The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: De-Dollarisation.  (Read 108565 times)

Online Guile

Re: De-Dollarisation.
« Reply #825 on: October 22, 2018, 05:10:04 PM »
London might not be the best place to visit, but the stats say that 80-90% of tourists who visit the UK don't go anywhere else.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #826 on: October 23, 2018, 03:49:53 AM »
London might not be the best place to visit, but the stats say that 80-90% of tourists who visit the UK don't go anywhere else.

Not if you go by these figures. What stats are you looking at?

There was a total of 39.2 million visitors to the UK in 2017.

https://www.visitbritain.org/forecast

14.1 million visitors came to Scotland and that was just an increase of 15% compared with the year before.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/scotland-receives-record-number-of-annual-visitors/

Me thinks your idea of London and its importance is massively wide of the mark. I'm sure most can work out what 90% of 39.2 million is and what it isn't. Suggesting 90% of tourists don't go anywhere else is a complete lie.

Online Guile

« Reply #827 on: October 23, 2018, 05:58:25 AM »
my bad rosco, the stats I was looking at only was for England and not the rest of the UK. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_England

According to those stats 19.5 million people visited London in 2016.   So 19.5/39 would be pretty much 50% of visitors who go to the UK go to London.

The 2nd most visited city in England was Manchester at 1.2 million.  So London outranks any other English city by a ratio of 19.5-1 or more.

50% is still a huge percentage.  Basically half the tourists who went to the UK went to London.  Now they may go elsewhere also but they do go to London.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #828 on: October 23, 2018, 06:06:51 AM »
Of course a large number fly to London. There is a large preponderance of people choosing London as an initial destination but the evidence of one's eyes will inform one that while they might fly to London and depart from London, they also go in very large numbers to other places. I'd bet that the Manchester number reflects flight arrivals.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
my bad rosco, the stats I was looking at only was for England and not the rest of the UK. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_England

According to those stats 19.5 million people visited London in 2016.   So 19.5/39 would be pretty much 50% of visitors who go to the UK go to London.

The 2nd most visited city in England was Manchester at 1.2 million.  So London outranks any other English city by a ratio of 19.5-1 or more.

50% is still a huge percentage.  Basically half the tourists who went to the UK went to London.  Now they may go elsewhere also but they do go to London.

Andrew's sort of said what I would have. London's a huge transport hub for international flights and as nice as Manchester is, I suspect many fly there and use it as a launch pad to their desired location.

For London, its not uncommon for people to arrive, take photo's of the queens guards, the palace and Tower Bridge. Get their head down for the night and bugger off somewhere nicer for a fortnight. It's a bit like Dubai or Singapore in that respect.

:thumbsup:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2018, 08:24:25 AM »
For London, its not uncommon for people to arrive, take photo's of the queens guards, the palace and Tower Bridge. Get their head down for the night and bugger off somewhere nicer for a fortnight. It's a bit like Dubai or Singapore in that respect.

Some how buggering off for a fortnight does not sound right when referencing Dubai.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #831 on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »

Some how buggering off for a fortnight does not sound right when referencing Dubai.

Are you suggesting buggering off to Mauritius, Maldives or Sri Lanka doesn't sound nice??

Online Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #832 on: October 23, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
I like to give out some stats and advice for foreign arrivals in the UK in 2017.

London Heathrow.... PAX  = 9850 millions

Gatwick                  Pax   = 5239 millions

Stansted                Pax    = 3829 millions

Manchester             Pax    = 1953 millions

OTHER UK              Pax     = 7262 Millions

Scotland                 Pax     = 1577 Millions

People visit London because there are too many historical and interesting places to see. Any how the American's are coming to see the Queen and they are not good in Geography, so visiting other places in the UK are out of the question.

They don't go to Manchester because it's raining all the time and it has not changed since I first visited my first English woman friend there, back in 1969! Additionally the old lovely Indian Raj has moved there too..... confusing the poor American's.

They don't visit NewCastle or Scotland because they can't understand their language.

They don't Visit Northern ireland because they heard about Moby and they are running away.

They don't Visit Dublin (Southern Ireland) because they find too many relatives who get them drunk every night down the pubs by the Leafy river.

Any way,  London and the South of England are definitely more organised than the north, many more places to visit, Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton if your are inclined or member of LBGT etc.

So the South on England has it All! .... Welcome to UK....

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #833 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
So the South on of England has it All! .... Welcome to the UK....

Online Wiz

« Reply #834 on: October 23, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

One small "Typo" mistake and no other grammar mistake!

I tried to be helpful, because I noticed the same mistake, by you, and you are acting like a little child ....... Pathetic for your age.

Take a look at my avatar... you deserve it! :sick0012:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #835 on: October 23, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »

I tried to be helpful, because I noticed the same mistake, by you, and you are acting like a little child ....... Pathetic for your age.

Yes I said thank you. You on the side of the coin, go off on a rant.

That you are rude and ill bred is an issue for those that you interact with.

By the way you made two mistakes.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #836 on: October 23, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »

Ignore Av’s attempts to correct you, it’s a pot kettle black situation.

For years people have corrected Av about the correct spelling of a lot (many) versus allot (which refers to an allotment) and he’s too dumb, obstinate and proud to thank anyone and make a correction.

Av also cannot discern the difference between there and their, nor would he correct himself when his betters point out his mistake.

Wiz most of us realize English is not your first language and yet you do a very fine job of making some great posts; thank you!

Online Guile

« Reply #837 on: October 23, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
Let's all write in Russian and see how far we get  :laugh: :laugh:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #838 on: October 23, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

Good one! Or we could write in Dutch.  :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #839 on: October 23, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »

I suspect Manny would likely do the best, although perhaps Dachaguy knows Russian?

Infrequent contributor ManyQuestions? seems determined to learn Russian, an admiral trait for someone who says he might like to live there and teach English.

And then there's me, I get by with Braille.  :laugh:

Online Guile

« Reply #840 on: October 24, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »
All I know is that I know more Russian than Moby and that's good enough  :laugh: :laugh:

I think Dachaguy is Russian himself so that excludes him.

Offline Manny

« Reply #841 on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:37 AM »

I suspect Manny would likely do the best, although perhaps Dachaguy knows Russian?

No, I am quite rusty. Even my 9 year old daughter howls with laughter at my pronunciation if I read something in one of her books for example. But also I stopped actively learning when my wife's English noticeably overtook my Russian. Which would have been about 2006.  :chuckle:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Wiz

« Reply #842 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:51 AM »

Yes I said thank you. You on the side of the coin, go off on a rant.

That you are rude and ill bred is an issue for those that you interact with.

By the way you made two mistakes.*

* REM what I said to Moby: "The Idiot insists".

As you must know, by now, I don't like Zionist trolls and you are one of these paid despicable characters who enjoy derailing and destroying every post on this board.

Over time, I have shown you my rude manners and my dislike to your behaviour, as you state and i ask, if it is an issue for you then why you continue interacting with me?

How many times do I have to tell you that I dislike Zionist Trolls, like you?

Confederate

Thanks for your comments but as we all know this board it's not a place for literature competition......but a place to exchange ideas and views. I have been around for many years and I hate Anonymous trolls and this Zionist miserable sod it's one of them.

:coffeeread:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #843 on: October 24, 2018, 04:45:05 AM »

Good one! Or we could write in Dutch.  :chuckle:

Ik ben voor
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Who speaks / understands Russian, better .
« Reply #844 on: October 24, 2018, 05:56:45 AM »
Now you are being more honest   :popcorn:

No, I am quite rusty.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

« Reply #845 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »
[ I lived in London and that is about the only place worth mentioning in the UK.

There you go again,  you haven't been to the rest of the UK - apart from Dover and  suggesting outside of London isn't worth seeing  :ROFL:

You seem to think you're qualified to talk about things and pass yourself off as an "expert" when you have zero experience.

From brexit to Russian politics and Chinese business, you've been busted for your bollox so much your belly is bursting. You better start apologizing now for all the lies. 

How many enemies have you made here?  No one likes to talk to you, think about that.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Sting123 'UK tourist guide' - having been to London and Kent ...
« Reply #846 on: October 25, 2018, 01:29:22 AM »

Quote from: sying123 ink=topic=24660.msg486080#msg486080 date=1540179853
[ I lived in London and that is about the only place worth mentioning in the UK.

There you go again,  you haven't been to the rest of the UK - apart from Dover - and  suggesting outside of London isn't worth seeing  :ROFL:

You seem to think you're qualified to talk about things and pass yourself off as an "expert" when you have zero experience.

I've not seen many posters diss places they've never been to ...  Naturally, I have been to most of the places you dismissed

I've never watched 'Games of Thrones' - but I know it has had some magical effect on folks wanting to see places in N.Ireland I've raved about and wondered why Russians were so keen to go there..

From brexit to Russian politics and Chinese business, you've been busted for your bollox so much your belly is bursting. You better start apologizing now for all the lies.

I missed being busted on any of those subjects  ..  what lies ? ...(:)

How many enemies have you made here?  No one likes to talk to you, think about that.

I'm thinking that you don't think..  or pay attention.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

« Reply #847 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:00 AM »
You blatantly lied about your Russian speaking abilities after I called you out on it.  You couldn't even understand what I wrote you in Russian here.

Try and get 1 forum member here to publicly say that you are their friend and that you helped them out.  Bet you can't.

I had several members on the other forum who I personally gave advice to about Moscow and beyond, and even some Russian women who backed me up via PM when dealing with Boethius.

You still arguing with John Gaunt, BillyB, DaveNY, Trenchcoat, JayH...did I miss anyone?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #848 on: October 25, 2018, 03:26:16 AM »
You blatantly lied about your Russian speaking abilities after I called you out on it.  You couldn't even understand what I wrote you in Russian here.

Try and get 1 forum member here to publicly say that you are their friend and that you helped them out.  Bet you can't.

I had several members on the other forum who I personally gave advice to about Moscow and beyond, and even some Russian women who backed me up via PM when dealing with Boethius.

You still arguing with John Gaunt, BillyB, DaveNY, Trenchcoat, JayH...did I miss anyone?

Perhaps there should be a sign on the threads do not feed 'Moby'. Reminds me of the expression 'don't wrestle with pigs, you get dirty and the pigs like it',  think it was O. Wilde.

Online Guile

« Reply #849 on: October 25, 2018, 03:28:11 AM »
Moby, do some critical self-examination and learn how to make friends in real life.  It's a pretty useful skill to have.

Registration