The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK Citizen Getting Married in Ukraine - Legal Documents Required  (Read 102676 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Over the Christmas/New Year period this year I spent a few hours greasing palms to get the information necessary to allow me to get married in Ukraine. I was told by the Chernivsti authority office that I needed certain documentation to allow this, one being a Certificate of No Impediment, although that is not what they called it, but it is what they meant. I was also told that our Government offices could provide this for us.

This is what I was told I need:-

* Passport with Ukrainian stamp to say I am in the country legally.
    * Divorce certificate with stamp/apostille
    * Letter from employer to say only 7 days holiday or it can be flight tickets – to speed up the waiting period. (normally a 30 day in country wait is necessary)
    * Letter/Certificate/Reference from Lawyer/Government Office to say I am not currently married and it must be apostilled.

All must be translated into Ukrainian and signed by a notary

So on returning to the UK I did some research and this is what I have found to be correct:-

The Certificate of no impediment to marriage is obtained from your local registry office. Their phone number will be under whichever town/district/borough council area that you live in.

All the documents can be notorised by the British Embassy in London.
link. http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...d=1007029391440

Today I called the above offices and this is what I was told:-

I spoke to my local Registry Office, this is what they told me:-

1. You Need to book an appointment to go in and see them in person.
2. You need to take with you:-
a) Your Name / Address,
b) Your Birth Certificate
c) Your Passport
d) An original copy of your Decree Absolute which must be a stamped copy by the court who issued it
e) A bank/utility bill with your name and address on it

3. They complete a Form 48 or 48a
4. You then have to wait 21 CLEAR days and go back to see them, then they issue a Form 36 which is signed and dated, it is NOT APOSTILLED,

You also need to take with you
a) Full name spelt correctly of your Fiancee
b) Full address where she resides now
c) Her correct age
d) Occupation
e) Current Marital status

and there is a £30 fee to pay.

I asked the lady about Legalisation of the documents, she told me to call the British Embassy in London to confirm if this is needed, I told her in Ukraine they do not accept documents unless they have official stamps, so she told me then the Embassy may have to Legalise and stamp all documents then.

So I called the Legalisation Office at the British Embassy:-

The Legalisation Office - http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...d=1007029391440

They say allow up to 4 weeks, and they CAN legalise, Certs of No Impediment, they actually say it takes 15 days but allow 4 weeks to be sure.

You can take your documents in person for same day Legalisation, waits can be up to 2 hours and each document costs £27.00, anyone can take your documents, no ID is required, but all documents must have either a signature, a seal or be notorised by an approved solicitor. No foreign documents can be Legalised.

They Attach to each document a Certificate or Apostille

Looks like a trip down to London for me then.

Thought this may help others.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Re: UK Citizen Getting Married in Ukraine - Legal Documents Required
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
I expect your situtation is similar to what was needed for us as well.  I covered this in detail on my topic on RWG under the heading of Another Marriage in Ukraine - or something similar in the Non-USA Section there.

Basically all of your forms and documents after being officially attested to my your country's legel department and/or Embassy will then be required to be translated into Ukranian and Notarized by the translation firms lawyer.

Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev.  This takes at least a full day to complete.  Line up early in the morning to obtain a number.  Wait a few hours until it is time to go inside.  Complete the forms and leave your documents.  Pay the Cashier and obtain a time and number to return in the evening and pick up the legalized documents.

One other document that helps things along is a letter from a doctor saying your fiance is pregnent and you wish to marry because of this.  Helps keep everyone in the marriage office happy when seeking a less than 35 days wait prior to getting married.

Good Luck and do check my and other previous threads on this process.  Wes.

Offline bgreed

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »
Being a US citizen mine wa a little different, but still very similar.

You are correct that the certification of no impediment must be apostilled.  However make more than one copy as RAGS will keep the apostilled copy.  They also will keep a copy of your birth certificate.

Yes they must be translated into Ukrainian

You take your no impediment to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Kiev pay your fee to recieve your stamp. You can pick it up after 4pm the same day. (Ministry of foreign Affairs is the yellow building accross from the Foreign Trade Ministry near St Mikails cathedral. Thats the big blue church with the gold domes)

Now you get to register at RAGS in her home city. Be prepared to grease the palm of the director to get a date sooner than the usual 30days (ask me how I know)

Once you get past that point the rest is easy.

Ah yes Chris I remeber those days so well only seems like yesterday (well it was only September :party0011:)

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:23:05 AM »
I expect your situtation is similar to what was needed for us as well.  I covered this in detail on my topic on RWG under the heading of Another Marriage in Ukraine - or something similar in the Non-USA Section there.

Basically all of your forms and documents after being officially attested to my your country's legel department and/or Embassy will then be required to be translated into Ukranian and Notarized by the translation firms lawyer.

Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev.  This takes at least a full day to complete.  Line up early in the morning to obtain a number.  Wait a few hours until it is time to go inside.  Complete the forms and leave your documents.  Pay the Cashier and obtain a time and number to return in the evening and pick up the legalized documents.

One other document that helps things along is a letter from a doctor saying your fiance is pregnent and you wish to marry because of this.  Helps keep everyone in the marriage office happy when seeking a less than 35 days wait prior to getting married.

Good Luck and do check my and other previous threads on this process.  Wes.

Thanks Wes,

Yes I know about them being translated into Ukrainian, I will be visiting the British Embassy in London sometime early next month after I get my Form 36 Certificate of No Impediment back to get all documents Apostilled. In fact I am going down with another guy I know who is going through the same process. He is a member on here too.

However, this bit I am unsure about "Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev." I was never told by the authorities in Chernivsti this had to be carried out in Kiev, I was lead to believe this could be done locally??

I will get my lady to check it all out and to make sure.

I don't think I will be needing the doctors letter though  ;) thanks anyway   :)
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:04 AM »
Being a US citizen mine wa a little different, but still very similar.

You are correct that the certification of no impediment must be apostilled.  However make more than one copy as RAGS will keep the apostilled copy.  They also will keep a copy of your birth certificate.

Yes they must be translated into Ukrainian

You take your no impediment to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Kiev pay your fee to recieve your stamp. You can pick it up after 4pm the same day. (Ministry of foreign Affairs is the yellow building accross from the Foreign Trade Ministry near St Mikails cathedral. Thats the big blue church with the gold domes)

Now you get to register at RAGS in her home city. Be prepared to grease the palm of the director to get a date sooner than the usual 30days (ask me how I know)

Once you get past that point the rest is easy.

Ah yes Chris I remeber those days so well only seems like yesterday (well it was only September :party0011:)

Thanks BG

Yes I did a little palm greasing over Christmas ;) and to be fair she told me what else I could do to speed matters up. When I go back I will be visiting the same lady, who I am sure will smooth things over with a little incentive or two  ;)

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:03:31 AM »
I have just spoken to my lady about having the documents Legalised at the Ministry of Affairs in Kiev, this is what she told me:-

The lady we met, told us that we will have to translate all documents and have them  notarized but we can get that done in Chernivtsi, she already has someone lined up to do this for us.

The same lady, who I have just found out was actually the MAIN Director of RAGS told us that after we will get married we will have to go to Kiev and get our married certificate legalized, that is all, we do not need the other documents legalized in Kiev.

This lady, the Director of RAGS is the one who can decide if we are able to get married
so if we needed to legalize some documents in Kiev she would have told us that while we were with her. (Now I know why she looked so official :)  )

To be sure my lady is calling the Director this afternoon.
Слава Україні

Offline MBS01

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »
Chrismc:
Again our reality was different than what has been explained to you.  All my documents and letters etc. needed for marriage had to be legalized in Kiev at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  This is the one and only office for the whole country and thus the only place that can do this for you.

Your lady's contact is also right about the after marriage thing too.  Make sure you get a second copy of the marriage document as your soon to be wife will need to surrender one copy locally in order to update her Passport as then being married.  You will want the second one for your sponsorship of your then wife to your country.

The next day after getting married we had to take the marriage document from the local city office to the main city office to have it registered etc.  Later on my return to Canada we did the marriage document legalization process in Kiev at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then had it translated into English, notarized and dropped off a copy at the Canadian Consulate to show that I was now married to a citizen of Ukraine.  Thus the legalization process in reverse if you like.

Our local contact in this regard was the former Director of the Marriage Office in Dnepropetrovsk who had retired to care for her orphaned grandchildren.  Needless to say these kinds of contacts are a great help in navigating this international marriage puzzle.

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »
Wes

I think there is a different system for different countries, for example my lady checked everything out today and was told we have it right, I know another guy from the UK who also checked things out today, who is getting married in Odessa in April and he was told exactly the same as us. eg no need to go to Kiev to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

When we went to the RAGS office to start with, we were asked what country I was from, it seemed that they had different forms for different countries, I cannot be certain about that, but that is what it looked like. Based on what two of us from the UK have been told in the last week or so and confirmed today, it may well be that people from different countries are treated differently?? Could be a number of reasons for that, who really knows, but I was also told that the laws and regulations change frequently in Ukraine, so who knows the way they do things now may well be different from how you had to do it  ???

My lady has also got some documentation today, signed by the Director of the RAGS Office, no where in that documentation does it mention a visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get your documents Legalised.

Anyway, to be sure, I will send over copies of all my documentation, ,my lady will get them translated and she will take all these documents to the Director of the RAGS Office and see what she says, when I get to Ukraine I will get my originals stamped/notorised.

I will know for sure what the system is in a few weeks time, so it will be interesting to see if what we are being told now remains correct.

Thanks
Chris
Слава Україні

Offline js60

• Avatar Miss Cheronobyl 2003 !!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
Hi Chris,

Congratulations on the engagement, i hope you and Irina and the little one will be very happy,

regards the apostate you can do this through a local solicitor here in the UK who has been authorised to do this, they genreally mention this i there adds or look on line for a solicitor they have a list from the relevant govt dept,
they send it away to London and it normally takes a week, i had three to do cost £110 for all of them, might be cheaper than going to London,

certificate of no impediment, takes three weeks it has to be on display at your local registry office, just in case someone decides you may not have a reason to get married again,

if you marry in Ukraine ? it will be in Podilsk (and I'm sure I've spelt that wrong) its about 25 miles north west of Chernivtsy and is the local registry office,
yes they still tell you where you can marry and where you can't !!!  you have to return the week after for the certificate, its all long lines of those waiting to get married,

then because Irena is marrying a foreigner  the paper work has to be taken to the justice dept in Kiev, (but looking at the posts it may no longer be necessary) you then have to return a week later to pick it up,
although the guards on the door can be bribed, in fact they will come outside whilst you are waiting to go in, (be early very early, as a long line builds up), and they will offer to have the paper work sorted by 4 o'clock the same day, for about 20 euros or thirty us dollars,

take care mate and give my regards to your soon to be bride and the sprog  :)
DO NOT STEAL,  The government doesn't like the competition,

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »
Thanks John for your good wishes and advice.

I have a feeling some of these rules have changed since you guys got married in Ukraine, there is so much conflicting information here, once I go through this and know how it is done I will put together a final draft of the procedures. I started this thread based on someone from the UK getting married in Ukraine, I am pretty sure based on what I have learnt over the last few days the rules are slightly different if you are from the USA or Canada, but I will be finding out as much as I can soon.

John, this bit about getting married in Podilsk is confusing too, we were told we are OK to get married in Chernivsti. Another guy I know who is going through the same in April, from the UK, is getting married in Odessa, his fiance was told yesterday that she can get all the forms translated and notorised at their local RAGS office and this guy can just turn up and get married, it is that easy, of course a few incentives changed hands to smooth the way, but it seems on the face of it more or less a done deal.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the information, I will keep this thread updated as I learn more.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline js60

• Avatar Miss Cheronobyl 2003 !!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 05:13:12 AM »

Hi Chris,

Yes the rules may have changed, as after I'd posted last night,   the little grey cells started working and i remember after Yushenko became president he mentioned making it easier to get married locally, but i remembered to late, 

when i got married the bans were put up in Chern but you could only get married at the oblast registry office which was in podilsk, also i believe at that time the bans had to be up for 12 days minimum even if you had an excuse, rather than 21 as was normal then,
I had to return to the UK for an operation, (rather than the wife being pregnant excuse  :laugh:)

it was a bit of a devil getting the timing right as we were applying for the visa whilst i was out there,
and had then to rush of to Kiev to the justice dept, (office of bribes) then a week later to get the paperwork as she refused to let me pay the bribe, 

also the British govt have two offices one is the consulate and the other is where they issue the visa's luckily not to far apart as we went to the wrong one,
also if you make an appointment it is quicker when you go for the visa, our names were called within ten miniutes of going in and then told to come back that afternoon at four for the visa's,

the woman who did the apostate liked brandy, :)
john
DO NOT STEAL,  The government doesn't like the competition,

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
OK John

Thanks for that, yes the rules change regularly, it's Ukraine it's normal! :) I could tell you a story about rule changes, it beggars belief ;)  anyway we shall know for sure very soon.

We will be applying for a visa later as she is not coming here until June anyway, so not as much as a rush with that.

Chris

PS I will remember the brandy :)
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:51:25 AM »
UPDATE

I had an appointment with the local Registry Office last Wednesday to fill out all the forms etc to help me obtain a Certificate of No Impediment, I now have 21 days to wait to receive it, so on the 7th February I should get that, then it is off to the British Embassy in London to get all my documents Apostilled.

The lady at the registry office told me, that once we are married, if I take our new Ukrainian Marriage Certificate to the British Consul in Kiev they will record it and send an acknowledgement over to the UK Office in Southport of all places?? and if we ever need a copy of our Marriage Certificate in the UK we can get it from Southport rather than have to go back to the Ukraine. Something that makes life easier and I didn't know. 

She told me she had been busy that day with people having appointments for the same forms every 20 minutes throughout the day and yet since more countries had joined the EU the requests for CoNE had dropped.
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »
Chris

How much will it cost you to come down to London?

You probably can send the documents down to me By Guaranteed Next day delivery at the Post office.... and the poor Pensioner can go to London and do it for you and the cost of my ticket will be much cheaper than yours.........and I will get experience, where to go and what to do so when my turn comes.....easy.

I hope you don't  have to go personally to Apostille the documents?

That is another little cash job that I can do later together with acquiring Visas.........from the Russian and Ukrainian Consulate. I know that route well by now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually I have been thinking long time now what can I do for keeping myself occupied and out of mischief...... and earn pocket money!

Yannis
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »
Chris

How much will it cost you to come down to London?

You probably can send the documents down to me By Guaranteed Next day delivery at the Post office.... and the poor Pensioner can go to London and do it for you and the cost of my ticket will be much cheaper than yours.........and I will get experience, where to go and what to do so when my turn comes.....easy.

I hope you don't  have to go personally to Apostille the documents?

That is another little cash job that I can do later together with acquiring Visas.........from the Russian and Ukrainian Consulate. I know that route well by now  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually I have been thinking long time now what can I do for keeping myself occupied and out of mischief...... and earn pocket money!

Yannis

That is actually a good idea Yannis, because you don't need to turn up in person, anyone can have documents apostilled. However, John my buddy is also getting his Cert of No Imped the day before me and we planned on going down together, save money and the driving, but I will have a talk with him and see what he wants to do.

The only drawback I can see is if they need more information for whatever reason or want to ask questions.

How far are you from the Embassy in London?

I will get back to you on it.
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
Train to Waterloo takes 50 minutes and the underground to whitehall... I guess another say 30 minutes........up and down the underground...my arthritis you see... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Any way any additional information can be requested over the phone... I have a mobile you know.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway plenty of time..........till the 7-8 Feb................don't panic.... you will get married.....I will make sure you make an "honest woman" your Irena... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline BCKev

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
I'm going through the same thing now, getting the paperwork together to get married in April.

I screwed up on the "Divorce Certificate."  Forgetting that I was dealing with bureaucracy, I took a look through all the paperwork I had from my divorce and found only a "Divorce Order." Went through the hassle of getting it legalized in Canada, and when I presented it to be legalized in Ukraine, I was told it would not be accepted. Now I have a lawyer working on getting a "Divorce Certificate," and getting it legalized by the Canadian and Ukrainian governments. It was too much of a pain in the a$$ for me to try and do this from Mexico.

Regarding the waiting period, it sounds like there is some flexibility. Arina and I talked to the lady who runs the RAGS in Dneprodzerjinsk and were told that, because I wouldn't be in the country until 10 days before the wedding, she should go in and make the appointment for our marriage date by herself at least 30 days before the marriage, and they would check out all my documents when I arrived. The documents (all translated to Ukrainian) requested were:
1. passport
2. divorce certificate
3. certificate of non-impediment to marriage

BCKev

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »
BCKev

Yes those are the same documents, I was told needed to be translated, at least they are all singing from the same song sheet  ;) unusual for Ukraine  :laugh:

Chris

PS I was told if I take my flight tickets in with me and they showed I was leaving the country on a certain date they would rush it through, no waiting 30 days. But we did have to get friendly with the RAGS Office Director and Irena will be going back to see her when I get all my docs over to her just to be sure.
Слава Україні

Offline MBS01

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
BCKev:
Interesting seems your fiance is from the area my father-in-law's family has lived for many years, although my in-laws all now live in Dnepropetrovsk and have done so for many years.  We have driven through there a few times along the road though.  While my wife has fond memories of living and going to school there as a young girl.

Again best of luck to all of you who are planning weddings this year in Ukraine, etc.  Wes and Lora.

Offline Chris

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:42:34 AM »
UPDATE - for UK GUYS

I called in and picked up my Certificate of No Impediment today and went on to the British Embassy site in London just to check things out prior to going down to London and saw this:

Please note that from 1 February 2008 we will not be legalising photocopies of UK Birth, Marriage, Civil Partnership or Death Certificates, or Certificates of No Impediment, even if they have been signed by a UK solicitor or notary public. This is because we have been advised that the General Register Offices (GRO) are the designated authorities in the UK to issue certified copies of these documents. More information on obtaining a certified copy of these types of certificates from the GRO can be found at the General Register Office.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

General Register Office
+44 (0) 845 603 7788

Certificate Services Section
General Register Office
PO Box 2
SOUTHPORT
PR8 2JD

You can now order Certificates online

I am at present on hold trying to find out what this is all about  ???

What a pa lava, I spoke to the General Register Office and they told me to go to London as they are still doing legalisation, I said that is fine but I am 250 miles away I don't want to waste a day doing that if they are no longer carrying out this service, so I called the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (Top Secret direct line 0207 008 1500  :-X) and asked for Legalisation Office and it just put me through to a recorded message,  ::) I called back again and told them I didn't want putting through to a recorded message and was told that is the only office that can deal with me and they are closing now for 2 hours  :'(

Bureaucracy don;t you love it  >:(
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:09:28 AM »
Chris

I am watching with interest......

Offline Chris

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »
Chris

Yannis are you still up for a trip into London asap, providing I can find out what we are supposed to do that is  :( I need to get mine legalised urgently and I have another guy that wants his doing at the same time, so it may be worth your while  ;D

Thanks
Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 06:27:03 AM »
Chris

Yannis are you still up for a trip into London asap, providing I can find out what we are supposed to do that is  :( I need to get mine legalised urgently and I have another guy that wants his doing at the same time, so it may be worth your while  ;D

Thanks
Chris

A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine....
(unless there's a financial inducement)......

anyway, how can I soar like an eagle when I work with "bleeding" turkeys!

Of Course I will....my word is my bond!

and No I am not James Bond ;D

I will do everything possible to help a MODERATOR hang himself..... :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 07:17:11 AM »
Chris

Thanks
Chris

A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine....
(unless there's a financial inducement)......

anyway, how can I soar like an eale when I work with "bleeding" turkeys!

Of Course I will....my word is my bond!

and No I am not James Bond ;D

I wil do everything possible to help you hang yourself..... :party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

My planning has been meticulous, it is the British Government who keep throwing spanners in the works  ::)

Anyway, we are back on I will call you soon Wiz, finally, I have just spoken to the Foreign Office Legalisation Department and they NO longer Apostille photocopies, as long as all the docs are originals they will do them while you wait for a personal visit or by post as per their original time scales.

So to clarify, what the new rules are, from now on guys, it is original documents ONLY, no photocopies even if they have been notarised by a solicitor.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
Well the route and process I took upthread have worked, I received my Certificate of No Impediment last week, I sent the document along with my Divorce Absolute Certificate down to London and had them legalised at the British Embassy in London (thanks to Wiz for doing that for me, a very efficient service :) )  He sent them back to me on Wednesday this week, I scanned the Apostilled documents and then emailed them to Irena, she had them translated within 24 hours and on Friday last week she went to see the Director of the RAGS office in Chernivsty and the Director told her all was in order and we were able to marry and that we could do it immediately, no waiting period.

All I have to do now is take over my original documents, get them notarised (they are already translated remember) and we are authorised to get married as soon as we want after we complete the marriage forms and pay the fees of course.

After all the misleading information given by the British Embassy website and by some of our US and Canadian friends whose system is a lot different,  that is how someone from the UK does it.

Chris
Слава Україні