The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sanctions On Russia Will Cripple The Economy  (Read 119418 times)

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Sanctions On Russia Will Cripple The Economy
« Reply #1700 on: September 02, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
So,  the hookers are earning twice as much money
I have noticed that there is a huge increase in the price of professional sex in central America also. This seem to be happening whether the country economy is booming or not.
It is well known fact that the prices for the services provided by the "oldest profession" on the world,  follow the same pattern of supply and Demand.

What I think is the big driver is for some crazy reason sex tourist are no longer afraid of AIDS. I know in central America back a number of years ago there was a big drop in the price of sex when the AIDS was in the news all the time.

Sex tourists and desperate men.... never stopped having sex with condoms but the fact remains that they were so desperate of not having sex with a normal woman or lover.... that would go so far just to have "sex"!

Even the few guys that would go down there would only buy the girls drinks and grab them a few times but would not pay for it. That has seem to all changed much to the delight of the many poor, dishonest, money hungry, scamming young women in that part of the world.

Maybe Russia is feeling part of the same boom.

What appalling and disgraceful behavior and attitude from these desperate men..... towards poor and desperate women who were/are selling their services for survival.

I don't know much about prostitution in Russia as only went there and met women with whom I had previously got in contact via the internet sites.

Any how I never had a problem having a local girlfriend, so never had the desire to go so far for sex?

Wiz is spot on, I would express my thinking with other words, but in the end it would be the same.

While I am not at all certain of the prices to be with a whore in any place on this world - I accept the reality that women unfortunately have to use there only asset to survive.  ???

The part that I bolded from Wiz is sad but true.

Here is a song about this topic > <
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1701 on: September 02, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
While I am not at all certain of the prices to be with a whore in any place on this world - I accept the reality that women unfortunately have to use there only asset to survive.  ???

I think there is a big difference between women who freely decide to sell their bodies and women who are forced to have sex against their wishes for the profit of others.

The former is a basic economic decision and should be a right of free choice for any woman.  It's a personal services contract no different than when you go to a dentist to have him fix your teeth or a plumber to fix the pipes in your house. 

The later is a horrible crime against mankind and human slavery in it's worst form.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #1702 on: September 02, 2017, 09:57:21 AM »

I think there is a big difference between women who freely decide to sell their bodies and women who are forced to have sex against their wishes for the profit of others.

The former is a basic economic decision and should be a right of free choice for any woman.  It's a personal services contract no different than when you go to a dentist to have him fix your teeth or a plumber to fix the pipes in your house. 

The later is a horrible crime against mankind and human slavery in it's worst form.

True, there is a difference. Sad though that there no feelings involved except the lowest.

Offline Halo

« Reply #1703 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Russia sanctions to be lifted once Ukraine ceasefire is agreed, says Merkel

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/angela-merkel-russia-sanctions-to-be-lifted-once-ukraine-ceasefire-is-agreed.html

Oh how CNBC loves to rewrite the history of the world, even though it all happened in 2014

FTA

Russia has been subject to sanctions from the European Union, the U.S. and several countries since 2014 when it backed pro-Russian and anti-government groups in the Donbass regions of eastern Ukraine, resulting in major conflict and the annexation of the Ukrainian territory of Crimea.

No, Crimea saw the Maidan, saw the bandera/nazi's running around and decided to split off from Ukraine fully. (They were already a very independent republic with much of their own laws)

After that, they asked Russia to join through a Referendum. The militia on the picture are actually Crimea's forces + unnamed forces later identified as the RU-Army.

LOL at revisionist history, with the added chutzpah of claiming someone else was wrong!

Most of the first protesters at Maidan were paid by Kolomoisky and Tymoshenko.  And later protesters were not, predominantly, neo Nazis, although those that kept order on Maidan have been accused of being neo Nazis.  The majority of protesters after those first paid protesters were ordinary Ukrainian citizens.

My husband was in Kiev for part of the time of Maidan.  He spoke to protesters.  No neo nazis.

The only recorded death was a private dispute between 2 army men, who were Ukrainian at the time but everyone is trying to pinpoint 1 as Russian so there would have been a death. I discussed this in a very fact-driven thread with Moby a lot of times.

Untrue.  The death was caused by a Russian sniper.  Two other troops were injured at the same time, but survived.  Another soldier, a naval officer, was killed by a Russian marine, but that was in an argument as the officer was packing to leave. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #1704 on: September 02, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
Russia sanctions to be lifted once Ukraine ceasefire is agreed, says Merkel

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/angela-merkel-russia-sanctions-to-be-lifted-once-ukraine-ceasefire-is-agreed.html

Oh how CNBC loves to rewrite the history of the world, even though it all happened in 2014

FTA

Russia has been subject to sanctions from the European Union, the U.S. and several countries since 2014 when it backed pro-Russian and anti-government groups in the Donbass regions of eastern Ukraine, resulting in major conflict and the annexation of the Ukrainian territory of Crimea.

No, Crimea saw the Maidan, saw the bandera/nazi's running around and decided to split off from Ukraine fully. (They were already a very independent republic with much of their own laws)

After that, they asked Russia to join through a Referendum. The militia on the picture are actually Crimea's forces + unnamed forces later identified as the RU-Army.

LOL at revisionist history, with the added chutzpah of claiming someone else was wrong!

Most of the first protesters at Maidan were paid by Kolomoisky and Tymoshenko.  And later protesters were not, predominantly, neo Nazis, although those that kept order on Maidan have been accused of being neo Nazis.  The majority of protesters after those first paid protesters were ordinary Ukrainian citizens.

My husband was in Kiev for part of the time of Maidan.  He spoke to protesters.  No neo nazis.
I am talking about how it was portrayed in both ukr and russian news. This is what crimea saw. No more and no less.
That the reality was different in hindsight is a given.
The only recorded death was a private dispute between 2 army men, who were Ukrainian at the time but everyone is trying to pinpoint 1 as Russian so there would have been a death. I discussed this in a very fact-driven thread with Moby a lot of times.

Untrue.  The death was caused by a Russian sniper.  Two other troops were injured at the same time, but survived.  Another soldier, a naval officer, was killed by a Russian marine, but that was in an argument as the officer was packing to leave.
So first you say untrue and then agree with me in the end. Strange. And it wasnt a ru naval officer. It was a ukrainian defector to russia military. He was ukr at that time though

Have some news articles on the sniper attack?
Mark
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Halo

« Reply #1705 on: September 02, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
No, I didn't agree with you.  A Russian marine killed the officer.  Not someone from his own side.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26637296
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #1706 on: September 02, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
No, I didn't agree with you.  A Russian marine killed the officer.  Not someone from his own side.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26637296
It was. I discussed that at length with moby. Your bbc article at the time couldnt even keep his name the same. I dunno if they corrected that by now. I will quote the other replies later
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Halo

« Reply #1707 on: September 02, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »
Irrelevant.  I could link numerous Ukrainian reports.  You'd take issue with those as well.  I just chose one that was reported in English.

There is little doubt the soldier was killed by Russian troops, because of his location.

BTW, I have a relative who moved to Kerch from Kiev.  Did so because his wife is originally from there, and once she had a child, she wanted to be near her mother.  By his accounts, life there is more difficult than in Ukraine, and that is saying something.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #1708 on: September 02, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
Irrelevant.  I could link numerous Ukrainian reports.  You'd take issue with those as well.  I just chose one that was reported in English.

There is little doubt the soldier was killed by Russian troops, because of his location.

BTW, I have a relative who moved to Kerch from Kiev.  Did so because his wife is originally from there, and once she had a child, she wanted to be near her mother.  By his accounts, life there is more difficult than in Ukraine, and that is saying something.

Perhaps they should move to evpatoria. Life there is easier than ukraine. My wifes family lives there.

I read the bbc article. It contained no verifyable things now. Well done internet. This article is useless in discerning the truth
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #1709 on: September 02, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »
For Halo, the end of the previous discussion about this death complete with links and my outstanding un-answered questions:

Oh i'm sorry, so after I fully debunked your dead officer, now you switch to some major being held captive in an army base.
I aint doing your home work again. But it is equally preposterous as the other event (i.e. dead officer).

MARKJE

1/ how can you 'debunk' a situation that has been explained to you and you fail to deal with  ?

2/ the situation I have relayed  has not changed -- just your 'excuses'

Lets refresh your memory then?
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg428877.html#msg428877
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg428958.html#msg428958
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg429154.html#msg429154

The officer was shot in his own home on the 5th floor of an apartment block, not in some sort of barracks. (Reuters).
The officer was apparently having a dispute with some local (Russian?) army man.
I did some digging on that dispute, with relatives in Crimea. The dispute was between two army personell of Ukraine, one wanted to defect (the shooter, whom became Russian army but at that time was still enlisted in Ukrainian army) and one to return to Ukraine mainland (the victim). (source, Crimean newspapers at that time.).
The Shooter did not use a russian-army std. Rifle, but another type (AK74, Reuters, or AK47 (your link). Neither an AK74-M which is std. Russian army.
You will note, that the AK74 (Reuters) IS the standard Ukrainian army rifle.

All roads lead me to the same conclusion however, This keeps smelling like a 'private' dispute nothing to do with the valid referendum going on in Crimea.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Halo

« Reply #1710 on: September 02, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »

Perhaps they should move to evpatoria. Life there is easier than ukraine. My wifes family lives there.

I read the bbc article. It contained no verifyable things now. Well done internet. This article is useless in discerning the truth

How would you know life is easier than in Ukraine?  What personal experience do you, or your inlaws, have?

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #1711 on: September 02, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
Halo, Thank you for reengaging again here.

Can you go to the thread that infact you started and tell me your thinking. Av

Offline Halo

« Reply #1712 on: September 02, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
Did so for Manny. :)

I will need a link, Av.

I'll also add to the previous post, that Evtaporia and Kerch are about an hour away from each other, by bus, so it's not likely life differs much in each locale.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1713 on: September 02, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
Far more than an hour apart are those two.

Offline Halo

« Reply #1714 on: September 02, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Ok, 2 1/2 hours.  They are about 275 km apart.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1715 on: September 02, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
Far more than an hour apart are those two.

By bus? Try 6 hours 35 minutes. ????????????

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #1716 on: September 03, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »

How would you know life is easier than in Ukraine?  What personal experience do you, or your inlaws, have?

The day russia took over her pension doubled. As did her salary.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #1717 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #1718 on: September 08, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

It was. I discussed that at length with moby. Your bbc article at the time couldnt even keep his name the same. I dunno if they corrected that by now. I will quote the other replies later

NO.. you did NOT .. I mostly used used local Ukrainian news  - you simply can't get that he was  effectively killed when held for refusing to join the Russian side   - he was unarmed and shot by someone guarding him

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #1719 on: October 01, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
Russia Ranks 38th On Competitiveness List; Kazakhstan 57th

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-38-competitiveness-list-kazakhstan-57/28766986.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #1720 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »
NO.. you did NOT .. I mostly used used local Ukrainian news  - you simply can't get that he was  effectively killed when held for refusing to join the Russian side   - he was unarmed and shot by someone guarding him
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg428877.html#msg428877
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg428958.html#msg428958
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,22510.msg429154.html#msg429154

There was noone killed for refusing to join Russia. The man you desperately cling to, was killed in a private dispute when one Ukr officer shot another and the survivor went and joined Russia.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #1721 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »
Western media would have you believe that the United states Germany and other countries relationship with Russia has dwindled down to nothing, yet many businesses are increasing business ties in Russia.

US companies positive on developing business in Russia — economy ministerMore:

http://tass.com/economy/970614http://tass.com/economy/970614

Trade between Russia and Germany up 25% in 2017More:http://tass.com/economy/970260http://tass.com/economy/970260

Offline Texan77

« Reply #1722 on: October 13, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
Western media would have you believe that the United states Germany and other countries relationship with Russia has dwindled down to nothing, yet many businesses are increasing business ties in Russia.

US companies positive on developing business in Russia — economy ministerMore:

http://tass.com/economy/970614http://tass.com/economy/970614

Trade between Russia and Germany up 25% in 2017More:http://tass.com/economy/970260http://tass.com/economy/970260

First I can not read your article. It says error 404

Which western media articles are you talking about? I have not read anything about Business ties between Russia and the west in a long time.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

« Reply #1723 on: October 14, 2017, 04:41:58 AM »
Correct link, Texan: http://tass.com/economy/970614
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #1724 on: October 14, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Moscow’s Plan to Beat Sanctions? ‘Russia First!’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/moscows-plan-to-beat-sanctions-russia-first

Registration