The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Coffee/tea making facilities in Russian hotel rooms  (Read 7114 times)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Coffee/tea making facilities in Russian hotel rooms
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:52:24 AM »
And does anyone know why it's not common to find a coffee/tea making facilities in Russian hotel rooms? in Moscow we had no kettle neither time, in Chelyabinsk we did, and here it twas explained to me why.

In the commercial traveller world, it's common in order to save money to buy sausages in the local produktniy and boil them in the kettle robbing the hotel of some potential food profit.

Hence you may find no coffee/tea making facilities!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Coffee/tea making facilities in Russian hotel rooms
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:56:04 AM »
And does anyone know why it's not common to find a coffee/tea making facilities in Russian hotel rooms? in Moscow we had no kettle neither time, in Chelyabinsk we did, and here it twas explained to me why.

In the commercial traveller world, it's common in order to save money to buy sausages in the local produktniy and boil them in the kettle robbing the hotel of some potential food profit.

In case anyone missed the title of this thread, it's 'Return to Kiev, not Return to Moscow. 

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »

In case anyone missed the title of this thread, it's 'Return to Kiev, not Return to Moscow.

You are right DS, sorry!

p.s. It's Ste, it's always him, he misleads us, the innocent, with his words, just like Pied Piper of Hameln with his flaut!!!   :( :( :( :( Thanks for calling out on him!  >:(
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
Ste,  you bugger,  now I have to check my kettles before using them to check for porky sossige detritus.

It does make sense though,  I can imagine that happening,  and not just in Cyrillicland.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:04:46 AM »

Keep yer wig on DS, I'm sure the Mods will split it off!

My excuse is I just got up and I can't even see properly yet, let alone the title of the thread!

Anyway sorry!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 04:09:24 AM »
Ste,  you bugger,  now I have to check my kettles before using them to check for porky sossige detritus.

;D ;D ;D

I never cook anything in a hotel room, i am just posh like that, but my best friend in Egypt insisted on making her own coffee in the room ... Not sure what she did, but there was something like small explosion, then smoke, then hotel was left without electricity for couple of hours during which i pretended we are not acquainted and, along with everyone else, gave her most judgmental and resenting looks :saint:

Pls, could we split this into another thread, we really hijacked DS's thread ...
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 04:13:06 AM »

;D ;D ;D

I never cook anything in a hotel room, i am just posh like that, but my best friend in Egypt insisted on making her own coffee in the room ... Not sure what she did, but there was something like small explosion, then smoke, then hotel was left without electricity for couple of hours during which i pretended we are not acquainted and, along with everyone else, gave her most judgmental and resenting looks :saint:

Pls, could we split this into another thread, we really hijacked DS's thread ...
Sadly, I am unable to comment on the availability of tea/coffee making facilities in Kiev hotels or the presence of porcine matter in the same as a comparison to those of Moscow hotels.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 04:21:04 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Sadly, I am unable to comment on the availability of tea/coffee making facilities in Kiev hotels or the presence of porcine matter in the same as a comparison to those of Moscow hotels.

Luckily, because you have a beautiful wife and her ( both biological and extended) family there  :)

Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 04:24:23 AM »
I just completed another trans European trek and now I have my return journey breakfast menu sorted and all cookable in my room! Boiled eggs,  sausage and bacon.  With a starter of porridge and a dollop of jam. Followed up with a nice pot of tea.
A great start to the day before a swim and sauna.

Any more ideas for tasty comestibles ideal for cooking with the aid of hotel room appliances?

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:28:30 AM »
I just completed another trans European trek and now I have my return journey breakfast menu sorted and all cookable in my room! Boiled eggs,  sausage and bacon.  With a starter of porridge and a dollop of jam. Followed up with a nice pot of tea.

Oh dear... I don't eat that (except eggs), and i mostly drink coffee, but when you write it, it sounds DIVINE!!! What is it in your language that makes everything sound so promising and desirable?!  ;D

Any more ideas for tasty comestibles ideal for cooking with the aid of hotel room appliances?

Flirt shamelessly with guys on at the reception desk, they send you baskets full of fruits, cookies and pots of coffee+ creamers to your room for free... Wait, you need to be blond female with big boobs for that...  :scared0005:
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »
Being pleasant to the staff always works well,  but I'd hesitate to call that flirting.

Never tried it to get my hands on some fresh,  ripe pieces of fruit though.

Oh,  by the way,  please exclude from any suggestions the use of Pot Noodles or ramen,  that's just lazy and uncreative thinking!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 04:44:46 AM »
Being pleasant to the staff always works well,  but I'd hesitate to call that flirting.

I like your mind, you know that :KISSSS:

Oh,  by the way,  please exclude from any suggestions the use of Pot Noodles or ramen,  that's just lazy and uncreative thinking!

;D ;D ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 04:50:49 AM »

Bacon in the trouser press? Or maybe iron it on the highest setting?

In Chel. Nadia sen me down to reception for more milk carton things. We were on the 11th floor, and I noticed the cleaning staff habitually left the door to the room with all the stuff in it slightly ajar since if you closed it gently again the jamb it would not fully close and lock. there was a keypad on it.

It was ajar. I couldn't be arsed going downstairs. I went in room. Door closed and locked behind me. Bugger.

Had to call reception in my crap Russian and after making me sweat for about 40 minutes they came and let me out.

Nicked a load of milk and tea and coffee though so it was Ste 1-0 Radisson Blu.....

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 04:56:59 AM »
Hmmm, I'm going to rename this thread.

How about, 'The use of hotel implements in the FSU to cook breakfast and other experiences'?

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 05:24:22 AM »

Nicked a load of milk and tea and coffee though so it was Ste 1-0 Radisson Blu.....

:ROFL:

Hmmm, I'm going to rename this thread.

How about, 'The use of hotel implements in the FSU to cook breakfast and other experiences'?

:thumbsup:

with a subtitle: without burning down the hotel or getting locked up somewhere for prolonged periods of time

;D
Douglas Adams

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 09:24:10 AM »
The Chinese are getting themselves a reputation for such behaviour. They're apparently eating nothing but instant noodles in their rooms and not spending money in hotel restaurants or in resorts. Hotels in the Maldives and other places have taken kettles out of Chinese guests rooms as a result.

The Chinese aren't happy about this. Still, probably saving 20kg per person on additional luggage.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
The Chinese are getting themselves a reputation for such behaviour. They're apparently eating nothing but instant noodles in their rooms and not spending money in hotel restaurants or in resorts. Hotels in the Maldives and other places have taken kettles out of Chinese guests rooms as a result.

The Chinese aren't happy about this. Still, probably saving 20kg per person on additional luggage.
Food in huge quantities can't be taken across Monte border during the summer (i mean in private cars), there's a law that was introduced couple of years ago;  because what was happening before is that peeps would buy in neighboring countries, where it's cheaper, crates of veggies, eggs, huge amounts of meat and what not and would bring it with them, we have even an expression for that "tomato tourists", let alone they'd stay in cheapest/ illegal accommodation (read: not paying tourist taxes or whatsoever), they wouldn't spend anything and there were too many poisonings from that food that would be kept who knows where  :duh: We don't have capacities to accommodate that, our beaches are limited and our own south lives (mostly) exclusively of tourism, so...  :duh:

In defense of Chinese, whereas probably they also think in terms of budgeting, but they are really not accustomed to any other food, but their own. They can't eat (and most have problems digesting) bread, diary and many other products we consume on daily basis... My once-flatmate in Moscow was paying serious $$$ to get their junk food (marinated chicken feet  :sick0002:), whereas she could have enjoyed fresh local foods for half of that sum or even less... (I mean, tvorog/ quark, kefir, borodinskiy bread, herring, buckwheat... yummy!!! Nope.  :duh:)
Douglas Adams

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »

In defense of Chinese, whereas probably they also think in terms of budgeting, but they are really not accustomed to any other food, but their own. They can't eat (and most have problems digesting) bread, diary and many other products we consume on daily basis... My once-flatmate in Moscow was paying serious $$$ to get their junk food (marinated chicken feet  :sick0002:), whereas she could have enjoyed fresh local foods for half of that sum or even less... (I mean, tvorog/ quark, kefir, borodinskiy bread, herring, buckwheat... yummy!!! Nope.  :duh:)

Sigh...Although, I was surprised to see buckwheat sold everywhere on a Chinese market in Vancouver. They sell it raw so it has to be roasted (toasted?) first. I guess they picked it up. Kefir is now massively produced in the west. Borodinsky still remains a dream that haven't crossed the ocean yet. I do not take into account weak attempts to produce it locally and sell in Russian stores.  Any professional bakers reading that?  ;D

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »

Sigh...Although, I was surprised to see buckwheat sold everywhere on a Chinese market in Vancouver. They sell it raw so it has to be roasted (toasted?) first. I guess they picked it up.

Wow!!! It turns out they are quick learners when it comes to good stuff!!! I am still paying 5e for 1/2 kg buckwheat in Monte (true, it's not roasted, we import it from Slovenia); for comparison, 1kg of best veal meat is 6 euros, best farmers cheese is 4 or 5 (euros.)

Kefir is now massively produced in the west.

We have it too, but only 1 brand, also from Slovenia (i think it's 0.70 euro for small cup)

Borodinsky still remains a dream that haven't crossed the ocean yet. I do not take into account weak attempts to produce it locally and sell in Russian stores.

Yes. :( We have 5 types that sell as "Russian bread", shape is the same (кирпич), but color and taste have nothing to do with the original  :snivel:

Any professional bakers reading that?  ;D

Volshe sides with Fashionista's heartfelt plea, while making BIG puppy eyes  :snivel:
[/quote]
Douglas Adams

Offline cdnexpat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
To come back to the OP, I must say that during my first visit in Pete, 10 years ago, I went to a Mc D. I wanted some ketchup, but I was told it would be extra. I was just learning at that time, about the FSU. People told me that if ketchup was free, like in the west, customers would take it all, and resell it.
I assume it is the same about coffee in hotel rooms. I always expect coffee machines in the rooms, but always carry coffee with me. I just can't stand waiting for the Mrs to be ready, to go downstairs and have my first coffee.

But the idea of cooking sausages on an iron is just a blast! :party0031:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
To come back to the OP, I must say that during my first visit in Pete, 10 years ago, I went to a Mc D. I wanted some ketchup, but I was told it would be extra. I was just learning at that time, about the FSU. People told me that if ketchup was free, like in the west, customers would take it all, and resell it.
I assume it is the same about coffee in hotel rooms. I always expect coffee machines in the rooms, but always carry coffee with me. I just can't stand waiting for the Mrs to be ready, to go downstairs and have my first coffee.

But the idea of cooking sausages on an iron is just a blast! :party0031:

Think it was my better half's second visit to UK in 2004, I was working in Maidstone, Kent and we walked around the town, an early summers evening as we watched the cafes and restaurants put out the outside cutlery on the tables etc, and I could see the gears revolving in her head. Finally she said it...

"We could steal those....."

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
Given the type of sossige that euro landers eat I will perhaps stick to boiling,  but bacon on a bedroom based griddle might work nicely!

I might be wrong but my impression is that Cyrillicland land folks seem less likely to see anything not screwed down as an opportunity for some diy socialism than might have been the case a decade or so ago.  Perhaps not the case with Ukrainians though given the different situation there.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »
Given the type of sossige that euro landers eat I will perhaps stick to boiling,  but bacon on a bedroom based griddle might work nicely!

I had this on a Czech place in Chelyabinsk, it looks like an infection but I can promise you it was lovely! Place is called Koza, or Goat I think.

It's a käsewurst (pork and cheese) German-style sausage with a proper British-style skin on it, best of both worlds....

Like I say, it does look a bit like a dose of the clap so be warned....

And another dismembered version...

Offline cdnexpat

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »

Andrew, I am an older and respectable man now, on a diet. Your breakfast menu is tempting, but it is what I eat in a whole day. And I spend 2 hours in the gym!!! :hidechair:

Offline cdnexpat

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »

I had this on a Czech place in Chelyabinsk, it looks like an infection but I can promise you it was lovely! Place is called Koza, or Goat I think.

It's a käsewurst (pork and cheese) German-style sausage with a proper British-style skin on it, best of both worlds....

Like I say, it does look a bit like a dose of the clap so be warned....

And another dismembered version...

This picture belongs to some women only site.