The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How the Western Media Portrays Putin & Russia - And What Actually Happened.  (Read 49193 times)

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
This website may be a shock to some of the anti-russians here:

I'm not sure what misidentified soldiers has to do with human rights. If you're really interested in human rights in Crimea you might be interested in this:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/11/17/crimea-human-rights-decline

Which is an actual charity. The statement on humanrightsinvestigations.org that they aren't a charity because they are too small is nonsense.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
This website may be a shock to some of the anti-russians here:

I'm not sure what misidentified soldiers has to do with human rights. If you're really interested in human rights in Crimea you might be interested in this:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/11/17/crimea-human-rights-decline

Which is an actual charity. The statement on humanrightsinvestigations.org that they aren't a charity because they are too small is nonsense.

Sure, attack the messenger instead of the message. Good idea, worked flawlessly throughout the ages.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Sure, attack the messenger instead of the message. Good idea, worked flawlessly throughout the ages.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are in fact dead.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MrMann

I'm not attacking the messenger or the message.

That story about the misidentified soldiers was discussed on the forum at some length back when the story appeared in the media. Quite why this website is going to "be a shock to some of the anti-russians here" I don't know.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
I'm not attacking the messenger or the message.

That story about the misidentified soldiers was discussed on the forum at some length back when the story appeared in the media. Quite why this website is going to "be a shock to some of the anti-russians here" I don't know.
Because some of them operate under the assumption that anything posted in the western media is gospel and the absolute truth.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
In doubt that. Everyone above the age of 5 knows that there are distortions and blatant lies from the media.

Unless it's Pravda or RT and Manny.. :fighting0025:
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Manny

I happened upon an article by an author called Robert Parry (I thought I'd get his name in at the start so Westy can start Googling to discredit the source) discussing the New York Times' reporting of the Ukraine crisis. He is described thus:

Robert Parry broke many of the Iran-Contra stories in the 1980s for the Associated Press and Newsweek. His latest book, Neck Deep: The Disastrous Presidency of George W. Bush, was written with two of his sons, Sam and Nat. His two previous books are Secrecy & Privilege: The Rise of the Bush Dynasty from Watergate to Iraq and Lost History: Contras, Cocaine, the Press & 'Project Truth'.

This is the synopsis:

Throughout the Ukraine crisis, the U.S. State Department and mainstream media have downplayed the role of neo-Nazis in the U.S.-backed Kiev regime, an inconvenient truth that is surfacing again as right-wing storm troopers fly neo-Nazi banners as they attack in the east

The New York Times reported almost in passing on Sunday that the Ukrainian government’s offensive against ethnic Russian rebels in the east has unleashed far-right paramilitary militias that have even raised a neo-Nazi banner over the conquered town of Marinka, just west of the rebel stronghold of Donetsk.

That might seem like a big story – a U.S.-backed military operation, which has inflicted thousands of mostly civilian casualties, is being spearheaded by neo-Nazis. But the consistent pattern of the mainstream U.S. news media has been – since the start of the Ukraine crisis – to white-out the role of Ukraine’s brown-shirts.

Only occasionally is the word “neo-Nazi” mentioned and usually in the context of dismissing this inconvenient truth as “Russian propaganda.” Yet the reality has been that neo-Nazis played a key role in the violent overthrow of elected President Viktor Yanukovych last February as well as in the subsequent coup regime holding power in Kiev and now in the eastern offensive.

The full article can be read >>here<<.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline WestCoast

As expected, some here seek to post their own links and alternative opinion. If it isn't germane to this topic, they are welcome to do so >>here<<. Might we please try to stay on topic for once?

As for the newspapers you referenced above, aren't they about the equivalent of the National Enquirer here in the States?

Media is media. People read it, some believe it. The BBC are just as guilty of this, more than most actually.

Staying in Australia for now, the media will have us believe that Tony Abbott was going to physically confront Putin, or as the Aussies say, "shirtfront" him. Abbott has been attacking Putin across Aussie media for months. The G20 was his big chance to show Putin and Australia what he is made of.

(Attachment Link)

So here is what really happened, they hugged some koala bears together.

(Attachment Link)

I cant seem to find that on the Aussie front pages for some reason. That photo is from Russian media. See the difference?

You couldn't find a photo of Putin with a koala on the Aussie front pages? Did you look? They're all over the Internet. Because of the sheer volume the easiest way to narrow down your selection is to use a search engine that allows the user to sort selections by country.

I choose Google. Not Google.com however, I used Australia's version www.google.com.au. Search on Google for Putin koala. Then to filter the results by going to the tab labelled 'Search Tools'. Under 'Search Tools' select 'Any Country' tab and under that select 'Country: Australia'. Then go back up to the top tabs and select 'Images'. It's not perfect but it will greatly reduce the number of non Australian photos.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/prime-minister-tony-abbott-and-russian-president-vladimir-putin-paws-for-a-cuddle-during-g20/story-fni0cx12-1227124291019

from Australia's Daily Telegraph.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

Well done Google guru.  :thumbsup:

Not sure if it was front page or not like the photoshopped Putins with ships, its hard to tell on net editions. But nice to see Aussie media actually did pick it up and published it somewhere. Not that it really evens out the blatant lies they did publish on the front pages. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline SOUTHERN X

manny , honestly ,

your so intent on defending mr putin you really are not open minded at all
you claim to be , however you continue to deny any shred of evidence or responsibility by mr putin  for the facts on the ground in ukraine being as they are currently

please dont start assuming to know whats going on here in australia , as you would be wrong again in most instances

australians are angry about the killing of innocent fellow citizens who where shot down in the MH 17 tragedy , you may spin it any way you wish , but the majority of people can see through the BS of mr putin and RT

SX

Offline Manny

please dont start assuming to know whats going on here in australia , as you would be wrong again in most instances

I can read your headlines and delve enough to see the facts. Please elaborate on what you disagree with or what is not factual about Oz from what I have posted?

Some of my family went to Brisbane in the 60's, many have come back and forth since then. Since social media arrived, we are in close touch generations later. Some of what I got about Brisbane was from family who live there. *Please* don't make assumptions, SouthernX.

Offline SOUTHERN X

I can read your headlines and delve enough to see the facts. Please elaborate on what you disagree with or what is not factual about Oz from what I have posted?

Some of my family went to Brisbane in the 60's, many have come back and forth since then. Since social media arrived, we are in close touch generations later. Some of what I got about Brisbane was from family who live there. *Please* don't make assumptions, SouthernX.

wow , i have family in yorkshire /birmingham & wales , we also have family on the pommy side in brisbane , been there often , social media skype , even phone calls to each other , fancy that hey , even here in oz
i can only hope to god where  not related then manny ,  :hidechair:

with all your connections it it is clear you know much more than us locals

SX

Offline Manny

I never said I knew more than locals.

But as to your ancestry, I can see the edge of Yorkshire from my window, many of you blokes are related to whingeing poms, so you never know.  ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Manny, is where you live frequented by folks with criminal pasts then?

Mebbe a bit of sheep stealing from the fields on the hills?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
  • Trips: 1-5
Umm I just happen to live in Australia and there were indeed koala hugging shots in the local media.

And what do low brow local tabloids recycling cold war era headlines prove other than Aussie tabloids are print journalism's lowest common denominator (as they are anywhere else in the world)?

The real story about G20 was Putin sulking off early whilst many of the other leaders stayed on in Australia for various events. The Chinese signed a free trade agreement with huge fanfare here in Australia. But they are an actual global power today and not pretending to be one because they were part of a State that was once a super power many decades ago.

Offline Manny

Isthmus, you have commented on a small thing that is the purpose of the topic, probably without realising it.

The real story about G20 was Putin sulking off early whilst many of the other leaders stayed on in Australia for various events.

Hardly sulking. Here are his comments:

Though many media outlets speculated that Putin had left the summit early, skipping a Sunday working breakfast because of an icy welcome at the G20, the Russian leader reiterated on Tuesday that practically all work had been finished by that time. “I addressed all sessions,” Putin said, adding: “Our stance was heard.”

He also said:

"It will take me nine hours to Vladivostok and another nine to Moscow," said the Russian president. "On Monday morning I have to go to work and I need four to five hours' sleep."

See for yourself:

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
  • Trips: 1-5
Manny, in the world of international relations, he slinked off. He copped a roasting from various other leaders over Ukraine so he left the party early.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
Ach, it is just silliness.

Work to be done sorting out from Poroshenko's meltdown on Friday, cleaning up to be done. No doubt the timing was not accidental.

Offline MrMann

Despite asserting for a second time Andrew that other leaders left early, Merkel and Obama were present for the final lunch and meeting.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/g20-summit-live-coverage-of-day-two-from-brisbane/story-fnpebfcn-1227124487368

edit: Andrew edited his post before I posted my reply, he obviously decided not to display his ignorance like a banner.

Quote from: andrewfi
Isthmus, so what of Obama who left early?

What of the other leaders who left early, including, IIRC Merkel?

Don't display your ignorance like a banner, check yourself before posting. ;)

Offline WestCoast

Despite asserting for a second time Andrew that other leaders left early, Merkel and Obama were present for the final lunch and meeting.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/g20-summit-live-coverage-of-day-two-from-brisbane/story-fnpebfcn-1227124487368

edit: Andrew edited his post before I posted my reply, he obviously decided not to display his ignorance like a banner.

Quote from: andrewfi
Isthmus, so what of Obama who left early?

What of the other leaders who left early, including, IIRC Merkel?

Don't display your ignorance like a banner, check yourself before posting. ;)

Andrew was wrong again? Had to change his post to try to cover his 'ignorance'.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

Interesting article on RT on this very subject.

Curious that when challenged with facts, all backed down:

La Repubblica newspaper reported the Putin had told then-European Commission president, Jose Manual Barroso, that he “could take Kiev in weeks.” The alleged bragging was revealed by the European official to a council meeting, but after Moscow said it would publish the transcript of the entire conversation, the EU admitted that the words were taken out of context.

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski, who told Politico magazine that he overheard Putin suggesting to Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk in 2008 that Ukraine be divided between the two nations. The official backpedalled on the accusations after a backlash both from Russia and at home, admitting that he never heard Putin actually voicing the Hitleresque plan. He also admitted that Putin and Tusk didn’t actually meet at the time the conversation was supposed to have taken place.

The Telegraph, reported that Lavrov used foul language in a telephone conversation with his British counterpart at the time, David Miliband, rhetorically asking the much-younger official: “Who are you to f****g lecture me?” The verbal abuse was denied by both the Foreign Office and the Russian Foreign Ministry.

http://rt.com/news/200071-putin-misquotations-barroso-sikorski/

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
Yes,  I checked myself.

Obama was about the first to leave just after Zuma. But the report I had read was misleading and rather than mislead you,  I edited my post.

However,  the reports upon which you lot relied were similarly misleading and you lot did not bother to check or edit because you wanted to believe the untruths. Does that make you dishonest or foolish (or both)? Certainly foolish. Given the real situation, probably dishonest because you know Putin did not leave after his meeting with Cameron as was claimed to be happening.

So,  Mrmann, as far as I am concerned you, westcoast and others do carry your ignorance like a banner. No pride to be found in that cognitive lack.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Interesting article on RT on this very subject.

Curious that when challenged with facts, all backed down:

La Repubblica newspaper reported the Putin had told then-European Commission president, Jose Manual Barroso, that he “could take Kiev in weeks.” The alleged bragging was revealed by the European official to a council meeting, but after Moscow said it would publish the transcript of the entire conversation, the EU admitted that the words were taken out of context.

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski, who told Politico magazine that he overheard Putin suggesting to Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk in 2008 that Ukraine be divided between the two nations. The official backpedalled on the accusations after a backlash both from Russia and at home, admitting that he never heard Putin actually voicing the Hitleresque plan. He also admitted that Putin and Tusk didn’t actually meet at the time the conversation was supposed to have taken place.

The Telegraph, reported that Lavrov used foul language in a telephone conversation with his British counterpart at the time, David Miliband, rhetorically asking the much-younger official: “Who are you to f****g lecture me?” The verbal abuse was denied by both the Foreign Office and the Russian Foreign Ministry.

http://rt.com/news/200071-putin-misquotations-barroso-sikorski/

What a bunch of gossipers...  (:) Hardly any high official would lose control to that extent, so to swear on the phone or to brag about hypothetical  aggression on neighboring countries. Sheesh.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia

"It will take me nine hours to Vladivostok and another nine to Moscow," said the Russian president. "On Monday morning I have to go to work and I need four to five hours' sleep."

Yep, saw it on the news, it didn't seem at all he was ducking out. On another token, if you would choose company for a dinner (the official part was ending by that time anyway), would you choose A. Merkel or...
http://max-pix.com/img-alina-kabaeva-photo-1-392.htm

c'mmon  ;D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline MrMann

I didn't claim anything. You claimed that Obama and Merkel left early, implying that Putin leaving before the final lunch was not unusual and that other leaders did the same. Obama and Merkel stayed for the lunch.

The other participants all held official press conferences open to all media. Putin hastily arranged a press conference at his hotel which Russian media only were allowed to attend.

Registration