The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Enjoying the Russian dining experience  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Enjoying the Russian dining experience
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
So is this the Scottish dining experience thread?  ;D

I could talk about the Scottish restaurant in Moscow instead. Or the Scottish pub. ;)

The menu at the Scottish restaurant looks terrific, especially the wild game dishes.

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 03:41:04 AM »
We've been to the pub a couple of times but not the restaurant yet as it isn't particularly vegetarian friendly. One of our friends in Moscow has a cranachan obsession though so I'm sure it won't be long before we take her there.

Anyway, back to the FSU cuisine. Му-Му (moo-moo) is pretty good, and quite authentic so I'm told. Although it looks like the menu has diversified since I was last there, I don't remember there being sushi or pizza. I'm fairly sure it was just traditional Russian dishes previously, but it's been a few years since I visited.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:54 AM »
Anyway, back to the FSU cuisine. Му-Му (moo-moo) is pretty good, and quite authentic so I'm told. Although it looks like the menu has diversified since I was last there, I don't remember there being sushi or pizza. I'm fairly sure it was just traditional Russian dishes previously, but it's been a few years since I visited.

I thought sushi was the "new" national food of the former Soviet Union. I suspect more than one reader/writer has been sushied in Moscow, Nikolayev or Kivy.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MrMann

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 04:22:52 AM »
True. I'm aware of the sushi obsession but having pizza on that menu looks a bit random. Perhaps I just ignored it at the time.

Offline Larry

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »
True. I'm aware of the sushi obsession but having pizza on that menu looks a bit random. Perhaps I just ignored it at the time.

I've seen pizza restaurants serving sushi (or was it sushi restaurants serving pizza?) in FSU.  The two don't seem to go together, but I suppose each is popular.

Online mhr7

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »
Even had sushi and pizza at the bowling ally in Poltava over the summer. The Japanese restaurant here in Novocherkassk, Osaka, serves pizza as well.

The Uzbekistani restaurant also offers both.

Registration