The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Dual Citizenship registration for FSUW  (Read 110491 times)

Offline TrevorM

Re: Dual Citizenship registration for FSUW
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
Admins - perhaps this thread should be moved to the Visa, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation section and made sticky?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
Mrs. Fashionista,
I am so glad that you came to this forum.
It is so good to have you here!

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
I plan to go to Russian because of this new law in the end of September. Plus, there are other things for me to arrange there.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
Mrs. Fashionista,
I am so glad that you came to this forum.
It is so good to have you here!

Thank you  :nod:

Offline Steamer

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I guess the US isn't the only gov. with confusing regulations and red tape.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Online sparky114

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
Sparky, your wife need not do her UK passport translation,  copy will be enough.

This is where the old saying of you mileage may vary

we need to have it translated and notorised and stamped by the local police chief in our Region :(

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online sparky114

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
Thanks Mendy.

- The FMA has stressed that any entry into Russia, no matter how short that visit may be, you must register prior to leaving Russia. (That may impact those planning holiday travel when many state offices are closed for extended periods of time.)

That may indeed cause problems.

Probably a question for Sparky:-

Do you have any idea how long the process takes? Is it just a question of getting the forms from OVIR, completing them and visiting FMS? In short, could it be done in a single day?

So far we are at 3 days and counting Trevor

Mark

Online sparky114

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
I plan to go to Russian because of this new law in the end of September. Plus, there are other things for me to arrange there.

This is why my wife has stayed on this time to sort this out

Mark

Offline Manny

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Admins - perhaps this thread should be moved to the Visa, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation section and made sticky?

I agree. Done.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
we need to have it translated and notorised and stamped by the local police chief in our Region :(

Getting important documents translated and notarised in Russia is a standard procedure i've found.  Good luck Sparky!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
Thanks to both Belle and Fashionista, for those additions and further clarifications.  tiphat

Online sparky114

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
So It has been Done  :party0011:

We have now informed the Russian Gov that Mrs Sparky has Dual nationality

Why or what they will use it for who knows but we have complied with the Russian law and time will tell what hoops we will jump through in the future.

So here we go timeline

Go to UFMS collect form

Get Passport translated photocopied and notorised

Go back to UFMS and get it accepted and stamped

Go to local police office and register the stamped copy from UFMS (we think this is a special requirement because of close proximity to the troubles in the Donbass area) no real reason given just at this moment in time you need to wifey was told.

Total time taken spread over 3 days about 6 hours most of which was spent in busy UFMS office and various offices not being open and appointment for Notary.

Cost 1200 roubles

Mark

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »

Go to UFMS collect form

Go to local police office and register the stamped copy from UFMS (we think this is a special requirement because of close proximity to the troubles in the Donbass area) no real reason given just at this moment in time you need to wifey was told.

Total time taken spread over 3 days about 6 hours most of which was spent in busy UFMS office and various offices not being open and appointment for Notary.

Cost 1200 roubles

Thanks for your detailed information! If I understand you correctly, you have done it by the postal way while still staying outside of Russia? Why do you say that you WENT to the UFMS to get your documents accepted?

I did not quite understand why do you need to get her passport translated? If she has a Russian passport, why to translate it?

Is there a particular form on the UFMS site to fill out and to print?
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »

Why or what they will use it for who knows but we have complied with the Russian law and time will tell what hoops we will jump through in the future.

So here we go timeline

Go to UFMS collect form

Cost 1200 roubles

So that's about 62p at the current Rouble rate?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online sparky114

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:57 PM »

Go to UFMS collect form

Cost 1200 roubles

Thanks for your detailed information! If I understand you correctly, you have done it by the postal way while still staying outside of Russia? Why do you say that you WENT to the UFMS to get your documents accepted?

I did not quite understand why do you need to get her passport translated? If she has a Russian passport, why to translate it?

Hi Belle

No My wife has done this whilst in the country, it a hell of a lot easier this way as i understand

It was her British passport she had to photocopy and have translated and the translation of this notorised

All document had to be taken to her local UFMS office to be verified and stamped after this, the police part is i think just because we are very close to the border with Donetsk region of Ukraine

As for the web site we did not use as we were in Country

Hope that helps

Mark

Online sparky114

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »

So here we go timeline

Go to UFMS collect form

Cost 1200 roubles

So that's about 62p at the current Rouble rate?

Ohh i wish, but maybe soon if it keeps going like this  :chuckle:

As a sideline great time to invest in some roubles for anyone thinking of travelling soon  tiphat

Mark

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »
 Sparky114,
Did they put a stamp in Russian passport?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »
That's what I think.
They create a database for now.
Then they will decide what to do with all of us or with each of us.  :rolleye0009:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »
That's what I think.
They create a database for now.
Then they will decide what to do with all of us or with each of us.  :rolleye0009:

Of course a paranoid, conspiracy theorist type of person might think the Russians are creating a database so their security services could create foreign IDs for their spies. Then again that's not really so far fetched, the Israelis did and probably still do something like that for their Mossad/security service agents.  :hidechair: :hidechair: 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Online sparky114

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
Sparky114,
Did they put a stamp in Russian passport?

Not sure,  i will ask :)

Mark

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:03 AM »

So if we download and complete the forms and get a notarised copy of wifey's UK passport, we should be able to do it in a single day, or at most two, which we could manage on a St Petersburg (where wifey is registered) stopover on our way to Crimea next Summer, much as we did this year.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »

Go to UFMS collect form

Cost 1200 roubles

Hi Belle

No My wife has done this whilst in the country, it a hell of a lot easier this way as i understand

It was her British passport she had to photocopy and have translated and the translation of this notorised

All document had to be taken to her local UFMS office to be verified and stamped after this, the police part is i think just because we are very close to the border with Donetsk region of Ukraine

As for the web site we did not use as we were in Country

Hope that helps

Thank you! So she did this in person.

I srill don't understand why did you have to translate and notarize her British passport? I went by the link provided by you, and the rule says that

Из норм Федерального закона от 31 мая 2002 г. № 62-ФЗ «О гражданстве Российской Федерации» в редакции Федерального закона от 4 июня 2014 г. № 142-ФЗ «О внесении изменений в статьи 6 и 30 Федерального закона «О гражданстве Российской Федерации» и отдельные законодательные акты Российской Федерации» следует, что достаточно предоставления обычных копий документов без перевода на русский язык.

Meaning that the photocopies of the documents, without a translations into Russian, are sufficient.

Offline MrMann

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 07:28:13 AM »
Quote from: The Moscow Times
About 43,000 Russian citizens have been punished for not declaring a second passport or foreign residency permit since a deadline for reporting dual citizenship expired two months ago, a news report said Friday.

Those found to be in violation of the law were fined between 500 rubles ($9) and 1,000 rubles ($18), though no criminal cases have so far been brought, the Kommersant business daily reported, citing an unnamed parliamentary source.

State agencies that oversee the hunt for those holding dual citizenship, including the Federal Migration Service, have yet to comment on the report.

Under a law passed in June, Russians with a second passport or foreign residency permit were obliged to report themselves to authorities by Oct. 4.

Failure to do so could lead to an administrative or criminal case being brought, with the latter carrying penalties of up to 400 hours of community service or a fine of 200,000 rubles ($3,700).

The rules may be softened by the year's end, the State Duma source was cited as saying.

Under a new bill, Russians who missed the deadline because they were living abroad will be exempt from liability, but will be required to inform the authorities about their extra passports or foreign residency permits within 30 days of setting foot on Russian soil.

About 600,000 Russians disclosed second citizenship or foreign residency permit by the deadline, according to official figures.

But according to estimates by the think tank Migration XXI Century in Moscow, the total number of Russians holding multiple passports and/or residing abroad is estimated by experts at up to 10 million, the RBC Daily news site reported earlier.

Russia does not explicitly prohibit holding a second passport, but limits the rights of dual citizens, who have been banned from serving as state officials since 2004.

Migration experts said at the time of the law's passing that it would help them in their hunt for members of Russia's "fifth column," fueled by the Kremlin's souring relations with the West.

Source: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/43-000-russians-fined-over-multiple-citizenship-report-says/512634.html

The original Kommersant article is here. I also found this one which may be of interest to some: http://kommersantuk.com/?p=3773

Offline heijdenj

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
Can anyone help me with this one  :'(.

My wife, from Novokuibyshevsk (near Samara) arrived in Samara on Sunday. Today she tried to register her double nationality at two offices of the  federal immigration UFMC. Nobody seems to know where she can hand in her documents. At the first office she was directed to the second office (after a long wait), then at the second office she was directed back to the first office again (after a long wait again). Now the day has gone by and she is back at square one.

Does anybody have any experience in the Samara region where she should go to hand in her documents?
Is there another way to arrange it?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Jan

Offline Gitana

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
Just forget it! It is no longer necessary. The law was repealed.