The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Holiday Recipes: Easter, Christmas, Fasting & Lenten  (Read 45778 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Holiday Recipes: Easter, Christmas, Fasting & Lenten
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
Ukrainian CHRISTMAS KUTYA

I sampled this at Christmas this year while in Ukraine, it is an unusual taste,  a little sweet, the Ukrainians love it.

To the Ukrainians Christmas is not Christmas without Kutya, a ritual dish and an integral part of the Holy Night Meal, is served only during the Christmas cycle of holidays which ends with the Feast of Jordan on January 19. Kutia is often the first dish in the traditional twelve-dish Christmas Eve supper (also known as Svyateh Vetchnyat). It is rarely served at other times of the year.

The origin of this dish goes back to days immemorial when the early Ukrainian ancestors first cultivated wheat. A relic of customs practised three thousand years before the Christmas era. This dish should be prepared several days ahead of of time for flavour to develop. It keeps very well in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or so. Kutya is high in nutritional value and should be eaten any time.

2 cups cleaned wheat berries
3-4 quarts water
1 cup cleaned poppy seeds
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1.   Wash wheat in cold water and soak overnight in the 3 to 4 quarts of water.
2.   The next day, bring the water to a boil then simmer for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
3.   The wheat is ready when the kernels burst open and the fluid is thick and creamy.
4.   Chop the poppy seed in a food processor (or coffee grinder) (or you can buy ground poppy seeds in some deli's) and set aside.
5.   Mix honey, sugar and hot water.
6.   Mix the honey mixture, poppy seeds, and chopped nuts and wheat.
7.   More honey can be added to taste.
8.   Keep in refrigerator.
9.   Traditional Ukrainian Cookery.

Слава Україні

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
Holiday Recipes: Easter, Christmas, Fasting & Lenten
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
From our friend Rasputin, here is a link to some delicious "meatless" dishes for the Lenten season:
http://www.pravmir.com/article_237.html

Here is how a great black bean soup might look!

For those who wish to keep the fast during Lent, here are the fasting rules as from the Russian Orthodox Church:
http://www.pravmir.com/article_118.html

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Holiday Recipes: Easter, Christmas, Fasting & Lenten
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
Thanks Mendeleyev! This is a great link. This year, I plan on trying to fast, and will even try to respect the marital fast as well  :saint:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »
Misha, may God bless and protect your family, and each of us, during the time of fasting.  Господи спаси и сохрани!

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
Today is the last day of Maslenitsa (Масленица)  or the week of blini. The Russian Wikipedia has a nice article on this Russian tradition: http://tinyurl.com/yo8gv7.

This week involved traditionally preparing and eating a lot of blini. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law lives so far away as this Wednesday my MIL would have had to invite me to her home for blini (along with other guests) and Friday I would have had to invite my MIL in return for blini.

Today is the last day and particularly important: the "Forgiving Sunday" or Sunday of Forgiveness ("Прощеное Воскресенье"). Today is the day that you must ask all for forgiveness as you want to expiate your sins before the Great Lent which begins tomorrow. You ask for forgiveness from all the people that you know and they should reply God forgives (Бог простит).

The origins of this tradition are not quite Orthodox. It is one of these traditions that certainly can be traced back to pre-Christian traditions. It is the time that you say goodbye to winter and greet spring.

Tomorrow is the first day of the Great Lent which lasts this year from March 10 to April 26. Orthodox Easter follows on April 27th.

"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
I was just talking about this with my wife, this indeed explains the large amount of blini that has been appearing recently, including today - yum!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
so, people, I forgive everybody (except wiz)
I bless you  :chuckle:

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:48 AM »
so, people, I forgive everybody (except wiz)
I bless you  :chuckle:

The idea Julie is that YOU should be asking for forgiveness and most of all from Wiz.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline mirror

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »
Rasputin
The idea Julie is that YOU should be asking for forgiveness and most of all from Wiz.

Why? Can you explain a meaning of this forgiveness,pls?

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
Rasputin

I like the Christian ideal that we are all sinners and we must look at how we can improve ourselves. Forgiving an friend is easy, forgiving an enemy is much harder, asking forgiveness from an enemy who does not ask for forgiveness in return is probably the hardest task of all. I like the concept of the Maslenitsa in that rather than focusing on what bad things others have done to you, you have to look at how you may have sinned and done harm (or at the very least annoyed) others.   
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
Rasputin

are you muslim?
according to orthodox faith, it is forgivven sunday today. if i am not mistaken

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
Rasputin

are you muslim?

No, I am not Muslim. Yes, it is the day to ASK forgiveness and THEN have people forgive you.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:56:10 AM »
Rasputin

are you muslim?

No, I am not Muslim. Yes, it is the day to ASK forgiveness and THEN have people forgive you.
no no, I asked Mirror

Offline mirror

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
julie,
are you muslim?

Yes..if I can say like that because in our soviet time we all were atheists.So I am a "child" of this soviet time and not religious person.

Offline mirror

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »

Rasputin

I like the Christian ideal that we are all sinners and we must look at how we can improve ourselves. Forgiving an friend is easy, forgiving an enemy is much harder, asking forgiveness from an enemy who does not ask for forgiveness in return is probably the hardest task of all. I like the concept of the Maslenitsa in that rather than focusing on what bad things others have done to you, you have to look at how you may have sinned and done harm (or at the very least annoyed) others.   

"...we must look how we can improve ourselves..." :reading:

It is selfish wish.

I am sure that we must think about others and help others to be better , to live better :  in an "agreement" with their own souls  and with others around them.
Sometimes we let someone behave badly without saying "HEY, STOP IT" because we are too busy with ourselves ...it is bad!

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

Rasputin

"...we must look how we can improve ourselves..." :reading:

It is selfish wish.

I am sure that we must think about others and help others to be better , to live better :  in an "agreement" with their own souls  and with others around them.
Sometimes we let someone behave badly without saying "HEY, STOP IT" because we are too busy with ourselves ...it is bad!

I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean "because we are too busy with ourselves."

In my opinion, a great many people keep hate and anger inside them and let it fester. If someone hurt you and you are no longer together, should you let your hate consume you? At some point it is better to forgive and move on. Also, we often focus on all the pain that others have done to us, yet we forget that we also hurt others. I believe that it is important to look at how we can improve. I can't control another, but I can control my own actions and my own feelings.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
this holiday came from paganism.
so, dear christians, tell me why you celebrate it  :chuckle:

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Well, someone can aspire to the best ideals set out by all traditions and faiths. Repentance and forgiveness are important to all people, Christian or otherwise.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »

Well, someone can aspire to the best ideals set out by all traditions and faiths. Repentance and forgiveness are important to all people, Christian or otherwise.

I dont argue. I am just curious why christians celebrate it if it is not a christian holiday

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »

I dont argue. I am just curious why christians celebrate it if it is not a christian holiday

It is a process that is called syncretism. As Christianity spread into Europe and elsewhere, it encountered religious practices that were deeply rooted in the population. Christianity could either try to stamp out these practices or quite often certain practices were purged of overtly "pagan" overtones and given a Christian veneer. Over time, the people forgot the origins of the practices and simply saw them as part of their Christianity. It is only later that Russian scholars, for example, came to study the "two faiths"  of the people and tried to separate out the pagan from the Christian. For the populace, however, all these traditions would have been viewed as "Orthodox." To this day, ask most Russians whether the Maslenitsa is a Russian Orthodox tradition, and I am sure most will say yes.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »
I know how pagan holidays became Christians. it is hypocrisy

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

No, it is a pretty straightforward process of culture change. People keep what they value and add new meaning to old traditions. I would not say it is hypocrisy, simply standard culture change over centuries.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »

No, it is a pretty straightforward process of culture change. People keep what they value and add new meaning to old traditions. I would not say it is hypocrisy, simply standard culture change over centuries.
I disagree.
Do you really think there is smth in common btw pagan belifs and christian?

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

I disagree.
Do you really think there is smth in common btw pagan belifs and christian?

With syncretism, ancient practices are maintained under new beliefs. Old gods can become saints, goddesses assume the characteristics of the Virgin Mary, religious holidays coincide with ancient pagan holidays, and churches are built on sacred sites. It is through the fusion of local pagan beliefs with the incoming beliefs of Christianity that Christianity effectively took root across much of Europe. Again, there is not contradiction to the people: they would not see their popular traditions as pagan, rather they would see it as an expression of their Christianity.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline mirror

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
Rasputin

I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean "because we are too busy with ourselves."

You are too busy with an improvement of yourself.  :innocent:

In my opinion, a great many people keep hate and anger inside them and let it fester. If someone hurt you and you are no longer together, should you let your hate consume you? At some point it is better to forgive and move on.

Also, we often focus on all the pain that others have done to us, yet we forget that we also hurt others. I believe that it is important to look at how we can improve. I can't control another, but I can control my own actions and my own feelings.

Of course we need to improve ourselves every day but to work with yourself is too simple...much difficult to help  people who needs your help despite of he hurts you or not.
"Can you help me,pls?"
"No, I am too busy with my internal improvement".

Registration