The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The RT (Russia Today) Discussion  (Read 21722 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The RT (Russia Today) Discussion
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:49:09 AM »
As Manny brought up the UK regulator and their rapping the BBC over the knuckles for lack of control of content - risking impartiality..

I was wondering if Manny wanted to tell us how many times RT has been investigated and found wanting for [edited to correct]  lack off impartiality by the same regulator ?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: The RT (Russia Today) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
I was wondering if Manny wanted to tell us how many times RT has been investigated and found wanting for [edited to correct]  lack off impartiality by the same regulator ?

As you have clearly gone and found out, do tell us.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »
Manny, I just looked up your story and found out Russia Today has been in Ofcom's 'bad books' re lack of impartially SIX times

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/02/russia-today-anti-western-ukraine-crosstalk-kremlin

So, is Ofcom biased, too  ?

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »
Manny, I just looked up your story and found out Russia Today has been in Ofcom's 'bad books' re lack of impartially SIX times

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/02/russia-today-anti-western-ukraine-crosstalk-kremlin

Yes, they are financed by George Soros and the CIA.   :chuckle:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:01:41 AM »

Well, the most recent one seems to be:

"The programme is understood to have featured a number of anti-western views in the discussion between the presenter and three studio guests"

If Ofcom think that a discussion containing "anti-western views" is not permissible, then I disagree. As should any right thinking person.

Its no secret here (and in the US) that the establishment hates RT as it doesn't follow the prescribed narrative. They would close it down at the first opportunity. Those complaints to me look like they are grasping at straws.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:07 AM »

Well, the most recent one seems to be"

"The programme is understood to have featured a number of anti-western views in the discussion between the presenter and three studio guests"

If Ofcom think that a discussion containing "anti-western views" is not permissible, then I disagree. As should any right thinking person.

Its no secret here (and in the US) that the establishment hates RT as it doesn't follow the prescribed narrative. They would close it down at the first opportunity. Those complaints to me look like they are grasping at straws.

Manny, I'd agree that being 'anti-western' was no reason to censure Russia Today and I welcome it's original aim to put a Russian perspective on world affairs and many of it's documentaries about culture  / places in Russia are brilliant

You may be being deliberately obtuse in missing the point.

Russia Today got dressings down for impartiality  - something the BBC got a dressing down for - the risk - of impartiality - and you - rightfully - drew our attention to it. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 01:43:14 AM »
Russia Today got dressings down for impartiality  - something the BBC got a dressing down for

That state broadcasters might occasionally be more sympathetic to their own viewpoint is not new news. Anyone who has seen the outpourings of channels like Fox knows this.

The complaints I read in your Guardian article were "anti-western views", a complaint over an advertiser and graphic images of ISIS goings on. Nothing to be too concerned about there methinks.

RT do run some good stuff, I watch it. It always tickles me that RT's biggest critics are those who don't watch it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:07:55 AM »
Manny how about this link..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/18/russia-todays-interview-on-immigrants-detention-centres-in-uk-faces-inquiry

Impartiality is what you - rightly  -picked up the BEEB for  and perhaps the hyperlink will persuade you to comment on Russia Today's need to concentrate on situations in UK  / US - whilst neglecting to 'question more' on numerous similar issues at home ...

I have watched the channel since it's inception but it is getting so obviously like a propaganda mouthpiece - rather than being objective - that it is losing my interest and I want it to be more like it was.

I certainly do not agree with - UK anchor -  Suchet's suggestion that most TV News stations are controlled by Jewish interest and thus a pro-Israel agenda... I see too many examples of anti-Semitism on Russia Today fora that would never remain in public view in most countries.

Worrying ...

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:27:14 AM »
will persuade you to comment on Russia Today's need to concentrate on situations in UK  / US - whilst neglecting to 'question more' on numerous similar issues at home ...

I watched that piece. It was very good. Sophie highlighted stuff in the immigration centres that the UK would rather keep quiet.

The RT we see is a UK channel based in London. As a UK broadcaster, I would think it strange if they didn't cover a lot of UK news. For me, one of the things RT is very good at is highlighting issues the 'regular' media prefer to ignore. The abuse in immigration centres is a good example of that. Their coverage of the ongoing civil unrest among the blacks in the US is also good and pretty much ignored here.

I recall a while ago they were told to cover more UK stuff and general news. They complied. Now they do, there is always "one complaint" (Alan Yentob probably :chuckle: ) every time they cover something the establishment finds inconvenient.

In reality, the establishment here would very much like to see RT go away. They will do everything they can to revoke their broadcasting licence here. These articles you are posting are evidence of this. Most of the complaints are nonsense. I hope they don't succeed.

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:33:44 AM »
I certainly do not agree with - UK anchor -  Suchet's suggestion that most TV News stations are controlled by Jewish interest and thus a pro-Israel agenda...

Most TV stations are Jewish controlled it seems. As is much of banking and business. Is that a bad thing? I dunno, Jews never did me any harm. But its probably fair comment that UK/US media is very pro-Israel.

I see too many examples of anti-Semitism on Russia Today fora that would never remain in public view in most countries.

You mean in the comments below articles? There is some horrible stuff in those comments, I agree. But that isn't only on RT. Many news sites that allow unmoderated comments suffer the same.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »

Most TV stations are Jewish controlled it seems. As is much of banking and business. Is that a bad thing? I dunno, Jews never did me any harm. But its probably fair comment that UK/US media is very pro-Israel.

I don't think that you are correct on the bias / control aspect

Israel was certainly more favoured when it was the Arab world v Israel, but the building on captured territory and the casualties incurred when Israel responds to attacks certainly means that is not the case, now

I see too many examples of anti-Semitism on Russia Today fora that would never remain in public view in most countries.

You mean in the comments below articles? There is some horrible stuff in those comments, I agree. But that isn't only on RT. Many news sites that allow unmoderated comments suffer the same.

It is moderated  -I have posted examples on here - and it would not be difficult to auto moderate the anti-Semitic remarks

Grand prix time ... 'peace' will reign.  :chuckle:

Offline Anteros

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »
I will make a small defense of Russian Times and that is the fact that if they are discussing things other than MH17 or Eastern Ukraine they actually offer an interesting and sometimes objective viewpoint.  As an American it's good to get out of our comfort zone and look at different opinions than our own Corporate owned mainstream media.   :coffeeread:

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
Russian Times

It was Russia Today, and is now simply RT.

As an American it's good to get out of our comfort zone and look at different opinions than our own Corporate owned mainstream media.   :coffeeread:

I hope we can all say that to some degree; American or not. I like to browse the American media similarly. Occasionally Australian and Canadian too. When its Russia-related, I may not agree with all of it, or even much of it, as I think western coverage generally is very skewed against Russia. But it is important to have a balance of media so you can make a judgement.

RT does have some good stuff on it. Much of the coverage of Ukraine is on-the-ground and excellent. Boom Bust is good, and not just because of Erin and her great legs.  ;D

For some reason they give airtime to Max Kaiser and George Galloway, both of whom I personally find quite irritating.

On matters relating to Russia, do they lean towards Russia's point of view? Of course they do. But no more than the Guardian and the BBC lean the other way or some US channels sound like a State Dept broadcast.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Pardon my mistake.  Okay, now some clever person with some cash can start a new site called:  Russian Times!   :laugh:  Let the good times roll! 

Back on topic, RT seems to have mostly good coverage about the Middle East. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 12:15:06 AM »

On matters relating to Russia, do they lean towards Russia's point of view? Of course they do. But no more than the Guardian and the BBC lean the other way or some US channels sound like a State Dept broadcast.

Your choice of the Guardian proves your radar be 'bias' need tuning .. The Guardian is the paper that Snowden uses to release his 'thoughts' and has been the subject of D notices from HMG to prevent publishing of stuff.

I don't agree with it's editorial  / political stance on most issues - but suggesting a 'pro UK bias' is almost funny.

Speaking of Snowden, why didn't Russia Today - RT to me is a retweet - run the Guardian story that Snowden considered Putin's answers to Snowden's questions on Russia's spying on it's on citizens - 'evasive' and he suggested 'local journalists should further investigate'.....

That, to me, was an example of Russia Today 'questioning less' and VERY disappointing

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 01:37:13 AM »
Speaking of Snowden, why didn't Russia Today - RT to me is a retweet - run the Guardian story that Snowden considered Putin's answers to Snowden's questions on Russia's spying on it's on citizens - 'evasive' and he suggested 'local journalists should further investigate'.....

That, to me, was an example of Russia Today 'questioning less' and VERY disappointing

I am not familiar with the story, and do not venture into a Guardian very often. The Guardians "Russia correspondent", Shawn puts me off. But to be fair, they do sometimes spout some common sense, such as this.

The previous one, Luke Harding got kicked out of Russia for writing nonsense didn't he?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 03:15:09 AM »

I am not familiar with the story, and do not venture into a Guardian very often. The Guardians "Russia correspondent", Shawn puts me off. But to be fair, they do sometimes spout some common sense, such as this.

The previous one, Luke Harding got kicked out of Russia for writing nonsense didn't he?

This is from wiki - so it is based on various sources you can check

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Harding

'The Guardian said his expulsion was linked with his critical articles on Russia,[2] while Russia's foreign ministry said that an extended certificate of foreign correspondence was not obtained in time.[3] After the reversal of the decision on 9 February and the granting of a short-term visa, Harding chose not to seek a further visa extension.[2]''

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 03:21:48 AM »

This is from wiki - so it is based on various sources you can check

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Harding

'The Guardian said his expulsion was linked with his critical articles on Russia,[2] while Russia's foreign ministry said that an extended certificate of foreign correspondence was not obtained in time.[3] After the reversal of the decision on 9 February and the granting of a short-term visa, Harding chose not to seek a further visa extension.[2]''

Your Guardian at the time reported this:

The journalist flew back to Moscow at the weekend after a two-month stint reporting on the contents of the leaked US diplomatic cables from London, but was refused entry when his passport was checked on his arrival.

After spending 45 minutes in an airport cell, he was sent back to the UK on the first available plane – with his visa annulled and his passport only returned to him after taking his seat. Harding was given no specific reason for the decision, although an airport security official working for the Federal Border Service, an arm of the FSB intelligence agency, told him: "For you Russia is closed."

Might happen to you yet.  :chuckle:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »

Your Guardian at the time reported this:

The journalist flew back to Moscow at the weekend after a two-month stint reporting on the contents of the leaked US diplomatic cables from London, but was refused entry when his passport was checked on his arrival.

After spending 45 minutes in an airport cell, he was sent back to the UK on the first available plane – with his visa annulled and his passport only returned to him after taking his seat. Harding was given no specific reason for the decision, although an airport security official working for the Federal Border Service, an arm of the FSB intelligence agency, told him: "For you Russia is closed."

Might happen to you yet.  :chuckle:

It might, if the reason is as daft..I hope you noted that I do not agree with the banning of journalists .. incl. Ukraine

Better to counter bollox than silence it !))

PS why state the Guardian is 'mine'? You are picking up Russia Today style journo tactics..  'if you repeat bollox enough, some will believe it ' ))

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »

'if you repeat bollox enough, some will believe it '

There is a political manifesto that has as one of its statements if you repeat and reinforce a lie via print it will be accepted as truth at some point.

Who or what group used that line of thinking?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »

There is a political manifesto that has as one of its statements if you repeat and reinforce a lie via print it will be accepted as truth at some point.

Most of the western media on the subject of Russia.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »
Many groups have done so over the years. As Manny notes, it is very visible in western media right now.
At some point in the future it is likely that there will be an analysis of the 'truths' claimed by western media and their thought leaders in respect of the ongoing aggression against Russia that were, in fact, lies - known untruths promoted as fact.

I have talked about how people who still post here on this very forum and thread are familiar with, and use, the concept.

In popular understanding Goebbels is reputed to have been an early implementer of the concept but he did not originate the idea. The concept was formalised by Edward Bernays Of course the notion is an observable effect and so it could hardly be credited to Bernays, or even to Goebbels. Most sociopaths/psychopaths are users of the technique. Anyone who has every gaslit a person is aware of the notion (and those groups overlap!).

Any observer of human behaviour would be familiar with, if not a user of, the technique.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »

Most of the western media on the subject of Russia.
And ALL Kremlin controlled / Oligarch cronies of said institution are of course purveyors of the golden truth ?))

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 04:56:18 AM »
PS why state the Guardian is 'mine'?

Because its all you seem to quote from.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
If I quote from the Torygraph you would claim it is biased to the UK govt...I use the Guardian as it clearly isn't... 101 stuff