The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The custom to/not to take off shoes/sandals at the entrance  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Fashionista

Re: The custom to/not to take off shoes/sandals at the entrance
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
There is a solution many Russians follow. If you'd like to wear shoes inside someone else's house, bring a clean pair with you.

Offline Justmd

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
To this day (more then one year now) she gives me "the look" when I walk into our home without removing my shoes...is what it is.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Russian educate children to respect and diligence. In this case: to respect the work of others! Upon entering the room to remove their shoes or use a replacement. My little grandson (1 year 8 months) immediately grabs the rag to wipe off the dirt for the guests at the door. Spring, however! :chuckle:

Offline Anathema

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »
I always take off my shoes in my house and usually when a guest in other's.  There's some exceptions.  I've been in some filthy homes and when the floor is disgusting I keep my shoes on. The owner obviously doesn't care, why should I.

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Speaking about shoes/sandals and dirt...

What do all you pet owners do when your dog/cat etc. returns home from a walk?
Do you wash/clean their paws each time?

Sometimes I'll wipe my dog's paws with a towel if they're wet depending on when my floor was cleaned last or when it will be cleaned again. So yes, some pet owners do wipe off their dog's feet if it's really nasty out.

I would be hung if i walked in with shoes on :hidechair: But the cat can get away with murder :'(

But you dont hear me complain about her bathing me  ;D Meanwhile blue muder is happening when she baths the cat  :chuckle:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:31 AM »
There is a solution many Russians follow.
If you'd like to wear shoes inside someone else's house, bring a clean pair with you.

That's why I always pack up the second pair of hotel slippers (after using the first one inside the hotel...)  :-X
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:40 AM »
There is a solution many Russians follow.
If you'd like to wear shoes inside someone else's house, bring a clean pair with you.

That's why I always pack up the second pair of hotel slippers (after using the first one inside the hotel...)  :-X

Now there's a person who does single occupancy in hotels. :)

The second pair isn't spares you know!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline krassavchick

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:23 AM »

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees...

Neruda, Love Poem XIV

Lovely photo Annushka.  :thumbsup:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
also, for the guy to have perfectly clean shoes
Yeah, the shoes thing is really important in our house - lost count of the amount of times I've been moaned at for having dirty shoes :(
Not a bad thing really. Think of all the crap one steps in, would you really want that in your house!!!

Interesting topic: The custom to/not to take off shoes/sandals in the entrance.
Not sure its a custom thing more good etiquette than anything else - when I was a child I was always taught to take my shoes off when I would enter my own house or somebody else’s - all my friends parents when I was a child commented on my good manners - I still do it now!

My wife’s thing when it comes to shoes is - dirty uppers - not polished etc......

My job involves visiting dusty areas most days - this requires cleaning everyday or I get hell :hidechair:
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »
A gentleman always has shoes that are in good condition. He does not need a mother or wife to arrange such basics - his man (butler) should make sure that his master is always well turned out.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees...

“Behold, the Spring has come; the earth has received the embraces of the sun and we shall soon see the results of that love!

Every seed is awakened and so has all animal life. It is through this mysterious power that we too have our being

Sitting Bull
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
I simply do what I want in my house, after all I'm a real man.

My wife doesn't even dare complain about the trench marks on the carpet from where I drag my knuckles and balls around.  :smokin:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »
A gentleman always has shoes that are in good condition. He does not need a mother or wife to arrange such basics - his man (butler) should make sure that his master is always well turned out.
Yep. Takes some $$$ to maintain a proper butler, but he is worth it (Jerome K. Jerome's novels come to mind, LOVE HIM  ;D)

“Behold, the Spring has come; the earth has received the embraces of the sun and we shall soon see the results of that love!

Every seed is awakened and so has all animal life. It is through this mysterious power that we too have our being

Sitting Bull

Beautiful...  :thumbsup:

My wife doesn't even dare complain about the trench marks on the carpet from where I drag my knuckles and balls around.  :smokin:

Me too, i do whatever i want, after all, i am the mistress of the house...

and i am the cleaning lady too  ;D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Manny

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »

Translation: I have my slippers in the porch.  :chuckle:

I have a six year old who if I am mooching about the house in shoes will exclaim loudly "Oooorrrr, Mummy, naughty Daddy doesn't have his slippers on".

Most Brits don't remove shoes. And visitors don't expect to unless they encounter a pristine white carpet, although it is a good custom that imports fewer germs. We compromised: We don't have carpets downstairs so it is easy to clean. Shoes are optional for visitors; we generally use slippers ourselves. Outdoor shoes don't go upstairs full stop.

Most couples we know here tend to do similar. After all, if you are invited for dinner or something, women like to maintain their look throughout the evening, and that means keeping their heels on.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »

Translation: I have my slippers in the porch.  :chuckle:

Was it that obvious? I've never wore slippers until I met Mrs Rosco. I was a socks around the house guy until I received a pair of Austrailian wool slippers....now I need a new pair because they're worn out!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »
Was it that obvious?

You strike me as the kind of bloke who will be responsive to his wife's cultural norms when they also make practical sense. I bet also you wash your hands more than you ever did before.  :)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
Was it that obvious?

You strike me as the kind of bloke who will be responsive to his wife's cultural norms when they also make practical sense. I bet also you wash your hands more than you ever did before.  :)

Absolutely, I'm reminded daily that a happy wife is a happy house!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2015, 04:04:35 AM »
Another good reason to take your shoes off in Russia , has anyone noticed the Russians have a disgustingly filthy habit of spitting every where!
Usually the streets are full of flem  :sick0012: every few feet sometimes(( I always hop over the disgusting stuff!!

I wouldn't fancy walking in the house with some of that stuff on the soles of my shoes.  :sick0012:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »
Another good reason to take your shoes off in Russia , has anyone noticed the Russians have a disgustingly filthy habit of spitting every where!
Usually the streets are full of flem  :sick0012: every few feet sometimes(( I always hop over the disgusting stuff!!

I wouldn't fancy walking in the house with some of that stuff on the soles of my shoes.  :sick0012:

If that's your pet phobia then don't go to Finland.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »

If that's your pet phobia then don't go to Finland.

I never noticed in Finland before. I will be passing through next month so keep my eyes to the ground :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
When you are standing on train platforms or bus stops, phlegm, flobb, grolly, street oysters!
uggghhh!

Offline Justmd

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »

What do you base this on? how many travels/trips have you been on? For instance my wife only asked to remove shoes because Karaganda (as she said) was a dirty city...

Offline Borsch

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
In Ukraine I rented an apartment and the owner came one day for some maintenance. I was walking around barefoot and he offered me some house slippers to wear.

I've always just taken off shoes at the entrance to my home. Floor gets cleaned quite often and if everyone takes their shoes off it stays clean. In carpeted areas it's clean enough to sit and lie down on. It's not exactly like the floor of a pub or anything you wouldn't want to touch.

Guests typically will get asked to remove their shoes but not always such as some party. Certain areas like bedrooms are typically off limits for them anyway so they say clean. Some girls tend to be shy of their feet for some reason and prefer they didn't have to take them off.

On the flip side, these 2 guys who used to rent a home together had the worst cleanliness. Their floor was practically never cleaned thoroughly and would regularly have food/drink/ash tipped on it. While the majority would get wiped up, the underlying mess was still there. Shoes were always worn and guests were never told to take them off thankfully  :chuckle: Some people talk about the 10 second rule when dropping food and eating it again, this home was known to have a 0 or negative second rule  :chuckle: They did end up moving out of there and had a new cleaner no shoe policy installed  ;D

Registration