The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Real estate market n Ukraine  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Real estate market n Ukraine
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »
I was looking at apartments in Kiev. What I was a surprised by was how much new construction was going on and how much demand there is for real estate in Kiev. You would never know the country was in such bad financial condition or in a server recession based on the real estate market. There are new tall building going up everywhere full of appartments and new store fontage.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Real estate market n Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:09 AM »
I saw prices of apartments ranging from 13999-21999 UAH per sq m.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:13:52 AM »
How many of the developments that you saw were actually under construction?
There's a lot of projects that have been halted - equipment is still on site but nothing moves.
Other projects have been curtailed - work rate is slowed to a minimum or project scope reduced.

I'd guess that both of those cases would be quite hard to see to a one-time passerby who did not see that little or no progress was being made.

I saw an interesting photo-essay on the topic a while back, lots of lovely looking developments but all in stasis, one place was a whole residential district that had seen a lot of completions but is almost completely vacant.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:31:20 AM »

I saw an interesting photo-essay on the topic a while back, lots of lovely looking developments but all in stasis, one place was a whole residential district that had seen a lot of completions but is almost completely vacant.

Such stasis is not confined to Kiev or even Ukraine..when I first came to Sochi, I was impressed by the quality/ quantity of construction - then I came back and realised most of it hadn't progressed.

There's been plenty of coverage about firms taking people's money and going under - with the recipient and money nowhere to be found in Russia...  :GRRRR:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »

We are selling a two bedroom bungalow at the moment in Chernivtsi and it equates to 21,900 UAH / sq m.
Слава Україні

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

We are selling a two bedroom bungalow at the moment in Chernivtsi and it equates to 21,900 UAH / sq m.
How do bungalows compare with apartments?

Offline Texan77

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »

There's been plenty of coverage about firms taking people's money and going under - with the recipient and money nowhere to be found in Russia...  :GRRRR:

I do understand this is very true in the Ukraine. You also have to be very careful that after you have paid for it you really own it. It is what makes me nervous about this I have no idea how to do a title search and I do not believe they have any type of title insurance. I understand you can hire an attorney, but how do you know you can trust him?
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
This is an example of new building in Kiev. This one has picture of recent construction but some others do not.

http://hoffmann.kiev.ua/

Offline Texan77

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
This is an animated video showing a large development. I have no idea what is really there. I can not believe anyone would want to buy an incomplete unit in the Ukraine. It is just too well known as a place where people get ripped off.

Donald Trump is envolved in a law suite where people bought a condo in a building under construction with his name on it. The company went broke and they lost their large deposit. This was in 2008 when the bottom of the market fell out. So maybe that is not even a good idea in the USA neither. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AWDfGY7XA3A

Offline Odessarents

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 02:16:39 AM »
This is an example of new building in Kiev. This one has picture of recent construction but some others do not.

http://hoffmann.kiev.ua/

Most new residential properties are typically sold as ‘shell and core’ construction and require a full renovation by the buyer. Additionally, taxes and bank requirements for non-residents should be taken into account by foreign buyers.

Offline Odessarents

• Commercial Member

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »

How do bungalows compare with apartments?

In this case more expensive, but it also has mature gardens and the location is A1, so that counts for quite a bit too.
Слава Україні

Offline cdnexpat

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
http://bunews.com.ua/economy/item/ukrainian-real-estate-property-prices-and-hryvnia-woes

Good assessment. Yes, the buyer of a new apartment has to be aware, that the complete inside renovations will almost double the price. As a foreigner, is is very difficult to manage the renovations. As I have seen in other FSU countries, there are many obstacles. From the corrupt city officials, to incompetent workers.
I would never buy an uncompleted flat.
The best deal to have is an older apartment, which needs renovations. Most of the time, these renovations can be done slowly, and involve less work.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 03:01:27 AM »
Last night while I was in our building's comms room - watching the network engineer trying to solve an ipTV issue we are having - SC had an unsolicited knock on the door

''Would your 'englishman' be interested in buying another apartment in the building  ?'' :chuckle:  I had had a conversation - in English - with a resident - a week ago about house prices here still falling and it being a buyers' market ..

SC threw them out and they tried to engage me in the comms room, as we were scratching our heads about a 'network traffic shaping issue' ..   I guess it was enterprising of them, but they picked a bad moment and the network engineer sent them off with a flea in the ear

Said neighbour admitted they would get commission and mentioning it to the 'Realtors' - such an American English word - and also received said flea from SC ...  :chuckle:

The apartment is 100m sq and has been on the market for 9 months - owners from Moscow.. The neighbour who thought she might earn commission is renting the place and wants to get out of the contract - easy if sold - as rental values are correspondingly falling and she could save money

The apartment price has fallen from 12,000,000 to 6,000, 000 Roubles - 180, 000 usd to 90.000 USD

The building is only 2 years old and in a 'good area' - but there are so many places for sale / uncompleted - I cannot see how prices will stabilise, yet

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
Last night while I was in our building's comms room - watching the network engineer trying to solve an ipTV issue we are having - SC had an unsolicited knock on the door

''Would your 'englishman' be interested in buying another apartment in the building  ?'' :chuckle:  I had had a conversation - in English - with a resident - a week ago about house prices here still falling and it being a buyers' market ..

SC threw them out and they tried to engage me in the comms room, as we were scratching our heads about a 'network traffic shaping issue' ..   I guess it was enterprising of them, but they picked a bad moment and the network engineer sent them off with a flea in the ear

Said neighbour admitted they would get commission and mentioning it to the 'Realtors' - such an American English word - and also received said flea from SC ...  :chuckle:

The apartment is 100m sq and has been on the market for 9 months - owners from Moscow.. The neighbour who thought she might earn commission is renting the place and wants to get out of the contract - easy if sold - as rental values are correspondingly falling and she could save money

The apartment price has fallen from 12,000,000 to 6,000, 000 Roubles - 180, 000 usd to 90.000 USD

The building is only 2 years old and in a 'good area' - but there are so many places for sale / uncompleted - I cannot see how prices will stabilise, yet

You should have told them you were skint and had debt. They would have gone away faster.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 06:08:07 AM »

Unless you have know the neighbours a long time its best not to discuss anything with them especially being a foreigner. I have three other neighbours on my floor and its a "Hello" at most. Im probably different to you and do not trust anyone :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »
I am the open and friendly type .. very trusting... !)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »
I am the open and friendly type .. very trusting... !)

Could you lend me 100K I will return it next week  ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
Roubles... I hope )