The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World  (Read 42904 times)

Offline GriffinCO

• Trips: 1-5
Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
I thought this should probably go in the jokes thread.   :chuckle:

But it's believable enough he'd say something like this, so I put it here instead.  :)

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/02/putin-russia-military-power/

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
That isn't what he said. Read the source and you wouldn't make these gaffes. As usual, we see media distortion, and a quote taken out of context before it is twisted.

What he actually said, during a speech to veterans for Defender of the Fatherland Day was:

Comrades, we all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.

No one should harbour any illusions about it being possible to achieve military supremacy over Russia or to use pressure against us in any way or form. Russia will always have an adequate response to any such reckless actions.

«We all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.»

Our soldiers and officers have shown that they are ready to act decisively, with coordinated precision, professionalism and courage to carry out even the most difficult and novel missions, as befits a well-trained and experienced modern army that preserves its traditions and military spirit and is constantly improving and setting the highest modern standards as its benchmark.

We have done much over these last years to make our military command system more efficient and build up groups of troops in the areas of greatest strategic importance. We are successfully carrying out an ambitious programme to modernise the army and navy, including active modernisation of our air and space defences and nuclear forces. This is the guarantee of global parity.

We will continue to do everything needed to ensure that the armed forces continue to build up their capability. I want to stress that we will carry out our military development plans no matter what the circumstances, and there should be no doubt about this.

Read it all in context for yourself from the horses mouth: http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23632
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
I thought this should probably go in the jokes thread.   :chuckle:

But it's believable enough he'd say something like this, so I put it here instead.  :)

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/02/putin-russia-military-power/

It might be believable, but only to you, sweetie... Here is the speech in original (the transcript)

http://kremlin.ru/transcripts/47720

"За последние годы многое сделано для повышения эффективности системы военного управления, для формирования группировок войск на важнейших стратегических направлениях. Успешно реализуется масштабная программа перевооружения армии и флота, в том числе активно совершенствуется система воздушно-космической обороны и ядерные силы. Это гарантия глобального паритета.

Будем и впредь делать всё необходимое, чтобы Вооружённые Силы уверенно наращивали свой потенциал. Подчеркну: при любых обстоятельствах планы военного строительства будут выполнены, в этом нет никакого сомнения."

ETA Manny, you and i cross-posted. This:

We have done much over these last years to make our military command system more efficient and build up groups of troops in the areas of greatest strategic importance. We are successfully carrying out an ambitious programme to modernise the army and navy, including active modernisation of our air and space defences and nuclear forces. This is the guarantee of global parity.

We will continue to do everything needed to ensure that the armed forces continue to build up their capability. I want to stress that we will carry out our military development plans no matter what the circumstances, and there should be no doubt about this.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
That isn't what he said. Read the source and you wouldn't make these gaffes. As usual, we see media distortion, and a quote taken out of context before it is twisted.

What he actually said, during a speech to veterans for Defender of the Fatherland Day was:

Comrades, we all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.

No one should harbour any illusions about it being possible to achieve military supremacy over Russia or to use pressure against us in any way or form. Russia will always have an adequate response to any such reckless actions.

«We all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.»

Our soldiers and officers have shown that they are ready to act decisively, with coordinated precision, professionalism and courage to carry out even the most difficult and novel missions, as befits a well-trained and experienced modern army that preserves its traditions and military spirit and is constantly improving and setting the highest modern standards as its benchmark.

Read it all in context for yourself from the horses mouth: http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23632

The horse's mouth in question has lost all credibility in a large percentage of the world.  (:)

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »
Doesn't alter the facts Gupster, that isn't what he said. I know facts can sometimes be inconvenient over the pond as they distort your view of reality.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline GriffinCO

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
I thought it was probably taken out of context but the headline was too funny to pass up. After all Putin did just say how embarrassing it must be to lose to farmers and coal miners. Then have reports come out of Russian media about Russian involvement in that battle.

America may not want to tangle with Russia, but the thought that it was superior to the US military gave me a chuckle.

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
but the thought that it was superior to the US military gave me a chuckle.

I suppose it might depend on how you define superiority. Despite a large military, you lot seem to not do awfully well with the many wars that you start; usually against blokes riding camels. Have you ever taken on a military comparable to Russia? I don't recall you have. It wouldn't be like dropping bombs on Muslims in the desert with a few drones. That I think is the message that was meant to go out there. That and the fact they heard your war drums already and wont roll over.

Offline GriffinCO

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »

I suppose it might depend on how you define superiority. Despite a large military, you lot seem to not do awfully well with the many wars that you start; usually against blokes riding camels. Have you ever taken on a military comparable to Russia? I don't recall you have. It wouldn't be like dropping bombs on Muslims in the desert with a few drones. That I think is the message that was meant to go out there. That and the fact they heard your war drums already and wont roll over.
I'm glad you bring that up, Manny. Actually I do know the differences brewery the two conventional forces. Russia is still playing catch up and is about 15 years away from being able to match America's current capability.

Their Navy is in shambles (only one half way working aircraft carrier) and their Air Force isn't much better.

There were never any real war drums from the US. Russia knows it cannot hope to match the US in a conventional engagement, thus all the nuclear saber rattling for the last 6-12 months.

So be proud of Putin and the Russian military's success against an army that was virtually non-existent before this conflict started. But I'll advise you not to get delusions of adequacy against the United States military.

Take a queue from Putin, as you typically do, and understand Russia's distant second position as the world's most powerful combat nation.

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
Take a queue from Putin, as you typically do, and understand Russia's distant second position as the world's most powerful combat nation.

Isn't China militarily more capable placing Russia lower than second? That's more your subject than mine.

I don't think its really a question of who is "number one", rather who would be a pushover. And Russia simply wouldn't be.

Your lot are stretched around the world in your current wars, no doubt Venezuela is on the hit list as well as haven't you just failed with a regime change there? And your ISIS mess will take some fixing en route to a Syria invasion. I know there are a lot of you, but can you simultaneously spread democracy invade everywhere at once? It seems doubtful doesn't it?

Offline zhdatdlyatebya

• Spouses Country: RU
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
isn't it national forgiveness day in Russia, today..I so miss Mendy
была не была - come what may

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »
Your lot are stretched around the world in your current wars, no doubt Venezuela is on the hit list as well as haven't you just failed with a regime change there? And your ISIS mess will take some fixing en route to a Syria invasion. I know there are a lot of you, but can you simultaneously spread democracy invade everywhere at once? It seems doubtful doesn't it?

Well there's always your lot to give them a hand like they usually do.  ;D

Offline zhdatdlyatebya

• Spouses Country: RU
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »

Like Putin's Russia hasn't tried regime change, undermining western leaning leaderships in it's immediate neighbors, Manny

IS came about because of a power vacuum - helped along by Russia and China ensuring Assad could remain in power and oppress calls for democracy.

The US has been supplanted as the nation most likely to cause wars. 

была не была - come what may

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
Quote from: Moby
IS came about because of a power vacuum - helped along by Russia and China ensuring Assad could remain in power and oppress calls for democracy.

IS came about because the US funded and trained them to do some dirty work. Really Moby, do some reading: http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/08/22/realize-u-s-funded-trained-isis-right/

Offline GriffinCO

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »

Isn't China militarily more capable placing Russia lower than second? That's more your subject than mine.

I don't think its really a question of who is "number one", rather who would be a pushover. And Russia simply wouldn't be.

Russia is definitely more powerful than China...China does not even have strategic bombers or a blue water capable fleet.  And Russia is no pushover, I agree there.

As for the other countries, we're winding down our invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.  Venezuela is small peanuts and imploding.  And Obama doesn't like to invade anyone anymore...downright un-American of him.  While that sounds like it's good news, we're consolidating our forces and are likely to have a Republican for our next president who won't be as shy about using them.

As for me, I personally think we should stay out of as many military conflicts as possible.  Let the entire middle east implode, we can be self-sufficient with oil now.  Russia is pretty well cornered between the expansion of NATO, China and the Pacific.  Continue to pull the strings to undermine Russian and Chinese interests.  Project power on occasion as a reminder to the world we're there.

Really, when I think about it we're an unpredictable bunch.  Managing the U.S. as a foreign power has got to be hair-pulling for everyone else.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
USA is listed #1
Russia # 2
China # 3,
But go and read, list of equipment,
Russia has massive amount of tanks
and some out dated armour trucks.
But with Planes and modern equipment, it is not even close.

Manny in manny of those little side wars, the US only sent a small amount of gear.
If they sent half their ships and planes, it would not be long Putin
would push that big red button, to try and win.
I think he is crazy enough to do it too :D
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world before the first Gulf war. As Griffin says, we are many years ahead of the others in regards to our military strength. Our newest weapons come out of science fiction movies. Our failures lie with occupying and stabilizing a region afterwards.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »

Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world before the first Gulf war. As Griffin says, we are many years ahead of the others in regards to our military strength. Our newest weapons come out of science fiction movies. Our failures lie with occupying and stabilizing a region afterwards.

WTF Manny are you smoking wet hasish or is it just too much vodka  - OBL DEAD, Saddam Hussein DEAD, Qadaffy DEAD - One Quarter Million Al Qaeda Jihadis DEAD, 1 Million+ ISIS Members give or take 200,000+/- active fighters from Iraq to Libya, Mali and Morocco ( They are already targets) - our Military is breathtakingly dedicated and professional and capable, a 100+ on a scale of one to ten. Our incompetent politicians however are a -100. 

The war we (UK, NATO & USA) are fighting with Radical Islam is multi-generational with people who want to behead and immolate you and all those you love.  We are stopping them where they live before they spread to your homes and shopping centers along with your home grown ISIS Training Mosques all across the UK.

Fortunately there are a lot of young loyal UK blokes who both train and fight along side of us and are the hope for the future of your Politically Correct Social Justice Warrior confused empire.

Even though you are incredibly anti allies and ungrateful you are never the less welcome.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

Russia is definitely more powerful than China...China does not even have strategic bombers or a blue water capable fleet.  And Russia is no pushover, I agree there.

As for the other countries, we're winding down our invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.  Venezuela is small peanuts and imploding.  And Obama doesn't like to invade anyone anymore...downright un-American of him.  While that sounds like it's good news, we're consolidating our forces and are likely to have a Republican for our next president who won't be as shy about using them.

As for me, I personally think we should stay out of as many military conflicts as possible.  Let the entire middle east implode, we can be self-sufficient with oil now.  Russia is pretty well cornered between the expansion of NATO, China and the Pacific.  Continue to pull the strings to undermine Russian and Chinese interests.  Project power on occasion as a reminder to the world we're there.

Really, when I think about it we're an unpredictable bunch.  Managing the U.S. as a foreign power has got to be hair-pulling for everyone else.

Griff for prez. I'd agree with much of your politics.

Offline SOUTHERN X

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
Even though you are incredibly anti allies and ungrateful you are never the less welcome.

cufflinks ,
until the real totality of the evil out there in the world hits home to manny he will take the neville chamberlin road of action

its not on his doorstep , se he can still look at it through his rose coloured glasses while watching RT in the sunroom
SX

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »

cufflinks ,
until the real totality of the evil out there in the world hits home to manny he will take the neville chamberlin road of action

its not on his doorstep , so he can still look at it through his rose coloured glasses while watching RT in the sunroom
SX

There are a lot of young OZ blokes fighting along with us as solid allies - thank them and buy them a beer for me too when you see them.

Offline allan624

• Livin The Dream
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »
To all the true believers:

I am really glad that so many individuals on this Site are so Pro-Russian that any rational discussion about Russian strength or aggression are dismissed.  I have found that when individuals can't accept the facts or have their minds made up they will immediately go into their default arguments of "well it is you that are being influenced by Western media...Oh no my media gives me nothing but the facts".  These True Believers are so vested with their views that they are blinded by them.  This is actually a good thing.

As an ex-military man with black ops. experience, the biggest advantage any military force can have, is an adversary that truly does believe it is Superior.  Most countries with weak Armed Forces can do one thing...That is beat their chest and Bloviate...sound familiar???  This behavior is all factored into the mix.  The US does not get all concerned when Russian fighters violate our air space in Alaska or the Gulf of Mexico.  No we actually scramble some old fighters from our National Guard units and shoo them away.  These intruders never see the super fast technical advanced fighters with lazer mounted weapons....those are in hangers far away.

As I have mentioned in this forum before.  It is really quite simple.  A Socialistic or Communistic government/country will NEVER be able to out think or out produce a free market democracy.  It is in the human genes....people will work 10 times as hard to come up with inventions or solutions if they believe they will have a vested interest (monetarily or otherwise) in the outcome.  That means new materials, faster electronics, lazar guidance systems, smarter operating personnel...cutting edge technologies.  Why do you think we are the #1 producer of Natural Gas and Oil.....you guessed it - Our Technology.  We don't have to go steal it from some other country, we create it here.  BTW the old spy trick is to actually let your adversaries steal some of your technology giving them the false sense of Superiority, all the while the 3rd. and 4th. generation advances are already being incorporated into your weapons systems.

So you see, True Believers and Useful Idiots are very important in maintaining the advantage once the real "Shit Hits The Fan".  Once they realize they made a hugh mistake it will be all over.  One last note - Believers will always default to things like "But Russia has so many Nuclear Weapons it could destroy the world".  I hate to break it to all you Believers, but Nuclear Weapons (although formatable) are so outdated.  Technological advancements can render every one launched as useless as most of these discussion.

Keep on sniffing the glue and drinking the vodka...tear your shirt open and beat on your chest....we need you just the way you are!!!!
Life's a Journey and a Dance....Keep your feet moving forward and you'll do just fine!!!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »

cufflinks ,

its not on his doorstep , so he can still look at it through his rose coloured glasses while watching RT in the sunroom
SX

There are a lot of young OZ blokes fighting along with us as solid allies - thank them and buy them a beer for me too when you see them.

Cuffy you'll appreciate this man,
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/02/former-canadian-soldier-says-first-battle-against-isis-was-greatest-day-of-his-life/

Given the choice he would still be in the battle, killing those ISIS fighters.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »

cufflinks ,

SX

Cuffy you'll appreciate this man,
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/02/former-canadian-soldier-says-first-battle-against-isis-was-greatest-day-of-his-life/

Given the choice he would still be in the battle, killing those ISIS fighters.

For those who might be interested in following his lead. Dillon Hillier joined the 1st North American Expeditionary Force, a private organization that is providing aid to anyone who wants to help the Kurds in their fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham.

They have their own website and Facebook page.

http://www.1naef.com/

https://www.facebook.com/1stNorthAmericanExpeditionaryForce

However the Canadian government is discouraging people from joining. Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said the government had “virtually no capacity” to assist Canadians in the region. “Look at joining the Canadian Forces, look at humanitarian work,” he advised. Somehow I doubt ISIS would be allowing consular visits if they captured a Canadian fighter helping the Kurds.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/01/canadians-warned-not-to-join-fight-against-isis-as-interest-grows-among-veterans/
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline SOUTHERN X

british warmongering on russia
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
this guy might know a thing or two about aviation tactics ?
andrew in advance please dont bother with any of your rubbish responses ,  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

SX
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russian-war-planes-rehearsing-attacks-uk-airspace-british-military-chief-1489022

Russian war planes skirting British airspace are rehearsing military missions, a top defence chief has warned.

Air Chief Marshall Lord Stirrup said cases of Russian aircraft flying in international airspace near to Britain raise the risk of an air disaster involving civilian flights.

Lord Stirrup spoke up following two incidents in which Russian bombers were spotted perilously close to UK airspace in Hampshire and Cornwall. In the first incident, British Typhoon fighters were forced to escort two giant Russian bombers deep back in to international airspace

In the first incident, British Typhoon fighters were forced to escort two giant Russian bombers deep back into international airspace

Lord Stirrup said the incidents showed Russia was becoming more "aggressive" and that the missions were intended to test Britain's defences.

He raised the terrifying prospect of a Russian military bringing down a civilian jumbo jet in a mid-air collision.

"They are becoming more aggressive. These aircraft – Russian Bears for example – are not going on these very flights simply as joy rides. They are mission rehearsals," he told Sky News.
 Russian bombers intercepted over English Channel were reportedly 'carrying nuclear missile'(Shamil Zhumatov/Reuters file photo)
 "They are testing us, they are testing our defences, they are testing our reactions and they are engaging to a degree in a game of chicken and that's very dangerous.

"So we are seeing the possibility of mid-air collision, not between RAF and Russia aircraft, but between Russian aircraft and civilian aircraft, increasing."

Lord Stirrup called by boosted defence spending in order to protect Britain from increasing Russian hostility.

Ukraine is bearing the brunt of Russian aggression with Russian-backed rebels – aided by regular army units in disguise - invading eastern Ukraine for territory.

Stirrup said western countries such as Britain could place themselves in "dangerous" position by failing to maintain a credible military force

"Nato over the years, in the eyes of Putin at least, has become weak. Putin views the West as weak all round and that is a very, very dangerous position for us to be in,' he said.

"My concern is that Nato is not spending enough resource on defence. If Nato is weak or is perceived to be weak by Putin then the risk of miscalculation is much greater and our security is much lowered as a result."