The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How the Western Media Portrays Putin & Russia - And What Actually Happened.  (Read 28555 times)

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Here are some Western media accounts of Putin and Russia
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
Russia plans alternative version of 'Wikipedia'

read all about it here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114

Thanks for posting Beel. Just read it and all I can say is that the writing is definitely firmly on the wall as to what direction that country is being steered.

Online NS1

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Here are some Western media accounts of Putin and Russia
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
Russia plans alternative version of 'Wikipedia'

read all about it here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114

Thanks for posting Beel. Just read it and all I can say is that the writing is definitely firmly on the wall as to what direction that country is being steered.
I love the part about detailed and reliable, detailed I believe  :chuckle:
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia

Of course it's wise to question media outlets and politicians and take them with a large grain of salt. My issue is when someone subscribes to either/or so devoutly as to seemingly be willing to follow them off a cliff.

As to your other question regarding the freedoms of the West, in my opinion as someone who came from the communist dictatorship of Ceausescu at a young age to the U.S., I believe that it's human nature for people to not value what they have (freedoms), and to slowly but insidiously allow things such as we've been seeing in America to creep in. 

The pendulum swings, history repeats itself, etc. Sad but true....

I am from former Yugoslavia, i hear you... Thank you for the reply, GuppyCaptain.

tiphat What part of Yugo anyway?

Montenegro. Thank you for asking.  :)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline SOUTHERN X

This is what was actually in responsible western media. What is the big complaint?

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/russia-navy-ships-heading-towards-australia-a-stunt-shorten/

texan , manny would not use your link because it does not fit his argument about western media

it seems he fails to understand in a free press state , you have a wide spectrum of media outlets all with their own perspective free to voice it ,

it seems to perplex the [derogatory term removed]s that a fair few of these media outlets across the many different countrys have taken to voicing negative views about mr putin

could it be mr putin is actually doing negative things in ukraine and elswhere that might warrant those media outlets across the globe voicing concern ??

no mr putin is not according to the [derogatory term removed]s , all negative views are from sockpuppets , who have russophobia and wish to see mr putins demise,

we all know thats true cause RT says so , lol

no amount of words,  video etc is going to change the [derogatory term removed]s view,
complete waste of time even posting , even if a t72 was to drive into the rada it would still not be enough fact /evidence of russias supply of weapons into ukraine or any invasion on the ground 

meanwhile our familys have to live with mr putins daily backed  aggression & killing in their lives

pity it wasnt any of your family manny , you may reflect on that differently
SX

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
This is what was actually in responsible western media. What is the big complaint?

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/russia-navy-ships-heading-towards-australia-a-stunt-shorten/

texan , manny would not use your link because it does not fit his argument about western media

Don't be silly. You think I read everything in foreign media?

Texan's link supports my point and confirms what I wrote above.

Perhaps some are confused, I have never referred to ALL western media behaving dishonestly in a blanket like manner. But the facts remain that the red tops, popular papers and large news networks do mould opinion of the masses.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Manny

Really? Media is media? So you're saying that the tabloids that you referenced and that commonly feature such headlines as "Sandra Bullok Impregnated by Aliens", is just as legitimate as CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc (which all put their own spin on the news as well mind you)?

Honestly, this consistent backing of Putin makes me want to vomit anymore. Does the guy have some good qualities? Of course, but he's not nearly the superhero you paint him as and to much of the world he's got plenty of blood on his hands.

The U.S./E.U. have their faults and most of us "Westerners" can admit to that, but you and that other one's persistent ra ra shish koom ba of anything and everything Putin, Russian foreign policy, Russian whatever is ridiculous already. It gets to be a major turnoff when you (or anyone) will defend Russia (or any country for that matter), so blindly.

To claim that Russia and Putin have been perfect little angels with relation to Ukraine and MH17 makes you look, well......I think you get the point.

Now you have had a rant, do you have any comments on the items in the actual topic?

So that's the best rebuttal you have to my "rant" which questions your blindsided devotion to Vlad and his policies?

For the record I was questioning the media outlets that you referenced. That's related to the topic right?

The discussion isnt about Vlad and his polices. The discussion is about how some of the western media distort the facts.

There is no "blindsided devotion" as you suggest (you mean blind devotion BTW). But to some here, you included, to even discuss this is akin to an act like treason and they get immediately bent out of shape about it.  :chuckle:
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline MrMann

Quote from: Manny
I have never referred to ALL western media behaving dishonestly in a blanket like manner.

the western media purposely lies about Russia and Putin and misrepresents the facts.

You didn't say "some elements of the western media". That looks like a "blanket like manner" to me.

The BBC are just as guilty of this, more than most actually.

So here is what really happened, they hugged some koala bears together.

I cant seem to find that on the Aussie front pages for some reason. That photo is from Russian media. See the difference?

The BBC also used that photo.

Indeed, the British media didn't raise an eyebrow when warships from France, Latvia, Holland and US military helicopters descended on Cardiff in Wales for the recent NATO meeting.

NATO is a military organisation, it's not directly comparable to a G20 summit.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
This website may be a shock to some of the anti-russians here:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/

Of course, they also don't have all the answers, but I found this topic quite interesting during the Crimea crises, which drasticly altered my way of viewing the western press:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/2014/04/22/evidence-of-undercover-russian-troops-in-ukraine-debunked/
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5

Of course, they also don't have all the answers, but I found this topic quite interesting during the Crimea crises, which drasticly altered my way of viewing the western press:

http://humanrightsinvestigations.org/2014/04/22/evidence-of-undercover-russian-troops-in-ukraine-debunked/

Aha!!! The "anti-Russian" label pops up again!  :'(

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages

Aha!!! The "anti-Russian" label pops up again!  :'(

When the shoe fits .....

Offline MrMann

I'm not sure what misidentified soldiers has to do with human rights. If you're really interested in human rights in Crimea you might be interested in this:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/11/17/crimea-human-rights-decline

Which is an actual charity. The statement on humanrightsinvestigations.org that they aren't a charity because they are too small is nonsense.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages

I'm not sure what misidentified soldiers has to do with human rights. If you're really interested in human rights in Crimea you might be interested in this:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/11/17/crimea-human-rights-decline

Which is an actual charity. The statement on humanrightsinvestigations.org that they aren't a charity because they are too small is nonsense.

Sure, attack the messenger instead of the message. Good idea, worked flawlessly throughout the ages.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Sure, attack the messenger instead of the message. Good idea, worked flawlessly throughout the ages.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are in fact dead.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MrMann

I'm not attacking the messenger or the message.

That story about the misidentified soldiers was discussed on the forum at some length back when the story appeared in the media. Quite why this website is going to "be a shock to some of the anti-russians here" I don't know.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
I'm not attacking the messenger or the message.

That story about the misidentified soldiers was discussed on the forum at some length back when the story appeared in the media. Quite why this website is going to "be a shock to some of the anti-russians here" I don't know.
Because some of them operate under the assumption that anything posted in the western media is gospel and the absolute truth.