The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Albania opens huge Cold War bunker  (Read 3400 times)

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Albania opens huge Cold War bunker
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:12:45 AM »
Quote from: BBC
Albania opens huge Cold War bunker

A long corridor in the bunker, built by late communist dictator Enver Hoxha, in Tirana, Albania. Work on the bunker, 100m (330ft) underground, was completed in 1978 but it was never used

A large secret bunker that Albania's communist regime built in the 1970s to survive a nuclear bomb has been opened to the public for the first time.

Then dictator Enver Hoxha wanted the bunker near the capital Tirana to guard against Soviet Union or US attacks.

Prime Minister Edi Rama showed several Western ambassadors around the 106-room, five-storey complex on Saturday.

Hoxha's regime built up to 700,000 bunkers before he died in 1985. The pro-Chinese regime was toppled in 1990.

"We have opened today a thesaurus of the collective memory that presents thousands of pieces of the sad events and life under communism," Mr Rama said in a speech in the bunker's 200-seat hall.

The bunker has been opened to the public ahead of Albania's World War Two liberation day on 29 November.

The government plans to use it as a tourist attraction and an exhibition space for artists.

Prime Minister Rama shows a group of visitors the bedroom of the late communist dictator Enver Hoxha

The bunker now houses a museum exhibiting items from World War Two and the communist period

Source: BBC

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Albania opens huge Cold War bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
If I find myself in Albania I will be sure to visit this site. Thanks for the post.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
If I find myself in Albania I will be sure to visit this site. Thanks for the post.

me too (and depending in which part of the country it is, it could be as close as couple of hours drive from where i live :))

thanks for sharing, MrMann :)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »

@ 4:17 is a view of one of these bunkers. Dismal place however the countryside, mountains, clear water streams and beautiful beaches is something I got to see for myself.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL VIDEO!

Registration