The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.  (Read 77467 times)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »
Well, this isn't a dating site, but a forum.

aha  ;D

Besides, was it you who wrote you paid 50e for a lousy manicure and tipped the "poor Serbian girl" 5e? (Which, i guess, means you are far above the poverty line.)

Everyone, I guess, has good times and bad times. Before paying 50 EUR for manicure and tipping "poor Serbian girl" I've donated my 5 GBP to RUA (July 5, 2008 - have just checked my PayPal history. Can send Manny a transaction number, shall he consider the verification needed). See this thread: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4024.0

Why wouldn't you or i pay the membership given that we participate equally, like guys do? 

Why? For example, because I do not consider this forum either necessary for my living, or entertaining enough to be paid for. Thus I can easily survive a couple of years without logging here. And shall it become paid - I won't cry liters of tears about it, just leave. YMMV - so if you personally, Lena, truly need this forum, I'd surely understand if you'll decide to pay for the access  :biggrin:

I say, for female members, either offer some content that men find entertaining and don't mind supporting financially, or, if you insist on being a feminist and an intellectual, pay your share, it's as simple as that.

Can not remember when exactly I've insisted on being feminist and an intellectual; so I won't waste my time anymore on arguing with you, dear.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »
I think that, for the Russian charisma, to be a separate article in accounting expenses.  :innocent:

As a rule, in the course of the discussion: familiarity with Russian culture. :)

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2015, 11:18:39 PM »
I would prefer to see voting rights sold off.

That sounds intriguing. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Simply selling voting shares for how the website is managed on a handshake deal or as a real corporation. I doubt that Manny would want to give up that power but it could bring in a good bit of cash. No?
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:32 AM »
I'm a member of several forums with paid subscriptions, I've also donated when asked, and I click ads to help out, purely because I really like the sites and would hate to see them disappear.  One is very similar to this forum.

The difference with those sites and this one is that they are well run.  They don't let the few trolls ruin the "mood" of the place just to drive arguments to drive posts.  They don't let mods pick and choose to delete posts just because the mod doesn't like the post or member that posted it, like with my posts earlier this week.  They are very transparent when decisions about deleting posts or topics are made.  They do their best to create a good community where users aren't afraid to share content.  Basically, the exact opposite of this forum.

You, Manny, allow a few to poison the water here and are poisonous yourself occasionally.  Your very first post to me when I first joined was condescending.  As a brand new member, only a few months ago, I instantly felt the negative "vibe" here once I started reading threads.  The "MOB" business could be booming right now and this forum would still be sinking unless you actually took measures to foster a good community.  It's obvious you have no desire to do that.

The numerous threads here, telling you there's a problem are ignored, locked, or deleted.  You can point the finger at rising costs and a declining industry; those obviously play a part, but you're not stupid, you know the real problem is the poisonous community you encourage.

There's no way I would donate or pay anything to this site.  There's no way I would ever recommend this site to anyone else.  I think you'll have another failed forum on your hands soon and you only have yourself to blame.

I think we owe a lot to Manny.  He is kind, very helpful, extremely knowledgeable, articulate, intelligent, witty.  I understand Andrew can be difficult at times.  He can also be funny sometimes too and that is also good.  Andrew is also intelligent and lives in the FSU and provides valuable insight. 

This website has helped many people save money by recognizing and identifying red flags and stopping scammers in their tracks. 

It has also served to make new friends, contacts and even the occasional RUA couple. 

We must be fair and see that the good outweighs the bad BY FAR.  Let's be fair and keep things in perspective and in balance. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2015, 03:45:22 AM »
The fact that my previous post will be deleted and I'll be banned kind of makes my point.

There's good information and people here but they're drowned out by the noise and there's apparently no desire to change that.

Why should a stupid post by an arrogant twat be deleted for just those reasons.

On the other hand, you will not be missed after your kind and generous farewell rant. Well done for deleting yourself.

However, unless I am much mistaken about your own ethical compass, you will continue posting here because although the site is, according to you, so terrible your life without it is even worse.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:21 AM »

Well, this isn't a dating site, but a forum.

aha  ;D

You are hunting for husband here? Good luck with that  :)

Why? For example, because I do not consider this forum either necessary for my living, or entertaining enough to be paid for. Thus I can easily survive a couple of years without logging here. And shall it become paid - I won't cry liters of tears about it, just leave. YMMV - so if you personally, Lena, truly need this forum, I'd surely understand if you'll decide to pay for the access  :biggrin:

I am not a freeloader, i guess that's the difference.  ;D

Do read your own posts, they scream equal rights, oppression against women etc. - if you are equal, you pay equally, it's as simple as that.
Also, do not delude yourself of how i use of my time and skills; i get it what's narcissism, but kindly keep your issues to your own self.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2015, 04:28:43 AM »

The opposition group will gladly take them all, because they would like to have the membership and they are free.

Well, you did ask.

Yep, and thanks for answering, but i am not sure whom you mean by "opposition", the other forum? They "will gladly take them all", you mean the trolls and cheapskates?
Those of us who don't feel they are cattle that can be lead from one pasture to another, will help sort out this situation and, hopefully, have RUA for ourselves, like it is now.

I would donate a few bucks no problem. I would need to do a search for my special paypal without membership link as I am banned for life for using it in Russia many moons ago when you couldn't.

Eww, don't even get me started on paypal!!!  (:) I understand, i could author a horror-novel about it...
I would prefer to see voting rights sold off. I can also easily see a thousand members moving away just because....

As you, guys, decide, i am with the majority. I don't feel the need to exercise some executive power on these boards, but whatever you decide is the best, i am in.

Too funny, how some (not you, Bagalia!) hurry to express their contempt for this forum and its' members... So WTF are you doing here?  :duh:
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2015, 04:42:24 AM »

Manny must know this. He's been on forums dedicated to forum administration. Just the fact that he'd bring up this topic as opposed to quietly setting up a Tip Jar, sets off all types of red flags for me.

West, all the forums, but one, where i was a member, were paid. (And my wordpress blog is 20e a year.) The forum which is free, that i am mentioning, has topics like this one at least bi-monthly and everyone paypals what they can. It's not whether the forum would have me, it's whether i like the people there. If i do, i don't mind chipping in, like with everything else in life. Forum administrator is a new term and most folks don't really get it what it means, but what Manny basically does here - is a non-commercial publishing, him managing the texts (posts) authored by a group of non-selling and occasionally dysfunctional authors. Think of it in those terms and chipping in won't feel that painful ;)
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2015, 04:55:51 AM »
Think of it in those terms and chipping in won't feel that painful ;)

When the poor fellow has to make a choice between buying a bowl of rice pudding at the day care centre or paying his way here then it is a tough choice. I can understand that.
Perhaps, if Manny decided to have a formal subscription system he could have an allocation of free subscriptions for those who could prove their indigency? Then people like Olga and Westy could present their case for getting rid of the ads for free.  :money:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:51 AM »
Think of it in those terms and chipping in won't feel that painful ;)

When the poor fellow has to make a choice between buying a bowl of rice pudding at the day care centre or paying his way here then it is a tough choice. I can understand that.
Perhaps, if Manny decided to have a formal subscription system he could have an allocation of free subscriptions for those who could prove their indigency? Then people like Olga and Westy could present their case for getting rid of the ads for free.  :money:

Absolutely! We can have gift subscriptions too. I know you and i think alike on this matter, so this is not addressed at you, but generally: gheezus, all of the peeps who posted in this thread spend at least one hour a day reading and writing here, it's not about Manny, it's about us - do you respect your time? Do you respect your own efforts? Do you respect the people here? Deep inside i don't really get it  :biggrin:
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2015, 05:48:40 AM »
Volshe, didn't you know, the Internets are free!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »
Just so I understand this, if those here
Don't chip in, they should leave or forever
Be labeled cheap? Interesting.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »

What's the betting that Anathema will continue posting away even though he hates the site and people and can find no benefit to it. One wonders if some people ever read what they write, or think before writing.
I do believe he said a few, maybe you should read before posting also.

No, you are not reading again (or not understanding what you have read).

In the hypothetical situation where there is a paid membership option all those who did not want to pay would see advertisements on the pages of the site. In addition, I suggested that there be private areas of the site to which freeloaders would not have access. So, for almost all readers of the site there would be no change but people who wanted to contribute cash money would receive some extra benefits.

Nobody has suggested, as far as I can see, that there should be a closed membership with everyone required to pay. I think you just made that up from your half comprehended reading.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
Volshe, didn't you know, the Internets are free!

Wow, i didn't know that!   :o 

My folks said "there is no free lunch in the universe", i believed them...  :'( That ancient wisdom also says that if we still opt for that "free lunch", we are in fact getting "the bread of shame"  :biggrin:

http://kabbalahstudent.com/free-kabbalah/

Andrew, lol, i am still not sure why it's so difficult for some to understand that this very subculture is of little interest to majority of mankind, that most of RUA contributors are not candidates for Nobel Prize in literature and that we have to sustain ourselves and our musings & interaction one way or another... What, Manny is supposed to take from his kids, so to sponsor those who want to play, but won't share of themselves? I mean, get real (i don't mean you, Andrew, neither Omega  or Shakey, DPRK and the rest  of us, who get it).  ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
Andrew, I would have no problem
With pay and get whatever extras the extras
Are, each can then decide for themselves.

Volshe. Even with my lesser abilities
            I get exactly what you mean
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Volshe. Even with my lesser abilities
            I get exactly what you mean

I didn't mean you, dear, i promise. Yours i get, just checking what and where etc., that's called being cautious, it's normal.

p.s. your abilities are way superior to mine - you are a native speaker and live in the same system, i can merely count on my gut feeling (so far it does me good service, knock on wood - not in this situation, i mean, way more complicated ones and riskier too ;))
Douglas Adams

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »

What's the betting that Anathema will continue posting away even though he hates the site and people and can find no benefit to it. One wonders if some people ever read what they write, or think before writing.
I do believe he said a few, maybe you should read before posting also.

No, you are not reading again (or not understanding what you have read).

In the hypothetical situation where there is a paid membership option all those who did not want to pay would see advertisements on the pages of the site. In addition, I suggested that there be private areas of the site to which freeloaders would not have access. So, for almost all readers of the site there would be no change but people who wanted to contribute cash money would receive some extra benefits.

Nobody has suggested, as far as I can see, that there should be a closed membership with everyone required to pay. I think you just made that up from your half comprehended reading.

Andrew so somehow you're going to overcome adblock on those who have it to show ads on the public areas of RUA? Then there will be private areas of RUA that can only be accessed by those who have pad a fee. What would the private areas have that the public areas don't? Please enlighten us. Andrew you obviously haven't thought this through. You don't know what you're talking about.

[TOS violation removed]
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
Then there will be private areas of RUA that can only be accessed by those who have pad a fee. What would the private areas have that the public areas don't? Please enlighten us.

Not enough content or to do this I would think. With many websites it is the opposite. They give away freebies to build membership which they can then monetize.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
One approach which could work is to have 2 classes of members -

Free - Maximum 10 posts a week
Paid - Unlimited posting

Remember the vast majority of RUA members would not be effected by such a posting limit. 

As for me I will send Manny a donation.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Paid - Unlimited posting

Remember the vast majority of RUA members would not be effected by such a posting limit. 

Any donations could be done through a Tip Jar. Simple, no need for any radical changes.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »

Paid - Unlimited posting

What an excellent idea!
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
Westcoast, people like you are always going to be freeloaders. In the end not much can be done about them, they are takers, not makers but the world is made by makers and we are happy to be that way.

You can stick with your rice pudding at your daycare centre.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

As for the 'extra content' that is easy - start with the current closed off areas. Grandfather in existing posters and open the areas up for folks who subscribe in the future.
People who pay are the people who are interested and interesting anyway.

Ain't nobody going to get rich off this as Manny knows. The revenue value of a site visitor here is pretty low.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
Westcoast, people like you are always going to be freeloaders. In the end not much can be done about them, they are takers, not makers but the world is made by makers and we are happy to be that way.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

As for the 'extra content' that is easy - start with the current closed off areas. Grandfather in existing posters and open the areas up for folks who subscribe in the future.

Ain't nobody going to get rich off this as Manny knows. The revenue value of a site visitor here is pretty low.

So according to your description the areas of RUA accessible only by paying a fee will yield no new content. I'm sure that will bring in many fee paying members.  :'(

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »

+++++++++++++++++++++++

So according to your description the areas of RUA accessible only by paying a fee will yield no new content. I'm sure that will bring in many fee paying members.  :'(

If it brings in 10 paying members that's 10 more than now.

It may also reduce the number of armchair posters who've never stepped foot in the FSU from clogging up the board with shite.

Time will tell.

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline yankee

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

If it brings in 10 paying members that's 10 more than now.

It may also reduce the number of armchair posters who've never stepped foot in the FSU from clogging up the board with shite.

Time will tell.

What about the others that clog up the board with shite??  Especially those that enjoy posting personal attacks when they don't like what is said.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Registration