The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.  (Read 15599 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
NS1, in your ongoing quest to look a fool by missing the point or misunderstanding what you read you continue to follow me around like a sick puppy. If you wish to communicate with me please send me a PM - Oh, that's right, you can't. So, just stop following me around like a sick puppy, there's a good lad.  :'(
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
NS1, in your ongoing quest to look a fool by missing the point of misunderstanding what you read you continue to follow me around like a sick puppy. If you wish to communicate with me please send me a PM - Oh, that's right, you can't. So, just stop following me around like a sick puppy, there's a good lad.  :'(
I do believe they same as you, I can post on comments as I wish.
If you are to stupid to realize you were once again, one of the ones being spoken about, no help for you there. Follow you, not in this life time, keep dreaming :chuckle: Of course, if you don't like my comments,could always just piss off.
Or put me on ignore, won't hurt my feelings:)
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
You gentlemen are not helping the cause here.  (:)
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
How about going to www.paidonresults.com, which is free I believe, use some of their banners to generate income?

General affiliate ads have never done that well here.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps those who come to this site aren't one's who are seeking a partner or need an advertising banner for  a dating site, often they're not quite the ones many here would suggest anyway.

If there was links to something more useful, say inter flora FSU (similar but not so expensive) so members can send flowers, or perhaps an underwear firm who deliver directly to the FSU might be more helpful?

Whilst others are suggesting members pay, it's perhaps those who don't contribute in written form who are those who you could exploit further, I know for me I'd be more than happy to know a firm whom I can order flowers online in english at a reasonable rate to be delivered on say Women's Day or similar. There must be more similar type products? Polski shops that deliver online, paying commission?

Just think the dating links are used here more for fun, the more usable aspects seem be missed IMO.

But then I don't run a forum!!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
I've trialled affiliate stuff here in the past. As have similar sites. Because of the nature of our traffic it doesn't work. How can I put this..... a lot of our traffic are the chaps obsessing about free sites. They do not want to spend money; they are not consumers of the stuff our context might sell who are receptive to embedded links (such as viglink provide).

We already have an underwear firm on the rotator who deliver to the FSU, sales from here are zero. Remember, 95% or more of our traffic never get on a plane, so don't buy flowers or underwear like you or I might.

Aside from Google ads that deliver based on location and browsing history, which we cant have any more, I am led to think we must cater to the 95% of our traffic, those who are mostly silent, that never get on a plane. We must cater to our browsing demographic and use pay-per-click over pay-per-purchase. Most readers here are single low/middle income, middle aged American men. They are adult media consumers.

I see little option other than some adult ads.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
How can I put this..... a lot of our traffic are the chaps obsessing about free sites. They do not want to spend money;
What a great prospects for eventual brides... (:)

:duh:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
You gentlemen are not helping the cause here.  (:)

If you levy a one-dollar fine for each stupid post, your coffers shall runneth over.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »

The late great Bon Scott once sang out,

''And roll them loaded dice
Bring on the dancin' girls and put the Champagne on ice
I'm goin' in
To sin city''

:party0031:   

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
What I personally would buy if you had the links here would be discount travel. I need hotel rooms and plane tickets. I do not need underware or sex sites. I would not stop coming here if they have their add here but would not buy.

Other things I buy is English classes, Driving classes, and photography classes for her in the Ukraine. Flowers in the Ukraine that are not too expensive. For English I am using AEC American English Center I very much like their service. She is learning very fast and very little cost. They have centers all across the Ukraine and number of other FSU countries.

When I was first looking; dating services. I did click on some of your adds then but I did not used them. I also bought your book. Maybe members that bought your book maybe more willing to spend money. Maybe a special page for dating services where on this page their are only dating services where you get paid per click, No chat or forum just adds for those who are looking for dating services. Maybe the dating services here could offer your members a discount on some services to encourage them to use this site to access their service.

Personally I think when the war in the Ukraine ends it will likely be a big boom for this business.

Maybe you should try to get other members to talk about what they do buy.

Online NS1

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 02:55:27 AM »
You have changed the direction of the site slightly.
How are your numbers now compared to before the change?
Has it been long enough to see numbers?
Your site, how its run and the target group
you wish to grow here has a direct relation to advertising.
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »
To those suggesting the kind of ads that YOU'D like to see: it does not really work like that. ;)

You see, if Manny decides that, for example, a flower delivery banner is a good idea he has to go find a firm and either sell them ad space OR research an affiliate offer, place the ads of his choice and wait to see what happens.

Usually, on a general interest site such as this that is read by the demographic he has mentioned the affiliate sales will be looooooow. But the time taken to research the opportunities is hiiiiiigh!

Even if using an affiliate network such as Commission Junction which aggregates offers the problems still exist - the overhead of time and wait for money.

So, you are back to contextual ad serving and they have the issues that Manny has already outlined.

Single lonely men DO buy sex though. I mean, lets be right, most of the people glomming on pics of imaginary Russian women do so with a box of tissues close at hand. They provide socially acceptable wank fodder for those single, lonely men.

What I would suggest Manny does though is this: Load up the site with a decent adult ad serving network AND offer a fixed subscription membership -  fee, paid monthly or annually (annually might be best) in which the main benefit is that ALL advertising is removed from the site. The secondary benefit should be that access to the currently free but restricted areas of the site should only be available to paying members.

Of course cheapskates such as Westcoast will continue to freeload, but then those folks will only be on the public boards. ;)

If you chose you could set the membership fee, after you have acquired data, at a level that provides income replacement for the ads no longer shown. By that I mean you can calculate the monthly revenue per visitor and charge the subs on the basis of repalcing their lost ad revenue, perhaps with a discount.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A. underWARE
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »

I do not need underware or sex sites.

Me too, I do not need underware sites - though I don't have anything against underwear (e.g. stockings advertising  :knit:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

What I would suggest Manny does though is this: Load up the site with a decent adult ad serving network AND offer a fixed subscription membership -  fee, paid monthly or annually (annually might be best) in which the main benefit is that ALL advertising is removed from the site.

So, Andrew, how high do you suggest subscription fee to be - AND do you think the amount shall be the same for men and women?  :knit:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Olga, why should it be different for men or women?

As I noted above a sensible goal could be to charge a fee that represents a replacement of the ad revenue from the average user. Of course that assumes that advertising produces enough revenue to cover expenses and profits (if that is a goal). Exactly how those lines might be drawn is a choice for management, they know the numbers and goals.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
To those suggesting the kind of ads that YOU'D like to see: it does not really work like that. ;)

You see, if Manny decides that, for example, a flower delivery banner is a good idea he has to go find a firm and either sell them ad space OR research an affiliate offer, place the ads of his choice and wait to see what happens.

Usually, on a general interest site such as this that is read by the demographic he has mentioned the affiliate sales will be looooooow. But the time taken to research the opportunities is hiiiiiigh!

Even if using an affiliate network such as Commission Junction which aggregates offers the problems still exist - the overhead of time and wait for money.

So, you are back to contextual ad serving and they have the issues that Manny has already outlined.

Single lonely men DO buy sex though. I mean, lets be right, most of the people glomming on pics of imaginary Russian women do so with a box of tissues close at hand. They provide socially acceptable wank fodder for those single, lonely men.

What I would suggest Manny does though is this: Load up the site with a decent adult ad serving network AND offer a fixed subscription membership -  fee, paid monthly or annually (annually might be best) in which the main benefit is that ALL advertising is removed from the site. The secondary benefit should be that access to the currently free but restricted areas of the site should only be available to paying members.

Of course cheapskates such as Westcoast will continue to freeload, but then those folks will only be on the public boards. ;)

If you chose you could set the membership fee, after you have acquired data, at a level that provides income replacement for the ads no longer shown. By that I mean you can calculate the monthly revenue per visitor and charge the subs on the basis of repalcing their lost ad revenue, perhaps with a discount.

Perhaps before Manny does anything he should do some research on how many people use ad blocking software. If users can't see the ads there's not much chance they'll be using them.

Remember if Manny charges fees RUA members have other options. another forum is still quite active and I'm sure they'd welcome new members. RMP doesn't seem that active however an infusion of former RUA members might liven the place up.

After Andrew's DOARB and PLM debacle I doubt he should be giving anyone advice about anything.  :laugh:
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon