The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.  (Read 54995 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »
Kewl, now you are a part of the 30% - and part of the even smaller part who actually use 'em. ;)

You will be in Georgia for Christmas I guess.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »
Kewl, now you are a part of the 30% - and part of the even smaller part who actually use 'em. ;)

You will be in Georgia for Christmas I guess.

Yes, I'm going at about the worst time of year I can go, winter. My family in the States are all Jehovah's Witnesses so Christmas has no meaning for them. So I am not missing anything by being over there. The Christmas holiday was never much for me anyway. My contacts there are expats and locals who are going to help me get some accommodations and smooth out some bumps. I've got a teacher lined up to help me learn some survival Russian and Georgian. I figure I'll spend the winter there perhaps do some checking of Batumi and other areas along the Black sea. My understanding of the climate in Georgia is that it has mild winters like northern Texas (where I have lived) and then along the Black Sea coast more like Southern California. I see palm trees and citrus growing in the youtubes so that tells me something. I should just do some googling and get the low down with climate maps. Anyway whatever it is it beats where I am at now.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
Georgia has a warm, temperate climate. The Likhi mountain range divides the country into western and eastern halves, shielding the eastern part of the country from the influence of the Black Sea, and creating a continental climate. The average temperature in the east in summer is 60 to 75°F (20 to 24°C) and 36 to 39°F (2 to 4°C) in winter. The western part of the country experiences a sub-tropical, maritime climate and in summer the average temperature is 72°F (22°C) and 41°F (5°C) in winter. The western part of the country can get humid and experiences rainfall throughout the year, although it is at its heaviest in the autumn and winter months. In the east rainfall peaks in spring and winter is the driest season; although the mountainous areas receive a lot of rain, generally the amount of rainfall decreases with distance from the coast. The best time to visit Georgia, whether you're travelling to the mountains or the coast, is during summer. The weather is at its sunniest and most pleasant in May, June and September. However, as the climate of the country varies somewhat from region to region it is worth checking out exactly what to expect for your particular destination.

Read more: http://www.wordtravels.com/#ixzz3mINKGpFv

I'll be between the 44E and 45E section in the capital city of Tbilisi.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
cushti!
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Maxx

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
cushti!

I had to google your word to get the meaning.  :laugh:  Thanks!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
Has anyone - other than 2tallbill been there...

Brasscasing went there a couple of times.   All the best to you Maxx, hope it'll be all you wish for.

Online sparky114

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
Good Luck Maxx keep us updated
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
Good luck Maxx!

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Orchid

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »

I opened the mailbox today and in it was an envelope with my 52 page passport. I got one of the double page ones as I figure I'll be doing a lot traveling. I'm about to order my tickets. I'll be leaving in 10 weeks. More and more things are  looking like reality.

Yes, it's time to buy tickets. Today I have bought tickets to Russia and back (Salt Lake City- NY-Amsterdam-Moscow) for $917.
It was right decision to order 52 pages passport. You will be surprised how close is Europe and Middle East.
I think you will get bored in Georgia. It's a good idea to travel.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with getting bored. I was thinking to buy a house in Batumi just to get bored in amazingly good climate.....
I strongly recommend you to send by ship several cars or trucks to Georgia. One you can use, the rest you will sell to the end of the first day.
People in Georgia like good looking vehicle they can drive in mountains and off road.

Offline Orchid

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
Yes, I'm going at about the worst time of year I can go, winter. My family in the States are all Jehovah's Witnesses so Christmas has no meaning for them. So I am not missing anything by being over there. The Christmas holiday was never much for me anyway. My contacts there are expats and locals who are going to help me get some accommodations and smooth out some bumps. I've got a teacher lined up to help me learn some survival Russian and Georgian. I figure I'll spend the winter there perhaps do some checking of Batumi and other areas along the Black sea. My understanding of the climate in Georgia is that it has mild winters like northern Texas (where I have lived) and then along the Black Sea coast more like Southern California. I see palm trees and citrus growing in the youtubes so that tells me something. I should just do some googling and get the low down with climate maps. Anyway whatever it is it beats where I am at now.

They also grow world class black tea. My favorite whole leaves black tea is from Georgia.
Forget about being Jehovah's Witnesses.You start new exciting life.
When you learn how to drink excellent Georgian wine I will come to visit you.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:21 AM »
[
Forget about being Jehovah's Witnesses.You start new exciting life.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness. I started forgetting about them 20 years ago. In 1995 I started studying their beliefs, teachings and history from an outside point of view. When it was discovered I had left the group an effort was made to bring me back, which I resisted. Eventually I was "disfellowshipped" (excommunicated-shunned) as an "apostate." An apostate is considered by Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) as a member who rejects their teachings and hence Jehovah (God) himself. My beliefs now are more in accord with traditional Christianity. JW beliefs are generally the opposite of traditional Christianity.

The only factor Jehovah's Witnesses are to me is that much of my family are JWs. Lets just say strong family ties are not in the mix. JWs can only be close to other JWs and no one else and I am considered no one else. My JW mother has refused to reject me though. For a while pressure was put on her by her congregation to do so. But things have settle some since as the congregation learned that I have helped her in emergency situations. She is in poor health, weak and is not expected to live long. So I watch over her. When I leave in November a young woman from her congregation will take over. I do not expect to come back. My mother does not want me to attend her funeral because if I did many of the JWs would not. So I will say my farewells and that will be that. So I'll go to Georgia and check out some other countries too. I know it is an odd thing to do but I am an oddball so it might work.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 03:50:53 AM »

Thanks Don, Sparky, Orchid and B.B. !

I'll be leaving in few hours for Iowa. A friend there wants to buy some of my things. I'm trying get rid of my stuff. I am trying to get all worldly possessions down to something that would fit into a broom closet. I'm in that simplify-my-life, less-is-more, don't-let-your-possessions-own-you mode.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 04:58:30 AM »
As one who has travelled that road can I suggest an alternate option.
Rather than get rid of everything put it into storage for a while.
That's what I did. My whole house went into storage for about six years. When I had settled and was reasonably sure of the future I went back and took the stuff that time told me I wanted to keep with me. The rest I disposed of.

I ended up with 3 pallets of stuff, mostly my books. Cost to ship it to me was about $1500 but I overpaid.

If things had not worked out, as usually they don't for most émigrés, then I could've come back, gotten a new house and unpacked my old stuff. As it was the perspective of time informed my choices about what I'd retain.

I still travel light, all my essentials can be carried, as they were 17 years ago, by car. The rest would still travel on 3 or 4 pallets behind me.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
As one who has travelled that road can I suggest an alternate option.
Rather than get rid of everything put it into storage for a while.
That's what I did. My whole house went into storage for about six years. When I had settled and was reasonably sure of the future I went back and took the stuff that time told me I wanted to keep with me. The rest I disposed of.

I ended up with 3 pallets of stuff, mostly my books. Cost to ship it to me was about $1500 but I overpaid.

If things had not worked out, as usually they don't for most émigrés, then I could've come back, gotten a new house and unpacked my old stuff. As it was the perspective of time informed my choices about what I'd retain.

I still travel light, all my essentials can be carried, as they were 17 years ago, by car. The rest would still travel on 3 or 4 pallets behind me.

I've got it down to your level now, 3-4 pallets. But frankly most of that is not anything I really want it keep. The truly valuable things have I would like to store But I just do not know where. If I put them into storage locker with a padlock and it gets broken into? Yikes! I don't know of storage facilities that operate like bank safety deposit boxes. I've thought of keeping it with a friend but that has its problems too. In the old days they would be buried like buried treasure. My goal is to have zero monthly costs here in the US but I might not be able to accomplish that.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »
For storage I was lucky. I had access to a blind room above one of our shops. I moved all my stuff into it and boarded over the doorway.

But anyway, if you are at the place you are at it seems that you couldn't do what I did anyway - there's too little left. ;)

At this point just call a friend and store the residue after you throw out the bulk of what you still have.

For myself, I had beds, HiFi and video equipment, full complement of white goods, my collection of valve radios and radiograms, furniture - everything. I literally emptied my house into that room. If I had needed I could've just emptied out the room and put it into a new home. :)