The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.  (Read 128823 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »

About staying here after retirement. I have been observing people that are my peers and how they are doing with that. It is not a pretty site. Government is in and out of their lives constantly. If not the government directly it is institutions such as banks, schools and particulary healthcare that are complicating their lives with government mandated documentation and requests.

Move to Eastern Europe (after retirement) - preferably to newer EU members; lets' pray we all remain in considerably good health (as our health care can't compare to yours), given that condition, i believe it's way better to spend late(r) years over here than there.

That is exactly what I am planning to do. I leave in about 3 months. My Social Security starts in 10 days, $1,711 a month (tax free). With that and my other assets I figure I can live quite comfortably over there. I had a complete exam for my health including an expensive test for my heart (lexi-scan MRI). I check out 100% in the positive.

I am making plans to live in Tbilisi, Georgia. I have some contacts there in the expat community. I want to get aclimated living abroad. From there I am going to explore the region. My list includes, Armenia, Moldova, Albania, Monte Negro and Slovokia. I might make some trips into Romania, Poland and Ukraine. My needs are simple so I figure I can rent small apartments or stay at hostles for short visits.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Maxx's Relocation to Tbilisi, Georgia.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »
Best wishes to you in your move Maxx. My apologies for flying off the handle and using un-gentlemanly language as there are ladies that read this too. It's not like me but I am so utterly infuriated with the way this country is going down the toilet.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »

That is exactly what I am planning to do. I leave in about 3 months. My Social Security starts in 10 days, $1,711 a month (tax free). With that and my other assets I figure I can live quite comfortably over there. I had a complete exam for my health including an expensive test for my heart (lexi-scan MRI). I check out 100% in the positive.

I am making plans to live in Tbilisi, Georgia. I have some contacts there in the expat community. I want to get aclimated living abroad. From there I am going to explore the region. My list includes, Armenia, Moldova, Albania, Monte Negro and Slovokia. I might make some trips into Romania, Poland and Ukraine. My needs are simple so I figure I can rent small apartments or stay at hostles for short visits.

I am so glad you know expat community in Georgia! I know of that plan and there is one thing i didn't want to say, so not to be Debbie Downer: Georgian can be quite closed as a community, before you get to know them (and terribly jealous of their women, like ours.) So, i am glad you already have friends who'll introduce you around. I'll pm you my whereabouts, when you are in Monte, you must come visit, my family will be glad for you to be our guest (more so that in your political views you agree with my father, so you two will have a lot to talk about and i- as a nice Monte 'gal - will shut up and serve food   :laugh:)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »

They are called nursing homes here. 4 years ago when my mother had a stroke she stayed in one for a few weeks. Inspite of the efforts to make them cheerful looking they are very depressing places. It is sad to see all these white haired old people all shriveled up alone and waiting to die. I could see that being me in 20 years or so. Another reason to move abroad and establish a life there and a new family.

It won't happen, you'll have a huge Georgian family! 

3 years ago my mother was told she had six months to a year to live. She lives in a rather nice and roomy 2 bedroom single level townhouse. The family including myself takes turns caring for her. She does not want to wind up in a nursing home. She has instuctions on the refrigerator door to the emergency people to not revive her if her heart finally goes. It is signed by her doctor. Also in the refrigeratior in the freezer section is her papers for her paid for cremation. Her ashes are to be interned at the Fort Snelling cemetary next to my father.   

I am so glad your mom beat what doctors said! It is sometimes difficult, like, i can't go on vacation now because mother is at a health resort and i am looking after dad (he is in good health thanks goodness, but spoiled, can't cook for himself or whatsoever  (:) ) I get up very early to iron his clothes for the day, i bring him breakfast and newspapers to bed etc. - it might seem weird to someone from the west, but we are thought to look like that after our men (father, brothers, husband and sons too). I don't mind, i owe it to him  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Best wishes to you in your move Maxx. My apologies for flying off the handle and using un-gentlemanly language as there are ladies that read this too. It's not like me but I am so utterly infuriated with the way this country is going down the toilet.

Guppy, you are a hot-blooded Hungarian gentleman, we know you and we like you  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline cdnexpat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
Yes, and many of your peers are coming to Canada. And not just for medicare. :)

Offline Boris

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »

About staying here after retirement. I have been observing people that are my peers and how they are doing with that. It is not a pretty site. Government is in and out of their lives constantly. If not the government directly it is institutions such as banks, schools and particulary healthcare that are complicating their lives with government mandated documentation and requests.

Move to Eastern Europe (after retirement) - preferably to newer EU members; lets' pray we all remain in considerably good health (as our health care can't compare to yours), given that condition, i believe it's way better to spend late(r) years over here than there.

I know we have had our differences in the past but I truly wish you the best of luck. You are living the dream, Maxx!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
Yes, and many of your peers are coming to Canada. And not just for medicare. :)

I think everyone thinks that of their respective countries ( i per one do of mine  :duh:), luckily the history mostly proves us wrong  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline Maxx

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »

I know we have had our differences in the past but I truly wish you the best of luck. You are living the dream, Maxx!

Thanks Boris and my apologies for the things I posted that went over the line.

My life is about to start new so my goal is to start it in such a way that makes it both interesting and secure. Few people are positioned to do what I want to do. Most have entanglements. I started shedding those back in 2008. Got rid of the house before the crash. I closed down my business and transfered it to my former client last year. No debts, no expensive car to have a need for insurance on, no dog, no cat, no goldfish, no girlfriend, grown daughters with lives of their own and no Obamacare. Zero financial obligations that need money to service. Whatever money I have or get does not need to be sent home. Everything is liquid and unemcumbered. I've just got a few months of tying up some loose ends and I'm off.   

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
I am making plans to live in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Out of interest, why did you choose that location, Maxx?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
I am making plans to live in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Out of interest, why did you choose that location, Maxx?

Hi Manny. I'm glad you split the thread.  Perhaps this post could be floated to the top?

Back in 2007 I was in Washington DC doing a film on MOBs. One of the women we interviewed, Bella, was an elderly Russian widow of a Georgian artist. Everytime I or my crew would enter her house she insisted we sit at the kitchen table and be served a Georgian meal. It was always quite a spread. It was explained to me that Bella did this to honor her late husband's Georgian tradition of hospitality. Even if the postman set his foot in the door he would get the same treatment. I thought it was amusing.

When I started to investigate on possible places to live I noticed Georgia had the most liberal visa policy of them all. No need for a visa and stay up to 360 days. Then just exit the country and get another 360 days. In fact if you overstay the fine is small and they don't even make you pay it if you leave. You just got to pay it when you enter again. It's like $40. So it seems that this was indicator that Georgia is a hospitable place.

I got on a website of Westerners who teach English to Georgian school children. They work in a Georgian government program called 'TLG Teach and Learn with Georgia'. www.tlg.gov.ge/ The posters there said that Georgian hospitality is very real. They both the men and the women were constantly being invited into peoples homes to get the Bella treatment. One commented that Georgian society is like in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." I liked that family.

Then I found this

www.nomadcapitalist.com/?s=georgia  top article
Oh, they actually like Americans here. I guess being from a country that wants to start a war with Russia will do that for you.

But that does mean anyone can bank, do business or live here. If you're a westerner they'll welcome you with open arms

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »

Guppy, you are a hot-blooded Hungarian gentleman, we know you and we like you  :)
tiphat

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »

Good man :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:18 AM »
Maxx,

I also wish you good luck.

If I was to visit 'Abkhazia' - by entering from the RU border - I could be fined or imprisoned  :chuckle:

I adore Georgian food and wine - but have never BEEN there... I have seen the Georgian Ballet in Cyprus - If any one gets the chance - see it

Georgia is a 4 hour boat ride from Sochi - I hope we may meet up when I'm here

Has anyone - other than 2tallbill been there...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Maxx

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »

Last night I bought a very select portion of Chinese food. Along with it came a fortune cooking saying, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built." I opened the mailbox today and in it was an envelope with my 52 page passport. I got one of the double page ones as I figure I'll be doing a lot traveling. I'm about to order my tickets. I'll be leaving in 10 weeks. More and more things are  looking like reality.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »
Kewl, now you are a part of the 30% - and part of the even smaller part who actually use 'em. ;)

You will be in Georgia for Christmas I guess.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »
Kewl, now you are a part of the 30% - and part of the even smaller part who actually use 'em. ;)

You will be in Georgia for Christmas I guess.

Yes, I'm going at about the worst time of year I can go, winter. My family in the States are all Jehovah's Witnesses so Christmas has no meaning for them. So I am not missing anything by being over there. The Christmas holiday was never much for me anyway. My contacts there are expats and locals who are going to help me get some accommodations and smooth out some bumps. I've got a teacher lined up to help me learn some survival Russian and Georgian. I figure I'll spend the winter there perhaps do some checking of Batumi and other areas along the Black sea. My understanding of the climate in Georgia is that it has mild winters like northern Texas (where I have lived) and then along the Black Sea coast more like Southern California. I see palm trees and citrus growing in the youtubes so that tells me something. I should just do some googling and get the low down with climate maps. Anyway whatever it is it beats where I am at now.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
Georgia has a warm, temperate climate. The Likhi mountain range divides the country into western and eastern halves, shielding the eastern part of the country from the influence of the Black Sea, and creating a continental climate. The average temperature in the east in summer is 60 to 75°F (20 to 24°C) and 36 to 39°F (2 to 4°C) in winter. The western part of the country experiences a sub-tropical, maritime climate and in summer the average temperature is 72°F (22°C) and 41°F (5°C) in winter. The western part of the country can get humid and experiences rainfall throughout the year, although it is at its heaviest in the autumn and winter months. In the east rainfall peaks in spring and winter is the driest season; although the mountainous areas receive a lot of rain, generally the amount of rainfall decreases with distance from the coast. The best time to visit Georgia, whether you're travelling to the mountains or the coast, is during summer. The weather is at its sunniest and most pleasant in May, June and September. However, as the climate of the country varies somewhat from region to region it is worth checking out exactly what to expect for your particular destination.

Read more: http://www.wordtravels.com/#ixzz3mINKGpFv

I'll be between the 44E and 45E section in the capital city of Tbilisi.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
cushti!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
cushti!

I had to google your word to get the meaning.  :laugh:  Thanks!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
Has anyone - other than 2tallbill been there...

Brasscasing went there a couple of times.   All the best to you Maxx, hope it'll be all you wish for.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
Good Luck Maxx keep us updated
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
Good luck Maxx!

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »

I opened the mailbox today and in it was an envelope with my 52 page passport. I got one of the double page ones as I figure I'll be doing a lot traveling. I'm about to order my tickets. I'll be leaving in 10 weeks. More and more things are  looking like reality.

Yes, it's time to buy tickets. Today I have bought tickets to Russia and back (Salt Lake City- NY-Amsterdam-Moscow) for $917.
It was right decision to order 52 pages passport. You will be surprised how close is Europe and Middle East.
I think you will get bored in Georgia. It's a good idea to travel.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with getting bored. I was thinking to buy a house in Batumi just to get bored in amazingly good climate.....
I strongly recommend you to send by ship several cars or trucks to Georgia. One you can use, the rest you will sell to the end of the first day.
People in Georgia like good looking vehicle they can drive in mountains and off road.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
Yes, I'm going at about the worst time of year I can go, winter. My family in the States are all Jehovah's Witnesses so Christmas has no meaning for them. So I am not missing anything by being over there. The Christmas holiday was never much for me anyway. My contacts there are expats and locals who are going to help me get some accommodations and smooth out some bumps. I've got a teacher lined up to help me learn some survival Russian and Georgian. I figure I'll spend the winter there perhaps do some checking of Batumi and other areas along the Black sea. My understanding of the climate in Georgia is that it has mild winters like northern Texas (where I have lived) and then along the Black Sea coast more like Southern California. I see palm trees and citrus growing in the youtubes so that tells me something. I should just do some googling and get the low down with climate maps. Anyway whatever it is it beats where I am at now.

They also grow world class black tea. My favorite whole leaves black tea is from Georgia.
Forget about being Jehovah's Witnesses.You start new exciting life.
When you learn how to drink excellent Georgian wine I will come to visit you.