The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: tourist visa for parents  (Read 1471 times)

Offline HiTech

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
tourist visa for parents
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
What are the probability of a tourist visa for Ukraine parents for a wedding?

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
  • Trips: 20+
Re: tourist visa for parents
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
hey HiTech,

If it is during the first 90 days she is here, slim to none, and slim just left the room.

If it is after she has her 2 year green card the chances are a lot better.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
 Jack,

Nataly will be here 2 years in June, but we aren't married, any chance her parents can visit? I know it's a longshot, but I can only imagine how happy that would make Nataly, she would be smiling from ear to ear.

p.s.  new board, clean slate...the past is the past.

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:23:27 PM »
Jinx, Nataly's case is different.  Her being not married will not be a factor.  It's not a long shot.  With the 10 year card, their is a great chance, better than 65-70% that she can get one or both parents here for visit.

Offline Jet

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

If it is during the first 90 days she is here, slim to none, and slim just left the room.

I would contend that this has much to do with the parents current financial situation, if good they have a good chance that at least one parent will be granted the visa. A wedding is an excellent reason for a short visit to the US, much better than the birth of a child. It always comes down to the applicant being able to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, and this is something they they must prove on their own without help from others.
The most vociferous protestations invariably come from the worst offenders ~ Alcee Hastings - US house of Representatives

sharpbws

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
I would contend that this has much to do with the parents current financial situation, if good they have a good chance that at least one parent will be granted the visa. A wedding is an excellent reason for a short visit to the US, much better than the birth of a child. It always comes down to the applicant being able to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, and this is something they they must prove on their own without help from others.

Good point!  One parent coming while one stays at home provides compelling reason to return.  Good apartment, dacha and car provide other incentives to return.  My mother-in-law got her visa on the first try.  She told me the man asked her "Do you want to live in America?" to which she answered, "Hevaens no, I don't even want to live in Moscow".  He just chuckled and approved her multi-entry one-year visa.  She used that to come here twice for 2-3 weeks each trip and left 5 days before the expiration of the visa.  I'd guess she'll have no trouble getting another when she re-applies this winter.

You need to to know that the Embassy puts a stamp in the passport of anyone who applies for a visa and is refused.  This is like the kiss-of-death for future attempts for visa applications.

:-)
Brad 

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
I've heard there is no problems for parents to come. just send them an invitation. even if you are not married, invite them from your side. Though I know it takes a lot of time and power