The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bloody Craigslist!!!  (Read 13243 times)

Offline FredHill

Bloody Craigslist!!!
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
Why doesn't Craigslist have personal ads from countries like  Kyrgyzstan, Moldova or Uzbekistan? I mean, in places where the GDP per capita is under $3000, the women would probably fall over each other to find a prize catch from the West.

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Bloody Craigslist!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
Why doesn't Craigslist have personal ads from countries like  Kyrgyzstan, Moldova or Uzbekistan? I mean, in places where the GDP per capita is under $3000, the women would probably fall over each other to find a prize catch from the West.

Ever considered that these women from these countries do not know what "Craigslist" is!

Offline FredHill

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Ever considered that these women from these countries do not know what "Craigslist" is!

Well, it's certainly a possibility, WOVO, but considering that CL has personals from Romania (which is more or less right next door to Moldova) Pakistan (a few hundred miles south of Takjikistan), and even some of the more impoverished regions of Africa and Latin America, you'd think there'd be at least some women in Moldova and the "Stans" with access to the internet and a knowledge of one of the world's best-known classified advertisements websites.

Offline WOVO

• Watched
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »

Well, it's certainly a possibility, WOVO, but considering that CL has personals from Romania (which is more or less right next door) and even some of the more impoverished regions of Africa and Latin America, you'd think there'd be at least some women in Moldova and the "Stans" with access to the internet and a knowledge of one of the world's best-known classified advertisements websites.

Romania is FAR FAR FAR away from Uzbekistan and the "Stans" 

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Fred take a look at the personal ads for St.Pete and Moscow. Only a few ads. Guess what all the ads are in English. Check the personals for Craigslist Japan or China again most ads in English. How many women in the countries you mentioned know of Craigslist, have a computer, have an Internet connection and know enough English to write an ad? Why use Craigslist? Wouldn't they be better off using a free matchmaking service or VK or some other VK like service? 

Fred how good's your Russian. IMHO if you're looking for a foreign woman learn her language. I know lots of foreign women who've married western men, including myself, never yet heard any of the women say I wish my husband didn't speak my language. From what I've learned on RUA very few WM speak Russian well enough to carry on anything more than a simple, short conversation.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
Romania is FAR FAR FAR away from Uzbekistan and the "Stans"

No need to quibble; Moldova is literally next door to Romania, and the "Stans" are a couple of thousand miles away (less than half the distance between New York and Moscow by comparison). The point I was making was that if the CL has ads from Romania and Pakistan, it's not a great stretch to imagine that at least a few women in Moldova and Central Asia would've heard of it too.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
Why use Craigslist? Wouldn't they be better off using a free matchmaking service or VK or some other VK like service?

Well, if they're desperate to escape the grinding poverty of their everyday existence, they'll use every means at their disposal, including CL. And - assuming they have access to a computer - they could easily use a translation programme, the same way that we do when necessary.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »
How many women in the countries you mentioned know of Craigslist, have a computer, have an Internet connection and know enough English to write an ad?

Well, according to what I've read on Moldova and Central Asia, large percentages of their respective populations live in the main cities, are well educated and have online access via libraries, businesses, internet cafes etc. As a matter of fact, I've corresponded with a number of central Asian women I found via free dating sites, and none of them described their homelands as technologically backward. Most of them seemed fluent enough in English to describe their present situations, so I'm assuming there are others with similar levels of access and understanding.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
Why use Craigslist? Wouldn't they be better off using a free matchmaking service or VK or some other VK like service?

Well, if they're desperate to escape the grinding poverty of their everyday existence, they'll use very means at their disposal. And - assuming they have access to a computer - they could easily use a translation programme, the same way that we do when necessary.

You're setting yourself up to be a mule for a GCG. Thread carefully.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »

I have no interest in any Global Commercialization Group.

Thanks.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »

I have no interest in any Global Commercialization Group.

Thanks.

How about a Green Card Girl?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 11:34:07 PM »
 :chuckle:
I imagine you, gentlemen, playing poker and having this conversation......

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 01:35:43 AM »
I know enough of craigslist to avoid it like the plague.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline WOVO

• Watched
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »
Fred Kruger .... oops Hill

I have had look at craigslist for Ukrainian women - but almost all these girls seem to be prostitutes / pro-daters / gold diggers, so CL is best avoid   if you ever found them in 'Stans' CL

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 05:54:17 AM »
Fred, why don't you ask Craigslist admins your question. Nobody here is qualified to answer your question.

Then you could post here the results of your enquiries. We'd all learn something. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »
Fred

With all the posts/ topics you are creating, and the large amount of free time you appear to have on your hands to write and respond to these, draws me to only one conclusion  :coffeeread:

Your not having much  or little success at this endeavour are you?  tiphat

Maybe you should seek a change in direction.  :nod:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline FredHill

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
Fred, why don't you ask Craigslist admins your question. Nobody here is qualified to answer your question.

What, I'm not allowed to blow off steam? How's this any different to complaining about Elena's redesign and how slow the site seems to be running?

the large amount of free time you appear to have on your hands to write and respond

I'm a university lecturer. Free time and long vacations come with the territory.

Your (sic) not having much or little success at this endeavour are you?

Oh, please. I'm an affluent Westerner living in a country where the GDP per capita is less than $10,000 US. Given my bank account, social position and pension plan, I'm considered more than eligible by local standards.

Go ahead: ask the obvious question.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

Well, if they're desperate to escape the grinding poverty of their everyday existence, they'll use every means at their disposal

Seeking a desperate women is a bad idea. Desperate women tend to act
desperately. Why are you asking all these ridiculous questions? have you
done any research or reading here at all?

What is your goal here?

STOP, and answer that question. What is your goal here at this site?

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »

What, I'm not allowed to blow off steam? How's this any different to complaining about Elena's redesign and how slow the site seems to be running?

Fred if you read the thread about the redesign of the EM website you'll see that a number of RUA members have said that they've communicated their frustrations with the EM website to the owners of EM. Some RUA members in the IT field have even sent in suggestions on how to improve the site.

the large amount of free time you appear to have on your hands to write and respond

I'm a university lecturer. Free time and long vacations come with the territory.

Perhaps you could use your frustrations with Craigslist as a class assignment for your students?

Your (sic) not having much or little success at this endeavour are you?

Oh, please. I'm an affluent Westerner living in a country where the GDP per capita is less than $10,000 US. Given my bank account, social position and pension plan, I'm considered more than eligible by local standards.

Go ahead: ask the obvious question.

From my understanding of FSUW you should have no problems finding a wife/lover/g/f whatever you're looking for. AFA and several others have tours to the FSU. RUA member Ed specializes in one on one custom matchmaking perhaps he can assist you. Haven't seen him posting lately, means he's probably working but I'm sure he'll show up soon. Perhaps someone can PM his email to you? If you're looking for knowledgeable assistance in your hunt for a FSUW Ed would probably be your best bet.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Lon

craigslist?, ebay!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
Shopping on craigslist, so last week   :)  I am waiting for the FSUW market to hit ebay, then we can all sell the old and bring on the 2 twenty somethings.  Not to long after that, Walmart will see the profitability of the market and really bring down the prices!

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
Does Craigslist charge fees for posting? If it does, there is your answer.

Offline Lon

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »
nope, no fees

Offline FredHill

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »
:chuckle:
I imagine you, gentlemen, playing poker and having this conversation......

Wearing hats and smoking cigars? : D

Offline FredHill

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
Desperate women tend to act desperately.

Good. I enjoy a challenge.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
Does Craigslist charge fees for posting? If it does, there is your answer.

No, Craigslist doesn't charge a cent.