The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.  (Read 128793 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:21 AM »
[
Forget about being Jehovah's Witnesses.You start new exciting life.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness. I started forgetting about them 20 years ago. In 1995 I started studying their beliefs, teachings and history from an outside point of view. When it was discovered I had left the group an effort was made to bring me back, which I resisted. Eventually I was "disfellowshipped" (excommunicated-shunned) as an "apostate." An apostate is considered by Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) as a member who rejects their teachings and hence Jehovah (God) himself. My beliefs now are more in accord with traditional Christianity. JW beliefs are generally the opposite of traditional Christianity.

The only factor Jehovah's Witnesses are to me is that much of my family are JWs. Lets just say strong family ties are not in the mix. JWs can only be close to other JWs and no one else and I am considered no one else. My JW mother has refused to reject me though. For a while pressure was put on her by her congregation to do so. But things have settle some since as the congregation learned that I have helped her in emergency situations. She is in poor health, weak and is not expected to live long. So I watch over her. When I leave in November a young woman from her congregation will take over. I do not expect to come back. My mother does not want me to attend her funeral because if I did many of the JWs would not. So I will say my farewells and that will be that. So I'll go to Georgia and check out some other countries too. I know it is an odd thing to do but I am an oddball so it might work.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 03:50:53 AM »

Thanks Don, Sparky, Orchid and B.B. !

I'll be leaving in few hours for Iowa. A friend there wants to buy some of my things. I'm trying get rid of my stuff. I am trying to get all worldly possessions down to something that would fit into a broom closet. I'm in that simplify-my-life, less-is-more, don't-let-your-possessions-own-you mode.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 04:58:30 AM »
As one who has travelled that road can I suggest an alternate option.
Rather than get rid of everything put it into storage for a while.
That's what I did. My whole house went into storage for about six years. When I had settled and was reasonably sure of the future I went back and took the stuff that time told me I wanted to keep with me. The rest I disposed of.

I ended up with 3 pallets of stuff, mostly my books. Cost to ship it to me was about $1500 but I overpaid.

If things had not worked out, as usually they don't for most émigrés, then I could've come back, gotten a new house and unpacked my old stuff. As it was the perspective of time informed my choices about what I'd retain.

I still travel light, all my essentials can be carried, as they were 17 years ago, by car. The rest would still travel on 3 or 4 pallets behind me.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
As one who has travelled that road can I suggest an alternate option.
Rather than get rid of everything put it into storage for a while.
That's what I did. My whole house went into storage for about six years. When I had settled and was reasonably sure of the future I went back and took the stuff that time told me I wanted to keep with me. The rest I disposed of.

I ended up with 3 pallets of stuff, mostly my books. Cost to ship it to me was about $1500 but I overpaid.

If things had not worked out, as usually they don't for most émigrés, then I could've come back, gotten a new house and unpacked my old stuff. As it was the perspective of time informed my choices about what I'd retain.

I still travel light, all my essentials can be carried, as they were 17 years ago, by car. The rest would still travel on 3 or 4 pallets behind me.

I've got it down to your level now, 3-4 pallets. But frankly most of that is not anything I really want it keep. The truly valuable things have I would like to store But I just do not know where. If I put them into storage locker with a padlock and it gets broken into? Yikes! I don't know of storage facilities that operate like bank safety deposit boxes. I've thought of keeping it with a friend but that has its problems too. In the old days they would be buried like buried treasure. My goal is to have zero monthly costs here in the US but I might not be able to accomplish that.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »
For storage I was lucky. I had access to a blind room above one of our shops. I moved all my stuff into it and boarded over the doorway.

But anyway, if you are at the place you are at it seems that you couldn't do what I did anyway - there's too little left. ;)

At this point just call a friend and store the residue after you throw out the bulk of what you still have.

For myself, I had beds, HiFi and video equipment, full complement of white goods, my collection of valve radios and radiograms, furniture - everything. I literally emptied my house into that room. If I had needed I could've just emptied out the room and put it into a new home. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »

I got rid of all my furniture except a book case. Even my bed belongs to someone else. My car goes to my daughter.

I am going to literally put what I want to keep in one area of the house. Then make or get some cases and packing crates for long term storage. I'll figure where to store it.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 01:53:34 AM »
Maxx!
Just arrived from Abkhazia! A lot of abandoned houses after the war! All Abkhazia launched !!! You can buy the gift of real estate on the coast of the Black Sea. With subsequent lease!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 01:56:34 AM »
Maxx!
Just arrived from Abkhazia! A lot of abandoned houses after the war! All Abkhazia launched !!! You can buy the gift of real estate on the coast of the Black Sea. With subsequent lease!

'small problem' . 'Abkhazia' is not recognised by any major nation - other than Russia.. hence no investment
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Annushka

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:36 AM »
Maxx!

'small problem' . 'Abkhazia' is not recognised by any major nation - other than Russia.. hence no investment

Yes you are right! You can make a marriage! Abkhazia loves RUSSIA !!!

Offline Annushka

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 02:02:56 AM »
Maxx!

Yes you are right! You can make a marriage! Abkhazia loves RUSSIA !!!

ФИКТИВНЫЙ БРАК!!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 03:28:16 AM »

Last night I bought a very select portion of Chinese food. Along with it came a fortune cooking saying, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built." I opened the mailbox today and in it was an envelope with my 52 page passport. I got one of the double page ones as I figure I'll be doing a lot traveling. I'm about to order my tickets. I'll be leaving in 10 weeks. More and more things are  looking like reality.

I am curious how did they order the extra pages?

Were they lettered and or only numbered?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »
[
Forget about being Jehovah's Witnesses.You start new exciting life.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness. I started forgetting about them 20 years ago. In 1995 I started studying their beliefs, teachings and history from an outside point of view. When it was discovered I had left the group an effort was made to bring me back, which I resisted. Eventually I was "disfellowshipped" (excommunicated-shunned) as an "apostate." An apostate is considered by Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) as a member who rejects their teachings and hence Jehovah (God) himself. My beliefs now are more in accord with traditional Christianity. JW beliefs are generally the opposite of traditional Christianity.

The only factor Jehovah's Witnesses are to me is that much of my family are JWs. Lets just say strong family ties are not in the mix. JWs can only be close to other JWs and no one else and I am considered no one else. My JW mother has refused to reject me though. For a while pressure was put on her by her congregation to do so. But things have settle some since as the congregation learned that I have helped her in emergency situations. She is in poor health, weak and is not expected to live long. So I watch over her. When I leave in November a young woman from her congregation will take over. I do not expect to come back. My mother does not want me to attend her funeral because if I did many of the JWs would not. So I will say my farewells and that will be that. So I'll go to Georgia and check out some other countries too. I know it is an odd thing to do but I am an oddball so it might work.

This is some pretty punchy stuff! It's so sad that 'faith' can separate human beings for no good cause other than religious insecurity. You seem to be at peace with that one but I couldn't even imagine saying the final goodbye to my mother and not attending her funeral. I'm selfish that way and if the hovis biscuits boycotted it because of my attendance, then it speaks volumes about the type of people they are. I'd be there though.....

On a cheerier note, good luck with the move! I think its refreshing to hear about someone willing to seek life improvement and step out the comfort zone. It's in our DNA to play it safe and moan about not having the excitement. You sound like  a man who knows what he wants and is looking at an opportunity rather than a problem.

And I'm with you on storage, I've never been a hoarder. I have regular purges at home whereas my other half keeps stuff in the extremely unlikely event of needing it later in life. I prefer to make a call, keep whats important and if I really need something, go buy it. Chances are if its electrical, then the one you kept in storage will be redundant in a few years anyway!!

All the best and keep posting.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 03:52:06 AM »

Last night I bought a very select portion of Chinese food. Along with it came a fortune cooking saying, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built." I opened the mailbox today and in it was an envelope with my 52 page passport. I got one of the double page ones as I figure I'll be doing a lot traveling. I'm about to order my tickets. I'll be leaving in 10 weeks. More and more things are  looking like reality.

I am curious how did they order the extra pages?

Were they lettered and or only numbered?
There are 2 ways you can do it Av. First, request it with your new passport (not sure if it's on the application form), or simply go to your relevant Embassy should you be out of country and ask them for it.

For example, I travelled quite a bit when I first moved to Russia, and ran out of pages to be stamped. I called the American Embassy here in Moscow and asked them what I could do to take care of the situation and they told me just to come down and give them my existing passport and they would add a book of new pages to it.

I'm not sure if it was free or not, but I think it was. It is that easy, and took about 15 minutes once I was there.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 04:03:25 AM »
Maxx,

What I did was have a garage sale a few weeks before I left. Sold what I could and what I couldn't sell, I basically gave away. Wasn't really what I had planned, just worked out that way. Most of the furniture I had I gave to people who needed it, or had empty space in their house. Had I known, I would have just as soon sold the furniture too (I had a new king size bed, very nice refinished antique tables, and some other nice things).

My plan was if I couldn't establish myself in a year, I would return to the States and recoup everything. My valuables I put in a safe deposit box.

I get the feeling you're not coming back except to visit once you start to understand the reality of living over here, and anything without any "real" value (sentimental or otherwise) won't matter in the least; as was the case with me. Good luck.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
Hi allwallet

I'm on the road. I sold more of my stuff to a friend. I left my Macbook Air at home so I'm using a cheap pad to type this. So I'll keep this brief.

On the passport application form on the front page in the upper left corner there are a few boxes to check off. One was for a passport card and the other for a double page (52) passport. The passport card is a plastic card you keep in your wallet in a protective paper type sleeve. The card has a RFID chip which is recommended to keep in the sleeve. The card cost $30. It is good for land crossings into Mexico and Canada. I see it as an additional form of ID. The double page passport has no additional cost however they don't guarantee they will give it to you.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
I forgot to warn you! You will have a lot of "romantic dinner"! In Georgia, the problem with electricity. Stock up on candles.  :-X :-*

Offline Maxx

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

I just did it.  I booked my flight.

I leave Minneapolis Saint Paul airport Thanksgiving Day November 26th at 7:00 AM.
Sun Country flight 243 to JFK arriving at 10:35 AM.
With a 1 hour 20 minute layover.
I will then will board Azerbaijani flight 102 to Baku AZ arriving at GYD - 07:25 AM.

A little more than a 10 hour flight.
Then another layover of 2 hours and 5 minutes.
Then my last flight Azerbaijani flight 223 leaves at 9:30 AM and arrives at TBS, Tbilisi Georgia at 10:40 AM

$548, one way

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »

I just did it.  I booked my flight.

AMAZING value, for so many miles..

Offline Maxx

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »

Yes, it is Moby. I use KAYAK  http://www.kayak.com/flights

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »

Yes, it is Moby. I use KAYAK  http://www.kayak.com/flights

I  use them and skycanner.net  ... Chose my destination country and flexible dates and see what comes up

Offline Manny

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »
$548, one way

Even assuming economy, and the multiple layovers, that is very cheap!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »
$548, one way

Even assuming economy, and the multiple layovers, that is very cheap!

I'm on the phone right now with the booking agent. (On hold) Because it is two different airlines there is supposed to be an additional $45 charge for getting the tickets. They are figuring out how to charge me the additional $45.

Now they are figuring plus or minus 1 week from November 26th. Something about my date being much higher. I have no idea what is happening. Maybe I'm getting the two step bogie on my head  :laugh:

Offline Maxx

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
There was a bit of a rodeo going for a while. Flight got canceled, debit card declined. But the flights were I just confirmed again over the phone. I am supposed to get an e-mail soon which I am supposed to show at the airport check in on an I-phone or something or do a paper printout and show that. I'll do the later as I'm old fashioned and I don't trust these new fangled contraptions. What happened to good o'l plane tickets you get in the mail?      :plane:

Offline Maxx

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »

Got another call from booking.
I leave one half day earlier. 7:35 PM Wednesday the 25th and get to JFK airport at 11:55 PM the 25th. I leave for Baku. Azerbajani at the same times as my original booking, @ 11:55 AM on the 26th. They told me they could not book my flight with the original times because the layover was only 1 hour and 20 minutes. For the extra hours of wait I get $25 off the my cost of the tickets. I am going to be really, really tired when I get there.

The total now is $575

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:29 AM »
Interesting the glowing Blog Post on Nomad Capitalist regarding FSU Georgia...  had read it before but forgot about it - taxes and regs along with social wealfare deductions and Obamascare crushing small businesses yet small biz in FSU Georgia pay only 5% - that can make up for sporadic electricity...

I bought the NC's offshore banking PDF book and ironic read through it again and NO mention of any FSU Georgia banks that will open accounts for Yank passport holders...

I will send him an Email and ask...

Cheers and All the best in your expat journeys!

Maxx shoot me a PM with your private yahoo or gmail account and I will forward a copy - cost me $99.00