The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK spouse visa extension, post July 2012  (Read 15165 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: UK spouse visa extension, post July 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »
My wife applied for her spouse visa extension this week and of course, was successful in her application.

Due to the nature of her work (and mine), we paid the premium service fee for the one day turnaround. This is currently circa £1000. To my surprise, we were also hit with an NHS surcharge fee of £500.

No point in debating but its pretty shite charging a person an NHS surcharge when they've been paying quite a lot of tax and national insurance over the last 2.5 years.....never mind my contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-introduces-health-surcharge

Are they 'backdating' NHS charges ?

Oddly enough you don't pay it on a Fiancee visa....
They will probably 'get you',  later

Has Nat had to pay this... I'm sorry I don't know if she acquired UK citizenship or 'only' has FT residency. I am interested in the status of those here on EU regs
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »
My wife applied for her spouse visa extension this week and of course, was successful in her application.

Due to the nature of her work (and mine), we paid the premium service fee for the one day turnaround. This is currently circa £1000. To my surprise, we were also hit with an NHS surcharge fee of £500.

No point in debating but its pretty shite charging a person an NHS surcharge when they've been paying quite a lot of tax and national insurance over the last 2.5 years.....never mind my contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-introduces-health-surcharge

Are they 'backdating' NHS charges ?

Oddly enough you don't pay it on a Fiancee visa....
They will probably 'get you',  later

Has Nat had to pay this... I'm sorry I don't know if she acquired UK citizenship or 'only' has FT residency. I am interested in the status of those here on EU regs

Became a BC in December last year, cost in visas about £5k altogether I reckon but we did it via a tortuous route as we didn't want to marry basically.

I'm a regular on immigration boards still and it's interesting to see what's happening now;

1. Lot's of checking now with HMRC to see if tax records match claimed earning - especially for those on PBS visas.

2. Tightening up of Surinder Singh route via EU, i.e. hopping to Ireland for a few months and re-entering UK as EEA citizens with no fees and no financial test.

3. Adult Dependant Visa almost impossible now, and costs £2k!!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »

So, we've navigated the next hurdle and happily await the ILR and citizenship challenge, which should make life much easier.

tip - If you're a newbie and think paying for sushi or a wee shopping trip is expensive...............this gig isn't for you!
:thumbsup:
Another hurdle overcome....
Good on you.
Yes, the NHS charge is fairly new. I thought it was a little less? Anyway, it's out of the way, just another few years for ILR and then citizenship.........

Thanks mate.

The fee is £200 per year but obviously based on the 2.5 year visa extension. The justification for charging a spouse who already contributes towards the NHS, is that they've only just started to contribute. The flip side is that they've only just started to possibly use it!!

Just another stealth tax but I see the point if we have masses of immigrants not contributing yet soaking up the NHS resources.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 03:56:55 AM »

So, we've navigated the next hurdle and happily await the ILR and citizenship challenge, which should make life much easier.

tip - If you're a newbie and think paying for sushi or a wee shopping trip is expensive...............this gig isn't for you!
:thumbsup:
Another hurdle overcome....
Good on you.
Yes, the NHS charge is fairly new. I thought it was a little less? Anyway, it's out of the way, just another few years for ILR and then citizenship.........

Thanks mate.

The fee is £200 per year but obviously based on the 2.5 year visa extension. The justification for charging a spouse who already contributes towards the NHS, is that they've only just started to contribute. The flip side is that they've only just started to possibly use it!!

Just another stealth tax but I see the point if we have masses of immigrants not contributing yet soaking up the NHS resources.

All immigrants pay the surcharge, students, spouses, PBS migrants, only visitors and fiancee don't pay, and those under EEA rules, but even they generally have to have CSI instead. Those caught halfway of course get a bum deal but there ya go!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »
Last week we submitted the wife's application for ILR, which should be the final hurdle out-with citizenship/passport.

A bargain at £2,297 at the current rates plus all the relevant documentation. I understand 12 weeks is the norm with some reporting 6 but it is what it is. I'm needing to work in a number of European countries in the coming months so thankfully they were happy for me to submit a photocopy of each page of my passport.

It's another landmark reached and we can almost see the light at the ned of the tunnel. Just thought it was worth reporting because not everything appreciates the afterwork once you meet Miss Rightska.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 10:18:32 AM »

This is a similar case to that of moby and his poor   [moby coment :sick0012:] wife. He got her in on the basis of EU citizenship, no UK visa issued, but right now she'd have to travel with him in order to access the UK. (Assuming they were still together and she had not regularised her documentation - of course)

1/ There was never any thing irregular with her or my step-son's  documentation - then or now

2/ I didn't LIVE in the UK - I lived and worked in a third EU nation - Cyprus - and applied using my IRISH citizenship.

Lest there be any doubt - the Irish passport was acquired BEFORE the EU Directive that facilitated their being allowed into the UK as my dependants .

You'll be pleased to know that IF we wanted to - SC and I could go this route again - following a landmark High Court ruling in Belfast - whereby a lass from (London) Derry was allowed to bring in her US husband  - despite the Brits claiming she was 'British' by birth ...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
Last week we submitted the wife's application for ILR, which should be the final hurdle out-with citizenship/passport.

A bargain at £2,297 at the current rates plus all the relevant documentation. I understand 12 weeks is the norm with some reporting 6 but it is what it is. I'm needing to work in a number of European countries in the coming months so thankfully they were happy for me to submit a photocopy of each page of my passport.

It's another landmark reached and we can almost see the light at the ned of the tunnel. Just thought it was worth reporting because not everything appreciates the afterwork once you meet Miss Rightska.

Well done, to you both ...  Those on the EU route that have Permanent Residency will have to re-apply for the new UK equiv  - if we ever 'Brexit' ....

Offline Wiz

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 01:34:22 AM »

Well done Rosco and hope the end is soon.

Are you keeping a list of expenses ? ........ Would be useful to know how much costs, at the end,  this kind of adventure.

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
The amount of the 'surcharge' is tiny but is obviously amortised across all the people in the group of residents from outside the UK (or is it EU?)

Given that as a non-permanent inhabitant of these beautiful isles there's no way to be able to know that a non-permanent resident is actually going to be around to pay into the system, or to continue to do so in the future, I can understand this charge. In another context, one that you were not personally involved in, you'd probably be saying that temporary migrants SHOULD pay a contribution to the NHS - I know that I would!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

Are you keeping a list of expenses ? ........ Would be useful to know how much costs, at the end,  this kind of adventure.

tiphat

This adventure is apparently not for those without steely resolve as well as ample financial assets.

Well done Rosco and Mrs. Rosco and congratulations.  tiphat

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
The amount of the 'surcharge' is tiny but is obviously amortised across all the people in the group of residents from outside the UK (or is it EU?)

Given that as a non-permanent inhabitant of these beautiful isles there's no way to be able to know that a non-permanent resident is actually going to be around to pay into the system, or to continue to do so in the future, I can understand this charge. In another context, one that you were not personally involved in, you'd probably be saying that temporary migrants SHOULD pay a contribution to the NHS - I know that I would!

I think my feathers get ruffled, because I get a sense of injustice and a lack of consistency. This may of course just be perception. Combined we pay quite a lot of tax back into the system & wifey has passed English tests & the like to prove our relationship is genuine and meeting the requirements.

I’ve yet to work out how we have droves of foreigners living in the U.K. with maroon passports, on little or no income, can’t speak a word of English and dozens of sprogs which would significantly raise the minimum income requirements.

I accept that this is part of the process and both understand why & agree that these rules are needed. It just leaves me scratching my head, when pondering how some other communities get round it.

Still......we’re almost there and look forward to leaving the red tape behind us.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »

tiphat

This adventure is apparently not for those without steely resolve as well as ample financial assets.

Well done Rosco and Mrs. Rosco and congratulations.  tiphat

Thanks mate.  :thumbsup:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »
Other places get around the problem by making people pay for their treatment. :)

Under the British system your wife, and others in the same situation, still get free treatment when needed. Seems like a good deal to me.

I think that the amount charged suggests that the thinking behind the charge is not to recoup all the possible costs from people in your wife's situation but rather to make the process of getting such treatment a little more 'sticky'. By that I mean it serves as a barrier, if only a small one, to people wanting to bilk the generous British system. It is a small deterrent but one that would have no effect on you or your wife.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 03:41:52 AM »

I think that the amount charged suggests that the thinking behind the charge is not to recoup all the possible costs from people in your wife's situation but rather to make the process of getting such treatment a little more 'sticky'. By that I mean it serves as a barrier, if only a small one, to people wanting to bilk the generous British system. It is a small deterrent but one that would have no effect on you or your wife.

I agree - I base that on my 'poor wife' and step-son being excluded from having had to pay the 'surcharge' as non EU/EEA dependants of an EU citizen exercising their treaty rights

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/who-needs-pay

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »

I think my feathers get ruffled, because I get a sense of injustice and a lack of consistency. This may of course just be perception. Combined we pay quite a lot of tax back into the system & wifey has passed English tests & the like to prove our relationship is genuine and meeting the requirements.

I’ve yet to work out how we have droves of foreigners living in the U.K. with maroon passports, on little or no income, can’t speak a word of English and dozens of sprogs which would significantly raise the minimum income requirements.

I accept that this is part of the process and both understand why & agree that these rules are needed. It just leaves me scratching my head, when pondering how some other communities get round it.

Still......we’re almost there and look forward to leaving the red tape behind us.

how some other communities get round it.

You mean half of London? Human rights, liberal lawyers the usual stuff..

Its just the same for the working class, you pay all your taxes all your life while the other lot pay nothing...

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
ILR granted
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
After 6 years of marriage, Mrs Rosco received her indefinite leave to remain in the UK today. We’re both massively relieved and so happy to be pretty much there. I felt so sorry for her over the last month or so as we waited. The current climate made her feel very insecure and this has finally put it to bed.

The best anniversary present ever with it being issued on the day to our 7th year and now just the passport to come.

Happy days!  :)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: ILR granted
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
After 6 years of marriage, Mrs Rosco received her indefinite leave to remain in the UK today. We’re both massively relieved and so happy to be pretty much there. I felt so sorry for her over the last month or so as we waited. The current climate made her feel very insecure and this has finally put it to bed.

The best anniversary present ever with it being issued on the day to our 7th year and now just the passport to come.

Congratulations!  Wish you happiness!

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
Great news Rosco, congrats!   :thumbsup:

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Congratulations Rosco!

The journey takes much longer nowadays, only took us 4 years to passport.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
Well done!

May all the coming anniversary's be as joyful.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »

Congratulations Rosco!

Well done and many happy years to come!  tiphat

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 02:19:43 AM »

Next step, get the nationality , which comes with a pretty passport and voting rights :)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 03:00:00 AM »
A weight off the mind, good to hear!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 03:22:32 AM »
Excellent news. Congratulations all around. Major headache out of the way now.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2018, 04:43:28 AM »
Thank you all and yes, another major headache out the way!!  :)

Registration