The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Opening a biz in Russia  (Read 17010 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Opening a biz in Russia
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
I have never had any problems with any cards in Russia! Though I don't use any UK ones now £ has gone down to much so changed over to $  :laugh:

Yes Im a hypocrite , but the world is full of them. As I always say "If you can't beat them join them" :chuckle:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »

My my, you really are suffering...
FYI..

FYI We have bought 3 new cars in 2 years..  1 x Focus, 1 x ECO Sport and the new model has just been ordered.. So, far - 1 whole day wasted .. on both occasions - I let SC go alone - as I think having the western partner present can be a negative :(

Either your backwater part of Russia doesn't have many new cars or you are making it up like -  UK credit cards working online..

Info for those interested in facts:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%91%D0%B6%D0%BD%D1%8B%D1%85_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82

Cars supplied in the UK have their 'tags' as you leave the showroom - sensible..

Car ins, well, you are correct,

As normal .. I sometimes wonder if you live in Russia - as you perceive what I see as good - Sochi - as bad ..and what needs to improve - 'you' never have that problem ... :chuckle:

The law regarding car finance is simple, if you have a finance on the car, then you are obliged to carry FC insurance.
No finance, no problem, you can use only TP, but, if you have an accident which is your fault, then A, hope that the repairs to the other party come out below the max, and B, pay for your own cars repairs, simples.

Sighs .. we have comprehensive insurance - whether on finance or not .. SC got hit by a driver and the first question the Policeman asked was - did she have a webcam - she said not and was told ' it is your fault'..

Smart girl that she is - she only produced the webcam footage after it had backed up to the net and no-one could delete it / tamper with it ... Funny - then it was t'other guys fault... I think he knew the policeman.

Cannot understand your problem with paying for a flight on the Aeroflot website with a UK card, it always works for me...

May be before May 2015 and may be it is resolved, now ..  You need to read ex-pat forums to see you are in a minority of one..

IF I am in Russia and book a flight using Skyscanner / kayak and use a western agent - it works ..the issue is Russian firms in Russia using their 'new' system ..

It's the same for Utair/ S7 ... buying a microwave from mvideo, 'paying' - well trying to pay for electricity  - online   - using UK bank cards - I suspect most western ones - just do not work with the Russian card clearing system ..   Same for 'wallet' systems like webmoney, yandex money..

As this isn't the first time I've raised it and I deal with institutions that want westerners to pre-pay for services in Russia and have to use WESTERN card clearing systems to allow payments for tickets, etc in Russia..I can only wonder at only Gypo claiming he has 'no issue'' ..I guess Ste and I are 'making it all up' :))

I mean - gosh - we just happen to earn a crust working in various forms of IT and travel frequently - often with Russia... We 'don't' have Russian partners and 'don't' send money to Russia' from the UK and 'don't ' try to pay services in Russia using our UK bank cards  :coffeeread:

With regards to problems doing business in Russia, agree, it can be problematic, depending upon the type of business, but I have 2 companies currently operating in Ru, and do not suffer any of the problems that you have alluded to...

I haven't alluded - they were factual - over 15 years of sending stuff to / from Russia - mainly to / from the UK, Cyprus and China

Here's a little test for you..Try ordering something from aliexpress in China - send one item to the UK and the other to Russia

Then try to send a parcel - fast - using a courier to Russia from the UK and - say Cyprus.

DHL in the UK will not send a parcel to an individuals address in Russia and one can experience considerable customs delays.. Fedex stopped shipping parcels to Russia in 2009 - even before this customs stipulation - as packages kept being returned

I started sending stuff via Cyprus and all the issues stopped- this was long before 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25878869

Russia needs a good Thatcherite revolution and loads of dead weights in offices being replaced with streamlined IT systems

Now IF one is selling a service - not goods - these things don't matter... I'm not Bernie Ecclestone / Putin and can't get Mercedes Engines from Northamptonshire and through Russian customs in six hours... the irony being DHL is an F1 sponsor

That's what is so annoying ...when needs must... things can happen

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline sparky114

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
3 weeks ago wife brought a new fridge freezer from M VIDEO with her natwest card no problem...just saying :coffeeread:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »

My my, you really are suffering...
FYI..

FYI We have bought 3 new cars in 2 years..  1 x Focus, 1 x ECO Sport and the new model has just been ordered.. So, far - 1 whole day wasted .. on both occasions - I let SC go alone - as I think having the western partner present can be a negative :(

Either your backwater part of Russia doesn't have many new cars or you are making it up like -  UK credit cards working online..

Info for those interested in facts:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%91%D0%B6%D0%BD%D1%8B%D1%85_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82

Cars supplied in the UK have their 'tags' as you leave the showroom - sensible..

Car ins, well, you are correct,

As normal .. I sometimes wonder if you live in Russia - as you perceive what I see as good - Sochi - as bad ..and what needs to improve - 'you' never have that problem ... :chuckle:

The law regarding car finance is simple, if you have a finance on the car, then you are obliged to carry FC insurance.
No finance, no problem, you can use only TP, but, if you have an accident which is your fault, then A, hope that the repairs to the other party come out below the max, and B, pay for your own cars repairs, simples.

Sighs .. we have comprehensive insurance - whether on finance or not .. SC got hit by a driver and the first question the Policeman asked was - did she have a webcam - she said not and was told ' it is your fault'..

Smart girl that she is - she only produced the webcam footage after it had backed up to the net and no-one could delete it / tamper with it ... Funny - then it was t'other guys fault... I think he knew the policeman.

Cannot understand your problem with paying for a flight on the Aeroflot website with a UK card, it always works for me...

May be before May 2015 and may be it is resolved, now ..  You need to read ex-pat forums to see you are in a minority of one..

IF I am in Russia and book a flight using Skyscanner / kayak and use a western agent - it works ..the issue is Russian firms in Russia using their 'new' system ..

It's the same for Utair/ S7 ... buying a microwave from mvideo, 'paying' - well trying to pay for electricity  - online   - using UK bank cards - I suspect most western ones - just do not work with the Russian card clearing system ..   Same for 'wallet' systems like webmoney, yandex money..

As this isn't the first time I've raised it and I deal with institutions that want westerners to pre-pay for services in Russia and have to use WESTERN card clearing systems to allow payments for tickets, etc in Russia..I can only wonder at only Gypo claiming he has 'no issue'' ..I guess Ste and I are 'making it all up' :))

I mean - gosh - we just happen to earn a crust working in various forms of IT and travel frequently - often with Russia... We 'don't' have Russian partners and 'don't' send money to Russia' from the UK and 'don't ' try to pay services in Russia using our UK bank cards  :coffeeread:

With regards to problems doing business in Russia, agree, it can be problematic, depending upon the type of business, but I have 2 companies currently operating in Ru, and do not suffer any of the problems that you have alluded to...

I haven't alluded - they were factual - over 15 years of sending stuff to / from Russia - mainly to / from the UK, Cyprus and China

Here's a little test for you..Try ordering something from aliexpress in China - send one item to the UK and the other to Russia

Then try to send a parcel - fast - using a courier to Russia from the UK and - say Cyprus.

DHL in the UK will not send a parcel to an individuals address in Russia and one can experience considerable customs delays.. Fedex stopped shipping parcels to Russia in 2009 - even before this customs stipulation - as packages kept being returned

I started sending stuff via Cyprus and all the issues stopped- this was long before 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25878869

Russia needs a good Thatcherite revolution and loads of dead weights in offices being replaced with streamlined IT systems

Now IF one is selling a service - not goods - these things don't matter... I'm not Bernie Ecclestone / Putin and can't get Mercedes Engines from Northamptonshire and through Russian customs in six hours... the irony being DHL is an F1 sponsor

That's what is so annoying ...when needs must... things can happen
So SK is buying her 3rd new car..... :ROFL: Btw, what's she after this time that she needs to order it, as the majority of cars can be bought "Off the shelf" so to say...
I know about the Russian centralises payment system, its all about keeping Russian data within the Russian borders and not letting it be held in Say the US as in the past...
Now, which ex-pat forum would you be meaning??
FYI, when I send/have sent parcels to RU, I always use RM INT signed for, never a prob as yet, and that's only about 15yrs experience, so I may be wrong... :ROFL:
Apart from the Russian customs and DHL/similar services, the rest of your comments are utter crap....
You live a few months a year in Russia then profess that you know everything about the place..
I get the impression that all you are trying to do with everything that you write, is to make Russia look bad, when in reality, its rough, indeed very rough in some things, but never anywhere near as bad as what you write... :coffeeread:
Anyway, you're just a waste of space/time/effort...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2016, 12:47:54 AM »
3 weeks ago wife brought a new fridge freezer from M VIDEO with her natwest card no problem...just saying :coffeeread:

Enough said..
You're mate Moby won't believe you though... :'(
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline SuperPanda

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
Just to chime in on the UK credit cards and rejection in Russia, I have purchased things from Apple and Ozon online in Russia as well as physical instore purchases using my Adam & Co and HSBC cards without issue. I had an issue with Aeroflot but that was issuer blocked not Aeroflot blocked.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 04:44:40 AM »
Hey, moby, you really lucked out with this one didn't you!

Maybe she will let you keep one of her old cars in the future?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
SP

The issue with UK cards lasted from May 2015 to sometime in Aug '16

I have purchased from m-video and topped up a 'wallet' system - like paypal that previously worked - stopped working - and now works again

I have the letters from the banks explaining why ... but Gypo - 'knows better'

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
SP

I have purchased from m-video and topped up a 'wallet' system - like paypal that previously worked - stopped working - and now works again

Gypo has enough money in his accounts, no need to scrape the barrel..
Gypo also lives in RU 24/7/365, and like others in the similar position, has never experienced any problems which you have highlighted..
Maybe you should post your Bank letters on here for us to see..
Btw, Gypo bought 2 dresses for Lady Gypo from kupri-vip.ru over the internet at the weekend, and payment was made on a UK visa... kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

SP

I'm v.happy for you - but what has that got to do with this thread.. I use wallets as an extra layer of protection - to create a virtual card that only allows a limit that a set for a transaction - no change of a duplicate charge down the line ...

Gypo also lives in RU 24/7/365, and like others in the similar position, has never experienced any problems which you have highlighted..

I lived just under half the year in Russia in 2015 and my Bank's explanations - plus explanations from the RUSSIAN clearing house made it clear that I was not 'alone' in having issues with UK / CY bank cards .. not 'top up cards'

I tried - but for some reason someone felt the need to protect you from embarrassment...

Btw, Gypo bought 2 dresses for Lady Gypo from kupri-vip.ru over the internet at the weekend, and payment was made on a UK visa... kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg.

Since August 2016 - the 'issue' has been resolved - I have bought stuff online using non RU bank cards.

I tried, when I saw Sparky's message.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »

SP

I'm v.happy for you - but what has that got to do with this thread.. I use wallets as an extra layer of protection - to create a virtual card that only allows a limit that a set for a transaction - no change of a duplicate charge down the line ...

I lived just under half the year in Russia in 2015 and my Bank's explanations - plus explanations from the RUSSIAN clearing house made it clear that I was not 'alone' in having issues with UK / CY bank cards .. not 'top up cards'

I tried - but for some reason someone felt the need to protect you from embarrassment...

Since August 2016 - the 'issue' has been resolved - I have bought stuff online using non RU bank cards.

I tried, when I saw Sparky's message.

The Moby swerve in full flow....   :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

The Moby swerve in full flow....   :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Kindly explain how I'm 'swerving' - do you 'speed read' and/or  omit relevant / awkward parts of my responses ?

Quite happy to have any correspondence verified by Sparky.. I am NOT the only member from the UK who had these issues ...

Offline Manny

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:29 AM »

Yeah, that happened, Mr Pinocchio.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Registration