The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Need help - Applying for Schengen from Ukraine  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Noypioz

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Need help - Applying for Schengen from Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
There's a lot involved in making a success of this foreign relationships malarkey and a Schengen visa is almost the least of it and getting one pointless unless other ducks are well lined up first.

I understand your point Andrewfi and I cannot agree more. But I wish to emphasise nothing serious at this stage that's why I'm not too concerned yet about bringing her English capabilities up to speed. That will come in later which I will seriously pursue IF she is the right duck  :) I feel bad about saying this but yes, ducks are being lined up. Cheers
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain.

Offline NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Welcome Noypioz, As you have learned here in a short time, some will
help, some not so much. You have the right attitude. There is lots of good information on this forum, do a little digging and lots of reading.
I agree with many, first trip is better off in her city. Get to know her and maybe meet some family or a few friends, lets you see how she is in her world.
Traveling is fun and will show you how she is out of her comfort zone also.
Best of luck :thumbsup:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Noypioz

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
help, some not so much. You have the right attitude. There is lots of good information on this forum, do a little digging and lots of reading.
I agree with many, first trip is better off in her city. Get to know her and maybe meet some family or a few friends, lets you see how she is in her world.

Hi NS1, thanks for your welcome and kind words. I've been away from this forum busy with my stuff and I feel I owe you all kind members an update of what's going on.

Ok, from where I left:- I was arranging travel plans to meet this lady from Kharkov- to meet her for the first time and travel to Western Europe. Hence, this thread on Schengen visa. To give you a background, she stopped attending Uni due to conflict in her hometown, moved to Kharkov and is unemployed. So naturally I had to provide for her passport application. But communication slowly dissipated during around the time she was to receive the money. She explained that she had to move again, this time to a "village near Artemovska". She finally confirmed receiving the money (after my repeated unanswered queries) and also advised a portion was used for moving and other expenses. I have no problems with that knowing I assisted someone in need. But the frequency of communication was now at all-time low; once in 2 weeks and she's blamed poor Internet connection from her friend's house as she didn't have internet. 

I believe she is not a scammer but travel and sight-seeing is not up there in her priority list. Survival and escaping from conflict would probably is. I figured this will drag on and go nowhere and I need to firm up my travel plans soon to avail of early booking discounts. With communication a major issue, I pulled the plug. But of course there is always a contingency plan :-)

During lag time with this Ukrainian woman, I met this wonderful lovely lady from Moscow. She has an economics degree, next to the CFO, simple, smart, level-headed and most of all, has more than adequate English! Not to mention gorgeous (for my taste). Since that first hello, we've been chatting everyday on viber and video skype during weekends.  And of course, I invited her to travel with me to WE to which she said yes. She even offered to repay my expenses before January 2016 which I declined so I can accumulate brownie points :-) She applied to the Embassy of Spain (acting on advise from her work colleagues) for a Schengen visa, which was eventually granted with 6 months validity. I applied and got my Russian visa (funny that they give the exact validity period as what was provided in the tourist visa vouchers/letters). 

So the latest is we're all set: flights, accommodation and other tour activities are all booked! Just waiting patiently for the date, chatting everyday...she calls me "mur mur" and I call her "fresh copek" - she feels she is like one after sauna :-)

Cheers all!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »

Hi NS1, thanks for your welcome and kind words. I've been away from this forum busy with my stuff and I feel I owe you all kind members an update of what's going on.

Ok, from where I left:- I was arranging travel plans to meet this lady from Kharkov- to meet her for the first time and travel to Western Europe. Hence, this thread on Schengen visa. To give you a background, she stopped attending Uni due to conflict in her hometown, moved to Kharkov and is unemployed. So naturally I had to provide for her passport application. But communication slowly dissipated during around the time she was to receive the money. She explained that she had to move again, this time to a "village near Artemovska". She finally confirmed receiving the money (after my repeated unanswered queries) and also advised a portion was used for moving and other expenses. I have no problems with that knowing I assisted someone in need. But the frequency of communication was now at all-time low; once in 2 weeks and she's blamed poor Internet connection from her friend's house as she didn't have internet. 

I believe she is not a scammer but travel and sight-seeing is not up there in her priority list. Survival and escaping from conflict would probably is. I figured this will drag on and go nowhere and I need to firm up my travel plans soon to avail of early booking discounts. With communication a major issue, I pulled the plug. But of course there is always a contingency plan :-)

During lag time with this Ukrainian woman, I met this wonderful lovely lady from Moscow. She has an economics degree, next to the CFO, simple, smart, level-headed and most of all, has more than adequate English! Not to mention gorgeous (for my taste). Since that first hello, we've been chatting everyday on viber and video skype during weekends.  And of course, I invited her to travel with me to WE to which she said yes. She even offered to repay my expenses before January 2016 which I declined so I can accumulate brownie points :-) She applied to the Embassy of Spain (acting on advise from her work colleagues) for a Schengen visa, which was eventually granted with 6 months validity. I applied and got my Russian visa (funny that they give the exact validity period as what was provided in the tourist visa vouchers/letters). 

So the latest is we're all set: flights, accommodation and other tour activities are all booked! Just waiting patiently for the date, chatting everyday...she calls me "mur mur" and I call her "fresh copek" - she feels she is like one after sauna :-)

Cheers all!

Thats a great story! And just as I keep telling guys!! FORGET ABOUT UKRAINE!! and those awful women who for sure will need some of your money for expenses  :ROFL:

Find yourself an educated women with a good job! preferably in Russia:) And who will not be living in your wallet daily!

[/quote]
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2015, 02:49:28 AM »
She even offered to repay my expenses before January 2016 which I declined so I can accumulate brownie points :-)
Could also be, that this was her 'greedy' test, which you passed.

Thats speculation of course, but most RU women are afraid men are 'greedy' and had you accepted she would have paid you, and stopped communicating with you.

Mark.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »
Sorry, I have followed this thread but remained afar. Noy you are setting your self up for a self inflicted wound. You have it seems bounced between 2 Slavic women, Miss Kharkov and now Miss Moscow, in less than six months. Even I am impressed!  :laugh: Various members from differing sides have given very sound advice, in particular Tom and Leslie.

Let me say first a Skype relationship is not a real relationship.

Since you are first meeting in her home country based on your last reply, who knows. I understand Spain and for that matter Greece will readily grant a Schengen visa for a Russian citizen. If she is in larger firm, the firm has some one who facilitates this paper work for visa's. 6 Months is the normal time for a tourist visa, though sometimes they are shorter. I would suggest plan your tête à tête in the latter part of September when the tourists have more or less disappeared and the weather is some what cooler.

My opinion any woman who was honest, from any country, would first expect to meet you on her terms (territory). That is if you were planning to build a long term relationship. In the what it is worth department there are I understand web sites that will link you up with a hottie that you can travel as well as wine and dine, with no long term commitment. The long term expense is low. Say hello and wave goodbye.

Andrew correctly points out the language issue is important LIKE REALLY IMPORTANT! I would suggest get a Russian language CD, on RUA there are plenty of opinions which is best, or go to the local Russian bar and learn some basic Russian. Might help on the long term. Have a bunch of flowers, roses and an odd number when you first meet her.

There are many red flags that this might well become the mother of all :trainwreck:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 03:30:55 AM »

During lag time with this Ukrainian woman, I met this wonderful lovely lady from Moscow. .. Since that first hello, we've been chatting everyday on viber and video skype during weekends.  And of course, I invited her to travel with me to WE to which she said yes. She even offered to repay my expenses before January 2016 which I declined so I can accumulate brownie points :-) She applied to the Embassy of Spain (acting on advise from her work colleagues) for a Schengen visa, which was eventually granted with 6 months validity. I applied and got my Russian visa (funny that they give the exact validity period as what was provided in the tourist visa vouchers/letters). 

Cheers all!

Am I reading between the lines, here, correctly ???

You haven't met her - yet  - in reality ...yet you have planned / booked a trip to Spain, too ..I understand the distances involved and you have hinted this is - hopefully - going to be fun.

I am an 'ol git, compared to you, but it seems quite an 'investment punt'  :chuckle:

Why are you surprised that your allocated visa stay would not reflect your tourist voucher ... ???

as I keep telling guys!! FORGET ABOUT UKRAINE!! and those awful women who for sure will need some of your money for expenses  :ROFL:

Find yourself an educated women with a good job! preferably in Russia:) And who will not be living in your wallet daily!

Steveboy, I have listened to SO MANY Russians say, '' you can't trust Ukrainians'' - long preceding the current civil war and the obvious question as to trusting the lessee of military bases in Crimea - prior to occupation...

I have encountered RU women who expected 'financial assistance' - before meeting -  for day to day living expenses.... it is not confined to any 'border' - as these are currently in dispute ..and as you know ... not a few women from there identify more with Moscow than Kyiv.

For sure, I agree that too many guys exclude former USSR nations requiring a visa - incl RU, BL and the Stans and concentrate on Ukraine

Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.
He really did say that
Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »
Welcome Noypioz:
Just catching up and read your story thus far.  Seems 2 things are going on here. 1) you are seeking a travel companion; 2) if it works out maybe she will be a future soulmate.  Not sure about this as some would say this is putting the cart before the horse!  As to myself and my wife we married around the same time as LeslieD almost 12 years ago now too.  We recently visited the family in Ukraine during the later part of May 2015 as well.

It seems many have given good advice so far.  Many of us made this work long before Skype came into existence.  However most did so by finding a lady we communicated with followed by visiting in her country, getting to know her family and friends before planning visits to foreign places.  All things come in good time.  Likewise some ladies have family in both Ukraine and Russia as does my wife, so which country one visits really has more to do with where your lady is currently living.  As to language we too did this through email with online translation and later her continued English studies in Ukraine and later ESL in Canada.  Now years later she has a Canadian Passport and we can travel many places without needing visas. 

So in conclusion go and enjoy the holiday and if anything comes from it all is good.  If afterwards the lady disappears and you still want to have an FSUW as your soulmate and wife do re-think this process.  Then first find a lady from wherever that you want to consider a life with.  Then go meet her, get to know her in her country and surrounding followed by marriage and you will end up with the rest of your lives to share and vacation together. 

Good luck mate.  Wes.

Offline Noypioz

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »

Could also be, that this was her 'greedy' test, which you passed.

Thats speculation of course, but most RU women are afraid men are 'greedy' and had you accepted she would have paid you, and stopped communicating with you.

Mark.

Could very well be Markje, I agree.  But in our case, I think it has more to do with her keeping pride and dignity intact.

Andrew correctly points out the language issue is important LIKE REALLY IMPORTANT! I would suggest get a Russian language CD, on RUA there are plenty of opinions which is best, or go to the local Russian bar and learn some basic Russian. Might help on the long term. Have a bunch of flowers, roses and an odd number when you first meet her.

There are many red flags that this might well become the mother of all :trainwreck:

I already have a Russian language CD and a 'Russian for Dummies' book but can't find time to sit down and concentrate. We have no problems communicating due to her more than adequate English ability. If she doesn't understand something, she asks me straight away e.g. "Mikey, can you please explain what you mean "sealed, signed and delivered"? She complains that translating Russian into English makes her "mind boil" :-) On some occasions she would turn to online translator to find out the difference between close words e.g. 'differences' / 'differentiate'. But overall we're both happy with our communication.

Thanks for the bunch of flowers tip, I've thought of that. I'll be arriving SVO from DXB at 6.55am and she will pick me up from the airport. I must get to a flower shop first before she sees me :-)     

Trainwreck is too catastrophic and I think I've mitigated the risks. Worst case is we separate as friends.

I am an 'ol git, compared to you, but it seems quite an 'investment punt'  :chuckle:

Why are you surprised that your allocated visa stay would not reflect your tourist voucher ... ???

'Investment punt' is another way of looking at it really. I've been taught to only trade money I am prepared to lose. So whatever the MA, MACD, RSI or whatever the indicator signal is, I can be a contrarian or follow the mob. Needless to say I am prepared to cut loss but so far, the momentum is showing strong signal to buy :-)

I'll be staying in Russia for 7 days and I thought I will be receiving at least 14 days visa validity period...you know, to provide allowance for any unforeseen change of circumstances. It's just strange, that's all.

Welcome Noypioz:
Just catching up and read your story thus far.  Seems 2 things are going on here. 1) you are seeking a travel companion; 2) if it works out maybe she will be a future soulmate.  Not sure about this as some would say this is putting the cart before the horse!  As to myself and my wife we married around the same time as LeslieD almost 12 years ago now too.  We recently visited the family in Ukraine during the later part of May 2015 as well.

It seems many have given good advice so far.  Many of us made this work long before Skype came into existence.  However most did so by finding a lady we communicated with followed by visiting in her country, getting to know her family and friends before planning visits to foreign places.  All things come in good time.  Likewise some ladies have family in both Ukraine and Russia as does my wife, so which country one visits really has more to do with where your lady is currently living.  As to language we too did this through email with online translation and later her continued English studies in Ukraine and later ESL in Canada.  Now years later she has a Canadian Passport and we can travel many places without needing visas. 

So in conclusion go and enjoy the holiday and if anything comes from it all is good.  If afterwards the lady disappears and you still want to have an FSUW as your soulmate and wife do re-think this process.  Then first find a lady from wherever that you want to consider a life with.  Then go meet her, get to know her in her country and surrounding followed by marriage and you will end up with the rest of your lives to share and vacation together. 

Good luck mate.  Wes.

Hi Wes, you are spot on in relation to 1 & 2, thank you. That is why I am investing time and money on this trip.

I welcome all advice and I sincerely appreciate them (thanks all!) except those that deliberately insult one's intelligence just because they've been there and done that and are now living happily ever after. On the side, I enjoyed reading LeslieD and Tag's travel report :-)

It will seem to many that my 'approach' and 'methodology' is a deviation from the norm. Fair enough. But that doesn't mean what worked for them will absolutely work for me or vice versa (I'm not referring to anyone in particular) because every case is different and there are so many variables involved including technology. 

I had expressed my intention to meet her family (mum and brother) early on our conversation but they are working overseas so no opportunity this time. But I will have the chance to visit her Aunt and family with whom she lives with at present.

Worst case as I mentioned is we separate as friends. I'm 43 and she's 33 and we both talked about this and agree that there is definitely chemistry and mutual feelings. And this trip is about confirmation. Which reminds me....we will spend her 34th birthday in Paris and I have yet to organise a surprise Dinner Cruise on the Seine! Damn Aussie dollar dropping again to 0.76!     

Thanks for your good wishes on this trip, Wes. I'll be in Canada from 13 to 22 August and if you're in Winnipeg, it would be awesome to meet.

Cheers all!

Mark Twain.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
Based on your last post I feel perhaps and I hope yes this just might work.

In Moscow take the river cruise. The one in Paris is much more a tourist thing. By all means reach the top of the Eiffel tower preferably latter in the day. Go to Deux Maggots and have an expensive coffee. Than walk down Rue de Seine and have a tartin and espresso at La Palette (perhaps the only place in Paris that still has squat toilets)

Find some funky jazz lounge cafes with lava lamps and comfy sofa's.

Find a bouquinistes with a bizarre subject matter, buy a few to remember the trip.

Go to La Coupole and see which composer you get.

Bear in mind fortune favours the brave.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot