The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Entering Europe without a Schengen visa  (Read 1179 times)

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
Entering Europe without a Schengen visa
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
I'm just wondering if any of you guys have visited Europe with your wives, without a Schengen visa? I understand this may be possible, so long as you are travelling together.

We're heading back to Belarus next month for a week and plan to spend a few days in Italy on the way home. My wife has a UK spouse visa and many, many Schengen visa's from travelling with her work. Sadly, the last one has now expired and she can't get an appointment with the Italian embassy before we leave.

She's done some reading and I've had a quick look about and it may be possible to enter Italy for 2/3 days holiday before returning to the UK together. Has anyone been brave enough to try this and is it even possible?

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Entering Europe without a Schengen visa
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
I'm just wondering if any of you guys have visited Europe with your wives, without a Schengen visa? I understand this may be possible, so long as you are travelling together.

We're heading back to Belarus next month for a week and plan to spend a few days in Italy on the way home. My wife has a UK spouse visa and many, many Schengen visa's from travelling with her work. Sadly, the last one has now expired and she can't get an appointment with the Italian embassy before we leave.

She's done some reading and I've had a quick look about and it may be possible to enter Italy for 2/3 days holiday before returning to the UK together. Has anyone been brave enough to try this and is it even possible?

Yes it's possible and legal under the Directive (cant remember the actual one) - print it out in every EU language under the sun and the same with your marriage cert.

However, whilst the Border guys might be amenable, the biggest hurdle are the carriers, most will err on the side of caution and not board you, no matter how much you argue as they will be fined, not the Border guys. And if you're flying to BE to IT I'm fairly sure it won't be easy. 

Take a look at http://www.immigrationboards.com - same Q has been asked before there so take a look and ask there if unsure. 

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
Dogsoldier has, he posted about it recently.

Edit, here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=22662.0
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
Thanks guys.

We sent an email to the embassy & the pasta munchers might bump us up the queue? If not, the flights are booked and I'll test out the theory anyway.

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »

Thanks guys.

We sent an email to the embassy & the pasta munchers might bump us up the queue? If not, the flights are booked and I'll test out the theory anyway.

Unless u get a name and a number from UKVI forget it...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »
Thanks guys.

The right of free movement with your family is the directive you are searching for, click link for more info:

https://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria