The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Transit thru VKO  (Read 1753 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Transit thru VKO
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »
Was thinking of a surprise trip back to Odessa with the wife this summer. A quick scan of prices and MIA>VKO>ODS is only about $750 that time of year, a steal for us USAians. Would I need a VISA just for transit? Layover is long, 22 hours, anything to do in that time frame nearby? Would I be able to exit the airport without a VISA?

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Transit thru VKO
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Would I be able to exit the airport without a VISA?

That would be a no in most countries.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline DPRK

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Russian Federation
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:33:20 PM »
Was thinking of a surprise trip back to Odessa with the wife this summer. A quick scan of prices and MIA>VKO>ODS is only about $750 that time of year, a steal for us USAians. Would I need a VISA just for transit? Layover is long, 22 hours, anything to do in that time frame nearby? Would I be able to exit the airport without a VISA?

I would venture to say that if you exit VKO, then you will need a transit visa, which is good for up to 3 days if traveling by plane. If you go that route, make sure to use ILS, not TraVisa, as Invisa Logistic Services is the only visa service in the U.S. authorized to hand deliver your visa papers and passport to the consulate, and much more economical. (Travisa simply hands your documents to ILS and bilks you for a middleman fee.) Florida is zoned for the Washington, D.C. embassy, so you'll be sending your papers to the D.C. branch. "Way to Russia" has some economical invitation letters.
"If you've been invaded by the Russians, it's never a good thing for food." --Anthony Bourdain

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
I figured a VISA may be necessary for a US citizen when leaving the airport, but was not sure how strict they were about it in Russia. My wife and I have had experiences where they give you a little wiggle room or look the other way. Seems usually not the case in Russia after looking into it a bit more. Not sure if a VISA is worth it for a layover, although it might be if I plan on returning and apply for the three year. Thanks

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:56:47 AM »
In some cases the Russians still require a transit visa even if you don't leave the airport. I went through SVO on the return side of a transit trip yesterday and the Russians required a transit visa even though we were transiting the same day and 'within the same terminal.

Better safe than sorry.....

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
''A Transit Visa is not required if you remain in the transit zone of the airport in order to catch an onward or connecting flight within 24 hours of arrival. Transit visas are normally valid for maximum of 3 days if travelling by air and 10 if travelling by train.''

From the Russian Visa Service

http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/transit.html
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
''A Transit Visa is not required if you remain in the transit zone of the airport in order to catch an onward or connecting flight within 24 hours of arrival. Transit visas are normally valid for maximum of 3 days if travelling by air and 10 if travelling by train.''

From the Russian Visa Service

http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/transit.html

Thanks. At this point a 22 hour layover in the airport does not make the savings worth it for me. I could do the same in other cities without the additional hassle. I have also read about issues similar to what ECR844 mentions as well.

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:03:09 AM »
Why take the chance since you have your family with you buddy. I get that it's worth finding out, leave it to another member to sort it. Very good question that people really want to know.
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Registration