The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Giving a scarf as a gift?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline TagUrIt898

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Giving a scarf as a gift?
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
I read that it was bad luck to give a scarf as gift to FSU woman.  Is that true?  I wanted a scarf to the sister of the woman I'm visiting as a gift when I arrive.  I do not want to show up emptied handed.  What would be an appropriate gift if not a scarf?  Also I read that a watch is a bad gift too?  Is that true.  Forgive my ignorance, I Google a lot! :laugh:
Tag

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Giving a scarf as a gift?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
Have not heard anything about a scarf bringing bad luck tbh. My wife bought her mother one when we were in Istanbul.  Something small and from your country is usually appreciated.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
I read that it was bad luck to give a scarf as gift to FSU woman.  Is that true?  I wanted a scarf to the sister of the woman I'm visiting as a gift when I arrive.  I do not want to show up emptied handed.  What would be an appropriate gift if not a scarf?  Also I read that a watch is a bad gift too?  Is that true.  Forgive my ignorance, I Google a lot! :laugh:

Scarf no, but a watch is.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
I read that it was bad luck to give a scarf as gift to FSU woman.  Is that true? 

I have given scarves (both the "winter weather" kind and the more decorative kind) to women before with positive results. 

And knives.  That doesn't leap to mind as a gift, I know, but IIRC a guy on "a long forgotten forum" once wanted to give his prospective father in law a Leatherman tool and, as that has a knife attachment, of course Babushka had to cast some anti-stabbing-yourself-accidentally-with-it spell on it first.  :nod:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »

And knives.  That doesn't leap to mind as a gift, I know, but IIRC a guy on "a long forgotten forum" once wanted to give his prospective father in law a Leatherman tool and, as that has a knife attachment, of course Babushka had to cast some anti-stabbing-yourself-accidentally-with-it spell on it first.  :nod:

B/B

Giving the watch to a loved one in Russian Culture can be understood as either terminal sickness or a end-of relationship (signifying: Your time is up!) not the message you want to send to your FSUW lover ;)
OO===[][]===OO

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
I read that it was bad luck to give a scarf as gift to FSU woman.  Is that true? 

I have given scarves (both the "winter weather" kind and the more decorative kind) to women before with positive results. 

B/B

I gave a one of a kind custom knife made by a very well known knife designer/maker to my FIL. He uses it all the time at the family 'dacha' and there were no 'spells' involved during or after he got it.....I think you need to get out of the 'village' for abit "BB" :-X :king: :ROFL:

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 02:38:14 AM »

Do please enlighten this topic to me. Is a watch a "bad" gift? Why? Since when?  :reading:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »

Do please enlighten this topic to me. Is a watch a "bad" gift? Why? Since when?  :reading:

Since I got told obviously. Before I would have bought one.

The reasoning behind it is you run out of time when the watch stops and the relationship ends.
OO===[][]===OO

Registration