The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: De-Dollarisation.  (Read 106630 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: De-Dollarisation.
« Reply #700 on: April 30, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »

The French have managed to maintain building there own cars. Something the UK can not claim, remind RUA who owns, Rover, Jaguar and Rolls Royce. The French have constructed some of the most iconic cars ever, rivaling other countries vehicles. If one drives a Renault; Espace or Safrane or a Citroën C5 one can only complain if you hold a bias.

Renault gets browny points for weening itself from government ownership and more or less holding its head above water as an automobile manufacturer in France.
Maybe, I drove cars from all 3 of them for at least 2+ years and every time they proved to be unreliable, except the diesel-engine of my Peug-206...... which I found out later was really a BMW engine in disguise.

Back then, it was a company car, so reliability didn't matter much to me. But now with my own wheels, I'll never buy a french one.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #701 on: April 30, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »

The French have managed to maintain building there own cars. Something the UK can not claim, remind RUA who owns, Rover, Jaguar and Rolls Royce. The French have constructed some of the most iconic cars ever, rivaling other countries vehicles. If one drives a Renault; Espace or Safrane or a Citroën C5 one can only complain if you hold a bias.

Renault gets browny points for weening itself from government ownership and more or less holding its head above water as an automobile manufacturer in France.
Maybe, I drove cars from all 3 of them for at least 2+ years and every time they proved to be unreliable, except the diesel-engine of my Peug-206...... which I found out later was really a BMW engine in disguise.

Back then, it was a company car, so reliability didn't matter much to me. But now with my own wheels, I'll never buy a french one.

Curious for the 206 which model and year?

Peugot still is one the primary builders of diesel engines. Though it would not surprise me that the common rail was from Simens or Bosch. Together with my ex we had a 206 diesel, it was great in country but on a long haul tiring. My favourites of French vintage were my BX (a red diesel break) and XM.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #702 on: April 30, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

Curious for the 206 which model and year?

I don't know the exact model, but it was the 90BHP HDI version, with nearly all luxury installed in it. no option was left unchecked. Built in the year 2001.  Back then they had some special "Roland garros" edition, I wanted that one but in ocean-blue which they didn't do. So I took the strongest diesel-engine as base and started selecting options until there were none left. glass roof, nice wheels, bucket-sport-seats leather, climate control, navigation, all of it.

I don't agree with you on the long haul thingy only. It was the only car ever, I could get into with back-pain and after 15 minutes of driving that car it went away.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #703 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
Manny and Moby disagree - AGAIN ! :)

The BEST ( fun)  car I ever had was a Renault 5 GT Turbo.

I used it for business - even delivering in it - carried loads of weight.

It was reliable and FAST ....

I had a Citroen BX TD Estate from new in 89 - ran it into the ground  with 332,000 miles ion the clock - c.500K - My first wife wanted me to scrap it - but it was legendary. I used it to take rubbish to the skip in the trailer and we towed 3 Laser sailing dinghies with one on the roof - filled with sailing gear and the sailors all over the UK. 

'UNRELIABLE'?..

The Peugeot Citroen Group just bought GM's European operations......

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #704 on: May 01, 2017, 05:30:58 AM »
Manny and Moby disagree - AGAIN ! :)

The BEST ( fun)  car I ever had was a Renault 5 GT Turbo.

I used it for business - even delivering in it - carried loads of weight.

It was reliable and FAST ....

I had a Citroen BX TD Estate from new in 89 - ran it into the ground  with 332,000 miles ion the clock - c.500K - My first wife wanted me to scrap it - but it was legendary. I used it to take rubbish to the skip in the trailer and we towed 3 Laser sailing dinghies with one on the roof - filled with sailing gear and the sailors all over the UK. 

'UNRELIABLE'?..

The Peugeot Citroen Group just bought GM's European operations......

I suspect the Renault GT5 (leCar for Yanks) would lap a VW Golf (rabbit) GTI.

I also owned the BX TD (Break) or for the UK an Estate. I suspect you got a discount for the red colour. Was a great car, but mine only lasted to about 400,000K it was T-boned by a BMW in The Hague. While I could have repaired the Red Paprika as we named it the dealer gave a great price on an XM. The BMW was a total loss and he was traveling at about 50 km.

Somewhere I read Renault owns some percentage of I think the Nissan Group.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #705 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #706 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:01 AM »
Putin Orders End To Trade In US Dollars At Russian Seaports

https://www.globalresearch.ca/putin-orders-end-to-trade-in-us-dollars-at-russian-seaports/5610248

Yet Dollars and Euros remain the currency of choice re under the bed money..

We are selling the Toyota Rav 4 and the buyer wants to buy in Dollars ....   

We are buying another apartment and the seller wants paid some 'under the table money' in Dollars...

Both were informed that this was Russia and we would deal electronically -in the national currency

This declaration is a bit of a joke given that the Rouble is not exactly an international trading currency - will surely promote business....NOT

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #707 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:48 AM »
While Russia is, officially, against the use of crypto currencies by its citizens those same citizens are pretty damn active in production, marketing and use of crypto. The government is seriously investigating the use of crypto and is likely to support crypto currency use in trade.

So what?

Well, the main benefit of a reserve currency is that it is liquid and able to be used as an intermediary currency between any other currency pairs in global trade.

Crypto currencies offer the same benefits and enable state owned and controlled currencies to be ditched.

I think that we are likely to see the use of state backed crypto currencies in the near future as a means to insulate against the current weaponization of the dollar. (read Trump's UN speech the other day to understand the import of this!)

On that note, it is interesting to see how countries such as Indonesia and Ukraine are saying that cryptocurrencies are not actually money while at the same time doing nothing to stop their use. Of course, states wish to retain the monopoly over money creation, it is central to their ability to maintain power over citizens but at the same time for producers of weak currencies crypto is a very handy tool to have available.

Bitcoin and others are, and will continue to be, tools of de dollarisation.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #708 on: September 25, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
Putin Orders End To Trade In US Dollars At Russian Seaports

https://www.globalresearch.ca/putin-orders-end-to-trade-in-us-dollars-at-russian-seaports/5610248

Yet Dollars and Euros remain the currency of choice re under the bed money..

We are selling the Toyota Rav 4 and the buyer wants to buy in Dollars ....   

We are buying another apartment and the seller wants paid some 'under the table money' in Dollars...

Both were informed that this was Russia and we would deal electronically -in the national currency

This declaration is a bit of a joke given that the Rouble is not exactly an international trading currency - will surely promote business....NOT

I think you're getting a bit confused here Moby?

Tom Cat has posted about a government directive, you're talking about end consumers. Not the same thing.

The little man wants to deal in a stable currency because every penny counts, the government wants to increase the stability of the national currency which requires growth & increased useage.

Again you're being disruptive for the sake of it or perhaps I'm overestimating you.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #709 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
What moby probably does not know is that it is illegal for transactions within Russia to be made in any currency other than the ruble.

All that is happening is that people who are making such transactions are being put on notice that they can no longer expect to do so.

There will be some side benefits accruing to the country but there is no reason to expect the state or government to put up with payments made in something other than rubles. This is, in part, I am sure, why the government does not want Russians buying and using cryptocurrencies. That noted, I am also sure that the Russian state would prefer to see people using Bitcoin or Ethereum in preference to dollars, especially given the trackability of crypto.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Offline Contrarian

Offline Poldark

« Reply #712 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
Yes but it's Russia so you pay in $ or € anyway or at least that is what I have learned although I'm not buying a car, a house or anything else of value in Russia.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #713 on: August 17, 2018, 01:29:33 AM »
Hmm

Always thought this 'de-dollarisation' was a pipe-dream ...  Seems like 'Trampu' is recruiting officer for BRICS !

Turkey could join ...

Online AvHdB

« Reply #714 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
Hmm

Always thought this 'de-dollarisation' was a pipe-dream ...  Seems like 'Trampu' is recruiting officer for BRICS !

Turkey could join ...

:laugh:

The Turkish currency is now stable and there is an 'attempt' at controlling the inflation. Albeit just announced. Leslie should be able to give better insight than others here.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #715 on: August 17, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
Just checked prices:

USG v Ruble gone up to 66.99

Euro v Ruble is stabilised at 76.63

£ v Ruble stabilised at  85.46

Turkish Lira stabilised and Ertogan is not worried about the American actions against his economy. His banks are clearing all money for oil Iran sales and I read that the American Incirlik Air Base. is moving to Greece.

A week ago the US Defence Minister has met with the Turkish FM and handed him a list of 17 foreign nationals held in Turkey to be released, between them 2 Greek officers that Turkey kidnapped on the NE frontiers and were in prison for 167 days, but the American Pastor held at house arrest for the past 2 years was not released. 

Ertogan appears to be very strong at the moment because the past 3 years he cleared all the Army leaders, who in the past were running the country and put them in prison, so the Americans don't have much access in the army.

There is a rumour on Turkish papers that Turkey is moving to Join the BRICS. Russia is building on the south of Turkey a large Atomic energy station, so Putin is also gaining as the South (Turkish) Stream pile line is in progress towards the European part of Turkey and through Greece to supply Italy and other EU countries with Gas.

That is the latest info ... i just read in the Greek papers.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #716 on: August 18, 2018, 01:59:15 AM »
What moby probably does not know is that it is illegal for transactions within Russia to be made in any currency other than the ruble.

Andrewfi :  Please tell us why it isn't illegal to have a Paypal account registered in Russia and what currency it uses ? 

Rosco: IF you took the time to read, you'd GET that what the govt. is trying to do and what is actually happening on the ground - are two different things. Euros Dollars and Pounds are preferred currency for under the bed money

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #717 on: August 19, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
Somebody is bored today. moby, go do the learning for yourself. Pop down to the library and get a book.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #718 on: August 19, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
Somebody is bored today. moby, go do the learning for yourself. Pop down to the library and get a book.

Correction : You posted bollox ... 

As those of us with loved ones in Russia know - Paypal accounts are permitted and they are in .... USD    I know Russians who pay other Russians in USD and LEGALLY draw down to Rouble accounts and declare from whence the money originated

Why DO you feel to post crap about living in a nation you don't visit enough to know about ?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #719 on: August 20, 2018, 01:02:33 AM »

Correction : You posted bollox ... 

As those of us with loved ones in Russia know - Paypal accounts are permitted and they are in .... USD    I know Russians who pay other Russians in USD and LEGALLY draw down to Rouble accounts and declare from whence the money originated

Why DO you feel to post crap about living in a nation you don't visit enough to know about ?

Why do you post crap you know nothing about. Paypal is not internal to russia. Hence the declaring & converting. Shheeesh grow up man
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #720 on: August 20, 2018, 02:49:45 AM »
Markje

I have seen money from a Russian paypal account ...with a Russian address sent BY a Russian to another Russian...living in Russia, with a Russian address and the money was withdrawn to a Russian bank account.

Please don't respond until you phoned a friend...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #721 on: August 20, 2018, 03:06:30 AM »

Why do you post crap you know nothing about.

Markje, Do you have biz partners / friends in Russia?

Suggesting I 'know nothing', when I've set them up with Paypal accounts, SC and other friends - sending them monies - when they pay for / buy something for me because my UK banks cards do not work ...I send them money BEFOREHAND

Can you imagine?  One of said people transferred funds to his partners ( as in g/friend's account )

They were booking places in the US last year on Airbnb and I sent them both a code to get discount ... but due to the the spat over expulsions their US Visa couldn't be processed - so they withdrew as the trip had to be cancelled

So ...  I sent him money - he send her money and she withdrew it - the latter two transactions being in USD within Russia and she withdrew her USD to her Russian bank in Roubles

Sheesh, isn't it better to ask  - before looking a fool

Now if you are lucky - a kind mod will 'protect' you from your silliness

Don't worry - I will find a way to prove to you and we'll see if you are polite enough to apologise  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #722 on: August 20, 2018, 04:09:15 AM »
Mark, let me tell a little story about a fictional bloke; let us call him 'moby'.

When moby was a little boy his mother used to tell him he was a very clever little boy. He was bright enough to be able to avoid the local comprehensive school and got into his local grammar school, a happy event that enabled him to avoid much of the bullying he suffered at the hands of his primary schoolmates.

Sadly, this was the first time he discovered that his mummy had not been telling the truth. Moby was not the brightest kid in the room - indeed not the brightest kid in pretty much any room he entered for the next 7 years.

As a result he never went to university but sought out a way of living that suited the indolence for which his doting mummy had trained him. He understood that although he was not as clever as his mummy had told him, he was still much smarter than many people around him and that insight has formed the basis of his life ever since.

So, we have moby, today, a man who is too lazy to bother to learn (or work) and much less smart than many of the people in many of the rooms he enters - and that burns him, still!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #723 on: August 20, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »

So, we have moby, today, a man who is too lazy to bother to learn (or work) and much less smart than many of the people in many of the rooms he enters - and that burns him, still!

Not ONE part of dear andrew's musings was factually correct ... a lot like his knowledge of paypal accounts within Russia  :chuckle:

Mr perennially single - the expert in nothing - except wordy bollox with no basis in fact, strikes again

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #724 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
Markje

I have seen money from a Russian paypal account ...with a Russian address sent BY a Russian to another Russian...living in Russia, with a Russian address and the money was withdrawn to a Russian bank account.

Please don't respond until you phoned a friend...

My friend told me to ask you: where does paypal seat its banking license. ?
OO===[][]===OO

Registration