The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: salsa dancing at Caribbean club in Kiev  (Read 1496 times)

Offline uksoon

• Trips: None Yet
salsa dancing at Caribbean club in Kiev
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
I'm pretty good at LA-style salsa dancing. Supposedly, this club plays salsa music and has dancing. Does anyone here have actual recent experience at this club? If so, some questions:

1) How much of the music is danceable salsa versus something else?
2) What hours does the dancing get going? When does it get crowded? Here in the United States, I prefer going to sleep at 10pm and rising at 6am, but I'm willing to adjust those hours in Europe. But I'd prefer not to hang out in the early hours of the morning.
3) What is the age level of the women? I'm looking for women in their 40's, though I'm open to younger.
4) Is there a place to check winter coats? I'll be wearing a cheap winter coat I bought at the thrift store which I plan to dump in Ukraine once weather gets warm, so no big loss if it gets stolen, but then I'd have to replace it.
5) Anything I should know about asking the women to dance? I can dance with absolute beginners, as long as they are in good physical condition and don't have sexual issues about being touched by men, but beginners tend to refuse invitations initially so the man can't fault them later when they don't dance well. Not a problem if I speak the language, however my Russian is not that good. So the question is: how much arguing does it usually take to overcome this resistance? I'm speaking mainly about women under age 25, since if older women refuse there's the possibility of a physical disability that is not apparent and I definitely lack the language skills to discuss that.

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
Re: salsa dancing at Caribbean club in Kiev
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »
1) The club is a salsa club that plays a lot of salsa music that people dance to … so I presume it’s danceable. Sunday night is the main salsa night for the hardcore locals; other nights will be mix and match pending if there is a live act on (non salsa) or theme night.

2) Sunday night never gets too busy but 10pm maybe a little early to leave. On Fridays and Saturdays is doesn’t warm up before 11 - 11:30pm.

3) Mainly 20’s and 30’s.

4) Yes and it wont get stolen.

5) Most of the girls who know how to dance well will probably be with a male partner, I would remember that. Also be aware that the occasional lady for hire visits the place.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
5) Anything I should know about asking the women to dance? I can dance with absolute beginners, as long as they are in good physical condition and don't have sexual issues about being touched by men, but beginners tend to refuse invitations initially so the man can't fault them later when they don't dance well. Not a problem if I speak the language, however my Russian is not that good. So the question is: how much arguing does it usually take to overcome this resistance? I'm speaking mainly about women under age 25, since if older women refuse there's the possibility of a physical disability that is not apparent and I definitely lack the language skills to discuss that.

The bold bits constitute food for thought.  :-\
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:10:45 PM »
Do women in Ukraine over the 30'ish age even go out to nightclubs? My wife seemed to indicate they did not and was surprised to see babushkas out and about here in the US.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
Do women in Ukraine over the 30'ish age even go out to nightclubs? My wife seemed to indicate they did not and was surprised to see babushkas out and about here in the US.

Its the disabled ones under 25 with sexual issues about being groped by a bloke of 54 you have got to watch.  :chuckle:
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline uksoon

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
1) The club is a salsa club that plays a lot of salsa music that people dance to … so I presume it’s danceable. Sunday night is the main salsa night for the hardcore locals; other nights will be mix and match pending if there is a live act on (non salsa) or theme night.

2) Sunday night never gets too busy but 10pm maybe a little early to leave. On Fridays and Saturdays is doesn’t warm up before 11 - 11:30pm.

3) Mainly 20’s and 30’s.

4) Yes and it wont get stolen.

5) Most of the girls who know how to dance well will probably be with a male partner, I would remember that. Also be aware that the occasional lady for hire visits the place.

Thanks for the information, Vinny.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »
I'm pretty good at LA-style salsa dancing. Supposedly, this club plays salsa music and has dancing. Does anyone here have actual recent experience at this club? If so, some questions:

NOTE: This is my opinion based on my vast experience at salsa dancing (ZERO).
So consider my opinion with that in mind.

I would approach this from an entirely different angle. You like salsa dancing so take a
class, it wouldn't cost much and you can meet many salsa dancers and they can show
you  the ropes, where, when, how to judge your expertise among other dancers, any
possible differences in etiquette etc. Go to the clubs with your classmates/friends
that you meet. In my opinion a new girl would be much less resistant to dancing
with you after you took one of your classmates for a spin or two around the room. 

Lastly, I recommend you comport yourself humbly rather than boastfully. Say that
you are an intermediate learner for example. I also doubt that you will find many if
any nonathletic or disabled salsa dancers in Ukraine.  This isn't a retirement home
in Florida

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline uksoon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »

NOTE: This is my opinion based on my vast experience at salsa dancing (ZERO).
So consider my opinion with that in mind.

I would approach this from an entirely different angle. You like salsa dancing so take a
class, it wouldn't cost much and you can meet many salsa dancers and they can show
you  the ropes, where, when, how to judge your expertise among other dancers, any
possible differences in etiquette etc. Go to the clubs with your classmates/friends
that you meet. In my opinion a new girl would be much less resistant to dancing
with you after you took one of your classmates for a spin or two around the room. 

Lastly, I recommend you comport yourself humbly rather than boastfully. Say that
you are an intermediate learner for example. I also doubt that you will find many if
any nonathletic or disabled salsa dancers in Ukraine.  This isn't a retirement home
in Florida

Udachi!

Bill

Does anyone know if they have lessons at the Caribbean club prior to the regular dancing? That is very common here in the United States. I'm not too enthusiastic about a salsa dance class not affiliated with a club. Those classes tend to be very young people. Ballroom is another story: mostly older people, but I'm not interested in ballroom dancing.

As for disabilities, what happens is that women with ailments end up visiting the clubs with their friends. Mainly joint problems (shoulders, hips, knees, ankles). They can walk, but they can't dance. If I ask a woman to dance and she explains she is currently lame, I'll back off immediately with a smile. But Russian is quite difficult for me and the background noise will aggravate the difficulty. I definitely don't want to urge someone onto the dance floor and hurt an already lame shoulder. That will scare all the women off from dancing with me. To reiterate, at least here in the United States, women MUST be urged to dance if they are beginners, for the reason I noted above: they are afraid the man will criticize them if they are beginners. This will be especially true if they see me dancing well with other women. They don't realize that, in general, good partner dancing is due to the leader's (man's) efforts, not the follower (woman). Though maybe sign language will be enough to get around this lameness issue.

The comment about women who don't like being touched refers to those fat ugly girls with pimples that you find in any dance environment. They know men don't want them and so they take pre-emptive action by pretending not to want the men, and sabotage the dance. There's always one or more of these in any dance environment. Protocol says the man can't refuse to dance with them in a dance class, and it is rude to refuse their invitation in clubs, though Ukraine is probably more traditional than the USA so women won't ask men to dance there in clubs. There are also sometimes physically attractive girls who hate men in clubs. You can easily spot these by watching them for a while. However, normal behavior for a man who finishes a dance with one woman is to move to the side of the floor and invite the first standing woman he comes to for a dance. He's not supposed to stare at the woman looking for signs of attitude so that the song is half over before he finally makes a move. So that's how men get stuck with these bitch types.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
Does anyone know if they have lessons at the Caribbean club prior to the regular dancing? That is very common here in the United States. I'm not too enthusiastic about a salsa dance class not affiliated with a club. Those classes tend to be very young people. Ballroom is another story: mostly older people, but I'm not interested in ballroom dancing.

Call and find out.

Caribbean Club: Афиша - Ночной клуб
caribbean.com.ua/
Symona Petlyury street, 4, Kyiv, Kyiv city, Ukraine
+380 67 224 4111

I'm not too enthusiastic about a salsa dance class not affiliated with a club. Those classes tend to be very young people. Ballroom is another story: mostly older people, but I'm not interested in ballroom dancing.

How many times have you been to the FSU?
Assuming that everything is exactly the same as in the USA is a bit silly
Call these guys the worst that can happen is you are right, however they 
are likely able to know which direction to point you.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmambo.kiev.ua%2F&edit-text=&act=url

http://www.hollywooddancestudios.com/timetable/#salsa-dance

As for disabilities, what happens is that women with ailments end up visiting the clubs with their friends. Mainly joint problems (shoulders, hips, knees, ankles). They can walk, but they can't dance. If I ask a woman to dance and she explains she is currently lame, I'll back off immediately with a smile. But Russian is quite difficult for me and the background noise will aggravate the difficulty. I definitely don't want to urge someone onto the dance floor and hurt an already lame shoulder. That will scare all the women off from dancing with me. To reiterate, at least here in the United States, women MUST be urged to dance if they are beginners, for the reason I noted above: they are afraid the man will criticize them if they are beginners. This will be especially true if they see me dancing well with other women. They don't realize that, in general, good partner dancing is due to the leader's (man's) efforts, not the follower (woman). Though maybe sign language will be enough to get around this lameness issue.

The comment about women who don't like being touched refers to those fat ugly girls with pimples that you find in any dance environment. They know men don't want them and so they take pre-emptive action by pretending not to want the men, and sabotage the dance. There's always one or more of these in any dance environment. Protocol says the man can't refuse to dance with them in a dance class, and it is rude to refuse their invitation in clubs, though Ukraine is probably more traditional than the USA so women won't ask men to dance there in clubs. There are also sometimes physically attractive girls who hate men in clubs. You can easily spot these by watching them for a while. However, normal behavior for a man who finishes a dance with one woman is to move to the side of the floor and invite the first standing woman he comes to for a dance. He's not supposed to stare at the woman looking for signs of attitude so that the song is half over before he finally makes a move. So that's how men get stuck with these bitch types.

Dewd, STOP!

Take a pill for your PMS, splash some cold water on your face, until your
hot flashes recede.

You are in serious danger of having your man card revoked.

FSU girls are not usually going to be total bitches. Maybe if you hit on teenie boppers
like you alluded to earlier then you will find a few gag reflex girls. You need to put away
your your Doctor Phil book on how to understand women. Fat girls at FSU dance clubs
only dance with other girls.

I don't know where to start giving you advice. Maybe somebody else will step in for me.
If Tom posts some advice write it down and memorize it.

In the meantime why don't you do a little research on the forum. Read the stickies and
all the trip reports.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Registration