The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 'Abkhazia' / Georgia  (Read 5214 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: 'Abkhazia' / Georgia
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »
apologies to cdnexpat

We made our way back to the border with some trepidation - bearing in mind the time it took to get through coming

waze - the app I normally use for satnav was run with maps.me and kept sending me messages stating I had found a 'good route' and 'thanking me' ...I assume not too many waze users had been here, before

Maps.me found a tunnel that saved us 20 mins getting through Garga and we saw the dome of the future Football World cup qualifier stadium in the distance - not too far to 'home'....

The expected queue of 2km we saw wasn't there ... We drove up to the frontier barrier, directly.

Our passports were checked and some head scratching was obvious with mine....''Where is your visa'' ...  ???

We explained that I had the 3 day invite and only arrived in the morning and that were told, ''that would be fine'' ...As the lorry behind was tooting his horn in impatience, we were directed through the barrier - but asked to wait where we would not block traffic. My passport was transferred to another guard. SAME QUESTION ... ''Where is your visa'  ???..

I had observed the same guard that let us in and pointed him out - stating that he had explained that going all the way to Sukhumi would not be necessary. I did this in Russian - as SC was panicking that we'd have to go all the way back 120km and stay overnight - with my invite expiring at midnight - 3.5 hours time ...

The guy, though for a whole minute - leafing through my passport and hers - which he had asked for and then said, he colleague had given us incorrect info, but he would let us leave, if we promised to come , again   and broke into a smile.

SC sank in her seat and we drove up to the gates, where a young RU guard waved us through to the main checkpoint.

The queue was 10 cars long and SC went with the dog to the passenger passport control .. I awaited my turn and when called forward, my passport and car docs were checked...it took 10 minutes and the guy eventually asked me if had only left in the morning. I confirmed and I was given a new slip - which meant re-registering in Russia

Then the car was thoroughly checked by another guard and I was able to meet up with SC

Conclusions

My curiosity was rewarded and I would hope that the Georgians will allow us into Georgia - should we try to visit there by boat, from Sochi

Spectacular

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »

My curiosity was rewarded and I would hope that the Georgians will allow us into Georgia - should we try to visit there by boat, from Sochi

Spectacular

How would they know you were there?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »
I do not hide my true id...

Offline Annushka

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
When we bought oranges from Abkhazia in March ..they were so juicy ..made great fresh orange juice.

More to come about eating Abkhazia style !)

msmoby,
You're right. Fruits in Abkhazia juicier than in Turkey.
This year I want to visit this wonderful place. In the "velvet season", in September.
Please, consult me. What is the cost of a guest house or private accommodation with local Aboriginal people. At night, for 1 person. Perhaps, you recommend residential address and telephone numbers.  tiphat

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:41 AM »
Sorry, Annushka, we cannot help..We made a day trip.

HOWEVER..following our trip, friends of SC are going, soon, and they will stay atcleast one night.

After, I will report back.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 12:35:12 AM »
Sorry, Annushka, we cannot help..We made a day trip.

HOWEVER..following our trip, friends of SC are going, soon, and they will stay atcleast one night.

After, I will report back.

Thanks. I want to hear your recommendation. Abkhazia - a country of mountains. Local men are very insidious against Russian women. I'm worried about security. Therefore it is better to go to the places checked. I plan to spend ten days in Abkhazia in early September.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 01:47:48 AM »
Hi Annushka!

I put your question to SC and she did not feel this. She was travelling with a guy and that might have been a factor.

I know of a lady from Volgograd who holidayed in Abkhazia 10 years ago. She travelled with another lady and they delighted in bathing topless and watching for the reaction.

The people there seem from a different age and I felt they were mostly respectful and genuinely pleased to have vistors.

You'd be far more at risk from their driving havits in my opinion ))

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
That's 'you would be far more at risk from their driving habits'...

Registration