The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Netflix Documentary Love Me  (Read 3436 times)

Offline miquel westano

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: None Yet
The Netflix Documentary Love Me
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
The Love Me show was an amazing insight into the other side of this process.  Most of those guys were doomed to failure from the start.  They were mostly out of their league, out of their comfort zone, relying on someone to do the work for them, expecting to buy a bride, thinking they were the saviors of poor ignorant women and totally unaware of how to read the interest of the ladies they were meeting.  I have a better chemistry with women I see in grocery store checkout lines than these guys do with their "dates".

The Aussie was a shining example of a man hell bent on being "scammed".  I really don't think he was scammed, but it fits the general definition.  In my opinion he assumed he was buying a woman who somehow owed him, and got what he deserved.  Seller can't sell without buyers and scammers can't scam without willing marks.  All cons work on greed or lust.  Leave the lust at home and the money will go back home with you.

Anyone with Netflix please watch and comment on Love Me and maybe we can get a thread going on it.  There are lots of real world experienced guys here and I would love to hear from them.  I also would love the input of the women who have been involved or know of the dating world to comment on that show.  In fact, I am going to copy and paste this into a thread.  Hopefully I will hear from some vets.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The Netflix Documentary Love Me
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
The Love Me show was an amazing insight into the other side of this process.  Most of those guys were doomed to failure from the start.  They were mostly out of their league, out of their comfort zone, relying on someone to do the work for them, expecting to buy a bride, thinking they were the saviors of poor ignorant women and totally unaware of how to read the interest of the ladies they were meeting.  I have a better chemistry with women I see in grocery store checkout lines than these guys do with their "dates".

The Aussie was a shining example of a man hell bent on being "scammed".  I really don't think he was scammed, but it fits the general definition.  In my opinion he assumed he was buying a woman who somehow owed him, and got what he deserved.  Seller can't sell without buyers and scammers can't scam without willing marks.  All cons work on greed or lust.  Leave the lust at home and the money will go back home with you.

Anyone with Netflix please watch and comment on Love Me and maybe we can get a thread going on it.  There are lots of real world experienced guys here and I would love to hear from them.  I also would love the input of the women who have been involved or know of the dating world to comment on that show.  In fact, I am going to copy and paste this into a thread.  Hopefully I will hear from some vets.

Our very own Donhollio once starred in such an episode :)

Bottom line : Those t.v. documentaries suck. They paint all of the foreign dating with 1 brush, the one with social inept men and pro-daters/con-artist women.

Markje.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline miquel westano

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »

Bottom line : Those t.v. documentaries suck. They paint all of the foreign dating with 1 brush, the one with social inept men and pro-daters/con-artist women.

Markje.

I am sure all TV documentaries are slanted to one side or the other based on the feelings of the producer.  But I never realized how many of the men believe they are owed a woman because they have money or are from somewhere like the USA. 

I am not casting stones either direction.  But, as we say in the hills, no matter how thin you pour a pancake-it still has two sides.

I am now seeing the other side.  At least as shown on TV, which is probably as close as I will ever get. 

Offline Lon

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
  A film like that is only going to show what will be interesting to viewers.  We have no idea how many people got together out of that tour, or how many people have hooked up on Elena's, if any.  The film is only going to show us the controversial moments/people/couples.  It is all pretense of reality.  Remember, the producers are only there to make money.  Nobody is going to watch Barbie and Ken, we want Beauty and the Beast.

The Mrs. and I laughed all the way through it.  That Ukrainian girl with the red platform heels in Texas   :laugh:

Markje.

I am sure all TV documentaries are slanted to one side or the other based on the feelings of the producer.  But I never realized how many of the men believe they are owed a woman because they have money or are from somewhere like the USA. 

I am not casting stones either direction.  But, as we say in the hills, no matter how thin you pour a pancake-it still has two sides.

I am now seeing the other side.  At least as shown on TV, which is probably as close as I will ever get.

Offline Odessarents

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

This was backed and mostly likely paid fore by aforeign affair aka loveme.com as they where the agency focus of this show and the title even use's there name

now they are pushing for another show on there website

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:21 AM »
Just watched it, usual shite......

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »
Think the Aussie guy was actually a Saffer....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline miquel westano

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
  A film like that is only going to show what will be interesting to viewers.  We have no idea how many people got together out of that tour, or how many people have hooked up on Elena's, if any.  The film is only going to show us the controversial moments/people/couples.  It is all pretense of reality.  Remember, the producers are only there to make money.  Nobody is going to watch Barbie and Ken, we want Beauty and the Beast.

The Mrs. and I laughed all the way through it.  That Ukrainian girl with the red platform heels in Texas   :laugh:

Markje.

I have no doubt it is scripted and not true reality.  But I did think it brought to mind the other side.  I am not in any way disparaging the guys who go seeking love, excusing scammers or taking up for AFA or other PPL sites. 

All I meant was it did get me to thinking there are lots of factors besides just evil money grubbing girls taking advantage of innocent and honorable men.

Again, I seem to have came across as judging the men and I was not. 

I am just fascinated by this whole process.  Again for the record, I have been married to the same woman for 35 years, married shortly out of the military and have zero experience with seeking a woman from another country.  I understand that affects my understanding of how it really works.  But still I think I understand relationships and think those guys should be more in tune with the women they are "in love" with.