The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 2 Russias  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: 2 Russias
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 12:43:49 AM »

Lovely interior

Yes, it's an iconic place  :) http://content.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1850865_1850705_1850689,00.html

But it's not named 'Pushkin' because of the proximity to the square, it's after Becauld's chanson "Nathalie" (@ 0:54)

This an excellent essay: Russian fairy-tale, Café Pushkin http://blog.swiss.com/en/2015/04/russian-fairy-tale

"Nothing is a “toy” in the cafe Pushkin. Every object here really works and what you would estimate as a pure decoration is actually always something you can really use.

The history of the building of the Café Pushkin goes back to the 18th century. Originally it was built as a baroque house by a Petrograd nobleman. In the mid- 19th century the house was bought by a German aristocrat who opened a pharmacy on the ground floor and a library on the first floor. Many years later the French chansonnier Gilbert Becaud sang the song “Nathalie”, which poetically mentions Café Pushkin, not referring to any particular place in Moscow. But due to the high popularity of the chanson “Nathalie”, people visiting Moscow started to search for this imaginary cafeteria. And so in 1999, on the 4th of June, A. K. Dellos came up with an idea to open up a cafeteria from that chanson right in this building. The grand opening ceremony was accompanied by the famous song “Nathalie” presented by Gilbert Becaud himself."

Yes have washed her new white car twice in 10 days for her  :biggrin: :chuckle:

That's so nice of you, Spark! :thumbsup:

Btw, it's quite some time now that i wanted to ask, how are the ladies getting used to driving on the left? I  didn't drive in UK, but every time i'd need to cross a street i'd get very confused (it's the mantra mothers repeat you since the beginning of time: look first left then right when crossing! And then you go   :hidechair:  ;D )
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:30 AM »

Yes have washed her new white car twice in 10 days for her  :biggrin: :chuckle:

That's so nice of you, Spark! :thumbsup:

Btw, it's quite some time now that i wanted to ask, how are the ladies getting used to driving on the left? I  didn't drive in UK, but every time i'd need to cross a street i'd get very confused (it's the mantra mothers repeat you since the beginning of time: look first left then right when crossing! And then you go   :hidechair:  ;D )
[/quote]

No problem so far  :hidechair: but there is plenty of time for that  :chuckle: E drove in France when we were there as she had her Russian license with her and she was also fine and enjoyed it, but she is doing well driving in and around Oxford in all the traffic, but still get a little nervous to drive on the small country lanes where we live.
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
E drove in France when we were there as she had her Russian license with her and she was also fine and enjoyed it, but she is doing well driving in and around Oxford in all the traffic, but still get a little nervous to drive on the small country lanes where we live.

She rocks!  :thumbsup: I would be scared even to try!  ;D
I think it was Orchid who wrote about knowing Americans to be friendly and smiling, but got surprised to which extent they were like that, when she drove in the USA for the 1st time - everyone went out of their way to wave at her and and all... until she got it she was driving in the wrong lane!  ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline Manny

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 01:56:49 AM »
Btw, it's quite some time now that i wanted to ask, how are the ladies getting used to driving on the left?

She has been doing it so long it is natural now. Now she is cautious to drive on the right when we are abroad and prefers to avoid it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »
Btw, it's quite some time now that i wanted to ask, how are the ladies getting used to driving on the left?

She has been doing it so long it is natural now. Now she is cautious to drive on the right when we are abroad and prefers to avoid it.

In fact, i read it's safer to drive on the left side.  :biggrin:
Douglas Adams

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 02:24:49 AM »
Most FSU wives

1/ HATE 'British' roundabouts - the concept in addition to  entering/ exiting

2/ prefer to drive autos - as changing gear is one less thing to worry about

3/ still cross the street as if they have all the time in the world and don't bother to keep looking to see if all cars have stopped.

4/ end up used to 'our side' being 'normal' and dislike driving on the 'wrong' side.

I base this 'generalisation' on observations having lived in with FSU folk Cyprus / UK over 14 years

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:44 AM »

Quite, when you need to go to draw your sword or weapon of choice.....

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 02:43:21 AM »

Quite, when you need to go to draw your sword or weapon of choice.....

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Thanks! This makes sense:
"In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road."

What can i say, except that it does perplex me now why in Monte we are driving on the right side!  :biggrin: (Need to ask around... )
Douglas Adams

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 02:47:05 AM »

What can i say, except that it does perplex me now why in Monte we are driving on the right side!  :biggrin: (Need to ask around... )

The British didn't save you from yourselves  ?  :chuckle:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:47 AM »

The British didn't save you from yourselves  ?  :chuckle:

No, but you should have!  ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »
I have never been a fan of big cities ...nice to visit - not to stay

Moscow is no exception to that rule and probably the best example of why I feel this way.

SC lived in Moscow and escaped to Sochi. The pace of life is slower, less stress.

If you want to 'get on' in Russia business wise - Moscow is where it is at...If you want some thing you've ordered off the internet delivered the same day - you want Moscow.

I am sharing life with her - testing how we fit and already feel a sense of 'frustration' - that outside Moscow - everything moves at a slower pace.

I have never known anyone who wanted to escape Moscow to live in the country, usually it the other way around?

Of course I know Sochi is not the country but you know what I mean :)

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »
Steveboy..this place is FULL of folk from Moscow /Spb and even..just .. V/vostock seeking a mild climate.. but remaining in Russia.

It is a melting pot of Caucas Folk, too. The restaurants reflect that.

Yummy

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
Steveboy..this place is FULL of folk from Moscow /Spb and even..just V/vostock seeking a mild climate.. but remaining in Russia.

The weather is not so bad in Moscow or St Petes, though this summer has been the worst I have seen for many years :((  Its not much better in the Uk at the moment either :(  Im already tired of the place and can't wait to get home next week :)

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »

I have never known anyone who wanted to escape Moscow to live in the country, usually it the other way around?

Most love escaping Moscow for the weekend, and spending it at dacha, but that's pretty much it, no one wants to live outside of MKAD (Moscow Road Ring)... that's unless they can afford to live in Rublevka  ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »

Most love escaping Moscow for the weekend, and spending it at dacha, but that's pretty much it, no one wants to live outside of MKAD (Moscow Road Ring)... that's unless they can afford to live in Rublevka  ;D

Thats what I thought! So maybe there is more to it than meet the eye :-X

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »

Thats what I thought! So maybe there is more to it than meet the eye :-X

Я не знаю, может быть  :-X
Douglas Adams

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »

The weather is not so bad in Moscow or St Petes, though this summer has been the worst I have seen for many years :((  Its not much better in the Uk at the moment either :(  Im already tired of the place and can't wait to get home next week :)

Jeez, didn't you see the hailstones and floods in SPb ... ?'

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »

Jeez, didn't you see the hailstones and floods in SPb ... ?'

Yes I did see on the news my neighbourhood was flooded hope my Koshka is ok ;D