The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tattoos & Piercings Lose Favor in Russia  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Tattoos & Piercings Lose Favor in Russia
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
Felicitous news, at least to me.  I wish Levada had provided numbers broken down by respondents' ages.  I would love to get a better understanding of the attitudes of RW under age 40 on these things.

Tattoos, Piercings Lose Favor in Russia

Russians are now more opposed to plastic surgery, tattoos and body piercings than they were eight years ago, a poll published Thursday revealed.

The percentage of Russians who view plastic surgery "negatively or very negatively" jumped from 45 to 68 percent between 2006 and 2014, according to the Levada Center, the independent research center in Moscow that conducted the poll. Russia ranked 23rd in the world in terms of turning to plastic surgery in 2012, according to the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Russians have also become more inimical to tattoos and piercings, albeit in a smaller measure than their skyrocketing dislike of plastic surgery. Since 2006, the percentage of Russians who view tattoos negatively has increased from 73 to 78 percent, while the percent of those who frown upon piercings has increased 5 percent, from 76 to 82 percent.

The survey, which was conducted in early August among 1,600 people in 46 Russian regions and had a 3.4 percent margin of error, also revealed that six percent of Russians have tattoos, and a mere one percent of the population have body piercings.

In comparison, one in five American adults has at least one tattoo, according to Harris, an American market research firm.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/tattoos-piercings-lose-favor-in-russia/505143.html

I'm happy to hear that Leysa is an extreme outlier among RW:

Stupid love? Or just stupid? Russian women lets new tattoo artist boyfriend ink his name on her face 24 hours after first meeting

‘I’d like him to tattoo every inch of my body,’ says Lesya after allowing man she just met in internet chat room autograph her face. Now they plan on getting hitched!

Romantic... or off the wall crazy?

A Russian woman let her new ‘boyfriend’ tattoo his name across her face - less than 24 hours after they first met.

The woman, named only as Lesya, allowed tattoo artist Rouslan Toumaniantz to ink the word 'Ruslan' on her in giant Gothic script.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/woman-lets-man-tat-face-24-hous-meeting-article-1.1255541

At the link above there are photos of Leysa's face before and after the tattoo.  I'm having trouble with photos.  If someone else is willing to post her photo in a response I would appreciate it.

Offline tzwd72

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Tattoos & Piercings Lose Favor in Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
It's official...I'm not have children....
I kept telling the ladies in my country what I wanted...they pissed themselves laughing...

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »
One of our members posted a link to the Mordinson agency - in looking through their videos (not all girls have videos), imagine my surprise when this girl can be seen to have a tongue stud.

http://www.mordinson.com/cgi-bin/312-ukrainian-Kharkov-girls.pl
Anchors Rewoven

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »
I don't believe any of my wife's friends in Ukraine have tats. Very few of the guys as well. Many of the girls do have pierced belly buttons from what I have seen. I suppose it depends on someones circle of friends like many places. 

Offline Anathema

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
Eck, dirty inkies! ;D

I don't mind a tattoo or two but it's a huge turn off to me when a beautiful girl is covered in ink.  I had a former co-worker who is a beautiful, petite blonde with a great body.  She has full sleeves on both arms, full back piece, her chest is covered in ink and most of her legs.  :sick0012:

Whatever blows your skirt up I guess.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
One of our members posted a link to the Mordinson agency - in looking through their videos (not all girls have videos), imagine my surprise when this girl can be seen to have a tongue stud.

http://www.mordinson.com/cgi-bin/312-ukrainian-Kharkov-girls.pl

Wow, I've seen her video before, but never even noticed the tongue stud. Hmmm. Yeah, I'd definitely kick her out of bed for that  ;D

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »
Eck, dirty inkies! ;D

I don't mind a tattoo or two but it's a huge turn off to me when a beautiful girl is covered in ink.  I had a former co-worker who is a beautiful, petite blonde with a great body.  She has full sleeves on both arms, full back piece, her chest is covered in ink and most of her legs.  :sick0012:

Whatever blows your skirt up I guess.

Tattoos on women in America has become rampant! Honestly it's become "the thing to have". The girls I date that don't have them or piercings, I tell them to NOT get inked or pierced if they want to stand out from the crowd.

For me, I can probably look past one or two small ones if they're in inconspicuous spots, but overall they're a big turn-off. Just another reason why FSUW are more attractive to me  :thumbsup:

Offline Odessarents

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
Tattoo's are just as big in Ukraine now as they are in the west , I have lived in Odessa 10 years and when I first came here in 2004 there was only 2 place to get tattoo's , Now in city center alone there are 8 places to get them, I have seen more women with them every year here.

They have them on there legs , the back of there ass , there shoulders and  arms , there necks etc and they are some of the worst tattoo's I have ever seen, They think tattoo's are fashionable to get like the small dog in a purse. also age of the women means nothing I have seen ladies from 18 to 50 with brand new tattoo's and not just 1 tattoo but several

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
I'll break my observations about piercings and tattoos regarding the FSU into another post and just navigate the happy inky couple in this post  :innocent:

Lesya is/was? a real cutie, of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder)

Before, although she had multiple tattoos already, including on her face. I've heard tell in my hood that those should come with a business card of a competent defense lawyer xexexe.

After, in a particularly candid (my apologies) and uncomfortable picture just after the work, go ahead read into it at your leisure

I'll spare you any pix of the freaky Belgian dude, but here's a link in Dutch, along with more info about why he was already "famous".
http://www.welingelichtekringen.nl/samenleving/138375/weer-krijgt-meisje-gezichtstatoeage-met-de-naam-van-haar-vriend-tatoeeerder.html

Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »

Felicitous news, at least to me.

I wish Levada had provided numbers broken down by respondents' ages.  I would love to get a better understanding of the attitudes of RW under age 40 on these things.

Can only speak from my personal point of view - means the one from a Moscow-based fitness club shower.

Saturday, 21st of February, 2015. Local time approx. 13:30.

Out of 8 women in sauna \ shower area 3 had tatoos.

One was approx. 25 y.o., decent body, some floral design tatooed where ass and back meet.

Another approx. 35-40 y.o., a bit too muscular for a woman, has her right arm (from elbow to shoulder) covered with what I'd describe as "heavy male biker's tatoo".

Third woman - 45 y.o. at least, overweight, had two phrases (I think in English... hard to read due skin transformation) one at the ass \ back meeting point, another on left side (ending somewhere under the breast).

P.S.
It's a "middle class" fitness club - not a cheap one, but not an "exclusive" either.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Larry

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
Terrific post, Olga Mouse  tiphat

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »

Terrific post, Olga Mouse  tiphat

You're welcome Larry :)

One of the reasons why I've noticed all these tattoos is that 3 out of 8 seemed an unusually high percentage to me.

I also think it's something about "working women". On Saturdays the fitness-club is crowded - that's why I rarely go there on that particular day of the week; usually trying to attend power aerobics classes around noon, from Monday to Friday. This is the typical "housewives" time (husbands at work \ kids not yet back from school) - and I don't remember seeing ANY tattoos previously... 

???

Offline Fussy

• Spouses Country: Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:02 AM »
Probably the piercings lose favour when they hear that the Xray at the airport will be replaced by an MRI....

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »

I refer to these as "Graffiti" and "Shrapnel".  :chuckle:

On of my regulars is heavily tatted, but manages to pull it off.  I dislike it, generally.  I told her that she is only permitted one more tattoo, which is to read "PROPERTY OF B/B" in block letters.  :chuckle:

I've told her that I am going to tell her father to hug her tightly and tell her he loves her every day for a month, so she can stop getting inked.

One was approx. 25 y.o., decent body, some floral design tatooed where ass and back meet.

. . . . .

Third woman - 45 y.o. at least, overweight, had two phrases (I think in English... hard to read due skin transformation) one at the ass \ back meeting point, another on left side (ending somewhere under the breast).

We typically call this the "small of the back", and a tattoo at this location is called a "Tramp Stamp".  ;D

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
tattoo at this location is called a "Tramp Stamp".  ;D
I've heard it called that in UK as well - funny as we call a tramp what you guys call a "bum" ;D
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
I am a clean slate myself but don't mind some ink on my women as long as they don't skimp on the artwork.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »

A fighter Jeff Monson made a tatoo with "Motherland" statue from Volgograd:

http://lenta.ru/news/2015/03/03/monson/

Offline AJ

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »
Probably the piercings lose favour when they hear that the Xray at the airport will be replaced by an MRI....

No piercings, but I've likely got enough Ti metal in me to fund a couple guys entire FSU search. :chuckle:
Most airport security doesn't catch it..
a few places do (wash-DC/ Dulles is one) as its likely set up a bit  tighter there.

As far as FSU culture, I have a couple of Tatts.
Generally there it was considered *convict/prison*
a decade ago.While still a bit negative, and not as popular as in the west, the views have changed considerably over the last  years.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

As far as FSU culture, I have a couple of Tatts.
Generally there it was considered *convict/prison*a decade ago.

AJ, I suppose you're mixing up "artistic" tattoos and "convict \ prison" ones.

While the first ones are being done just for fun, the topics (motives?) and exact locations of convicts' tattoos are strictly limited - and they are designed to show its bearer's status in the prison \ camp hierarchy (how many times he has been convicted, for what type of the crime, etc.).

A man who dares to make "high status" prison \camp tattoos without "deserving" it risks a lot, 'cause other prisoners would surely consider it disrespectful.

Offline AJ

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
Well here-
 *Know ReGrats *
 on your neck is pretty much a prison tatt.
Not sure of the hierarchy level  :chuckle:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
A man who dares to make "high status" prison \camp tattoos without "deserving" it risks a lot, 'cause other prisoners would surely consider it disrespectful.

Right... I recalled i saw this documentary some time ago  :scared0005:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Olga_Mouse

Tattoos & Piercings - weekly report from Russia
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Especially for Larry - next report from the fitness-club ladies showers area:

out of 4 women only the one (supposedly the youngest, approx. 20 y.o.) with 3 tattoos:

- "tramp stamp" - 2 red cherries and one green leaf;

- on the neck - some words;

- on the left calf ("meat" side, not the "bone" side) - a black owl? [looked quite strange, rather like a child's drawing...]

Offline Larry

Re: Tattoos & Piercings - weekly report from Russia
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Especially for Larry - next report from the fitness-club ladies showers area:

Thank you, Olga. I was hoping we would get a new report soon. tiphat

I hate the neck tattoos. :(

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
I have the name of the Welsh town in which I was born tattooed on my penis - "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch".

Manny is also from Wales, in 'Rhyl' but doesn't like to talk about his tattoo....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
I have the name of the Welsh town in which I was born tattooed on my penis - "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch".

Manny is also from Wales, in 'Rhyl' but doesn't like to talk about his tattoo....
I have Miss on mine, reads Mississippi when........ :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Registration