The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Cuisine  (Read 10360 times)

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Cuisine
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
Just taking a little look around the web and came across this site, aimed at our US friends, anyone opinions on these recipes?

http://www.ruscuisine.com

Also looking for some more traditional Russian produce, anyone suggestions on how get typical Russian goods here in the UK?

Stupidly I'm trying to get Cottage Cheese, any idea's?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Russian Cuisine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »

I'm not in the UK, so my advice might not be helpful. But where I live there are no Russian markets, but we can get some Russian products in the Polish markets. I went out with one FSUW here who tipped me off to that.

Also, have you looked for a cheese called "Farmer's Cheese"?

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
Been to one of the larger Polski shops here, apparently they're not quite on the grade for cottage cheese lol

I think "Farmer's Cheese" would perhaps have a different meaning here Larry, we're quite a countryfied bunch, farmers anything tends to mean it's local......

I'll keep looking, there has be something here that's similar, can't believe the local russian cottage cheese that's so delicious isn't a european product !!! (guessing)
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
The polish shops are usually a good source. The one we use is part owned by a Ukrainian guy, so they have everything. I'd try another Polish shop; there is no shortage of them......
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »

Aghh, it's not stupid, but the most elaborate decision, cottage cheese is great for you  ;D If you don't find any in shops, i can give you the recipe how my mother makes it from milk and kefir, it's delicious ;)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
The polish shops are usually a good source. The one we use is part owned by a Ukrainian guy, so they have everything. I'd try another Polish shop; there is no shortage of them......

I'll try that, I had assumed (stupidly!) they'd stock pretty much similar stuff, there's plenty around here, keep me busy!

Aghh, it's not stupid, but the most elaborate decision, cottage cheese is great for you  ;D If you don't find any in shops, i can give you the recipe how my mother makes it from milk and kefir, it's delicious ;)

Now there's an offer I can't refuse!! Yes I'd love to try and make something authentic like this, if you'd like to share it I will post a picture of my efforts?!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

Now there's an offer I can't refuse!! Yes I'd love to try and make something authentic like this, if you'd like to share it I will post a picture of my efforts?!

Mama Volshe will be more than happy, she loves participating at the forum indirectly ;) Let me "interview" her, write down the instructions and i'll post them latest tomorrow morning  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »

Yes the Polish shops are usually a good bet, but you might have to try a few to find a good one. My wife buys cottage cheese from one near us, but it took a few attempts at others to find one she likes.
Слава Україні

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »

Yes the Polish shops are usually a good bet, but you might have to try a few to find a good one. My wife buys cottage cheese from one near us, but it took a few attempts at others to find one she likes.

Same here with Polish shops. The one closest to me has a Ukie chic working there and lots of EE "stuff". They're a little pricy though because I think they think they've got you by the balls if you want that kind of stuff in my area. They'd be right :-)

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »
Just taking a little look around the web and came across this site, aimed at our US friends, anyone opinions on these recipes?

http://www.ruscuisine.com

Also looking for some more traditional Russian produce, anyone suggestions on how get typical Russian goods here in the UK?

We must be talking about different products because I know for a fact, cottage cheese is widely available in all supermarkets??

Edit - try twarog cheese in the polish sections of Sainsbury etc.

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »

Same here with Polish shops. The one closest to me has a Ukie chic working there and lots of EE "stuff". They're a little pricy though because I think they think they've got you by the balls if you want that kind of stuff in my area. They'd be right :-)

I'd wager that the import costs to the US for the real stuff makes it pricey. Rather like the 'British' shops here and there in the US, where expats can buy Branston, Marmite and Brown Sauce, etc. Yes, a jar of Marmite may cost $3 in the UK, but by the time someone has taken it to the US it is quite rightly $10.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »

Yes, I think we are on our 4th. The one we have now the staff speak Russian/Ukrainian, they have the 'proper' cottage cheese I am told, and also the 'proper' pelmeni that apparently comes from Germany with meat that can actually be identified.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »

I'd wager that the import costs to the US for the real stuff makes it pricey. Rather like the 'British' shops here and there in the US, where expats can buy Branston, Marmite and Brown Sauce, etc. Yes, a jar of Marmite may cost $3 in the UK, but by the time someone has taken it to the US it is quite rightly $10.

Yes and no. That's probably part of it. The other factor is that the one in question is well over an hour west of NYC and thus consumers don't have the option to be fussy. It's a "take it or leave it" scenario. Oh well, I don't go in there often but when I do it's partly to just flirt with the Ukrainian chic anyway.

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
It's a "take it or leave it" scenario.

No, that cant be true in an Eastern European shop can it?  :chuckle:

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
Keep trying regular supermarkets, and have a Russian person who have lived where you are for a long time identify it for you. The western food industry supplies plenty of foods that would fully satisfy Russian customers or those who like Russian food. Unfortunately, sometimes you can only discover them by trying. There is only very few items left that I buy in Russian/Polish stores nowadays. "Tvorog" (Russian-style cottage cheese) is not one of them. In the US it is indeed called Farmer's cheese, while in Canada (Quebec, to be specific) it is sold under the name "fromage frais", smooth variety, or something like that, can't remember with 100% certainty. There must be something in UK too.

Making it from Kefir is a good option, but too much hassle for something that is readily available anywhere I've lived. Kefir is expensive, by the way, unless you make it yourself, which takes two days.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »

:laugh: Yeah, typical eh?

Offline Lon

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »
  Uh, no.  Not at the Russian grocery store the Mrs. and I frequent   http://www.marvelfoodanddeli.com/   .  The girls are always very polite and relatively cheerful.  Besides, for every $30 spent there, you can get a free cappoccino or a ice cream  :biggrin:

:laugh: Yeah, typical eh?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:01 PM »
Ah, I see that you live in the PNW, Lon. Lovely  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »
Keep trying regular supermarkets, and have a Russian person who have lived where you are for a long time identify it for you. The western food industry supplies plenty of foods that would fully satisfy Russian customers or those who like Russian food. Unfortunately, sometimes you can only discover them by trying. There is only very few items left that I buy in Russian/Polish stores nowadays. "Tvorog" (Russian-style cottage cheese) is not one of them. In the US it is indeed called Farmer's cheese, while in Canada (Quebec, to be specific) it is sold under the name "fromage frais", smooth variety, or something like that, can't remember with 100% certainty. There must be something in UK too.

Making it from Kefir is a good option, but too much hassle for something that is readily available anywhere I've lived. Kefir is expensive, by the way, unless you make it yourself, which takes two days.

We have fromage frais here too, but its not the same as the Polish sold cottage cheese.
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:47:08 AM »

We must be talking about different products because I know for a fact, cottage cheese is widely available in all supermarkets??

Edit - try twarog cheese in the polish sections of Sainsbury etc.

Tried all of the cottage cheese types available in my local sainsbury's, not quite up to rusky standards apparently, will take a looking the larger sainsbury's store...

Like most things in our supermarkets they're never quite as good as those available in russian supermarkets, strawberry's for example aren't even put in the trolly nowadays as they don't have any taste LOL

Yes, I think we are on our 4th. The one we have now the staff speak Russian/Ukrainian, they have the 'proper' cottage cheese I am told, and also the 'proper' pelmeni that apparently comes from Germany with meat that can actually be identified.

There's quite a growing population of russian's around where i live with many a polski shop opening here and there, never quite in the area's I'd normally stop and take a look round, i'll get myself one of those crook locks and see what we can find.

Didn't realise Cottage Cheese was so popular, never even tried it before ! Cheers all.

Offline Chris

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »

Like most things in our supermarkets they're never quite as good as those available in russian supermarkets, strawberry's for example aren't even put in the trolly nowadays as they don't have any taste LOL

Tell her it depends on when you buy them, we went through that, but if you buy British strawberry's (not Spanish) at the right time of year, early May to July and sometimes depending on the weather conditions, you can still get good ones through to September, (can you see I have already done the strawberry hide and seek!  :chuckle: ) then they are as good as you can get anywhere and certainly pass the FSUW test  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 02:57:26 AM »

they have the 'proper' cottage cheese I am told, and also the 'proper' pelmeni that apparently comes from Germany with meat that can actually be identified.

Oh well, I don't go in there often but when I do it's partly to just flirt with the Ukrainian chic anyway.

;D ;D ;D
Douglas Adams

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 03:18:58 AM »

Tell her it depends on when you buy them, we went through that, but if you buy British strawberry's (not Spanish) at the right time of year, early May to July and sometimes depending on the weather conditions, you can still get good ones through to September, (can you see I have already done the strawberry hide and seek!  :chuckle: ) then they are as good as you can get anywhere and certainly pass the FSUW test  :)

Interestingly a friend of mine grows strawberry's for the supermarkets, I asked him why our strawberry's don't taste as good as those in other countries....

His answer was that in order for a strawberry to taste sweet they require plenty of sunshine, the more sunshine the sweeter tasting strawberry, so in times when we have a late starting summer the strawberry's are not going to be as sweet as perhaps the later crops.

What my other half says about our fruit and veg is that they're all force grown and this is why they don't taste as good as the locally produced stuff they have in Russia, as her family grow much of what they eat, old habits die hard.

I again asked my farmer friend about this and he said that they are technically force grown in tents, although he thought that with the appropriate amount of sunshine they'd be very little difference in taste. It's that little bit that matters ha ha.

Still, she does enjoy those strawberry's available during summer months, she's a keen eye for those that are ripe and tasty and those that have zero flavour, of course I agree and move on, everyone's happy!

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »

Interestingly a friend of mine grows strawberry's for the supermarkets, I asked him why our strawberry's don't taste as good as those in other countries....

His answer was that in order for a strawberry to taste sweet they require plenty of sunshine, the more sunshine the sweeter tasting strawberry, so in times when we have a late starting summer the strawberry's are not going to be as sweet as perhaps the later crops.

What my other half says about our fruit and veg is that they're all force grown and this is why they don't taste as good as the locally produced stuff they have in Russia, as her family grow much of what they eat, old habits die hard.

I again asked my farmer friend about this and he said that they are technically force grown in tents, although he thought that with the appropriate amount of sunshine they'd be very little difference in taste. It's that little bit that matters ha ha.

Still, she does enjoy those strawberry's available during summer months, she's a keen eye for those that are ripe and tasty and those that have zero flavour, of course I agree and move on, everyone's happy!

That probably is true, but you would think Spanish ones would be much better in that case, but I can assure you they aren't, not compared to the British ones as I described above anyway, but as long as the other half is happy that's all that matters hey Ash  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:01 AM »
That probably is true, but you would think Spanish ones would be much better in that case, but I can assure you they aren't, not compared to the British ones as I described above anyway, but as long as the other half is happy that's all that matters hey Ash  :-X

I did think that as I wrote, there's a good answer for it but it escapes me.

Same as Broccoli, that's grown in Lincolnshire start of year, then Cornwall later, then comes via Spain, that latter being less tasty than the locally produced stuff, I got the same answer, must be something in it.

Likewise majority of fruit & veg is grown by same suppliers for likes of Sainsbury's, ASDA, Tescos etc as Aldi, ones cheaper than the other (same product) but the Sainsbury's version is preferred, you have to laugh.