The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Discussion about Media Article Links on the Troubles in Ukraine/Novorossiya Topic  (Read 40201 times)

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/2019-could-be-very-bad-year-ukraine-22567

At least in the short term, it costs less to steal natural gas than to buy it. It amazes me that Russia continues to give Ukraine this opportunity; it amazes me more that other gas suppliers think that they will actually get paid; it amazes me most of all that thieves believe that their thievery can continue forever.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/2019-could-be-very-bad-year-ukraine-22567

At least in the short term, it costs less to steal natural gas than to buy it. It amazes me that Russia continues to give Ukraine this opportunity; it amazes me more that other gas suppliers think that they will actually get paid; it amazes me most of all that thieves believe that their thievery can continue forever.

As you know already, Ukraine is steeped in thievery and corruption so why not believe it can continue forever?
I just finished reading an article about hackers that had taken over 100 million dollars. German and American authorities spent a few years investigating, with Ukrainian police busted the hackers, only to have the Ukrainian in charge free the suspected leader the next day.
Of course his whereabouts are unknown.
If you have enough money you can buy your way out of most anything in Ukraine.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
20,000 Nazis March in Kiev. The Western Media Somehow Fails to Notice

http://russia-insider.com/en/20000-nazis-march-kiev-western-media-somehow-fails-notice/ri21294

Try like perhaps, maybe 2,000.

A few streets are closed off and there are police, more than normal in the area. Seeing that different interests protest on an almost daily basis in an around the Rada and Government buildings one can guess what is the agenda of the Russian Insider.  :pointlaugh:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia

http://russia-insider.com/en/20000-nazis-march-kiev-western-media-somehow-fails-notice/ri21294

A few streets are closed off and there are police, more than normal in the area. Seeing that different interests protest on an almost daily basis in an around the Rada and Government buildings one can guess what is the agenda of the Russian Insider.  :pointlaugh:

Watched a couple videos and I do doubt twenty thousand, but looked to be bit more than you suggest.
Protests like this would definitely be blamed on Trump if it took place in the United states.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online AvHdB

Watched a couple videos and I do doubt twenty thousand, but looked to be bit more than you suggest.
Protests like this would definitely be blamed on Trump if it took place in the United states.

Today, Saturday, went for a walk and we ended up at the Mariinsky Park, which is anchoured at one end by the Rada. It was almost surreal or dystopian, babushka's with there little dogs, Right Sector militia, and kids using Segway's. Opposite the Rada is a portion fenced off, occupied by those of the a Ukrainian Nationalist tint. Both ends are open and people make there way way through, lovers, and platoon's of Ukraine military, along with those hurrying some where else. Outside well organized are portable latrines, out would step a policeman in riot gear and than next to him would come some para military pimple faced kid from the Right Sector. You could see some one with an affiliation to Ukrainian nationalism, discussing matters with an Orthodox Father. Vendors were selling trinkets and there flowers and Ukraine flags for sale as well. Plus the snails (mobile coffee kiosks) selling espresso.

The fences were well guarded by the military posted every ten meters, but they were back to the fence. Some took foto's others went about there business. It seems there is no interest for the far right. For every Nationalist there were ten policeman and military milling about. Further away the police were controlling trucks before allowing them to get closer, which seems like an intelligent precaution.

It certainly is not a tense situation. In fact it was more Kafkaesque than anything sinister. 

Online AvHdB

Poroshenko Vows Push To Create Anticorruption Court By Year's End
https://www.rferl.org/a/poroshenko-vows-push-create-anticorruption-court-by-yearend/28807413.html

I wonder what he is smokin?

Currently M. Martynenko an ex-lawmaker is under investigation for embezelling to the tune of 17 million. Presently two of the top of Ukraine's Defense Ministry are accused of corruption a mere 5.5 million. Presently a law is working its way through the Rada that will not prosecute the noted plus many others who are corrupt.

On another front it seems the water of the entire city of Kiev will be turned off (I doubt that will happen) but the water company has not paid the electric bill and diverted those funds too . . .

Yes there are numerous calls for reform, but the status qua of fraud, bribery and corruption is so deeply inbeded in society that I do not see a near term solution.