The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How the Western Media Portrays Putin & Russia - And What Actually Happened.  (Read 49041 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Across several topics we can glean that the western media is hardly unbiased when it comes to Russia and Putin. Some say they are paid to write what they do. Some put it down to laziness or sloppy journalism. Different channels in different countries take a different slant, but on the whole, irrespective of evidence one way or the other, the western media purposely lies about Russia and Putin and misrepresents the facts.

Here is a prime example, when the flight MH17 was downed in Ukraine, despite no evidence whatsoever in less than a day, the British media decided it was Putins fault.

Months later there is still speculation on the culprits. Indeed, we have seventy pages of debate on it and we are no closer to an iron clad answer. We all have our own theories we support.

Was that a one off? No it wasn't. I started this topic to highlight over time how what some of what the western media portrays about Russia and Putin is utter fabrication to the point of being laughable and easily demonstrated to be completely false. And also to document what actually happened. Or in some cases, what we know up to now.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
To be fair we do our own too, Cameron nicely framed outside Peacock's....

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

As we know, the G20 just met in Brisbane Australia.

Russia placed several military ships near Indonesia in international waters for the duration of his visit. Here is how the Australian media reported that.

The Courier claims the Aussie navy were "hunting" the Russian ships. And that they were "steaming" towards Brisbane. All untrue. They were docked near Indonesia in international waters and the Aussies knew they were coming.

What the media didn't mention:

During that visit, Obama had multiple US military helicopters hovering above Brisbane. Not miles out in the sea like Putin's ships, right over Brisbane. 

What the media also didn't mention is that a nations ships attending an important international leaders meeting is quite a standard thing. Indeed, the British media didn't raise an eyebrow when warships from France, Latvia, Holland and US military helicopters descended on Cardiff in Wales for the recent NATO meeting.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Yes, me too. More as I happen across it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Manny

As expected, some here seek to post their own links and alternative opinion. If it isn't germane to this topic, they are welcome to do so >>here<<. Might we please try to stay on topic for once?

As for the newspapers you referenced above, aren't they about the equivalent of the National Enquirer here in the States?

Media is media. People read it, some believe it. The BBC are just as guilty of this, more than most actually.

Staying in Australia for now, the media will have us believe that Tony Abbott was going to physically confront Putin, or as the Aussies say, "shirtfront" him. Abbott has been attacking Putin across Aussie media for months. The G20 was his big chance to show Putin and Australia what he is made of.

So here is what really happened, they hugged some koala bears together.

I cant seem to find that on the Aussie front pages for some reason. That photo is from Russian media. See the difference?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Really? Media is media? So you're saying that the tabloids that you referenced and that commonly feature such headlines as "Sandra Bullok Impregnated by Aliens", is just as legitimate as CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc (which all put their own spin on the news as well mind you)?

Honestly, this consistent backing of Putin makes me want to vomit anymore. Does the guy have some good qualities? Of course, but he's not nearly the superhero you paint him as and to much of the world he's got plenty of blood on his hands.

The U.S./E.U. have their faults and most of us "Westerners" can admit to that, but you and that other one's persistent ra ra shish koom ba of anything and everything Putin, Russian foreign policy, Russian whatever is ridiculous already. It gets to be a major turnoff when you (or anyone) will defend Russia (or any country for that matter), so blindly.

To claim that Russia and Putin have been perfect little angels with relation to Ukraine and MH17 makes you look, well......I think you get the point.

Offline Manny

Really? Media is media? So you're saying that the tabloids that you referenced and that commonly feature such headlines as "Sandra Bullok Impregnated by Aliens", is just as legitimate as CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc (which all put their own spin on the news as well mind you)?

Honestly, this consistent backing of Putin makes me want to vomit anymore. Does the guy have some good qualities? Of course, but he's not nearly the superhero you paint him as and to much of the world he's got plenty of blood on his hands.

The U.S./E.U. have their faults and most of us "Westerners" can admit to that, but you and that other one's persistent ra ra shish koom ba of anything and everything Putin, Russian foreign policy, Russian whatever is ridiculous already. It gets to be a major turnoff when you (or anyone) will defend Russia (or any country for that matter), so blindly.

To claim that Russia and Putin have been perfect little angels with relation to Ukraine and MH17 makes you look, well......I think you get the point.

Now you have had a rant, do you have any comments on the items in the actual topic?

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Here are some Western media accounts of Putin and Russia
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
Russia plans alternative version of 'Wikipedia'

read all about it here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Texan77

This is what was actually in responsible western media. What is the big complaint?

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/russia-navy-ships-heading-towards-australia-a-stunt-shorten/
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

Re: Here are some Western media accounts of Putin and Russia
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

read all about it here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114

From your link Bill:

And since February, state authorities have been able to block websites without a court order. The webpages of two leading Kremlin critics were among the first to be barred.

The .co.uk controlling body Nominet routinely blocks inconvenient websites. It simply switches them off due to "registration irregularities". Now they demand a utility bill, or bank statement to even register one if they don't like the address you give at registration.

Here is an email I got from Godaddy last week after registering a new .co.uk:

The .uk registry, Nominet, requires us to confirm accurate contact information for all domains. Please verify your information for the following domain(s):

*****.co.uk
Verify Contact Information Now
The process is fast and simple. If your contact information hasn't been validated in 30 days, your domain may be suspended. Take care of it right away to avoid any interruption to your website or email service. If you need to update contact information, please do so for all domains listed above.

What they want is photo ID, bank statement or other proof of identity/address.

You do not need that for a .com

You do not need that for a .ru

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search

Now you have had a rant, do you have any comments on the items in the actual topic?

So that's the best rebuttal you have to my "rant" which questions your blindsided devotion to Vlad and his policies?

For the record I was questioning the media outlets that you referenced. That's related to the topic right?

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
your blindsided devotion to Vlad and his policies?

May i ask something, please? If one has analytic approach, does not take (any) media information blindly, if one questions the reliability of the information's sources, if - even hypothetically - one makes a guess that maybe (just maybe) not all Western politicians are angels and that ( forgive me the heresy) if one just for a second doubts the premise that V.V. is the Devil himself... does that automatically make one a satanist a Vlad's devotee and a blind follower/executor of his policies?
What happened to the free speech, free thought and  other categories which we, the Eastern Europeans, admired so much in the West?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
your blindsided devotion to Vlad and his policies?

May i ask something, please? If one has analytic approach, does not take (any) media information blindly, if one questions the reliability of the information's sources, if - even hypothetically - one makes a guess that maybe (just maybe) not all Western politicians are angels and that ( forgive me the heresy) if one just for a second doubts the premise that V.V. is the Devil himself... does that automatically make one a satanist a Vlad's devotee and a blind follower/executor of his policies?
What happened to the free speech, free thought and  other categories which we, the Eastern Europeans, admired so much in the West?

Of course it's wise to question media outlets and politicians and take them with a large grain of salt. My issue is when someone subscribes to either/or so devoutly as to seemingly be willing to follow them off a cliff.

As to your other question regarding the freedoms of the West, in my opinion as someone who came from the communist dictatorship of Ceausescu at a young age to the U.S., I believe that it's human nature for people to not value what they have (freedoms), and to slowly but insidiously allow things such as we've been seeing in America to creep in. 

The pendulum swings, history repeats itself, etc. Sad but true....

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
[
And since February, state authorities have been able to block websites without a court order. The webpages of two leading Kremlin critics were among the first to be barred.

The .co.uk controlling body Nominet routinely blocks inconvenient websites. It simply switches them off due to "registration irregularities". Now they demand a utility bill, or bank statement to even register one if they don't like the address you give at registration.

Here is an email I got from Godaddy last week after registering a new .co.uk:

The .uk registry, Nominet, requires us to confirm accurate contact information for all domains. Please verify your information for the following domain(s):

*****.co.uk
Verify Contact Information Now
The process is fast and simple. If your contact information hasn't been validated in 30 days, your domain may be suspended. Take care of it right away to avoid any interruption to your website or email service. If you need to update contact information, please do so for all domains listed above.

What they want is photo ID, bank statement or other proof of identity/address.

You do not need that for a .com

You do not need that for a .ru

That sounds like they're trying to weed out some of the questionable shysters from the internet..

It's working too!  :ROFL: :ROFL:
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth

Of course it's wise to question media outlets and politicians and take them with a large grain of salt. My issue is when someone subscribes to either/or so devoutly as to seemingly be willing to follow them off a cliff.

As to your other question regarding the freedoms of the West, in my opinion as someone who came from the communist dictatorship of Ceausescu at a young age to the U.S., I believe that it's human nature for people to not value what they have (freedoms), and to slowly but insidiously allow things such as we've been seeing in America to creep in. 

I am from former Yugoslavia, i hear you... Thank you for the reply, GuppyCaptain.
Douglas Adams

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search

I am from former Yugoslavia, i hear you... Thank you for the reply, GuppyCaptain.

tiphat What part of Yugo anyway?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »

read all about it here

Thanks for posting Beel. Just read it and all I can say is that the writing is definitely firmly on the wall as to what direction that country is being steered.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

read all about it here

Thanks for posting Beel. Just read it and all I can say is that the writing is definitely firmly on the wall as to what direction that country is being steered.
I love the part about detailed and reliable, detailed I believe  :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth

tiphat What part of Yugo anyway?

Montenegro. Thank you for asking.  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline SOUTHERN X

This is what was actually in responsible western media. What is the big complaint?

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/russia-navy-ships-heading-towards-australia-a-stunt-shorten/

texan , manny would not use your link because it does not fit his argument about western media

it seems he fails to understand in a free press state , you have a wide spectrum of media outlets all with their own perspective free to voice it ,

it seems to perplex the [derogatory term removed]s that a fair few of these media outlets across the many different countrys have taken to voicing negative views about mr putin

could it be mr putin is actually doing negative things in ukraine and elswhere that might warrant those media outlets across the globe voicing concern ??

no mr putin is not according to the [derogatory term removed]s , all negative views are from sockpuppets , who have russophobia and wish to see mr putins demise,

we all know thats true cause RT says so , lol

no amount of words,  video etc is going to change the [derogatory term removed]s view,
complete waste of time even posting , even if a t72 was to drive into the rada it would still not be enough fact /evidence of russias supply of weapons into ukraine or any invasion on the ground 

meanwhile our familys have to live with mr putins daily backed  aggression & killing in their lives

pity it wasnt any of your family manny , you may reflect on that differently
SX

Offline Manny

texan , manny would not use your link because it does not fit his argument about western media

Don't be silly. You think I read everything in foreign media?

Texan's link supports my point and confirms what I wrote above.

Perhaps some are confused, I have never referred to ALL western media behaving dishonestly in a blanket like manner. But the facts remain that the red tops, popular papers and large news networks do mould opinion of the masses.

Offline Manny

So that's the best rebuttal you have to my "rant" which questions your blindsided devotion to Vlad and his policies?

For the record I was questioning the media outlets that you referenced. That's related to the topic right?

The discussion isnt about Vlad and his polices. The discussion is about how some of the western media distort the facts.

There is no "blindsided devotion" as you suggest (you mean blind devotion BTW). But to some here, you included, to even discuss this is akin to an act like treason and they get immediately bent out of shape about it.  :chuckle:

Offline MrMann

Quote from: Manny
I have never referred to ALL western media behaving dishonestly in a blanket like manner.

the western media purposely lies about Russia and Putin and misrepresents the facts.

You didn't say "some elements of the western media". That looks like a "blanket like manner" to me.

The BBC are just as guilty of this, more than most actually.

So here is what really happened, they hugged some koala bears together.

I cant seem to find that on the Aussie front pages for some reason. That photo is from Russian media. See the difference?

The BBC also used that photo.

Indeed, the British media didn't raise an eyebrow when warships from France, Latvia, Holland and US military helicopters descended on Cardiff in Wales for the recent NATO meeting.

NATO is a military organisation, it's not directly comparable to a G20 summit.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
This website may be a shock to some of the anti-russians here:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/

Of course, they also don't have all the answers, but I found this topic quite interesting during the Crimea crises, which drasticly altered my way of viewing the western press:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/2014/04/22/evidence-of-undercover-russian-troops-in-ukraine-debunked/
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search

Of course, they also don't have all the answers, but I found this topic quite interesting during the Crimea crises, which drasticly altered my way of viewing the western press:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/2014/04/22/evidence-of-undercover-russian-troops-in-ukraine-debunked/

Aha!!! The "anti-Russian" label pops up again!  :'(

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea

Aha!!! The "anti-Russian" label pops up again!  :'(

When the shoe fits .....
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria