way to the middle of her jean pockets.  She must have been about 110 pounds wet.

So, we decided to meet.  I try to get more daring with phone calls.  Her English is not great, and my Russian is 'terrible.'  Then and now.

Since this would be my second trip to Kiev, I was comfortable with traveling in Ukraine. 

My first trip was just to say I had been there.  I stayed near Microsoft headquarters for both of these trips.  I found a GREAT Israeli owned coffee shop, right beside the Chinese Business Center, and a TERRIBLE steak house.  More on that later.

I had a friend help me with plane tickets - I think Lena made the process more difficult.  But, having the wife of a friend doesn't hurt when you are in country.

She helped me get the bus ticket, I think that was $25 from Odessa to Kiev one way.  And she helped me both times find an apartment to rent in Kiev.

Back then I used http://www.arendakiev.com/en/about.html.  Lena on that site was always helpful.  And they always met me at the apartment.

I think it was Larry said he had to keep going to apartment offices to pick up keys, I have never once been to a rental office for keys.  They have always met me at the apartment, or I stayed at a hotel.

Zhuliny Airport is one strange place.  I keep trying to get back to see if they ever moved to the new terminal.  But, the old terminal is definitely Soviet era.  And the new terminal was beautiful.  And about a half mile walk from each other.

Wait!  I haven't left Odessa, yet.  And this time, Zhuliny is on my way back.  My first trip, I flew up.  And took a bus back.  This time, I took the bus up, and flew back.

Okay.  The main bus station in Odessa (there are 3 in total, I think) Is where I left from.  Lena is still scared I will get lost at a bus station, so this trip we take a taxi into Odessa.  "Since he has to come back to Illichevs'k, it won't cost anymore anyway."

She talks with the people in the Kiosk about the ticket, we had paid for the ticket at the main hotel in Illichevs'k.

As a side note, the lady at that Kiosk knew me from visiting the Baptist Church.  It still does not help me learn Russian.  But, I go to church more often than most.

So, we work through the ticket and which parking lane to meet the bus at.  As we wait, there are several drivers for marshutkas (the smaller buses) walking around calling out their destinations.  I am waiting for an express bus to Kiev.

I text Olga a couple of times.  The pre-first-date chatty stuff.

The bus shows up, I get everything explained to me about seating (the express bus had assigned seating).

And the trip was about 6 hours.  IIRC.  We stopped about half way up at a road side cafe.  And then the rest of the way into Kiev.

Offline el_guero

Re: 1st trip report
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46:05 AM »
Whew.  This is a lot of writing.  No wonder most of you guys don't do these trip reports.  And I just thought it was because you were afraid of getting on 'that big iron bird.'

More tomorrow.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:13:26 AM »
Zhuliny Airport is one strange place.  I keep trying to get back to see if they ever moved to the new terminal.  But, the old terminal is definitely Soviet era.  And the new terminal was beautiful.  And about a half mile walk from each other.

Wait!  I haven't left Odessa, yet.  And this time, Zhuliny is on my way back.  My first trip, I flew up.  And took a bus back.  This time, I took the bus up, and flew back.

Interesting.

In fact the old terminal is a sort of pleasant throw back to the old Stalin period. Since the airport is now in part of residential Kivy its growth is limited. The new terminal is in fact a typical example of post Soviet architecture, lots of glass and dead space. It serves a few International low cost carriers, some Domestic carriers and many private jets.

If you were at Zhuliany you should of visited the air "force" museum next door. Amazing. You would not have missed it if you landed or took off in daylight from your plane.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline el_guero

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:20:48 AM »
From what you wrote, do you mean the new building I was told was the new terminal is actually the museum?

Wayne

Online AvHdB

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:15 AM »

Here is the Wikipedia link description of the museum > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_State_Aviation_Museum <. It is about a five minute walk from the B terminal, but it makes a great place to visit if there are children, especially boys aged 6 to 14 to visit. Since it is open air, if in winter time dress for the cold.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:19:39 AM »
This (using your wiki) is what I was told was the new terminal.

I have only used the old terminal at Zhulyany.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:11:05 AM »

Wayne, I am glad that you are telling us about your trips - They are popular features of the board and sometimes attract 'silliness' ... [ of which I have been guilty ]  Carry on...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »

I hope you continue Wayne, its one of the few threads I would read.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 12:54:15 AM »
Whew!

So, I got to Kiev. I had wanted to stay with the same apartment company as I had on my first trip. But, they didn't have an apartment in that area. I think that was arendakiev. I now use dobovo for apartments.

So, that trip I stayed in an executive hotel on Zhulianska St. It was near the main train station. I got to the hotel later than I liked, about 8 pm.

I didn't have a translator for the next day. The translators I had contacted were not available. So, I asked the girl who checked me in if she had any friends who spoke English and might translate for me. I thought this was crazy, but it was better than stumbling around the next day on my own. Fortunately, her boyfriend had a friend who was an English major. So, thirty minutes later, she had set up for me to meet her translator friend at the McDonalds on Kreschatik St at 9:45 AM.

I got there about 9:30. After I got my coffee, I sat down near the front window. A girl sat down beside me. In came my translator, as I moved around the other girl to sit with my translator, I said hello to her.

The translator and I spoke for a few minutes. Suddenly, the girl beside me got up quickly and went out outside.

I thought that strange.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »
Wayne, Welcome back & Merry Christmas.

While I have a strong dislike for PM will send you one latter today.

For the good order I am in Kiev.

Av

Offline el_guero

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Av,

Thank you.

I need to run to the bank, and then back to add to my trip report. These are more work than I thought they were.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
So, I looked at my translator and said, "I think that was the girl I am supposed to meet."

"No way. She would not be so rude as to walk out and not say anything to you. She is Ukrainian."

My phone rang.

Can you guess who just happened to call me at that moment?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 12:09:40 AM »
3 possibilities

1.)  Your ex wife.

2.)  Donald Trump, he needs you in his cabinet.

3.)  The translator, she wants to spend more time with you.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »
So, I looked at my translator and said, "I think that was the girl I am supposed to meet."

"No way. She would not be so rude as to walk out and not say anything to you. She is Ukrainian."

My phone rang.

Putin?

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »

My phone rang.

The girl you were supposed to meet.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Ring. Ring. Ring.

I pick up my phone, it is the girl I am supposed to meet. And my translator said, "Who is it?"

Dogsoldier got it.

I replied, "The girl I am supposed to meet."

"Where is she?"

"I think that is her looking at us on her phone."

"That can't be."

"Well, she does look 10 years older and 30 kilos heavier, but that is the SAME HAIR."

The girl outside turned away, I answered to the phone, "Izvenitzia, let me hand the phone to my translator."

My translator says to me, "She says that is not her outside of the McDonald's."

I think ok, then why is the girl looking at us so funny?

My translator says, "She wants to know why you needed a translator? And why didn't you talk to her, instead of to me?"

My translator looks at me funny. And I think, Yep ... that is a SOLID clue.

My translator says a lot of stuff to her in Russian, the girl replies something about still being on the other side of town and starts walking away. Then she hangs up.

My translator says, "Well, what should we do."

I think, She weighs more, but still a nice walk. Then I say, "Well, let's call her back. Then we will know for sure if that is her."

She says, "But she said she is on the other side of town. I don't think you need me here."

"Don't worry, let's try this."

So, I take the phone from her and dial, and hand it right back to her. She puts the phone to her ear and watches the girl. Sure enough, the phone rings and the girl stops (on 6 inch heels) and slowly digs her phone out of her purse. As she answers, she looks back to us. My translator gets even bigger eyed, covers the phone and says to me, "I think you are right, it is her."

My translator says something to the girl like, "WHAT? Wait a minute and talk to me. I am a girl, AND A Ukrainian. What do you mean you won't meet him? What do you mean you are not here. I watched you pick your phone out of your purse, you are looking at me right now." Olga looked away for a moment.

I LOVE Ukrainian women.

The translator was convincing her. So, the girl turns back towards us and starts walking slow and zig-zagging as she walked, I think you guys would have loved her walk ...

The girls kept chatting. Olga got about half way back. Suddenly, she said something to my translator like, "No. I made up my mind. He is not for me. She hung up and walked away."

By now, my translator is losing it. Her face was all screwed up. "Wayne, should we go after her?"

What do you think my answer was?

Offline Jim Hall

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »
I think if you did, it was most likely a lost cause unless you are very very convincing. If she was like my girlfriend, what she thought was that you didn't recognize her first of all. Then she would be thinking you had been looking at so many women, you didn't remember them all, and maybe you were just there for sex. Then when the interpreter sat down, she would think you had planned on meeting more women, and not just her, making her feel not very special, which is why she got up and quickly left.. Even after she found out it was an interpreter, she still knew you didn't recognize her, which is why she said she had made up her mind. Mine almost didn't want to talk to me at all because the lady I was going to meet didn't pan out after I had bought a non-refundable ticket. But I decided I would go anyway as i did have a friend there who was just a friend, but that if nothing else, I could do some things with. A month before my trip, I joined a site, and in my profile, I said I was going to Kharkov, if anyone wanted to meet me. Then I wrote this lady in Dnipro. She didn't want to talk to me because she read my profile as meaning I was looking for just any lady as a sex tourist. It took a lot of convincing and honesty to get her to finally agree to meet me. I took a bus there and met her during the day for 3 days, and the rest is a happy ending :) I am hoping whatever happened with your trip, that it ended good, which I imagine it did as it wasn't in the train wreck forum.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
Jim,

Great reply. You added some insights we all need.

However, I have not yet finished my journey, but I do have a different girl than the one this is about. I did not place it in the 'train wreck room,' because I felt we didn't get far enough for train wreck.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »
My answer was, "No. I really don't like her attitude towards us. And I don't like the fact that she doesn't look like her photos. How about this: I asked you to translate, and you wanted to practice your English. Well, if you would show me some of Kiev, you would practice English; I would get to see the sights, AND I might learn some Russian? I would still pay you. What do you think?"

And her answer was?

Offline Rockstar77

• Spouses Country: Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Love your honesty but wow...what a trip. Did you Skype her. You must have seen the extra pounds and whatever from the video. Just a question...has anyone ever succeeded without a translator? My woman tells me it would be a waste of time. If you can't talk then it's boring.

Offline Rockstar77

• Spouses Country: Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
I just was playing around with the woman as I don't speak her language and I said...for the next 15 minutes..I want you to pretend to not know what your saying....so I spoke my usual English. She ramped stuff up...I was like...holy Jesus...what are you saying...it was an excruciating 15 minutes. I said stop and slapped her in the butt...she then said...see...how is it possible. She knew everything I said but...wow...how do you get it on without a translator...just she sit in bed with you. Where is the passion? Do you need to have a translator around for the fun. It seems like money well wasted. I'm not trying to dog you Guero but it seems like way to much work. 

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
This is an episode of the Twilight Zone, right? Please, someone tell me it is!

Offline Boris

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »

He's your countryman :-))) I thought you would understand him.  tiphat

Offline yankee

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
Love your honesty but wow...what a trip. Did you Skype her. You must have seen the extra pounds and whatever from the video. Just a question...has anyone ever succeeded without a translator? My woman tells me it would be a waste of time. If you can't talk then it's boring.

I strongly feel that if you need a translator she is the wrong woman for you. Or I should say you are the wrong man for her.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 11:05:23 PM »

He's your countryman :-))) I thought you would understand him.  tiphat

This is a fallacy that many assume.  You and I are from the same residing country, but we are light years different.  Believe me.    :nod:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd