The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Return to Kiev  (Read 27652 times)

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: Return to Kiev
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »
DS, sorry to read this  :duh: Hope it gets (much ) better asap!
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
Yep one of probably the worst weather and time of the year days to travel on :coffeeread:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »
Hope things improve Dogsoldier. Where is your wife from? Kiev or elsewhere in UA ?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 03:30:53 AM »
Its the day after, I hope all have made it to  Kiev.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Return to Kiev Day 1
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »
After dropping off the buggy we dashed to security and were pointed to go through the families section. This turned into absolute chaos. There were only two barriers, one was manned and the other automatic. These are the barriers where you scan the boarding pass and pass through. Well Mrs DS went to the unmanned one but it wouldn't work, so she is standing there with baby and two girls in tow, trying to get this machine to work. There is a queue building behind her. People and children, buggies babies milling about. Tempers are fraying. I go over and take her and the children to the manned section, joining the queue there. The whole situation is manic.
When we get to the bloke manning the barrier, he takes the boarding passes, looks at them and says, you can't go through, the flight has left. We argue with him, Mrs DS has tears flowing down her face. He eventually lets them through muttering the flight has left.......
Mrs DS runs to go through security. She has the baby in a baby carrier on her. On going through the detector the alarm goes off. She has left her phone in her pocket.
Now she will have to be physically frisked. She is crying, the numpty doing this asks her why and on being told about the situation, says, why cry about it, the flights already gone.
By now I have left and am trying to find out about the flight. I head for where I remember the information desk to be. I find a new M&S in its place. I call Mrs DS to find out what is happening. She is running trying to find the departure gate. Her speech is quite garbled but I understand she is lost airside.
I resume my search for some information, any information. Ah, I spot a copper, an inspector to boot. I wait as he is talking to an American. After what seems ages the copper extricates himself from the Yank and I pounce on him. He gets the gust of what I am saying and radios to find out the flight status. Departure time has been put back to 1255, we have 15 mins for Mrs DS to find the gate and get on the flight. I call her but get her answerphone.
I keep trying to no avail and am completely in the dark as to her whereabouts.
Then, she calls, she is in her seat on board. Thank bloody Christ.....

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
Glad to hear she got onto her flight. It would have been a little unfortunate if she had missed it.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 02:59:54 AM »
So stressful  :( So glad they still made it!
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 03:02:48 AM »
Hope things improve Dogsoldier. Where is your wife from? Kiev or elsewhere in UA ?
She was born and raised in Kiev.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »
Close shave matey  :coffeeread: now for your tale  :plane:

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 03:03:41 AM »
More on this to follow, it isn't over yet......

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:25 AM »
DS, while we certainly do not agree on your viewpoints on immigration -  I am glad part 1 of the trip got boarded,  :thumbsup: safely

Please be sure to post your perspective of Kiev and feelings of the people about the current situation - if this isn't a taboo subject
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline sparky114

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:54 AM »
DS, while we certainly do not agree on your viewpoints on immigration -  I am glad part 1 of the trip got boarded,  :thumbsup: safely

Please be sure to post your perspective of Kiev and feelings of the people about the current situation - if this isn't a taboo subject

I will tell you what Moby you come up to my (Russian) neck of the woods and talk to people (displaced Ukrainians not Russians) that live in the troubled area then you perspective will be clear from both sides of Ukraine

Mark

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2015, 03:29:23 AM »
 Sparky114
. You make it sound like I don't know anyone who has left Ukraine for Russia... I am WELL aware of their feelings about the risk of being killed by incoming and who is to blame for bringing this on their heads..

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:16 AM »

Moby, do you absolutely have to hijack every single topic on this board?  (:)
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2015, 04:13:52 AM »

Hey, don't disturb him, he's going for the BIG 10.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2015, 04:36:54 AM »

Hey, don't disturb him, he's going for the BIG 10.

Oh, je comprends, pardonne-moi..  :innocent:
Douglas Adams

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »

Congratulations she made it, that truly was a frantic and nerve wracking way to finally get on a plane! 
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »

Congratulations she made it, that truly was a frantic and nerve wracking way to finally get on a plane!

Well done DS, but no one, no one can beat our DME from getting off train to airside in 10 minutes record, and me with a heart issue!

In fact it started earlier at Pavelyevskiy station, with time running out and taxi drivers with no agenda at all telling us it's 2 hrs before next train, lying *snip*s, it was 40 mins, they do seriously take the piss.

Sheer panic all the way though, made it, but you do have to say, the buzz from the adrenaline rush makes it all worth it. Assuming you succeed, if you fail then FSU is not for you lol!!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
Re: Return to Kiev-Day 1
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
Reassured that the family is finally on board I head for the car park. It is past 1300 hrs. I have to make it back home in time for the school run and am only too aware of Operation Stack. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Stack)

It takes about 10 mins by the time I have left the airport and get on the motorway. Travelling a few miles I see fire engines, ambulances and police vehicles on the south bound carriageway. I am passing a multiple crash scene. Traffic is at a standstill on the opposite carriageway and I mutter a few choice expletives at the sight. Knowing the morning I've just experienced it just as well could have happened on this side.
I know further on closer to home the motorway has been shut and all traffic is being directed off the motorway network. It's going to be bedlam on the surrounding A roads. I have a plan.."
I come off 2 junctions earlier and take a back road to the A20. So far, so good.
Not for long, though. A few miles down the road is snarled up. I have no choice and am committed to enduring this torture. For the next 10 miles I am barely able to move out of 1st gear. All my plans are now in disarray as a result of the mornings events. Right now though, I have to get to school on time. I finally spot my opportunity and take an exit, a route I know which takes me onto the back roads,  meandering through the Kentish downs.
I make up some time and just make it to school in time to pick my son up.
Then it's back home and feed the dog before taking her to the dog sitters for 1600 hrs. I pack the dogs things and load the car and set off. The dog sitter lives in a brand new estate the other side of town and the roads haven't been adopted as yet. GPS is hit and miss. In the estate I cannot locate the dog sitters address. It is an estate of one ways and mews and cul de sacs. Before I know it, I am completely disorientated. I call the dog sitter up and explain the situation, she asks, are you in a green car, yes I am, I can see you, I look around and see her waving to me a short distance away. Mission accomplished. Dog delivered. Back home again. As I approach home I have this feeling that I have forgotten something...... Oh no, I haven't taken the dogs food and water bowls. More expletives roll off my tongue. Oops, my 10 yr old son is in the car with me. fortunately he is engrossed with his DS.
I pull up and call the dog sitter. She is fine and will buy some bowls if need be. Ok, now home and finish my last few bits of packing, feed the cat, drop keys at the neighbours and wait for the taxi. Of course, I had better order a taxi to the station so I do so for 1820. Enough time to get to the station for 1905 when our train departs.

Offline Manny

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »
I know the geography of where you are and of "operation stack" and I don't envy you. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2015, 10:47:21 PM »

I do not think it is 'hijacking'.

Let me give you an example ..Did you post tthe same when Markje promises to tell us about Crimea?)))

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:51 PM »
I know the geography of where you are and of "operation stack" and I don't envy you.

I just read your post in the other topic about it, now that i know more of what's going on there, i empathize even more with DS & family... It is indeed force majeure circumstances. Still, being a greatly organized and high-achieving team, they are winning despite the obstacles, respect.  :thumbsup:
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
Re: Return to Kiev -Day 1
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2015, 01:13:12 AM »
We are finally ready. I do last minute checks, passports, cash, etc etc. Check. Good to go. Just awaits the taxi.
I chose the train option to avoid driving again and to avoid the rip off parking charges at the airport which rise exponentially during holiday season. An off peak return to Gatwick was just £24 and £2 for a child.
The taxi arrives and we set off. The driver tells us that the surrounding road network is gridlocked but we know some little country lanes to use to avoid them so getting to station is done with no stress apart from a close shave with a lady SUV Bmw driver who was necking it around a blind corner without a thought.
The train too was in time so we settle into our seats for the first leg of he journey. We have to make two changes as I am avoiding travelling into London and back out again.
The journey to London Gatwick is uneventful and we get there 5 mins before the scheduled time.
We walk to the check in zone and......déjà vu. My heart sinks. There is a large queue. I have checked in online already but need to check in baggage so have to endure waiting in line. After a few minutes I realise something is not right. There are 3 check in desks manned. I recognise some of the agents from the morning, but nothing is happening. I ask around. No one seems to know. I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.this can't be happening again? It is....
About half an hour later there is an announcement. There is a system crash. I hear a collective sigh from the assembled crowd, a mixture of frustration, anger and resigned acceptance. We are at the mercy of the system.
Once again my plans are up the Khyber. We were going to have a bite to eat once airside, now that seems a remote possibility.
Finally, after almost an hour the system starts up and the queue starts to move. This flight consists of a mixed bag. Quite unusual in my experience. In fact, there are very few Ukrainians on the flight, by the looks of it. A lot of Africans, Middle Eastern looking families, Turks, Georgians, Iranians too. A big change from my previous travel.
A fight breaks out between an African and another fellow in the queue. Here is some squaring up, will it break into fisticuffs? One of the blokes girls friend drags him away and gives him what for.
 Well, this happy interlude passes but the queue is moving faster and we finally get our turn and check our bags in. Just one thing I have to ask at the desk.
Wher is our buggy? It has been lost. Will it be on the same flight with us, I ask. I get a shrug in reply. You'll have to wait to hear if it's been located.
So now we have the prospect of lugging a baby around minus a buggy.
But I digress. We proceed to security and without further delay are airside. Still, there is no time to eat, I quickly pick up a few things from duty free and we head for the gate and straight on board.
The seats are ok but there is good legroom so can stretch out.
Finally, at 2340 we push back and are on our way...........

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »
Pheww, glad this time the departure was less adventurous, albeit not entirely uneventful!  ;D Interesting sojourners indeed... What happened to the buggy? Where is it?
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:39 AM »
Yes, the sight of 15 miles of lorries parked on the south bound M20 wasn't one to lift the spirits.

Registration