The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK spouse visa extension, post July 2012  (Read 4445 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: UK spouse visa extension, post July 2012
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
Ste, I don't know for sure what kind of travel docs this bloke had BUT I do know that as a result of joining EFTA Montenegro gained access to the EEA and thus EU. One of the effects was that under a normal reading of the EU law people from Montenegro SHOULD be allowed access to the UK.

However, Britain has not implemented the law and thus it is necessary for a Montenegin married to a Briton to travel with their spouse. The link was, in part a reference to the legal case earlier this year that cemented the issue because it seems that the Border Agency were letting folks in this situation (not just Montenegrins) to come and go.

So, from the outside the effects we can see (the Volshe told us about) can be explained very easily by this EFTA/EEA issue and its lack of application in the UK.

This is a similar case to that of moby and his poor wife. He got her in on the basis of EU citizenship, no UK visa issued, but right now she'd have to travel with him in order to access the UK. (Assuming they were still together and she had not regularised her documentation - of course)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:19 AM »
(Av impression)

"Can the moderator pleased split this into another topic?"  :innocent:

Yes!  ;D

Where's Avvy? Avvy, if you are reading this, just wave (ie. post one-liner ;)) , we miss you  :(
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
Ste, I don't know for sure what kind of travel docs this bloke had BUT I do know that as a result of joining EFTA Montenegro gained access to the EEA and thus EU. One of the effects was that under a normal reading of the EU law people from Montenegro SHOULD be allowed access to the UK.

However, Britain has not implemented the law and thus it is necessary for a Montenegin married to a Briton to travel with their spouse. The link was, in part a reference to the legal case earlier this year that cemented the issue because it seems that the Border Agency were letting folks in this situation (not just Montenegrins) to come and go.

So, from the outside the effects we can see (the Volshe told us about) can be explained very easily by this EFTA/EEA issue and its lack of application in the UK.

This is a similar case to that of moby and his poor wife. He got her in on the basis of EU citizenship, no UK visa issued, but right now she'd have to travel with him in order to access the UK. (Assuming they were still together and she had not regularised her documentation - of course)

Volshe's SIL is on a UK spouse visa, EU immigration rules don't apply and as UK is not a Schengen state a visa (visit or LTR) is required by citizens of Montenegro.

The only situation where they would apply is where an EU citizen was exercising a treaty right upon which the Family member's right derive, per Moby. Monte is not EU but Montenegrins are non-visa nationals in the Schengen zone (plus a few other EU states), but not UK/Ireland.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »

Volshe's SIL is on a UK spouse visa, EU immigration rules don't apply and as UK is not a Schengen state a visa (visit or LTR) is required by citizens of Montenegro.

The only situation where they would apply is where an EU citizen was exercising a treaty right upon which the Family member's right derive, per Moby. Monte is not EU but Montenegrins are non-visa nationals in the Schengen zone (plus a few other EU states), but not UK/Ireland.

Yes, it's so... The last time i needed to travel to London for work, i simply gave up and gave a proxy to a colleague, i couldn't possibly be bothered with all of it again  :(

Btw, sorry for the confusion, per our tradition, my SIL lives in the same building here, it's my SIL's brother who got married to the girl who is UK citizen ... with our tribal connections it does get tad complicated at times to remember who is who lol!  ;D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
My wife applied for her spouse visa extension this week and of course, was successful in her application.

Due to the nature of her work (and mine), we paid the premium service fee for the one day turnaround. This is currently circa £1000. To my surprise, we were also hit with an NHS surcharge fee of £500.

No point in debating but its pretty shite charging a person an NHS surcharge when they've been paying quite a lot of tax and national insurance over the last 2.5 years.....never mind my contributions.

So, we've navigated the next hurdle and happily await the ILR and citizenship challenge, which should make life much easier.

tip - If you're a newbie and think paying for sushi or a wee shopping trip is expensive...............this gig isn't for you!

Offline Ste

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
My wife applied for her spouse visa extension this week and of course, was successful in her application.

Due to the nature of her work (and mine), we paid the premium service fee for the one day turnaround. This is currently circa £1000. To my surprise, we were also hit with an NHS surcharge fee of £500.

No point in debating but its pretty shite charging a person an NHS surcharge when they've been paying quite a lot of tax and national insurance over the last 2.5 years.....never mind my contributions.

So, we've navigated the next hurdle and happily await the ILR and citizenship challenge, which should make life much easier.

tip - If you're a newbie and think paying for sushi or a wee shopping trip is expensive...............this gig isn't for you!

I actually think it's fair enough, cheaper than CSI.

Good news is that's it - not needed for ILR....

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

:thumbsup:
Another hurdle overcome....
Good on you.
Yes, the NHS charge is fairly new. I thought it was a little less? Anyway, it's out of the way, just another few years for ILR and then citizenship.........
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato.
Wiz loves talking out of his A******e - Me.

Offline sparky114

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »

Congratulations Ross  :thumbsup:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online msmoby

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-introduces-health-surcharge

Are they 'backdating' NHS charges ?

Offline Ste

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »

Oddly enough you don't pay it on a Fiancee visa....

Online msmoby

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »

They will probably 'get you',  later

Has Nat had to pay this... I'm sorry I don't know if she acquired UK citizenship or 'only' has FT residency. I am interested in the status of those here on EU regs

Offline Ste

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »

They will probably 'get you',  later

Has Nat had to pay this... I'm sorry I don't know if she acquired UK citizenship or 'only' has FT residency. I am interested in the status of those here on EU regs

Became a BC in December last year, cost in visas about £5k altogether I reckon but we did it via a tortuous route as we didn't want to marry basically.

I'm a regular on immigration boards still and it's interesting to see what's happening now;

1. Lot's of checking now with HMRC to see if tax records match claimed earning - especially for those on PBS visas.

2. Tightening up of Surinder Singh route via EU, i.e. hopping to Ireland for a few months and re-entering UK as EEA citizens with no fees and no financial test.

3. Adult Dependant Visa almost impossible now, and costs £2k!!

Online rosco

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »

Good on you.
Yes, the NHS charge is fairly new. I thought it was a little less? Anyway, it's out of the way, just another few years for ILR and then citizenship.........

Thanks mate.

The fee is £200 per year but obviously based on the 2.5 year visa extension. The justification for charging a spouse who already contributes towards the NHS, is that they've only just started to contribute. The flip side is that they've only just started to possibly use it!!

Just another stealth tax but I see the point if we have masses of immigrants not contributing yet soaking up the NHS resources.

Offline Ste

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 03:56:55 AM »

Good on you.

Thanks mate.

The fee is £200 per year but obviously based on the 2.5 year visa extension. The justification for charging a spouse who already contributes towards the NHS, is that they've only just started to contribute. The flip side is that they've only just started to possibly use it!!

Just another stealth tax but I see the point if we have masses of immigrants not contributing yet soaking up the NHS resources.

All immigrants pay the surcharge, students, spouses, PBS migrants, only visitors and fiancee don't pay, and those under EEA rules, but even they generally have to have CSI instead. Those caught halfway of course get a bum deal but there ya go!

Online rosco

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »
Last week we submitted the wife's application for ILR, which should be the final hurdle out-with citizenship/passport.

A bargain at £2,297 at the current rates plus all the relevant documentation. I understand 12 weeks is the norm with some reporting 6 but it is what it is. I'm needing to work in a number of European countries in the coming months so thankfully they were happy for me to submit a photocopy of each page of my passport.

It's another landmark reached and we can almost see the light at the ned of the tunnel. Just thought it was worth reporting because not everything appreciates the afterwork once you meet Miss Rightska.