The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Discussion about Media Article Links on the Troubles in Ukraine/Novorossiya Topic  (Read 41589 times)

Offline WestCoast

I'm sure you'll agree, in the interests of total transparency the identity of the individual(s) being interviewed and the owners of the media should be revealed as much as possible.   

For example in Manny's example it's obvious that Sergei Lavrov is the Russian foreign minister. He's identified as such in the article. What readers might not realize is that RBTH - Russia Beyond The Headlines - is a Russian government owned and operated media outlet. In Manny's example a Russian government owned and operated media outlet is interviewing a Russian government official.

Even Manny agrees that most if not all government officials, no matter the country, are corrupt and/or incompetent. The same can be said for government owned and operated enterprises. This is why total transparency is necessary.

Without total transparency readers might think they're reading news when in fact all they're reading is government propaganda.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Halo

Links banned at ukraine. Fresh information and maps online (in English).

http://en.voicesevas.ru/

http://cassad.net/?do=warmarker

It can't be considered as government propaganda, people work for free at this resource.

I would hazard a guess those links aren't banned in Ukraine.  Unlike Russia, Ukraine does not have "government friendly" media sources.  Report what you want when you want.

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
It can't be considered as government propaganda, people work for free at this resource.

No, but a non-government owned site can parrot government propaganda and use the same narratives of government propaganda serving as an echo chamber  tiphat
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Net_Lenka

I would hazard a guess those links aren't banned in Ukraine.  Unlike Russia, Ukraine does not have "government friendly" media sources.  Report what you want when you want.
Ukraine just bans Russian TV channels, kills and kidnaps "alien" journalists and used to post a lot of "facts" said by officials not bothering to provide any proves Otherwise that - "report what you want"

Information portal of Donetsk Republic  http://dnrespublika.info
wish to know what's going on in South West of the Ukraina - let see what people who live exactly THERE think
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5

No, but a non-government owned site can parrot government propaganda and use the same narratives of government propaganda serving as an echo chamber  tiphat

Ты можешь повторять эту мантру про пропаганду  до посинения, но факты - вещь упрямая.

Да, убери наконец подпись под своим профайлом, у тебя нет ничего общего с моей Россией.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20

Ты можешь повторять эту мантру про пропаганду  до посинения, но факты - вещь упрямая.

Да, убери наконец подпись под своим профайлом, у тебя нет ничего общего с моей Россией.

Propaganda need not be solely voiced by the state. Quite often, the state can influence what is said. This can be done by threatening (directly or indirectly) news sources, intimidating them, to toe the "party line" and report as the government wants them to report. Thus, even if the agency reporting the news is not directly state-owned, it can still be furthering the aims of the state by broadcasting state propaganda...
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Halo

Ukraine just bans Russian TV channels, kills and kidnaps "alien" journalists and used to post a lot of "facts" said by officials not bothering to provide any proves Otherwise that - "report what you want"

Information portal of Donetsk Republic  http://dnrespublika.info
wish to know what's going on in South West of the Ukraina - let see what people who live exactly THERE think

One can watch Russian television in Kyiv.  Even now.  One can read Russian newspapers online.  No media in Ukraine is, by necessity, "government friendly", as is the case with Russia, although TV5 is owned by Poroshenko (and was, long before he became president), and I will not deny that different media sources have different sympathies.

The Ukrainian government announced it would stop some propaganda emanating from Russia.  As Russian reports routinely declare ATO will kill all residents of the Donbass, during a period of war, where the enemy uses blatantly false propaganda, I don't find this startling or unacceptable.  Furthermore, nobody needs the garbage appearing on Russian so called "news" such as that ATO crucifies Ukrainian toddlers or that the PM is part of a Satanic cult bent on destroying Orthodoxy.  What is even more galling is that these reports are crafted, and reported, by the progeny of the former Soviet nomenklatura, the very Bolshevik scum that sent priests to gulags, ensured anyone down to a church washerwoman was approved by the KGB, and ensured the Church served the state, not the people.  Now these "defenders of Orthodoxy" are using the church for their own nefarious purposes.  :sick0012: :sick0012: :sick0012:

Here is a report of refugees living among the "fascist Banderivtsi" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgG5HjntVc#t=167

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
Короче, Ленка, нехай они тут исключительно censor.net хавают. Сказки на ночь - полезная вещь, главное, совесть спит спокойно.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Halo

I do read censor.net, though with a jaundiced eye.  But it is hardly the only source I read, and its reports, even if presented with a pro ATO bent, have proven accurate more often than not.  It has made one false report, and apologized for it when it was discovered.  I even read Russian sites.  It is only by reading broadly will one discern the truth.  I realize that this is a foreign concept for all you brainwashed former commies.

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
Even Manny agrees............

Doesnt matter what I agree with or not.

I'd prefer you didn't keep broadcasting what you imagine to be my opinion though. You habitually distort what you read and then repeat it in a form beyond recognition.

Offline MrMann

• Trips: 5-10
Where did my post go?

Offline WestCoast

Even Manny agrees............

Doesnt matter what I agree with or not.

I'd prefer you didn't keep broadcasting what you imagine to be my opinion though. You habitually distort what you read and then repeat it in a form beyond recognition.

You present Russian government opinion as fact and use it so often it appears you are being paid by the Russian government to spread their propaganda. All in all I'm by far the lesser of two evils.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Where did my post go?

And mine! Seems we have mods from RT....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+

Offline Halo

Links banned at ukraine. Fresh information and maps online (in English).

http://en.voicesevas.ru/

http://cassad.net/?do=warmarker

I asked my nephew to try your links.  He could access them, notwithstanding the fact he lives in the fascist capital.