The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK Citizen Getting Married in Ukraine - Legal Documents Required  (Read 44969 times)

Offline Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: UK Citizen Getting Married in Ukraine - Legal Documents Required
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
Train to Waterloo takes 50 minutes and the underground to whitehall... I guess another say 30 minutes........up and down the underground...my arthritis you see... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Any way any additional information can be requested over the phone... I have a mobile you know.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway plenty of time..........till the 7-8 Feb................don't panic.... you will get married.....I will make sure you make an "honest woman" your Irena... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
I'm going through the same thing now, getting the paperwork together to get married in April.

I screwed up on the "Divorce Certificate."  Forgetting that I was dealing with bureaucracy, I took a look through all the paperwork I had from my divorce and found only a "Divorce Order." Went through the hassle of getting it legalized in Canada, and when I presented it to be legalized in Ukraine, I was told it would not be accepted. Now I have a lawyer working on getting a "Divorce Certificate," and getting it legalized by the Canadian and Ukrainian governments. It was too much of a pain in the a$$ for me to try and do this from Mexico.

Regarding the waiting period, it sounds like there is some flexibility. Arina and I talked to the lady who runs the RAGS in Dneprodzerjinsk and were told that, because I wouldn't be in the country until 10 days before the wedding, she should go in and make the appointment for our marriage date by herself at least 30 days before the marriage, and they would check out all my documents when I arrived. The documents (all translated to Ukrainian) requested were:
1. passport
2. divorce certificate
3. certificate of non-impediment to marriage

BCKev

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »
BCKev

Yes those are the same documents, I was told needed to be translated, at least they are all singing from the same song sheet  ;) unusual for Ukraine  :laugh:

Chris

PS I was told if I take my flight tickets in with me and they showed I was leaving the country on a certain date they would rush it through, no waiting 30 days. But we did have to get friendly with the RAGS Office Director and Irena will be going back to see her when I get all my docs over to her just to be sure.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
BCKev:
Interesting seems your fiance is from the area my father-in-law's family has lived for many years, although my in-laws all now live in Dnepropetrovsk and have done so for many years.  We have driven through there a few times along the road though.  While my wife has fond memories of living and going to school there as a young girl.

Again best of luck to all of you who are planning weddings this year in Ukraine, etc.  Wes and Lora.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:42:34 AM »
UPDATE - for UK GUYS

I called in and picked up my Certificate of No Impediment today and went on to the British Embassy site in London just to check things out prior to going down to London and saw this:

Please note that from 1 February 2008 we will not be legalising photocopies of UK Birth, Marriage, Civil Partnership or Death Certificates, or Certificates of No Impediment, even if they have been signed by a UK solicitor or notary public. This is because we have been advised that the General Register Offices (GRO) are the designated authorities in the UK to issue certified copies of these documents. More information on obtaining a certified copy of these types of certificates from the GRO can be found at the General Register Office.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

General Register Office
+44 (0) 845 603 7788

Certificate Services Section
General Register Office
PO Box 2
SOUTHPORT
PR8 2JD

You can now order Certificates online

I am at present on hold trying to find out what this is all about  ???

What a pa lava, I spoke to the General Register Office and they told me to go to London as they are still doing legalisation, I said that is fine but I am 250 miles away I don't want to waste a day doing that if they are no longer carrying out this service, so I called the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (Top Secret direct line 0207 008 1500  :-X) and asked for Legalisation Office and it just put me through to a recorded message,  ::) I called back again and told them I didn't want putting through to a recorded message and was told that is the only office that can deal with me and they are closing now for 2 hours  :'(

Bureaucracy don;t you love it  >:(

Offline Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:09:28 AM »
Chris

I am watching with interest......

Offline Chris

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »
Chris

Yannis are you still up for a trip into London asap, providing I can find out what we are supposed to do that is  :( I need to get mine legalised urgently and I have another guy that wants his doing at the same time, so it may be worth your while  ;D

Thanks
Chris

Offline Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 06:27:03 AM »
Chris

Yannis are you still up for a trip into London asap, providing I can find out what we are supposed to do that is  :( I need to get mine legalised urgently and I have another guy that wants his doing at the same time, so it may be worth your while  ;D

Thanks
Chris

A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine....
(unless there's a financial inducement)......

anyway, how can I soar like an eagle when I work with "bleeding" turkeys!

Of Course I will....my word is my bond!

and No I am not James Bond ;D

I will do everything possible to help a MODERATOR hang himself..... :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 07:17:11 AM »
Chris

Thanks
Chris

A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine....
(unless there's a financial inducement)......

anyway, how can I soar like an eale when I work with "bleeding" turkeys!

Of Course I will....my word is my bond!

and No I am not James Bond ;D

I wil do everything possible to help you hang yourself..... :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

My planning has been meticulous, it is the British Government who keep throwing spanners in the works  ::)

Anyway, we are back on I will call you soon Wiz, finally, I have just spoken to the Foreign Office Legalisation Department and they NO longer Apostille photocopies, as long as all the docs are originals they will do them while you wait for a personal visit or by post as per their original time scales.

So to clarify, what the new rules are, from now on guys, it is original documents ONLY, no photocopies even if they have been notarised by a solicitor.

Offline Chris

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
Well the route and process I took upthread have worked, I received my Certificate of No Impediment last week, I sent the document along with my Divorce Absolute Certificate down to London and had them legalised at the British Embassy in London (thanks to Wiz for doing that for me, a very efficient service :) )  He sent them back to me on Wednesday this week, I scanned the Apostilled documents and then emailed them to Irena, she had them translated within 24 hours and on Friday last week she went to see the Director of the RAGS office in Chernivsty and the Director told her all was in order and we were able to marry and that we could do it immediately, no waiting period.

All I have to do now is take over my original documents, get them notarised (they are already translated remember) and we are authorised to get married as soon as we want after we complete the marriage forms and pay the fees of course.

After all the misleading information given by the British Embassy website and by some of our US and Canadian friends whose system is a lot different,  that is how someone from the UK does it.

Chris

Offline bobjf

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 04:25:07 AM »

sounds like your immi mob has been taking lessons from our mongrels chris

wish you luck mate
lol tell them you will sic an irate rw on them
it takes two willing givers to make two happy receivers
result happy couple most of the time lol

Offline Chris

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 04:28:44 AM »

sounds like your immi mob has been taking lessons from our mongrels chris

wish you luck mate
lol tell them you will sic an irate rw on them

LOL yes ours are not the best, but a lot better than most, so I can't complain :)

Offline lindochka

• это что такое?
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 04:33:06 AM »
Looks like you are on your way with this, Chris!  :party0011:

May I suggest that at some point all this "how to get married in X-country if you are from Y-country" be gathered in one place for reference? I would have been thrilled if I could have found specifics for US citizens marrying in Belarus beyond the limited info that's currently available online, and I'll be happy to add what I've learned after DM and I get through it (assuming we survive the bureaucratic process).

At the moment, I know I've got all the necessary documents and I've got a translation service lined up in Minsk. But we literally don't know whether we're registering in Minsk or in DM's hometown and I'm leaving in ten days!  :o
Life is so short we must move very slowly.

Offline Chris

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 04:41:32 AM »
Yes it is a nightmare, especially when you get people from other countries trying to help, but are not aware different countries have different rules and procedures. I started this thread to show how to do it from a UK perspective, but it needs cleaning up now and putting in one place like you say. I will get around to it soon and then lock the thread so it cannot be thrown off course :)

If you would be so kind as to do one for your situation that would be great.

Thanks for your good wishes,

Chris

Offline Simoni

• Sometimes known as Rocket Man.
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 05:51:48 AM »
Gee, with all this paperwork...has anyone thought of having the marriage ceremony in Ukraine but not filing it there? 

Just do their wedding for cultural reasons for your girl?  And then get legally married when you get her home to your country?

But of course, you would have to bribe the Priest to do the ceremony that is not "official."   :)LOL

And I think it's going to be a long, long time...