The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Active duty and former military people please read!!!  (Read 5288 times)

Offline blackknight8791

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Active duty and former military people please read!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »
I will throw most of the non-US citizens for a bigger loop.  Someone on this board was asking me questions about marrying in Ukraine about documents needed so they can take advantage of this parole in place. 

You can actually marry your wife on the El Paso bridge with a Texas marriage license.  Marriage officiated by an El Paso County Judge.  My wife and I actually got re-married on the bridge in El  Paso using this method.  It is a easy marriage to authenticate and cost $70 for the marriage license and $115 for the El Paso County Judge.  We did this the day before we crossed the border.  I was advised to do this because it for the parole in place because they CBP people know your marriage license is legitimate and authentic. 

This is also the marriage license we submitted to UCIS for our I-130.  You could do this whole process in 48 hours.  You get married on the bridge take your wife back home to your hotel while you drive across to the El Paso County Courthouse to get your marriage filed.  While filing your marriage license remember to ask for 5 for 6 certified copies.  It only cost $3 for a certified copy and it is easier to get them up front.

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
I posted this topic and subject so US veterans and service men know they do not have to wait a year or longer to bring their loved ones into the USA.  I have proved this process.  My wife is here today because of it and you have an option.  I do not know if our friends from Europe and abroad have a similar process and I really do not care.  My wife has now been in the States since early July and we are very grateful that the US government put this program into place.  It is a very simple procedure and you do not need to wait. 

I posted an image of our Texas marriage license and almost posted a picture of her I-94 but I felt there was no need.  She is here in El Paso with me and that is all that matters.   The US Mexico border has many places you can cross.  CBP is full of veterans.  UCIS also has a veterans affairs officer in most large locations.  These people will help you.  I have found them to be very helpful. 

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Griffin, if you plan to drag a woman around the world on the off chance that you can take advantage of this plan then you are both selfish and stupid.

There's no need for you to do this, you won't be able to prove a humanitarian need and your relationship will suffer.

Obviously what you do is your choice (and your inamorata's). When you import her to Mexico on a tourist visa, what then? What when you cross the border but not she?

Think these things through, eh?

Think of it this way, given the terms of the regulation upon which your wheeze depends, if your innamorata is able to travel to Mexico then it is bloody hard to argue that there is a humanitarian issue - she can obviously travel freely and afford expensive vacations and the tourist visa itself tells that an intent and ability to return are both in place.

Have fun, do tell us how well it goes for you!

Andrew.  The memo spells it out.  You do not need a humanitarian reason to bring your wife here on Parole in Place.  The simple issue a humanitarian visa.  The reason they issue the visa is because the US Government is thankful for a veterans service and they do not feel the added stress of being apart is good for the families of the veteran.  You are not asking for asylum.  You are asking that the government grant Parole in Place to your spouse so she can adjust her status.   Read the memo.  I am not a big fan of the Obama administration but by creating this path they got it right for once.  Veterans got a great added benefit.  Now if you did not serve in the US Military you do not qualify.  Sorry this is for US service members or veterans only.  Veterans are getting a special benefit. 

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »
Veterans are getting a special benefit.

That would be seen as discrimination over here lol!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »

This next quote is taken from the memorandum.

"Similarly, our veterans, who have served and sacrificed for our nation, can face stress and anxiety because of the immigration status of their family members in the United States. We as a nation have made a commitment to our veterans, to support and care for them. It is a commitment that begins at enlistment, and continues as they become veterans."

Thank you for your service!!!

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »

I would not walk into a local British/UK VFW (I saw one in Lymm Village) and say that to the real British/Scots UK Veterans of Gulf 1, 2 Afghan and Iraq and now ISIS campaigns - they were a jolly but seriously tough bunch just like us but willing to follow Prince Harry to the gates of hell and beyond in defense of crown and country.  God bless the UK and God save the Queen and her loyal royal military serving family.  At the end of the day solid tough reliable allies.  <Insert Hand Salute emoticon here>.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
A. Parole in Place for Spouses, Children and Parents of Active Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, Individuals in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve or Individuals Who Previously Served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve 

As noted above, the decision whether to grant parole under INA § 212(d)(5)(A) is discretionary.  Generally, parole in place is to be granted only sparingly.  The fact that the individual is a spouse, child or parent of an Active Duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, an individual in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve or an individual who previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, however, ordinarily weighs heavily in favor of parole in place.  Absent a criminal conviction or other serious adverse factors, parole in place would generally be an appropriate exercise of discretion for such an individual. If USCIS5 decides to grant parole in that situation, the parole should be authorized in one-year increments, with re-parole as appropriate.

Offline yankee

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
It sounds screwie to me.  I don't think I would put my wife through this.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
It sounds screwie to me.  I don't think I would put my wife through this.

Yankee?  Are you a veteran?

If you are a veteran that is your decision, but  My wife and I made another choice and we are happy we did.  It saved us several months of being apart.  Most veterans do not realize that they have incredible resources that they are not aware of.  Most people do not realize that UCIS has a veterans affair officer.  We not only got parole in place but we got approved for an expidited I-130 application. 

This is from the email UCIS sent me regarding our I-130 application.

The status of this service request is:

You or your representative contacted USCIS to notify us that you are requesting an expedited review of your case. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.

Your case has been forwarded for expedited review. Please check case status online for further updates on your application processing. 

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank you UCIS veterans affairs.  I know most of you people on your high horse would not think about asking to have your I-130 application expeditated but I was recommended to do this by the veterans affair office at UCIS.  I made the request over the phone and 3 days letter this was emailed to me. 

Offline yankee

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
I am a vetran, combat vetran.
We got married in 2008 and did not get any help.  None was made visible to us.  All I will say is that it was not an enjoyable experience which eventually led to the loss of my job.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »
My wife and I did make mistakes in the way we proceeded and it did cause us problems.  Where we made a mistake is we should of had our immigration attorney call the port of entery an pre-arrange her entry by sending our documents ahead.  If we would or pre-arranged her entry with the port authority we would of had no hang ups.

That's the part that bothered me.

Was this guy much of an attorney that didn't know what to do and how to do it?

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
My wife and I did make mistakes in the way we proceeded and it did cause us problems.  Where we made a mistake is we should of had our immigration attorney call the port of entery an pre-arrange her entry by sending our documents ahead.  If we would or pre-arranged her entry with the port authority we would of had no hang ups.

That's the part that bothered me.

Was this guy much of an attorney that didn't know what to do and how to do it?

From what I have learned about immigration attorneys they want you to have a drawn out process.  That means they make more $$$$$$.  Parole in Place happens so quickly they can't make the $$$$$ on your case that they normally could.  Just my experience. 

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
I am a vetran, combat vetran.
We got married in 2008 and did not get any help.  None was made visible to us.  All I will say is that it was not an enjoyable experience which eventually led to the loss of my job.

Thank you for your service.  Sorry for the problems you experienced.  Those problems are a perfect example of why Parole in Place was created.  It was not necessary for you and your spouse to suffer during that time.  You are a veteran of the US armed services.   Too bad this program was not around during that time.  You and your spouse deserved better.   My wife is already here on this program.  I am trying to make all veterans and service men aware of the resources available to them.   

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
I for one am grateful to Sir Blackknight for sharing his experiences and info on this new honorably discharged US Military Veterans benefit - seems like a lot of cost and aggravation can be shaved off the process of bringing a traditional wife back to the USA...  my reading of the info in the PDF - yes I read the entire PDF is that a woman who is already here - say student or visitors visa - could also be converted to parole in place status with expedited Green Card status - seems to open a lot of options as long as they 1. Did not come here illegally and 2. Do not have a criminal record.  Which would be a bad idea to make a criminal your wife - a violation of all red pill wisdom and rules.   :smokin:

Amazing that this was all done nice clean and legal even the El Paso Bridge marriage with a Judge for short money and no bribes required like other countries we know!

BK Thank you again for sharing the info, links and lawyers referrals.

Curious which major border crossing safer on the Mexico side Ciudad Juarez or Tiajuana?

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
I for one am grateful to Sir Blackknight for sharing his experiences and info on this new honorably discharged US Military Veterans benefit - seems like a lot of cost and aggravation can be shaved off the process of bringing a traditional wife back to the USA...  my reading of the info in the PDF - yes I read the entire PDF is that a woman who is already here - say student or visitors visa - could also be converted to parole in place status with expedited Green Card status - seems to open a lot of options as long as they 1. Did not come here illegally and 2. Do not have a criminal record.  Which would be a bad idea to make a criminal your wife - a violation of all red pill wisdom and rules.   :smokin:

Amazing that this was all done nice clean and legal even the El Paso Bridge marriage with a Judge for short money and no bribes required like other countries we know!

Curious which major border crossing safer on the Mexico side Ciudad Juarez or Tiajuana?

I would cross in either place but with the attorneys I recommended I would chose El Paso because the attorneys are here in El Paso.  You could be out of Juarez in 48 to 72 hours if you did the process very quickly.   Tijuana is nice place to cross as well but I have no legal connections there.  I can also get you connected with a US Senator's office that loves helping veterans if you are in the area.  I will post a Youtube video tonight and provide a link.   It will be a Parole in Place for the less informed.  I want to help. 

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »

I would cross in either place but with the attorneys I recommended I would chose El Paso because the attorneys are here in El Paso.  You could be out of Juarez in 48 to 72 hours if you did the process very quickly.   Tijuana is nice place to cross as well but I have no legal connections there.  I can also get you connected with a US Senator's office that loves helping veterans if you are in the area.  I will post a Youtube video tonight and provide a link.   It will be a Parole in Place for the less informed.  I want to help.

Bridge wedding are also only done in Texas from my research.  El Paso County does a great job accomadating these.  You stand in Texas while your wife stands in Mexico.  The judge stands in the middle of the two countries.  But it is a Texas marriage registered in El Paso County. 

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
Long story short, it is possible (and easy) to have a U.S. marriage ceremony performed on an international bridge, without the foreign citizen needing to cross over into the States.

It's not a proxy marriage, it's a bonafide 100% authentic American wedding recognized by the State of Texas and the US Government. I don't know if other border cities have a similar process, or if the same thing is even possible in New Mexico, Arizona, or California, but in El Paso County, it's quite commonplace for couples planning on immigration, and according to lawyers I've asked and anecdotal evidence, this United States marriage is a bit BETTER for immigration proceedings than a Mexican marriage. No need to translate or notarize or apostille any marriage documents, no medical exams, no prenuptual family talks, no special government permission.

Now, the details on how it works:

First, a marriage license in Texas (El Paso County anyway) is $72. To file for it, if the MX citizen can't cross, they fill out an Affidavit of Absent Applicant for Marriage License. This is NOT the same as proxy marriage! Absent for the marriage license application, NOT absent for the marriage. In the space for the reason for absence, the county clerk instructed me to write "No visa to cross to United States yet." (anything feasible is valid: hospital stay, army deployment, unexpected out of town trip right before a planned wedding, whatever - it's not scrutinized much) Any mobile notary can walk to the center of an international bridge to notarize it with the MX citizen's signature. There are tons of notaries public in El Paso who do this. (it must be a United States notary. I'm shopping around for prices, first notary I asked charges $125, second charges $75.. waiting on more answers, but notaries are pretty much free to charge whatever they want, so I could find a cheaper one). The US Citizen brings the notarized affidavit, original birth certificates, original divorce papers (if necessary - in TX, you have to be divorced at least one month), and original IDs to the county clerk and files for the marriage license (must be an original ID even for the absent person - but a passport is valid, I specifically asked since I don't want to take my fiance's ID card with me to El Paso for a day. I do still need to ask if his birth certificate and divorce papers need to be translated to English and/or apostilled).
 Texas has a 3 day waiting period before the license is issued, then the wedding must be performed within 30 days. Unlike Mexico, it doesn't matter one bit if one person isn't American. No special permission is needed, no nada. Texas doesn't care. I assume the US Citizen has to be a Texas resident, but I didn't ask about that since I hold TX residency.

Once you have the marriage license, one El Paso County judge, Judge Guadalupe Aponte, performs marriages on the Cordova International Bridge (the free bridge, the only one without a toll, at the end of US highway 54). The ceremony costs $155. Just like the notary, she walks halfway across the bridge to the international line, and performs the marriage ceremony exactly the same she would in any Texas courtroom, church, or backyard.

And there you have it. How to have a bonafide United States wedding without technically being on United States soil, with no proxy business. This happens ALL the time in El Paso, and the vast majority of the couples I know personally who have gone the marriage route for immigration have done it this way, including multiple members of my fiance's family.

PS the 3 day wait for your marriage license can we be waived.  The Judge will provide a waiver on request.  My wife and I waived the 3 day wait. 

I hope this can help someone!

Offline GriffinCO

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
This is gonna help me a ton.  The bridge wedding is brilliant.  :)

No need to be a Texas Resident: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/files/cs/12required.pdf

Looks like you could get away with only a Passport?  Would probably be a good idea to have a few apostilled copies of birth certificate available regardless.

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
This is gonna help me a ton.  The bridge wedding is brilliant.  :)

No need to be a Texas Resident: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/files/cs/12required.pdf

Looks like you could get away with only a Passport?  Would probably be a good idea to have a few apostilled copies of birth certificate available regardless.

For a bridge wedding all you need is her apostilized birth certificate with translation, your birth certificate, her passport, and your drivers license.  You will need to get a notary from El Paso to meet you on the bridge so they can notarize her signature on the absentee marriage license application.  You then take the application back and they issue you a marriage license.  At this point you make your appointment with the Judge.  Judge Moody did our wedding he was great.  Short and sweet. 

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine

Offline blackknight8791

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
Noticed this on visa journey.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/369743-us-marriage-ceremony-on-international-bridge/

That is where I posted the article from.  Bridge weddings are convenient.

Registration