The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Opening a biz in Russia  (Read 16967 times)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Opening a biz in Russia
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:02 PM »
It is very easy to open a business in Russia. You can open a OO company which is a little like a ltd company. It costs about £200.00 .  You can use this company to live and work in Russia under the Highly skilled individual scheme providing you earn over 1.5 million Rubles per year there are other options. Using that scheme you will auto get a three year work permit for yourself and any family members (Just incase you wanted to take your grandmother with you). I did have a link from the Russian consulate a while back If I can find it I will post it.

The only problem as is always the problem in Russia is paperwork/red tape and the usual. If your married to a Russian and living in Russia you can work at home (Depending on your business) pretty well uninterrupted and needn't waste time making an official business for a few years at least.

What if you do that and pay yourself the 1.5m rbls from one's UK Ltd as a salary, which one could easily afford if one was in my position.

And not really do any work in RU?

This would be just on me, (oops!) nothing to do with my Russian better half who I'm not married to anyway...

And what are the test for 'highly skilled'? I am of course, just wondered what the tests are......
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »
It is very easy to open a business in Russia. You can open a OO company which is a little like a ltd company. It costs about £200.00 .  You can use this company to live and work in Russia under the Highly skilled individual scheme providing you earn over 1.5 million Rubles per year there are other options. Using that scheme you will auto get a three year work permit for yourself and any family members (Just incase you wanted to take your grandmother with you). I did have a link from the Russian consulate a while back If I can find it I will post it.

The only problem as is always the problem in Russia is paperwork/red tape and the usual. If your married to a Russian and living in Russia you can work at home (Depending on your business) pretty well uninterrupted and needn't waste time making an official business for a few years at least.

What if you do that and pay yourself the 1.5m rbls from one's UK Ltd as a salary, which one could easily afford if one was in my position.

This would be just on me, (oops!) nothing to do with my Russian better half who I'm not married to anyway...

And what are the test for 'highly skilled'? I am of course, just wondered what the tests are......

There are no tests for "Highly skilled" I guess you could just be a street cleaner :laugh: you just need to have an income of min 1.5 million roubles and set a company up. Of course you will be taxed on that and have to make quarterly returns.

The best option is to just be a kept husband by your Russian wife:) If you have an income coming from the Uk your laughing anyway especially with the week rubble. You do not need to do anything other than enjoy your time in Russia :8)
I don't think the Russian government is particularly interested in a few foreign  guys living in Russia with their wives .
Of course unless you have been bad mouthing them :laugh:

Expat.ru usually has many guys asking how they can relocate to Russia to live with the wife:) Its getting more and more popular I think.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »

There are no tests for "Highly skilled" I guess you could just be a street cleaner :laugh: you just need to have an income of min 1.5 million roubles and set a company up. Of course you will be taxed on that and have to make quarterly returns.

The best option is to just be a kept husband by your Russian wife:) If you have an income coming from the Uk your laughing anyway especially with the week rubble. You do not need to do anything other than enjoy your time in Russia :8)
I don't think the Russian government is particularly interested in a few foreign  guys living in Russia with their wives .

Expat.ru usually has many guys asking how they can relocate to Russia to live with the wife:) Its getting more and more popular I think.

It's a bit different for me tho - I'm NOT married and I'm just really looking at this as a loophole for visa free travel and if I can get some business - great - I will be looking but it's not the end game for me!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »

It's a bit different for me tho - I'm NOT married and I'm just really looking at this as a loophole for visa free travel and if I can get some business - great - I will be looking but it's not the end game for me!

You can stay in Russia on personal invitations and just return home every three months for a new visa its an inexpensive way to stay just need your other half to make you an invite and that is a very easy process. But it only allows double entry.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »

You can stay in Russia on personal invitations and just return home every three months for a new visa its an inexpensive way to stay just need your other half to make you an invite and that is a very easy process. But it only allows double entry.

But I (possibly) wanna do biz in Moscow and she lives with me in UK and we do know people there but I don't want to trouble them - I want to do this on me not no one else then I can charge it to my business. Any personal interest and I can't - and you cannot cheat the UK taxman nowadays, really - it's impossible. Even got me on using my work mostly Oyster card on Underground in London - used it at weekend, personal use - benefit in kind....

Connected world.....

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »

But I (possibly) wanna do biz in Moscow and she lives with me in UK and we do know people there but I don't want to trouble them - I want to do this on me not no one else then I can charge it to my business. Any personal interest and I can't - and you cannot cheat the UK taxman nowadays, really - it's impossible. Even got me on using my work mostly Oyster card on Underground in London - used it at weekend, personal use - benefit in kind....

Connected world.....

I think you can cheat the UK taxman but it involves you being a member of parliament a big corporation or something like that. It usually helps anyway :ROFL:

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
With my businesses I had to have the place of business inspected to get the license. That of course before the other inspections, fire, health, etc etc etc etc. Don't know how that would work out from an apartment and I think there is something of a zoning law. Perhaps for an internet business it could be done.

New visas are not difficult to get as long as you take your paperwork with you. You can go to Estonia or Romania, Ukraine or other places but with visa fees, transport and living for a week etc, you will put out $1000-$1500 plus each time. It is good if you plan a vacation around it.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 04:37:55 PM »
With my businesses I had to have the place of business inspected to get the license. That of course before the other inspections, fire, health, etc etc etc etc. Don't know how that would work out from an apartment and I think there is something of a zoning law. Perhaps for an internet business it could be done.

New visas are not difficult to get as long as you take your paperwork with you. You can go to Estonia or Romania, Ukraine or other places but with visa fees, transport and living for a week etc, you will put out $1000-$1500 plus each time. It is good if you plan a vacation around it.

Yeah I guessed it wasn't as simple as it sounds - pass on it I think, for such a shit country they do make it ridiculously hard!

Willin' to Stay
Willin' to Pay
UK-ay, UK-ay...

Sorry Neil Young, think that was from Hawks and Doves, American Stars and Bars but that might be the wrong way round....

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
Is there a thread here about opening a biz in Russia?

I know MANY people who have opened businesses in Russia.  The biggest would be my Swedish friends who opened Night Flight back in 1991.  To a man they all have the same advice -

Don't do it unless you can partner with a Russian businessman who understands how the "system" works and possess good relationships with people in authority and in the right government departments.

A foreigner opening a business in Russia without a Russian partner is as helpless as a lamb staked out as wolf bait.

I would say its best to avoid at all costs having a Russian partner, its better to have a good lawyer and run your business with an Iron rod in Russia..

Of course it depends what type of business you plan to open. But even a small business from home you have to be lethal with everyone.
I only just recently issued legal papers against a programmer who failed to deliver what he promised. Probably thought he could get away with things and a slack service because Im a foreigner. But I have a good lawyer from Uzbekistan who wiped the floor with him.

In all my time in Eastern Europe I have never been done out of a $ with anyone or any firm. I once had a Russian partner who I fired. I gave him a work contract and he thought I was Joking with the content of the contract :chuckle:

Much that I love Mother Russia one thing for sure, doing any business in Russia you have to think of every Russian is a crook :(

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 07:18:13 AM »
Hmm,

I read TC's link and wonder ..

In the real world .. Imagine you bought a car and put down over 80 percent taking the rest on subsided credit

You have to go to a dept and wait nearly all day to get registration numbers  - 'tags'

If - after one year - the vehicle has credit outstanding ]you need two different insurance policies - third party - cover for damage to one's own car - is a separate policy and you can't just go online ] the insurance premium is five times more - so we paid it off ...waited for bank to send documentation to be able to get reduced rate ...and waited ..

In the end SC had a 14 hour round trip to Krasnodar - only place in her region that had a branch of said bank - to get the docs

We STILL await a credit for a 'fine' imposed for us not producing the vehicle registration docs that the banks agent in Sochi seemingly 'forgot' to forward ...

Russia is still VERY much a country where everything has to be done by going to an office..lots of red tape

Until those barriers come down I cannot see how Russia can hope to compete in a unprotected market

I am somebody who sees stuff that I could sell outside Russia - and tried - over 15 years ...I hear stories of how folks get monies removed from their accounts - for taxes for which they have never received notification and I simply could not run a biz there WITHOUT a natural speaker.

I'm truly pleased to see it has climbed - but since May 2015 it is nigh on impossible to buy something from Russia using non Russian 'plastic' - due to the Kremlin trying to break the ability of Visa / Mastercard  to 'sanction' users.

This is huge negative retrograde step and there should be a way to recognise a non CIS based payment card that could be registered for online usage.

Example : try yo buy a ticket using  UK bank card in Russia online.... fails ... never checked for funds at UK end... Get a UK ip address and pay from Aeroflot's UK site ...it works ...   Got a phone call in less than two mins from Aeroflot to query the fact that I had tried to use the same card from two different nations - but explained and all was good.

Cannot pay for water / gas / electric online at the best of times - took multiple attempts to register for electric and STILL not operative - but none accept my UK cards online :(

My point ?

In the real world - there is some way to go before I can believe this rating and I REALLY want to

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »
but since May 2015 it is nigh on impossible to buy something from Russia using non Russian 'plastic' - due to the Kremlin trying to break the ability of Visa / Mastercard  to 'sanction' users.

Nonsense. My wifes UK cards work fine in Russia.

Maybe you should try putting some money in or not using tricky pre-paid ones. Knowing you, there will be some highly complex web surrounding you having a visa card. 

And if "The Kremlin" were trying to "break" visa, Sberbank would not issue visa cards.

More propaganda.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Nonsense. My wifes UK cards work fine in Russia.

Proves you don't read ... They { UK based cards ] will - mostly - work FINE, in Russia at a terminal or at a 'bankomat' ...I said online - card holder not present transactions / online still cause issues..

Quote from: Manny link=topic=24515.msg450954#msg450954
Maybe you should try putting some money in or not using tricky pre-paid ones. Knowing you, there will be some highly complex web surrounding you having a visa card. 

Therein we see another example of Manny ' knowing' ..  :chuckle: We are NOT talking pre-pay Mastercards or Visa cards.. Bog std Debit or Credit cards ...

The difference is this 'russiophobe' spends a LOT more time than you do there and I know what I'm talking about ...

Please surprise me and allow your howler to be seen by all - I;m saving this post to show folks who need know you are shy about been proven wrong....and who really IS the ''propangandist''

Quote from: Manny link=topic=24515.msg450954#msg450954
And if "The Kremlin" were trying to "break" visa, Sberbank would not issue visa cards.

More propaganda.

'The Kremlin' introduced it's own card clearing system - including a requiring substantial bond to the Russian Central Bank from Visa and Mastercard to continue to be licenced to operate and it went live in May 2015

It was introduced to counter VISA / Mastercard being able to block Russian cards at the behest of the US govt.

Please advise what is 'propaganda' in this factual piece of info ?

Until recently, many Russians had certain issues using certain Russian bank cards outside the CIS to make online payments - and 'we' still can't use western cards in Crimea

I had to order accommodation last year for Russian friends coming to the UK  - using my UK cards and THIS year they could use them online..

I am involved in project to buy PokéCoins in Russia - as initially they were not available to buy using Russian plastic - for places such as Sochi Autdrome - so you'll excuse me if I have a good 'larf at your 'expertise'

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
All my cards worked pefectly in Russia too, even my private bank one, yes I've got a private bank account, God, don't go on about it.....

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
All my cards worked pefectly in Russia too, even my private bank one, yes I've got a private bank account, God, don't go on about it.....

Actually reread Mobes comment, mine/ours don't work online either, she wanted some dress from this Russian fashion shop and wasn't accepted so we have to go through this rigmarole of getting her mum to buy it online and reimburse.

That was a pukka UK debit/credit card, tried both.

I wanted to buy something online from Apple RU and I couldn't either.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »

Actually reread Mobes comment, mine/ours don't work online either, she wanted some dress from this Russian fashion shop and wasn't accepted so we have to go through this rigmarole of getting her mum to buy it online and reimburse.

That was a pukka UK debit/credit card, tried both.

I wanted to buy something online from Apple RU and I couldn't either.

Just spoke with Mrs Ste, she never got any to work at all.

Personally I wouldn't even risk it though I wanted that Apple thing so bad!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
Thank you, Ste

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
I have no problems with my UK/Foreign cards in Ru, whether its paying for a meal, food etc, services, car ins/service, or buying something on the internet..
Never have over the last 15yrs or so...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
I have records to prove that pre May 2015 I could buy stuff online from the likes of Mvideo.ru using my UK cards - even a pre-pay Mastercard I use for travel and SC has one, too - quicker - and cheaper than transferring money from the UK

May 2015 - it all 'broke' - exactly the time the new card payment system went live...

I wonder if Manny will admit he was mistaken and no 'propaganda' was involved on my part ;)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
I have no problems with my UK/Foreign cards in Ru, whether its paying for a meal, food etc, services, car ins/service, or buying something on the internet..

Gypo,

If you need to talk with the person responsible for selling F1 tickets to foreigners or the guy in charge of hospitality for the 2018 FIFA world cup - I am sure he can put you straight

Because of the issues I mentioned they've had to use WESTERN card clearing facilities for Western cards ... hence my UK card successfully working to pay Aeroflot flights within Russia - only if using a UK IP address

Perhaps I can get a comment from TSB, Barclays, Lloyds and Natwest - all with whom I enjoy / enjoyed banking arrangements who will confirm the issues they've had with UK bank card holder not present / online transactions in Russia

Gypo - as of August 2016 - I KNOW my info to be bang on ...

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »

Sometimes the contactless fails here in Copenhagen with my UK card, really razzes me off cos I have to stick my card in the machine, usually an Ingenico IPP350 PED (Pin Entry Device) and put 9876 in, which is my PIN code. I'm in IT payments security BTW.

Also, if you press the bottom right and bottom left buttons at the same time, you can get into the IPP350's config menu, the password is 1985, try it!

If you do it at McD's because of the way they are set up, all the PED's reboot when you do it, causes havoc!!

You ain't seen me, right?

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Hmm,

I read TC's link and wonder ..

In the real world .. Imagine you bought a car and put down over 80 percent taking the rest on subsided credit

You have to go to a dept and wait nearly all day to get registration numbers  - 'tags'

If - after one year - the vehicle has credit outstanding ]you need two different insurance policies - third party - cover for damage to one's own car - is a separate policy and you can't just go online ] the insurance premium is five times more - so we paid it off ...waited for bank to send documentation to be able to get reduced rate ...and waited ..

In the end SC had a 14 hour round trip to Krasnodar - only place in her region that had a branch of said bank - to get the docs

We STILL await a credit for a 'fine' imposed for us not producing the vehicle registration docs that the banks agent in Sochi seemingly 'forgot' to forward ...

Russia is still VERY much a country where everything has to be done by going to an office..lots of red tape

Until those barriers come down I cannot see how Russia can hope to compete in a unprotected market

I am somebody who sees stuff that I could sell outside Russia - and tried - over 15 years ...I hear stories of how folks get monies removed from their accounts - for taxes for which they have never received notification and I simply could not run a biz there WITHOUT a natural speaker.

I'm truly pleased to see it has climbed - but since May 2015 it is nigh on impossible to buy something from Russia using non Russian 'plastic' - due to the Kremlin trying to break the ability of Visa / Mastercard  to 'sanction' users.

This is huge negative retrograde step and there should be a way to recognise a non CIS based payment card that could be registered for online usage.

Example : try yo buy a ticket using  UK bank card in Russia online.... fails ... never checked for funds at UK end... Get a UK ip address and pay from Aeroflot's UK site ...it works ...   Got a phone call in less than two mins from Aeroflot to query the fact that I had tried to use the same card from two different nations - but explained and all was good.

Cannot pay for water / gas / electric online at the best of times - took multiple attempts to register for electric and STILL not operative - but none accept my UK cards online :(

My point ?

In the real world - there is some way to go before I can believe this rating and I REALLY want to

My my, you really are suffering...
FYI..
Registration or car and receiving no plates takes no more than 1/2 day only when there is a very long Q., Btw, I have bought and registered 4 NEW cars in Ru over the last 8 years, and its getting easier every time with now being able to make appointments on the net, or having the Supplier do the registration for you, which is usually a free service..
Car ins, well, you are correct, 2 types of insurance, TP, which only covers anyone who your car hits and you are to blame, and also up to a limit of 150,000r, (So don't hit my merc), and FC which covers both parties, but again only up to a varying max, mine is for 6mill.
The law regarding car finance is simple, if you have a finance on the car, then you are obliged to carry FC insurance.
No finance, no problem, you can use only TP, but, if you have an accident which is your fault, then A, hope that the repairs to the other party come out below the max, and B, pay for your own cars repairs, simples.
Cannot understand your problem with paying for a flight on the Aeroflot website with a UK card, it always works for me...
With regards to problems doing business in Russia, agree, it can be problematic, depending upon the type of business, but I have 2 companies currently operating in Ru, and do not suffer any of the problems that you have alluded to...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »

Sometimes the contactless fails here in Copenhagen with my UK card, really razzes me off cos I have to stick my card in the machine, usually an Ingenico IPP350 PED (Pin Entry Device) and put 9876 in, which is my PIN code. I'm in IT payments security BTW.

Also, if you press the bottom right and bottom left buttons at the same time, you can get into the IPP350's config menu, the password is 1985, try it!

If you do it at McD's because of the way they are set up, all the PED's reboot when you do it, causes havoc!!

Don't want that 1 bit...
Maybe will try your suggestion, but only if McD's is overflowing.... :ROFL:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Don't want that 1 bit...

This is what usually happens in a restaurant;

1. Eat

2. Ask for bill.

3. They bring with Ingenico iPP350

4. I say to waitress, Oooh, Ingenico iPP350 PED, that's 'Pin Entry Device'...

5. Mrs Ste says 'Ste, no one gives a shit'......

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »

Don't want that 1 bit...

This is what usually happens in a restaurant;

1. Eat

2. Ask for bill.

3. They bring with Ingenico iPP350

4. I say to waitress, Oooh, Ingenico iPP350 PED, that's 'Pin Entry Device'...

5. Mrs Ste says 'Ste, no one gives a shit'......

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Just be happy that they know how to use this modern technology, and DON'T forget yer PIN No... :'(

Registration