The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Another question for the ladies of this board  (Read 16149 times)

Offline abashka

• Spouses Country: Finished with dating
Re: Another question for the ladies of this board
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
But those gut instincts are not usually based on a person's income, income potential, or even character.
Анекдот наиболее близок к тому, что в реальности и происходит:)

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:35 AM »
But those gut instincts are not usually based on a person's income, income potential, or even character.

What Halo is telling you Fred, is that if you're an old geezer in your 50's you'll be buggered when it comes to dating hot 20-somethings no matter if you're a playboy or a "nice"  hard working dude living in a small apartment over the local corner shop. First impressions will still show you up as an old geezer (read, dirty old man) to the average 20-something.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »

No. They're based on physical appearance. As visual creatures, it's completely normal for us to (try to) determine another's personality and status by their appearance and general demeanor. If a guy dresses like a crazy hobo, we'll probably assume he's homeless and mentally ill. If he's wearing a custom tailored suit, we might think "successful executive".

And, if he's well-dressed, handsome and articulate, we'll almost certainly believe he's honest, educated, and decent. We have no evidence to support this belief, for all we know, he could be a charismatic sociopath, but we can't help ourselves: we're biologically and sociologically programmed to equate a pretty face with a pretty heart. That's one of the main reasons why con-men are so adept at swindling complete strangers out of their life savings.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
What Halo is telling you Fred, is that if you're an old geezer in your 50's you'll be buggered when it comes to dating hot 20-somethings

The original post made no reference to age.

Thanks.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
Мужчина подумал...
и женился на той, у которой сиськи больше.

Good punchline.

Offline Ade

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 06:36:15 AM »
What Halo is telling you Fred, is that if you're an old geezer in your 50's you'll be buggered when it comes to dating hot 20-somethings

The original post made no reference to age.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

And, many can read between the lines.  :)

Thank you.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 06:45:29 AM »
... he could be a charismatic sociopath...

The ability to manipulate perceptions is a vital skill for a successful sociopath. Many is the foreign woman who  married one of them because her language skills were insufficient to detect the nuances in their conversations.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »

In this case, many would be reading too much into it.

Thanks.

Offline Ade

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »

In this case, many would be reading too much into it.

Thanks.

Perhaps, but you've already been making noise about younger women and (much) older men... it's not a great leap to think that you're an old(er) guy looking to get your (grubby) hands on a fit young thing.

You're welcome.

Offline TomT

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
Imagine that three men want to date you.

The first is a tall, handsome playboy with a hot car and lots of money. He is independently wealthy, enjoys gambling and spends most of his time drinking in nightclubs.

The second is a "regular" guy; honest, hard working and kind-hearted. He has a good job, is buying his own place, and wants a family of his own.

The third is short, fat, ugly, and unemployed. He lives in his mother's basement, where he spends most of his time eating pizza and watching Japanese cartoons.

Which one would you be most likely to date, and why?

The question quoted above is as loaded as asking the girls if they would rather eat cat, beef or rat.
~ Never underestimate the importance of subtlety.

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
The name "Fred" in my country are old men! 

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »

A 'Fred' when I was a kid was a homosexual. 'Get off me, you Fred!'
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

If that were the case young girls would not need worry about him :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »

Also reminds me of another childhood memory, in the UK we had kids magazine programme called Blue Peter (still going actually) on BBC and to educate 'the kids' into mental health issues, the show kind of adopted this old guy with quite severe mental impairment. Joey Deacon was his name. Google it.

Of course kids being kids it totally backfired and even now calling someone a 'Joey' is like implying they are mentally disabled and thick. In one episode of 'Spaced' Simon Pegg said to Nick Frost 'Get off me you Joey...!'

We'd run around the playground back then calling everyone a Joey........

Happy pre-PC days!!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »

Also reminds me of another childhood memory, in the UK we had kids magazine programme called Blue Peter (still going actually) on BBC and to educate 'the kids' into mental health issues, the show kind of adopted this old guy with quite severe mental impairment. Joey Deacon was his name. Google it.

Of course kids being kids it totally backfired and even now calling someone a 'Joey' is like implying they are mentally disabled and thick. In one episode of 'Spaced' Simon Pegg said to Nick Frost 'Get off me you Joey...!'

Happy pre-PC days!!

In a polite way, your saying some of the user names here should be changed to Joey :chuckle:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »

Happy pre-PC days!!

In a polite way, your saying some of the user names here should be changed to Joey :chuckle:

Maybe, being a Joey AND a Fred tho, that's quite the nadir for anyone....

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »

Happy pre-PC days!!

Maybe, being a Joey AND a Fred tho, that's quite the nadir for anyone....
:o :nod: :chuckle:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

Happy pre-PC days!!

I know what a Joey is, but I never knew where it came from. You learn something every day.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

Happy pre-PC days!!

I know what a Joey is, but I never knew where it came from. You learn something every day.

Here it is;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

Blue Peter and cultural impact

In 1981, the last year of his life, Joey Deacon was featured on the children's magazine programme Blue Peter for the International Year of the Disabled. He was presented as an example of a man who achieved a lot in spite of his disabilities. Despite the sensitive way in which Blue Peter covered his life, the impact was not as intended. The sights and sounds of Deacon's distinctive speech and movements had a lasting impact on young viewers, who quickly learned to imitate them. His name and mannerisms quickly became a label of ridicule in school playgrounds across the country.

Kids (and I mean me too when I was one) are total *snip*s aren't they!

Offline FredHill

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
you've already been making noise about younger women and (much) older men...

Completely different thread, unrelated to this discussion.

Thanks.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:41 PM »
The question ... is as loaded as asking the girls if they would rather eat cat, beef or rat.

Not at all, Tom. In reality, many women would date the bad boy for the excitement and keep the regular guy on standby until they're ready to settle down. As for the basement dwelling loser, he's unlikely to receive the slightest consideration, as his inner virtues are overshadowed by his disgustingly unattractive appearance.

Offline TomT

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
The question ... is as loaded as asking the girls if they would rather eat cat, beef or rat.

Not at all, Tom. In reality, many women would date the bad boy for the excitement and keep the regular guy on standby until they're ready to settle down. As for the basement dwelling loser, he's unlikely to receive the slightest consideration, as his inner virtues are overshadowed by his disgustingly unattractive appearance.

Why didn't you include an option for a fit, good-looking, financially stable guy without vices, personality disorders or communicable diseases?

p.s.

Cellar-dwellers are not necessarily disgustingly unattractive and I find it interesting that you are trying to sell (your) inner qualities whilst you rail against ugliness.

Offline AJ

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:02 PM »

rather simplistic view..but if someone held it to be generally true, why not simply date the women that had moved into the settling down phase?

additionally there are basement dwelling women as well personality wise?
so..a hat for every head

Offline FredHill

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:30 PM »
...I find it interesting that you are trying to sell (your) inner qualities whilst you rail against ugliness.

I've said nothing about my inner qualities, Tom.

Offline TomT

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
Why didn't you include an option for a fit, good-looking, financially stable guy without vices, personality disorders or communicable diseases?

You didn't answer the above question, Fred.