The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Another question for the ladies of this board  (Read 16049 times)

Offline FredHill

Another question for the ladies of this board
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »
Imagine that three men want to date you.

The first is a tall, handsome playboy with a hot car and lots of money. He is independently wealthy, enjoys gambling and spends most of his time drinking in nightclubs.

The second is a "regular" guy; honest, hard working and kind-hearted. He has a good job, is buying his own place, and wants a family of his own.

The third is short, fat, ugly, and unemployed. He lives in his mother's basement, where he spends most of his time eating pizza and watching Japanese cartoons.

Which one would you be most likely to date, and why?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Another question for the ladies of this board
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:46:54 AM »
Now you need to tell me how I look and what my life is.
Then I will make a choice.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:10:56 AM »
Now you need to tell me how I look and what my life is. Then I will make a choice.

You are a young and beautiful woman working in a large clothing store. You have finished university, but are still living at home with your parents. You have a little money which you are saving up for an apartment of your own. Oh, and your last boyfriend was a lying, cheating alcoholic who stole your money and slept with your best friend.

Offline abashka

• Spouses Country: Finished with dating
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:40:44 AM »
Now you need to tell me how I look and what my life is. Then I will make a choice.

You are a young and beautiful woman working in a large clothing store. You have finished university, but are still living at home with your parents. You have a little money which you are saving up for an apartment of your own. Oh, and your last boyfriend was a lying, cheating alcoholic who stole your money and slept with your best friend.

In this case obviously the second one:)))

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:06:31 AM »

What he's not telling you is that option #1 is 35 years old, #2 is 55 to 60 and #3 is 22

Offline FredHill

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:30:34 AM »

Why not the rich handsome guy?

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
Imagine that three men want to date you.

The first is a tall, handsome playboy with a hot car and lots of money. He is independently wealthy, enjoys gambling and spends most of his time drinking in nightclubs.

The second is a "regular" guy; honest, hard working and kind-hearted. He has a good job, is buying his own place, and wants a family of his own.

The third is short, fat, ugly, and unemployed. He lives in his mother's basement, where he spends most of his time eating pizza and watching Japanese cartoons.

Which one would you be most likely to date, and why?

We Russian women prefer not to do with hypothetical guys but with the real guys.

Your hypothetical highlighted just a few determinators of those characters. Obviously, lots of other things about each of them are not mentioned. We look at the whole picture, hope you know what it means.

On another note, what is your question behind the question? The question that you asked is apparently staged the way that the woman on this board almost predictably picks up the option # 2. What is it that you want to know from us?
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:27:24 AM »
What is your question behind the question? The question that you asked is apparently staged the way that the woman on this board almost predictably picks up the option # 2. What is it that you want to know from us?

Almost every woman I've asked this question in real life has given me the same answer. I'm curious to know why most women say they'd choose # 2 instead of # 1.

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:06:44 AM »
Are those the only options?   :8)

I'd go for an Internet troll. He already got a home - under the bridge  :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
Fred, you, and I am sure, many other men are getting confused because you can see the world only inn terms of a very few factors and worse yet, you see some of those factors as being mutually exclusive.

I can not imagine choosing a partner in a similar manner to that which you (and others) outline and sure as shit most women do not.

Try to consider your own attributes, and those of the women you seek with more nuance. Not choice is a binary choice and not attribute has only two states. In fact most choices are more complex and most attributes are scaled on a range.

When you get the hang of nuance you will probably be able to find characteristics in yourself that increase your value and similarly for the people you meet and perhaps come to know. When you understand the degree of complexity better you will also come to understand how that complexity enables a greater degree and amount of compatibility than you had previously understood t be the case.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »

This is an interesting choice of words because it implies taking credit for something that has not yet been achieved.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
What is your question behind the question? The question that you asked is apparently staged the way that the woman on this board almost predictably picks up the option # 2. What is it that you want to know from us?

Almost every woman I've asked this question in real life has given me the same answer. I'm curious to know why most women say they'd choose # 2 instead of # 1.

Are you curious to know why? The reason is that we are smart, educated and know how to answer the multiple choice hypotheticals  :-X Which have little to do with the real life, by the way  :)
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:12:03 AM »
What is your question behind the question?
:ROFL:

Are you curious to know why? The reason is that we are smart, educated and ...

... and beautiful....and successful...

Поэтому: враг не пройдет!!!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »
Are those the only options?   :8)

Does not look like real life, does not it?
 :ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
I'd go for an Internet troll. He already got a home - under the bridge  :laugh:

There is a chance that he'll inherit mom's house someday.   ;D

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »

Stop! No hurry! Listen to Belle!

We Russian women prefer not to do with hypothetical guys but with the real guys.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
You are a young and beautiful woman working in a large clothing store. You have finished university

Initially wrong thinking. Russian girl is not for studying at university to sell someone else's product, in someone else's store. Education opens up great prospects of in Russia. There is always an opportunity to open a small business: implement intellectual ideas, in accordance with the form. For primitive "Buy" - "Sell" is not necessarily the years of study at the university.

Offline FredHill

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
"Buy" - "Sell" is not necessarily the years of study at the university.

OK, then. You are the young, beautiful CEO of an independent online retail company. You are a financial wizard, your business is expanding and you already have your own home. Your prospects for the future look extremely promising.

Which one would you choose; the rich handsome playboy, the decent regular guy or the short, fat loser?

Other options include the good-looking workaholic entrepreneur, the fanatically dedicated professor of Political Science, the successful but heavy-drinking novelist, or the creepy gas-station attendant who fills up your car every morning.

Offline Halo

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »
Sorry, but your query is silly and useless, as it fails to take into account human dynamics.  What may be attractive to one woman will not be attractive to another.  What one woman seeks another will not.  You've also failed to consider factors such as compatibility (in intellect, outlooks, goals), and that elusive thing referred to as "chemistry".  So, your hypothetical can't be answered in the absence of real women looking for real men.

That, BTW, was the first response to your question, though stated far more diplomatically than is my wont.  However, Orchid is nice.  I am not.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:17 AM »
Послала бы туда же, куда и автора идиотских вопросов.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
Fred

Perhaps your questions should've been

1)  very handsome guy with a good job,  or
2)  very wealthy but UGLY, FAT guy

Offline Halo

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
This thread reminded me of a joke posted on the other forum -

Мужчина, решивший жениться, долго думал, какую из трех влюбленных в него девушек взять в жены.  Решил он каждой дать по 5000 долларов и выяснить, как они ими будут распоряжаться.

Первая накупила дорогой одежды, лучшей косметики, сходила в элитный салон красоты - в общем, сделала все, чтобы выглядеть идеально, и сказала: "Я очень люблю тебя и хочу, чтобы все знали, что я у тебя самая красивая".

Вторая истратила все деньги на своего потенциального мужа, купив ему новые костюмы, рубашки, инструменты для автомобиля, и сказала: "Ты - самое главное для меня, поэтому я истратила на тебя все деньги".

Третья пустила 5000 долларов в оборот, заработала еще 5000 и все вернула мужчине: "Я очень люблю тебя. Я сделала это, чтобы ты понял, что я умна и нерасточительна".

Мужчина подумал...
и женился на той, у которой сиськи больше.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline FredHill

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
Your query is silly and useless as it fails to take into account human dynamics.  What may be attractive to one woman will not be attractive to another.  What one woman seeks another will not.  You've also failed to consider factors such as compatibility (in intellect, outlooks, goals), and that elusive thing referred to as "chemistry".  So, your hypothetical can't be answered in the absence of real women looking for real men.

Basic psychology states that people form relationships on the basis of first impressions - for example, we often  take a liking to someone before we really know anything about them. We can also take an irrational dislike to somebody when they've done nothing to deserve our animosity. Once we've formed that first impression - either positive or negative - it's very difficult to alter that opinion; at least until we get to know the person better (and even then -- : /)

Dating is a means of testing out our first impressions. Is the tall, handsome, bad boy really as exciting as he appears? Is the genial, hard-working regular guy quite as reliable as we originally thought? Does the short, fat loser have no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

The question isn't really about the complexities of long term relationships, because our initial reactions are not particularly complicated. First impressions are simple, pure and direct. We judge people by their most superficial characteristics, such as their physical appearance, their (apparent) level of affluence, or their status within their immediate peer circle.

I mean seriously, how much do we normally know about someone before we go out on the first date? As a general rule, we follow our gut instincts at the very beginning ---

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »

I can not imagine choosing a partner in a similar manner to that which you (and others) outline and sure as shit most women do not.

There is a chance that he'll inherit mom's house someday.   ;D

Thread title is specific!!! :ROFL:

Offline Halo

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 02:02:16 AM »
But those gut instincts are not usually based on a person's income, income potential, or even character. 

Registration